HM vs STA, bigger AD question related

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

thestickler07

HM vs STA, bigger AD question related

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:20 am

Ok so both the Pioneers and the Cadets have had a lot of success in a variety of sports, (obviously hockey included) for quite awhile.

Suffice to say HM and STA have pretty much run the CSC since its inception.

There are exceptions to this of course (Simley's great wrestling) but no other school has close to the same level of clear consistent winning that us two seem to have strung together.

Maybe is it time to strike out on our own? Play with some suburban schools that might have more resources than say a South St. Paul or a Richfield.

Seeing STA in the SSC or HM in the SEC I think would be a new chapter for both programs. I'm sure there wouldn't be a ton of support for the move from the SSC or SEC's side, considering Cretin had to be placed there, but what do you HM folks think of any changes? Same with any Cadets around here?

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:04 am

The only sport I could see H-M making a change in would be hockey. Switching to an independent schedule would make sense as the conference is obviously weak in hockey. However, they fit well in the CSC in all other sports and would not make sense for them to make a change.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:46 am

STA is dominant and swimming and alpine skiing, HM in hockey. What other sports are you referring to?

Football has been a 3-4 team race every year, with STA being good but not consistently at the top until the last couple years and HM being the 4th team, this year the CSC was the best soccer conference in the state, neither dominate in basketball but compete, neither in nordic or wrestling, HM in baseball, but neither in track.

This is like the Holy Angels in Missota question that often gets brought up, but not as convincing, imo. Even in hockey, these two have usually been toward the top but not dominant; HM lost to Richfield recently, STA has played good games with Maht, SSP and Tartan (who also has won the conference) and both are down to playing three conf teams only once, a luxury they wouldn't be afforded in many conferences.

I don't think this would make sense even for the sports they are good in. Just my two cents, but what do I know \:D/

slacsap

Post by slacsap » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:15 am

As part of the process,the MSHSL requires a school looking for a conference to apply to three conferences and if it is not accepted, the MSHSL will place it in a conference. When the TCS broke up, Hill-Murray applied to both the Suburban East and the South Suburban, which was the Lake Conference at that time. It was rejected by both and the High School League ended up placing it in the Classic Suburban, which, as noted aboe, has been a good competitive fit, except for hockey. I doubt you will find either HM or STA looking to move to a new confeerence any time soon.