USAH Mandating Half-Ice for Mites next year?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Rude Dog

USAH Mandating Half-Ice for Mites next year?

Post by Rude Dog »

I've heard from several people recently that USAH is forcing all Mite Games to be half-ice next year. Does anyone know if this is true and also what are your thoughts on it?

I understand the reasoning for half-ice: More players touch the puck, force quick decisions, etc. I think Mite 1's should absolutely play half-ice only but why force Mite 2's, (2nd and 3rd Graders) to do it exclusively? I've heard it called Ping-Pong hockey in the past and that seems to be how most of those games end up. On a side-note, all of our major collisions and concussion scares have come during half-ice games this year.

I really like the way it is done now, league games and scrimmages half-ice and weekend Jamborees full-ice. Seems like the best of both worlds. They get the benefits of both. It's pretty hard to teach positioning and off-sides on half ice. Also, the kids seem to overwhelmingly enjoy the full ice more. I think it's important to make sure the kids are having the most fun possible because in my mind that is the #1 key to development. If they're not having fun then nothing else really matters.

Seems like a classic example of, "If it's not broken, don't fix it." Curious to hear other's opinions on this subject.
elliott70

Re: USAH Mandating Half-Ice for Mites next year?

Post by elliott70 »

Rude Dog wrote:I've heard from several people recently that USAH is forcing all Mite Games to be half-ice next year. Does anyone know if this is true and also what are your thoughts on it?

I understand the reasoning for half-ice: More players touch the puck, force quick decisions, etc. I think Mite 1's should absolutely play half-ice only but why force Mite 2's, (2nd and 3rd Graders) to do it exclusively? I've heard it called Ping-Pong hockey in the past and that seems to be how most of those games end up. On a side-note, all of our major collisions and concussion scares have come during half-ice games this year.

I really like the way it is done now, league games and scrimmages half-ice and weekend Jamborees full-ice. Seems like the best of both worlds. They get the benefits of both. It's pretty hard to teach positioning and off-sides on half ice. Also, the kids seem to overwhelmingly enjoy the full ice more. I think it's important to make sure the kids are having the most fun possible because in my mind that is the #1 key to development. If they're not having fun then nothing else really matters.

Seems like a classic example of, "If it's not broken, don't fix it." Curious to hear other's opinions on this subject.
If USAH is paying for the ice, the supplies, the jerseys, volunteering coaches and running the concession stand, then we will let them tell us what to do with our local programs.
In the meantime the local associations will determine how to run things.
HOWEVER, most of D16 will use half ice most of the time.
Just because it works and they have been doing it like that for 20 or 30 years or more.
Rude Dog

Re: USAH Mandating Half-Ice for Mites next year?

Post by Rude Dog »

elliott70 wrote:
Rude Dog wrote:I've heard from several people recently that USAH is forcing all Mite Games to be half-ice next year. Does anyone know if this is true and also what are your thoughts on it?

If USAH is paying for the ice, the supplies, the jerseys, volunteering coaches and running the concession stand, then we will let them tell us what to do with our local programs.
In the meantime the local associations will determine how to run things.
HOWEVER, most of D16 will use half ice most of the time.
Just because it works and they have been doing it like that for 20 or 30 years or more.
Thank you for the reply Elliott. Glad to hear it's a District Decision. Maybe that's what they meant and I misinterpreted it. I'm okay with half-ice "most" of the time. That's exactly how we do it now. I would say 75% half-ice and 25% full. Full-ice at weekend Jamborees only, which we play in about 4 every year.

I have yet to talk to any coach, parent or player who would be in favor of 100% half-ice. Any of the decision makers from District 11 listening out there??????
goaliewithfoggedglasses

Post by goaliewithfoggedglasses »

Thread on this from last summer:

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

As for the USA Hockey mandate it did pass. Minnesota Hockey is seeking an exception but it won't be decided on until May. Here is their reply to my inquiry last August:

"USA Hockey did adopt a rule that the standard playing surface for Mites and younger is cross-ice or half-ice surface beginning the 2013-14 season. In the rule there is a provision for states to apply for exceptions to the rule of no full ice games. Minnesota will be applying for an exception. A committee will be developing the details but it will likely be Mini-Mites (6U) cross-ice and/or half ice, Mites (8U) half-ice with six to nine full ice games after January 1 of the season. The requests for exceptions are due to the USA Hockey Player Development Committee for their consideration and approval in May of 2013 for the 13-14 season."
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

So will they mandate at open hockey that all kids 8 and under skate crossways and the rest of the kids playing skate full length and if they don't the 8 and under will not be able to participate in international tournaments.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Cobber wrote:So will they mandate at open hockey that all kids 8 and under skate crossways and the rest of the kids playing skate full length and if they don't the 8 and under will not be able to participate in international tournaments.

International tournaments for mites ? :oops: :roll:

That said, most US mite teams that are playing in Canada and AAA teams and could care less what USHA says.
Rude Dog

Post by Rude Dog »

goaliewithfoggedglasses wrote:Thread on this from last summer:

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

As for the USA Hockey mandate it did pass. Minnesota Hockey is seeking an exception but it won't be decided on until May. Here is their reply to my inquiry last August:

"USA Hockey did adopt a rule that the standard playing surface for Mites and younger is cross-ice or half-ice surface beginning the 2013-14 season. In the rule there is a provision for states to apply for exceptions to the rule of no full ice games. Minnesota will be applying for an exception. A committee will be developing the details but it will likely be Mini-Mites (6U) cross-ice and/or half ice, Mites (8U) half-ice with six to nine full ice games after January 1 of the season. The requests for exceptions are due to the USA Hockey Player Development Committee for their consideration and approval in May of 2013 for the 13-14 season."
Thanks for this goalie. I just went through the whole thread. People make good cases for both half-ice and full-ice for 8 & 9 yr old Mites. What everyone seems to agree on is that there are some benefits to both. Therefore, the solution seems way too obvious to screw it up. Let's do both. Either 50/50 or 75/25, doesn't really matter. Regardless of which you like better, It seems we can all agree that we should not be mandated by USAH to play only cross ice/half-ice.

I understand why some believe that skill development is enhanced by cross ice/half-ice games. It sounds good in theory; more kids touch the puck, make quick decisions, etc. But I just don't see it with my own eyes as a coach. I usually see 8 kids getting frustrated by a pile of bodies and a constant logjam. A lot more collisions in half-ice, including kids just trying to get on and off the ice. And good luck making a pass, especially to the front of the net. There are always skates in the way. This frustrates a lot of kids and seems to take the fun out of it for them. You can really see it after they play a weekend of full-ice and then play a half-ice league game the following week. A lot of them are just out there going through the motions and looking forward to that next full-ice opportunity.

I fully realize that I may be missing something here and could be wrong, which is why I can support doing both. Let's let the kids have the best of both. And before you make the argument that the kids who want full-ice can move up, remember that not all Associations can/will allow this in every instance. It all depends on the numbers at each level.
helightsthelamp

Post by helightsthelamp »

A combination is I think the best outcome. Mandate by USAH is the worst outcome. After watching squirt A's compete in 3 on 3 Rush tournament at Super Rink yesterday, no way it is to crowded for mites, they need to spread out and move the puck. Squirt games were very fast paced with a lot of goals scored. Teams that were sucesssful moved the puck well. That said, no way should 8 and 9 year olds be playing only cross ice....
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

There is a lot of resistance to this "mandate" from USA Hockey. It places the Districts and Affiliates in a tough spot because they are closer to the customer than Colorado Springs.

I have reached the point where I don't care what 8 & Unders are doing as long as they are playing. Most introductory programs nationwide are small-area, so kids are starting out that way.

My son began full-ice games at 5 and then moved to crossice when it was offered by our program four months later. There's no question what is better when kids are beginning.

A hard mandate that all 3rd graders play small-area overreaches in my opinion. Easiest solution I see is allow move-ups and view Squirts as an 8-10 age range. Parents won't move up the kids that aren't ready.
Be kind. Rewind.