Prep Schools vs Minnesota High Schools

denverhockey

Prep Schools vs Minnesota High Schools

Post by denverhockey » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:46 pm

Looking for advice.<br>Can anyone answer this question:<br><br>Are the New England prep high school hockey teams better than those in Minnesota?<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>

gr19

Re: Prep Schools vs Minnesota High Schools

Post by gr19 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:15 pm

The prep schools out east don't get to play in an NHL arena for 3 days in front of 19,000 fans and a statewide TV audience. Section 7 in northern MN has their semi's and title game at the DECC in Duluth (home of the UMD bulldogs) in front of over 5,000 fans. There's more passion for hockey in Minnesota, the State of Hockey. <p></p><i></i>

hillhockey

prep schools...HA!

Post by hillhockey » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:53 pm

well, if you look at when prep schools out east play MN high schools, you will see that the prep schools lose. <p></p><i></i>

STCplaya18

prep schools...HA!

Post by STCplaya18 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:14 pm

If you look at the rankings on ushsho.com, the top 21 teams in the nation are from MN and 36 out of the top 50 are Minnesota teams and our teams have beaten prep schools from out there already this season. <p></p><i></i>

Grovetown Scotty

Shattack

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:39 pm

If your kid is good enough and you can afford it look in to Shattuck-St. Marys Prep School in Faribault. This program kicks out more Division 1 and Pro prospects than any other school in Minnesota. <p></p><i></i>

ilovethepit

Re: Shattack

Post by ilovethepit » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:14 pm

New England schools do not come close to Minnesota schools. Holy Angels (AHA) mops up when they play east coast schools every year. <p></p><i></i>

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:06 pm

AHA does not nop up the teams oiut east. Last year they beat both teams, and when MSC came here a couple of years ago, they were beaten by AHA but the year before that AHA lost both games when they went out east. Both games were very close. <p>________________________________<br>Academy of Holy Angels<br>2005 GIRLS STATE CHAMPS!<br>2002 & 2005 BOYS STATE CHAMPS!!<br>GO STARS!!</p><i></i>

FreeAGENT

Post by FreeAGENT » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:13 pm

AHA also didn't have the talent they do this year. STARS <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>will</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> mop up Rhode Island. <p></p><i></i>

MassMan

MSC , CM not Prep schools

Post by MassMan » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:04 pm

For the record, Mount St Charles and Catholic Memorial, the two teams that AHA played last year, are not New England prep schools. The top New England prep schools are head and shoulders above these two programs.<br><br>Here are a few matchups that will shed some light...Blake traveled east a few weeks ago and played two below average NE prep teams. They lost a close game to the better of the two prep teams, and tied the other.<br><br>This year Catholic Memorial played two prep teams ... they were waxed by one of the top prep teams 9-0, and then beat an average prep team 3-0.<br><br>My opinion ... the top prep programs are better than the top MN high school programs. <p></p><i></i>

IJasonI

Prep Schools

Post by IJasonI » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:09 pm

Just a piece of info...<br><br>Prep schools refers to schools like Philips Exeter, Philips Andover and yes, Shattuck (although obviously, Shattuck is not out East). MSC is a high school.<br><br>On the matter of AHA vs. MSC this year, AHA will probably "mop up", but MSC is not a prep school. <p></p><i></i>

Spudmania

Re: Prep Schools

Post by Spudmania » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:04 am

New England Prep Schools are not even close to the talent level of the regular High Schools in Minnesota. It's called the "State of Hockey" for a reason <p></p><i></i>

MNPuckster27

MN High Schools vs. NE Prep Schools

Post by MNPuckster27 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:39 am

MassMan keep in mind that Blake is ranked between 5-8 in the class A (small school) rankings depending on what poll you are looking at. That would put them, IMO, at about 22-28th overall in the state at this point. Not a "top" MN team this year anyways.<br><br>However I do believe, based mostly on college players produced that the NE prep schools are just slightly ahead of teams like AHA, Hill, Centennial, Jefferson, etc. However in a year like this one for AHA (or their 2002 team) or a team like 04 Centennial or 00 Elk River wouldnt have a problem playing with and probably beating the NE prep schools.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>

starsalum

Re: MN High Schools vs. NE Prep Schools

Post by starsalum » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:36 pm

Correct me if Im wrong but arent the majority of prep school players at the age of 20 or older? If so, then I dont think you can really compare when some highschools have 15 year olds playing. <p></p><i></i>

denverhockey

Post by denverhockey » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:18 pm

Your answers are quite interesting and are greatly appreciated.<br><br>Do the MN public schools need to maintain a roster with players strictly from their district? If so, can a player transfer schools?<br>Would a private school then be at an advantage?<br><br>Also, why are those at the prep schools so much older? <p></p><i></i>

I35hockey

Post by I35hockey » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:41 pm

Obviously, you must be attending the school to play on the team. If you transfer, you must sit out half the season before you can play varsity. You can play jv immediately. <br><br>If the entire family moves into the district you can play immediately. <br><br>I'm not 100% on private school rulings, for example, if your whole family moved to Eden Prairie and you went to Holy Angels, do you have to sit out because you're technically a transfer from Eden Prairie's district?<br><br>All schools that compete at the high school level must abide by the rules of the Minnesota State High School League, including the private schools. <br><br>Perhaps more info can be found at:<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.mshsl.org" target="top">www.mshsl.org</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>This site should answer any transfer questions you may have.<br><br>I know that Albert Lea had a goalie transfer from Colorado into the high school last year, he moved in with his cousin's family and played JV for the first 13 games. He remained in school and is playing for them this, his senior, year. <p></p><i></i>

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:48 pm

The transfer rule as far as sitting out half the season only applies to a second transfer during high school. <p></p><i></i>

I35hockey

Post by I35hockey » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:56 pm

You are correct, but that's for instate transfers, if you transfer in from out of state, then the half season is immediate.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>