Section 8A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PuckSwami

Section 8A

Post by PuckSwami » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Well, here we are, give or take about 10 games left for each team. A big one tonight between TRF and EGF in EGF to see who really has the power in the section. Warroad beat Crookston in Crookston 10 days ago now Crookston is going to journey up to Warroad tonight to return that favor.

EGF has a win over Warroad, win over Crookston
Warroad has a win over TRF, a loss to TRF, and a win over Crookston
TRF has a win over Warroad, a loss to Warroad, 2 wins over Crookston
Crookston has losses to EGF, Warroad, and twice to TRF

That is pretty much the top 4 of Section 8A, all playing each other tonight. What are your thoughts, comments, predictions?

I'll hang up and listen

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Wow - gonna be a busy nite if they all gotta play each other.

PuckSwami

Post by PuckSwami » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 am

So, last night Warroad gives Crookston a big head start then plays five minutes of incredible hockey to win a scorefest 8-7! TRF blitzes EGF right out of the gate and takes the 6-2 win.

The current view of the top:

TRF - 6-1-0 in section
EGF - 5-1-0 in section
Warroad - 5-2-0 in section
Crox - 4-5-0 in section

TRF has played most of their 8A schedule with only the rematch with EGF in TRF left. But their next 6 are Duluth Denfeld, Duluth Marshall, Lake of the Woods, Breck, Roseau, and Moorhead all of which are in TRF except the Lake of the Woods game.

EGF still has rematches with Crookston next week in EGF and Warroad and TRF on the road. They also play at Red River and at Roseau.

Warroad, like TRF has gone through the toughest part of their 8A schedule with only the EGF rematch remaining. Also, like TRF, they face Marshall and Denfeld this weekend then their rematch with Roseau in Roseau

Crookston has the rematch with EGF in EGF, but also has the rematch with Park Rapids in what could be a battle for the #4 spot.

This section will be up in the air until February 2nd when EGF goes to TRF!

PuckSwami

Post by PuckSwami » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:09 am

Thursday night Crookston tightened it's grip on #4 in 8A and EGF makes a statement by shutting out Red River.

No big section games coming up tonight or over the weekend but there are some big games involving section teams being played the next few nights:

Friday
Bemidji @ EGF
Duluth Denfeld @ TRF
Lake of the Woods @ Park Rapids in Walker
Duluth Marshall @ Warroad

Saturday
Eveleth @ Red Lake Falls
Duluth Marshall @ TRF
Kittson Central @ Wadena
Duluth Denfeld @ Warroad
Detroit Lakes @ Fargo Davies

An interesting comment was made by poster Flin Flon in another discussion on this bored, sound like EGF Mayor Stauss is interested in making a proposal for EGF to host Hockey Day Minnesota in 2 years (2015?) to involve EGF vs TRF, Warroad, or Crookston down on the Red River.

PuckSwami

Post by PuckSwami » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:53 pm

TRF was 1:06 away from beating Breck on Friday EGF and Warroad skated to a tie on Saturday. The race for Section 8A is now down to a showdown between EGF and TRF next Tuesday, winner gets the first seed for the section, loser gets number two. I think Warroad going 1-1 with TRF and 0-1-1 with EGF has solidified them at three.

I see Crookston at 4 with a couple nice non section wins this past weekend but where do you go from there? Park Rapids? Kittson? Detroit Lakes?

Bauer Hockey

Post by Bauer Hockey » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Really After Crookston at 4 the section is really down Park,LOW,DL,And RLF nowhere near a few years ago. KCC and Bagley are improving, but have no depth and play a weak schedule so i don't see any team challenging really EGF,TRF, and Warroad. Crookston has no goalie to match the top 3.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:23 pm

By the way, maybe I missed it in here.
Where is the Section 8A tournament being held this year?

Prowlerhockey

Post by Prowlerhockey » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:30 pm

TTpuckster wrote:By the way, maybe I missed it in here.
tournament is being held in east grand forks this year.

PuckSwami

Post by PuckSwami » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Prowlerhockey wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:By the way, maybe I missed it in here.
tournament is being held in east grand forks this year.
Playin games are at the highest seed. Quarterfinals are at the highest seed, something new this year. Semifinals and championship are being held in EGF. As a 1, 2, or 3 seed, EGF will also host it's Quarterfinal game.

