Bischoff vs Besse or Benilde vs Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Benilde or Grand Rapids

Poll ended at Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Benilde
64%
Grand Rapids
36%

Total votes: 22

mnhockey30

Bischoff vs Besse or Benilde vs Grand Rapids

Post by mnhockey30 »

Pick your poison who is going to win?
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

Too many horses in the Benilde barn. I'm hoping for GR but I don't think they can stop 'em all.

4-2 Benilde.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

If GR can find a way to play better in the 1st period they have a shot, especially with a goalie like Shepard. It will be interesting to see which players can and can't handle the frigid temps on Sat.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:If GR can find a way to play better in the 1st period they have a shot, especially with a goalie like Shepard. It will be interesting to see which players can and can't handle the frigid temps on Sat.
Most likely the fans in attendance will be feeling the cold more than the players. I've seen highs forecast for the 20s on Saturday, winds 5-15. Not all that bad for January. Though your point does have validity. Which team's players hit the outdoor rinks more - or at all - during the season to acclimate themselves to the harder ice, frosted lungs, sweat freezing beneath helmets, in gloves and skates, etc. that come from playing hockey outdoors?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I wish I could bring the kids up. They all skate of course,but what a fun game this one should be. Playing goalie outside can suck. Advantage Shepard. I going to pick Rapids4-1. [Home Ice temp]
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Forecast as of this morning calls for mid teens on Saturday, with snow showers and WNW winds near 20.

I'll be in the warmth of Amsoil Arena watching the Perkins Frenzy. Go Hounds and Hunters! :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Weather conditions may keep game close for a bit than Benilde will end up winning by 3-4 goals. Benilde wearing new uniforms tomorrow, really sharp.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

No contest.

:lol:
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

It's gonna be a chilly one out there tomorrow, bundle up! High of around 20 in the morning with temps falling around noon, winds 20-30 with a chance for some snow. At least there are no worries about mushy ice.

As for the game, I could see this being closer than people think with the conditions/weather factor. Rapids has to be able to keep Besse and his linemates in check and have excellent tending from Sheppard to have a chance. Hopefully it will be a great game, both teams have talented kids.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
MTStringer

Post by MTStringer »

Rapids 3-2 in OT.
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

Congrats to both teams, coaches, refs and fans for hanging tough and playing through those conditions. Looked like it was awfully cold.
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

It was VERY cold. Still a great day on the lake. Kudos to the Rapids boys on a nice victory. Guess thats why they actually PLAY the games and not let all the armchair experts decide the outcomes.
Wside

Post by Wside »

Beyond cold. Ground white out at times but it looked like everyone was having a gas. Rapids did a great job as host!!
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

Wside wrote:Beyond cold. Ground white out at times but it looked like everyone was having a gas. Rapids did a great job as host!!
Definitely brutal. The heated tent was a nice haven. Left early cause the toes were turning into ice blocks. Turned on my radio and got the quote of the day from the local announcers, "You have to give credit to Grand Rapidss for picking a very tough opponent for Hockey Day. Last year, Minnetonka picked a weak opponent in Duluth East and it was running time in the third." Is there a rivalry up here?

Great job by the hosts and nice venue. Although four of the goals were scored into the wind, when the elements are this extreme for hockey day (Bsm was into a 30 mph wind for two periods) they should consider playing four periods in order to balance out the elements factor. Definitely a home ice advantage today! Nice win for GR.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

SWPrez wrote:
Wside wrote:Although four of the goals were scored into the wind, when the elements are this extreme for hockey day (Bsm was into a 30 mph wind for two periods) they should consider playing four periods in order to balance out the elements factor. Definitely a home ice advantage today!
What they could have done is split the 3rd period in two and switched ends at the half-way point.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

SWPrez wrote:
Wside wrote:Beyond cold. Ground white out at times but it looked like everyone was having a gas. Rapids did a great job as host!!
Definitely brutal. The heated tent was a nice haven. Left early cause the toes were turning into ice blocks. Turned on my radio and got the quote of the day from the local announcers, "You have to give credit to Grand Rapidss for picking a very tough opponent for Hockey Day. Last year, Minnetonka picked a weak opponent in Duluth East and it was running time in the third." Is there a rivalry up here?

Great job by the hosts and nice venue. Although four of the goals were scored into the wind, when the elements are this extreme for hockey day (Bsm was into a 30 mph wind for two periods) they should consider playing four periods in order to balance out the elements factor. Definitely a home ice advantage today! Nice win for GR.
They should definitely change the rules of hockey to keep guys like you happy I totally agree. :roll: :roll:
eviemags

Post by eviemags »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
SWPrez wrote:
Wside wrote:Although four of the goals were scored into the wind, when the elements are this extreme for hockey day (Bsm was into a 30 mph wind for two periods) they should consider playing four periods in order to balance out the elements factor. Definitely a home ice advantage today!
What they could have done is split the 3rd period in two and switched ends at the half-way point.
That's what they did. Split overtime as well.
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

eviemags wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
SWPrez wrote: What they could have done is split the 3rd period in two and switched ends at the half-way point.
That's what they did. Split overtime as well.
Ah ok. I left before the third and didn't pick that up on the radio broadcast. Thanks.
norcon

Post by norcon »

SWPrez wrote:

All five goals were scored into the wind on the end where the ice was not affected by the snow and wind so much. What would be worse? Going into the wind on offense or backchecking against it? I think the latter.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Yeah, the wind and cold were impressive, but it is northern Minnesota in January. I saw many people very poorly prepared for the conditions. Those that geared-up wisely seemed fine through all three games, with or without a place to warm-up.

I thought it was meaningful that all the goals were against the wind. I figured Rapids had a chance in overtime when they survived the first half of it with the wind to their backs.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave