Cambidge Isanti could have been a force!!!

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mr Hockey

Cambidge Isanti could have been a force!!!

Post by Mr Hockey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:26 pm

The Cambridge Isanti youth hockey association has these players now playing with other high schools in the state or playing juniors across the country. If these five would have played at their home high school could they have been a force to be reckoned with in section 7AA? Four of them elected to play at private schools however none of them went to the same private school.

They have two on the NHL scouting bureau in Jalen Schulz (playing Juniors this year with Corpus Christi in the NAHL and Formerly with Totino Grace. Blake Heinrich plays for the Sioux City Musketeers formerly with Hill Murray and a future UMD Bulldog.

Mike Olson is a speedy defenseman that starts for Totino Grace, Jesse Norling is averaging a point a game for Blaine, And Seth Chumley has four points for Benilde St. Margarets.

Not bad coming from youth association that has an average of 20-25 bantams per year. The whole association boys and girls has proabably a total of 200 if that.

You hear about this a lot in the true metro but for an association outside of the metro to have this happen is pretty rare I believe.

Mr Hockey

Totino

Post by Mr Hockey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:32 pm

I guess two went to Totino so I was wrong on that.

BlueLineSpecial

Re: Cambidge Isanti could have been a force!!!

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Mr Hockey wrote:The Cambridge Isanti youth hockey association has these players now playing with other high schools in the state or playing juniors across the country. If these five would have played at their home high school could they have been a force to be reckoned with in section 7AA? Four of them elected to play at private schools however none of them went to the same private school.

They have two on the NHL scouting bureau in Jalen Schulz (playing Juniors this year with Corpus Christi in the NAHL and Formerly with Totino Grace. Blake Heinrich plays for the Sioux City Musketeers formerly with Hill Murray and a future UMD Bulldog.

Mike Olson is a speedy defenseman that starts for Totino Grace, Jesse Norling is averaging a point a game for Blaine, And Seth Chumley has four points for Benilde St. Margarets.

Not bad coming from youth association that has an average of 20-25 bantams per year. The whole association boys and girls has proabably a total of 200 if that.

You hear about this a lot in the true metro but for an association outside of the metro to have this happen is pretty rare I believe.
Right around tourney time last year this topic came up. There were several others as well. Coulda been a powerhouse!

Mr Hockey

Cambridge BLaine

Post by Mr Hockey » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Blaine AA Bantams 2 Cambridge A Bantams 1 last night. How many of those Cambridge kids will leave and go to a different high school?

HShockeywatcher

Re: Cambridge BLaine

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Mr Hockey wrote:Blaine AA Bantams 2 Cambridge A Bantams 1 last night. How many of those Cambridge kids will leave and go to a different high school?
I know it's not a popular view on this board, but my question is rather; why are the kids who left leaving?

I've only been to the area a couple times, so I can't even begin to speculate about anything, but at the end of the day there is a reason they leave. If they were that good, it was likely not solely hockey.

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:07 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Mr Hockey wrote:Blaine AA Bantams 2 Cambridge A Bantams 1 last night. How many of those Cambridge kids will leave and go to a different high school?
I know it's not a popular view on this board, but my question is rather; why are the kids who left leaving?

I've only been to the area a couple times, so I can't even begin to speculate about anything, but at the end of the day there is a reason they leave. If they were that good, it was likely not solely hockey.
The area isn't bad at all, but probably for exposure reasons. Cambridge is typically sub .500 at the high school level and unless you're putting up numbers like Benik did at St. Francis it would be tough to get scouts to come watch. Seems to have worked out though, as Heinrich is committed to UMD and playing for Sioux City, Chumley won a State title last year with Benilde, and Norling has played in the tourney as a sophomore and possibly this year as captain of Blaine. Cambridge could have been better had they stayed, but with their section, chances are they never would have been better than a #5 seed IMO

MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:46 pm

This is the North Country Blue Devils correct? If so, that team is about half Mora and some Milaca kids, too.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:45 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:

They all left for Hockey reasons.

play hard

Post by play hard » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:21 pm

Not all of the boys left soley because of hockey. Cambridge high school dropped some of its classes. That was part of the decision to move for a couple of players. But yes, the high school hockey program lacked direction and vision for developing players.