Happy's Rankings 12/16/12

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HappyHockeyFan

Happy's Rankings 12/16/12

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:55 am

OK for starters let me just say that this seems to be one of the more difficult early seasons to rank teams in the past few years, at this time there appears to be less of a gap between the top 10 teams and then again the top twenty teams. There is room for legitimate debate at just about every position at this time. With that said, here we go !!

Co -#1 - Edina (6-0) 5 Votes - Edina played no games this week but moved into first place by virtue of Hillmurray's loss to Class A team St Thomas Academy. I currently have them in a tie with Minnetonka because I just cant find any evidence that tells me one is better than the other. Looking forward to seeing the Hornets back on the ice at the end of this week in the Edina Classic. There will some great opportunities for some teams to knock Edina off the top of the hill as Grand Rapids, Eden Prairie and Elk River come to Play.

Co -#1 - Minnetonka (7-0) 5 Votes - A couple of wins this past week, one a little close for comfort in OT against Maple Grove and a convincing win over Roseau. Like I said above I have them tied for first place because I really cant find a reason to put one over the other. This week they have 2 games, Stillwater and Moorhead.

#3 - Hillmurray - (5-1) - Tough loss to St Thomas drops the Pioneers out of first place, but they will be ready to pounce should Edina or Tonka falter this week. 3 games ahead for the Pioneers this week, rival WBL, Tartan and NSP, all 3 could be potential trouble if they are not careful.

#4 - Wayzata - (6-1) - Wayzata also had no games this past week, so there is no reason to move them at this point. This week only one game on the schedule against Stillwater.

#5 - Blaine - (4-0-1) - Big win for Blaine over BSM moves them 6 spots and into the top 5. This week its a cake walk against Armstrong and then strong matchup against Moorhead.

#6 - BSM - (3-2) - Tough loss against Blaine drops the Red Knights out of the top 5. Probably nothing to worry about, just some early season rust, they will have plenty of opportunities to move back up the ladder with a solid season schedule. This week its Maple Grove, Duluth Marshall and Hibbing.

#7 - Burnsville (4-2) - They lose a spot due to Blaine moving up ahead of them. A couple of conference wins this past week but nothing special. Big game this week against Eagan at home that will have big implications on staying where they are at or moving down. Apple Valley is also on the schedule later in the week.

#8 - Eagan - (4-2) - They also lose spot due to Blaine moving up ahead of them. They played a couple of entertaining conference games this past week against Lakeville South and Jefferson, coming away with victories in both. This week it is Burnsville on Tuesday in a Big game with an opportunity to move ahead of B'Ville with a win or move down with a loss. On Friday it's Prior Lake.

#9 - Duluth East (3-1) - They also lose a spot due to Blaine moving ahead of them. Only 4 games played thus far, still looking for more to get a better picture of what this team is about. This week a couple of challenging games that will help us out with that against Centennial and Andover.

#10 - Grand Rapids (5-1) - Not sure how much longer I can keep this team down here. They had a good win over Duluth Marshall this past week. The Eagan/B'ville matchup will probably determine which of those teams they move ahead of coupled with some successful play in the Edina Classic this week against Edina, Eden Prairie and Elk River.

#11 - Elk River
#12 - Centennial
#13 - Holy Family
#14 - Andover
#15 - Moorhead
#16 - Roseau
#17 - Eden Prairie
#18 - Cloquet
#19 - Moundsview
#20 - Holy Angels

5 teams to watch

Forest Lake
Hastings
Jefferson
Maple Grove
White Bear Lake
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:07 am

Happy - No Lakeville North, anywhere in top 20 or teams to watch? They have had an impressive week. 1 goal loss to Burnsville and beat EP

joris016

Post by joris016 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:29 am

Forest Lake in your teams to watch? Really? Why? They lost 5-2 this past week to a mediocre Roseville team and they also got crushed 11-6 by Mounds View (who looks like the team to beat in SEC this year, along with Hastings). Why you have Forest Lake and not MV in your teams to watch is confusing.

TheJet

Post by TheJet » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:02 am

SuperStar wrote:Happy - No Lakeville North, anywhere in top 20 or teams to watch? They have had an impressive week. 1 goal loss to Burnsville and beat EP
And a 6-2 loss in there as well....

MNhockey29

Post by MNhockey29 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:30 am

Joris016
Hey bud maybe if you learned how to read, he had mounds view ranked #19. Not under teams to watch. Forest Lake has a solid team, they just struggle on the road vs Roseville and moundsview.

PassittoMcConnell

Re: Happy's Rankings 12/16/12

Post by PassittoMcConnell » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:51 am

#17 - Eden Prairie

The biggest surprises for me so far are Blaine's surge up to number 5 and the big win against BSM along with a .500 EP squad. I thought EP would be very strong coming into this season both at the forward positions and goaltending.

Vapor

Post by Vapor » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Tonka playing as a team will be tough to beat. Really moved the puck against a good Roseau team.

joris016

Post by joris016 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:05 pm

@MNhockey29
my fault, honest mistake.

joris016

Post by joris016 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:07 pm

@MNhockey29

glad you attacked my ability to read though. BTW, if "Forest Lake has a solid team" then why do they "struggle on the road" vs a Roseville team that is by all means having a down year? A solid team shouldn't struggle that way. A solid team gets by Roseville. Any way, thanks again on letting me know that I should learn how to read. I'll get right on that.

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 pm

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
Co -#1 - Edina (6-0) 5 Votes - Edina played no games this week but moved into first place by virtue of Hillmurray's loss to Class A team St Thomas Academy. I currently have them in a tie with Minnetonka because I just cant find any evidence that tells me one is better than the other. Looking forward to seeing the Hornets back on the ice at the end of this week in the Edina Classic. There will some great opportunities for some teams to knock Edina off the top of the hill as Grand Rapids, Eden Prairie and Elk River come to Play.