PuckSwami

Post by PuckSwami » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Section 8A boys hockey seeding results:

1: East Grand Forks
2: Thief River Falls
3: Warroad
4: Crookston
5: Kittson County Central
6: Park Rapids
7: Detroit Lakes
8: Lake of the Woods
9: Bagley/Fosston
10: Red Lake Falls

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/bracket/show ... son=100281

Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:25 am

WDAZ TV, Channel 8, out of Grand Forks announced last night on the broadcast and posted on their website that the Section 8A Championship game on 28 Feb at the East Grand Forks Civic Center will be broadcast live on WDAZ.

http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/16 ... up/Sports/

northfan

Post by northfan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:49 pm

The EGF team reminds me of the 06' TRF team. A very skilled team but very shaky goaltending.

moose jaw

Post by moose jaw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:08 am

Thief's 06 team had way more skill and depth compared to this egf team,looks to me egf is a two line team or at least it was the other night.the biggest problem with trfs 06 team,shaky head coach.

DekeDangler

EGF

Post by DekeDangler » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:14 am

[quote="moose jaw"]Thief's 06 team had way more skill and depth compared to this egf team,looks to me egf is a two line team or at least it was the other night.the biggest problem with trfs 06 team,shaky head coach.[/quote]

When you say the other night, are you talking about Roseau? I see EGF lost that one. Any idea what happen up there? Tired out? If you're talking about the TRF game, that was a good one but TRF didn't look like they were the same team. They must have had an off night.

northfan

Post by northfan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Had way more skill? To my knowledge only one kid played higher than a D3 level. As far as depth it was hard to tell because 3rd line deserved more ice time.

moose jaw

Post by moose jaw » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Well I guess will have to wait and see how many nhlers the current egf roster cranks out or for that matter d3 players :roll:

preferhockey

Post by preferhockey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:40 am

EGF should win section, however experience and coaching go to TRF.

DekeDangler

Post by DekeDangler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:33 am

How much success will EGF continue to have if they seem to skate just 2 lines, as some have mentioned? I thought this team was supose to have so much depth. I guess I'm starting to see and hear about a team that is getting tired and burning out. Very common at this point in the season for teams to experience that. Could a 2 line team be competitive at the X? How many lines does TRF consistantly run? How about other teams that are having a successful run?

preferhockey

Post by preferhockey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:25 am

With TV timeouts a one line team could compete. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by preferhockey on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:16 pm

northfan wrote:The EGF team reminds me of the 06' TRF team. A very skilled team but very shaky goaltending.
EGF's goalie is #9 in the state in GAA...

northfan

Post by northfan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Thats because of the team that plays in front of him. There is no team in this section that should keep the game out of running time if you look at how they have dominated youth hockey, select rosters, fall elite rosters, etc....

DekeDangler

Post by DekeDangler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:04 pm

[quote="northfan"]Thats because of the team that plays in front of him. There is no team in this section that should keep the game out of running time if you look at how they have dominated youth hockey, select rosters, fall elite rosters, etc....[/quote]

I wouldn't say that they have "dominated". They have played well but haven't had any double digit games that I can see. Not many running time games that I'm aware of. They have had a few close games with teams, that some say, they snuck away with a win. I might be reading into your statement the wrong way, but they are not a team that has consistantly shown that they can dominate.

northfan

Post by northfan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:14 pm

I am talking about numbers on the high profile teams and also youth hockey for the past several years when matched up with the Section A teams they compete with at the high school level. My point is they should be dominating. Maybe sometimes its a matter of having too many numbers.

DekeDangler

Post by DekeDangler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 pm

[quote="northfan"]I am talking about numbers on the high profile teams and also youth hockey for the past several years when matched up with the Section A teams they compete with at the high school level. My point is they should be dominating. Maybe sometimes its a matter of having too many numbers.[/quote]

Their dominance, or lack of, is a direct reflection of the coaching staff and their ability/inability to maximize and manage those individuals along with the rest of the team. So many times we say "team", when we really mean the handful of players that are lead to believe that they are this great gift to the team that will bask in their glory. The high profile players may contribute, but in order to have a successful team, you need them to buy into the fact that the team comes first. Or something to that affect.

I would think that to many numbers would be a good problem to have. More players to farm from.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:57 am

Can - will - Warroad be able to beat TRF in the semis?
I give crux no chance over EGF.

So, egf & TRF one more time this year?

I think it's EGF,
Despite the ? Here about being a team and coaching.