Parents Ruining Things for Kids

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

agate88

Parents Ruining Things for Kids

Post by agate88 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:43 pm

I wish I could say I didn't believe this...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... burst.html

Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Was that the Hermantown/North Branch A squirt tournament game?...I think I know that guy. :wink:

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:46 pm

I'll cave your glasses in and I won't even drop this baby. The Tournament!

GatorLand

Post by GatorLand » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:12 pm

I am not picking sides, but this is the reality of big kid meets small kid along the boards and big kid gets penalty.

Small kid dad knows this is going to happen every game and brings video camera for " evidence"

Big kid dad tired of son checking player with puck and ending up in penalty box.

Personally, I have a small kid and a big kid that play hockey and I realize that I need to stay away from other dads during the heat of the moment.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:07 am

Several thoughts:

1) Sad to say, but this is nothing where I live. Could be every game.

2) At this age checking is allowed and it looks like a very clean hit. I was super-small at 15, so I can relate to the plight of the "midget". I don't remember getting stuck like that and getting plowed...he needs to keep moving and avoid hits like that!!

3) The dad whose kid got obliterated handled it very well. He didn't complain about the hit one bit. Good for him. I don't have any problem with him telling the guy to have more respect for his son and I don't have any problem with him turning a camera toward the boorish man. It actually is a good way to suppress the behavior.

4) The thought process (PRO-cess since we're in Canada) isn't too refined. Call a boy a midget and then physically threaten an adult who reminds him a higher standard is in order? Classy.

5) The girl in his arms is going to be real pretty some day, have a date, and then wonder why nobody ever asks her out. Seriously, stopping by the door to take her out one time will be enough to scare off the first suitor and the experience will be so harrowing that word will get out to steer clear no matter what she looks like!!

6) I was interested in learning how to avoid situations like this and how to handle once they occur. Experts usually advocate steering clear of people that you could disagree with when you attend a youth sporting event. Hard to get far enough away when someone is so loud, but credit to the midget's dad because he seems to be leaving for another part of the building.

Fascinating to see the stuff on video and be able to rewatch. Thanks for sharing!!!
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:14 am

One more thing, I don't see "parents ruining things for kids" as indicated in the title of the thread. Granted, behavioral standards are different (worse) here, but this isn't a big deal. Any coach evaluating these kids should just think, "oh yeah...his dad's the loud guy," or, "son's small, dad is aware but doesn't seem to be overly protective." Seriously, these kids wouldn't even be aware the dads got into it. If the little guy didn't have fun it was from getting LIT UP like a Christmas tree.
Be kind. Rewind.

agate88

Post by agate88 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:07 am

The point of posting this isn't to debate the legality of the check. The point is this guy's behavior detracts from our sport and ultimately will humiliate his son/family/team. If you read the article it talks about this guy facing disciplinary action from Manitoba Hockey.

MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:42 pm

I thought oldgoalie85 lived in the North Metro? What the heck were you doing in Canada?

Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:07 pm

O-townClown wrote:One more thing, I don't see "parents ruining things for kids" as indicated in the title of the thread. Granted, behavioral standards are different (worse) here, but this isn't a big deal. Any coach evaluating these kids should just think, "oh yeah...his dad's the loud guy," or, "son's small, dad is aware but doesn't seem to be overly protective." Seriously, these kids wouldn't even be aware the dads got into it. If the little guy didn't have fun it was from getting LIT UP like a Christmas tree.
That explains the mime development within society...Clown, it's time for a career advancement.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:54 pm

I'm not that tall. My youngest is a squirt. I don't stand by my wife at games,[or very often period]

nobama

Post by nobama » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:29 am

running two lines the whole game vs the coach who runs three seems to be like a bigger problem that i have witnessed. Win goes to the two line coach what about playing with your buddies OH I CAN JUST WATCH THEM. [-X

I THOUGHT THE REASON WE HAD ASSOCIATION HOCKEY WAS TO KEEP IT EVEN FOR THE KIDS DEVELOPMENT.

KEEP IT EVEN OR HAVE TIER 1 :idea:

black sheep

Post by black sheep » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:55 pm

well then we have been ruining it for kids forever...but if my grandfather ruined it for my dad, and my dad ruined it for me, then why are my kids still playing????? So i can ruin it for them???? So they can ruin it for their kids????

it used to be if you were good enough you were good enough...not now...parents need to make sure everyone gets the same...watch every practice, take notes at every game.

the right to earn an opprotunity is the only thing that should be equal

BlaineJGA

Post by BlaineJGA » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:17 pm

I love the parents that tell the coach at the end of the day its about winning. The next game the coach listens to the parents and shortens the bench in the third period to win the game and the parent in the stands times his kids shift. Then confronts the coach and says his kid is quiting makes a big deal about it. Who is this about the parents or the kids. I have even seen this into Junior Gold as well as all the way down to squirts. But then again I played my youth hockey at a pretty big association so it was all about winning.

some parents think their kids are superstars and push to get what they want. when they dont they blame it on the coach and the team. Some parents realize their kids career ends at high school and says play all the kids equally. I guess it depends on what you want for your kids.

Remember the game is about having fun with your friends and it also depends on the team.