[[/b][/b]
i think i got a piece of evidence to help you out here

Edina 8 Maple grove 1
Tonka 4 Maple grove 3 OT
i realize you cant make the point that a team is better than another by score but this is quite drastic

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:48 pm

SuperStar wrote:Happy - No Lakeville North, anywhere in top 20 or teams to watch? They have had an impressive week. 1 goal loss to Burnsville and beat EP
I will agree they probably do belong there, I should probably not limit my teams to watch to just 5.

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:50 pm

joris016 wrote:Forest Lake in your teams to watch? Really? Why? They lost 5-2 this past week to a mediocre Roseville team and they also got crushed 11-6 by Mounds View (who looks like the team to beat in SEC this year, along with Hastings). Why you have Forest Lake and not MV in your teams to watch is confusing.
I might be giving them too much credit yet for beating Grand Rapids, we will see if they remain after this weeks results. Moundsview is not in my teams to watch because I have them ranked #19.

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:08 am

PassittoMcConnell wrote:#17 - Eden Prairie

The biggest surprises for me so far are Blaine's surge up to number 5 and the big win against BSM along with a .500 EP squad. I thought EP would be very strong coming into this season both at the forward positions and goaltending.
Blaine has been a bit of a surprise so far, I have not seen them play yet but I am hearing they have great team chemistry and move the puck very well. EP is struggling early but yet they have the talent to be a much better team. Time is still on their side to get things turned around.
Last edited by HappyHockeyFan on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:12 am

green4 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:

[[/b][/b]

Edina 8 Maple grove 1
Tonka 4 Maple grove 3 OT
i realize you cant make the point that a team is better than another by score but this is quite drastic
Thats why I try not to put too much emphasis on a single game. The difference in score could just be a result of MG being a better team than they were the first game of the season, its a growing process.

tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:13 am

green4 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:

[[/b][/b]

Edina 8 Maple grove 1
Tonka 4 Maple grove 3 OT
That was by far Minnetonka's worst game of the year. Just like Edina barely squeezed one out against Prior Lake 2-1...it's tough to have an amazing game every single game. Tonka bounced back from that nail biter and took care of business up at Roseau in their best offensive game this season. I think Edina and Tonka are a clear step ahead of everyone else right now. I really hope they meet up in the Schwans Championship next week!

Lowstickside

12/16 rankings

Post by Lowstickside » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:16 am

#6 BSM beats #20 AHA in a 11-1 disaster, how can that team be ranked at all? Not saying much for MSHSL hockey if this is true. Can someone get beat like that and be ranked? seriously?

SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Your assessment of the Suburban East teams seems pretty accurate based on the first 6 - 8 games. Every team in the confrence has the chance on any given evening to beat the next. from what I have seen most will depend on consistancy. Most the teams listed; that consistancy will depend on Goaltending as well as the play of their defenseman. Some of the scores are lopsided, with some sloppy goals findnig their way into the back of the net. Their are some crafty forwards in this confrence so scoring should continue. Either way - this should be what all hockey fans want - each game means something, and its sure to be a wild ride game in and game out. enjoy it.

chief22

Re: 12/16 rankings

Post by chief22 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Lowstickside wrote:#6 BSM beats #20 AHA in a 11-1 disaster, how can that team be ranked at all? Not saying much for MSHSL hockey if this is true. Can someone get beat like that and be ranked? seriously?
i'm with you lowstick...no one in the top 20 should lose 11-1 ever. i don't care if they're banged up or its a full moon or refs are against them (all the excuses the DJ uses when talking about his Indians every year) 11-1 loss and you're out.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:34 pm

Lowstickside wrote:#6 BSM beats #20 AHA in a 11-1 disaster, how can that team be ranked at all? Not saying much for MSHSL hockey if this is true. Can someone get beat like that and be ranked? seriously?
I was thinking the same thing. Also surprised Cloquet is ranked. They haven't beaten anybody above them, and have lost to two teams below them. :roll:

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:29 pm

BodyShots wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Also surprised Cloquet is ranked. They haven't beaten anybody above them, and have lost to two teams below them. :roll:
I think that is fair criticism, I think I probably was holding on to an idea that Holy Angels is better than that and will show that as the season goes on. I also try not to be too hard on teams for losing to a team that is ahead of them, especially that far ahead. I also try not to put too much stock into scores, rather just win loss. I did not see the game but perhaps it wasnt just a bad night for the skaters, maybe the goalie had an especially bad night. Either way, they are on a very short leash at this point, its win or drop for them this week.

Lowstickside

Post by Lowstickside » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:59 pm

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
I think that is fair criticism, I think I probably was holding on to an idea that Holy Angels is better than that and will show that as the season goes on. I also try not to be too hard on teams for losing to a team that is ahead of them, especially that far ahead. I also try not to put too much stock into scores, rather just win loss. I did not see the game but perhaps it wasnt just a bad night for the skaters, maybe the goalie had an especially bad night. Either way, they are on a very short leash at this point, its win or drop for them this week.
BSM pulls top line for the third, AHA goalie with 44 saves, so seemingly played ok. This could have been worse. Not looking to slam the team, just don't get it. I thought you were way off on this one.

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:53 pm

Lowstickside wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
BSM pulls top line for the third, AHA goalie with 44 saves, so seemingly played ok. This could have been worse. Not looking to slam the team, just don't get it. I thought you were way off on this one.
Seems your not alone, lol, cant really disagree with you either. One of my "Teams to Watch" might have been a better choice, Holy Angels weak schedule this week wont help them out either.