Rivalries

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

Rivalries

Post by BodyShots »

Every team has one. What makes one rivalry better than another?

Up north they talk about DE and Cloquet. In the East metro it's WBL and HM.

If you asked every school who their #1 rivalry is, it would be interesting to see how many teams would name the same school. :idea:

So lets hear it. What makes one rivalry better than another?
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

Minnetonka's biggest rivalry is with Edina. There's something about those two conference games that brings an extra intensity and level of fan participation year in and year out. They're neighbors and are in the same Conference and are often the two teams duking it out for the Lake Conference title.

In recent years, ever since Pauly left Tonka, the rivalry with Benilde has grown. Unfortunately, they only play each other once during the regular season but that game is always very intense as well.
elliott70

Re: Rivalries

Post by elliott70 »

BodyShots wrote:Every team has one. What makes one rivalry better than another?

If you asked every school who their #1 rivalry is, it would be interesting to see how many teams would name the same school. :idea:

Up north they talk about Warroad-Roseau.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

elliott70 wrote:

Come on Elliott, Duluth and Cloquet are NORTH of the Twin Cities. Just not that far NORTH. :lol:
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

elliott70 wrote:

Warroad/Roseau is great, yet overhyped. It's not like it's leaps and bounds ahead of the other rivalries. I would give the nod to CEC/East because the intensity is the same, but the crowds are much larger. Warroad/Roseau would never fill a building the size of the old DECC or Amsoil Arena.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

In my opinion, the HM/WB rivalry is declining. In the past, those games always seemed competitive and the teams were pretty close in talent. In recent years, there has been a gap between the two programs and Hill is enjoying a dominance over the Bears. Outside of the section win for WB a couple of years ago, there hasn't been much drama in the HM/WB games. All that being said, it's still the team HM people dislikes (and respects) and it's still the team that concerns me the most come section time.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

BodyShots wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Come on Elliott, Duluth and Cloquet are NORTH of the Twin Cities. Just not that far NORTH. :lol:
Most of Minnesota is north of the Twin Cities.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Warroad/Roseau is great, yet overhyped. It's not like it's leaps and bounds ahead of the other rivalries. I would give the nod to CEC/East because the intensity is the same, but the crowds are much larger. Warroad/Roseau would never fill a building the size of the old DECC or Amsoil Arena.
Have you been to Roseau Memorial for the game?
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

My favorite is DE and GR.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

To a smaller degree- JM vs Mayo/ possible up and coming Eastridge vs Woodbury .
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Where I grew up, it was Ramsey vs Kellogg. The Roseville youth hockey association used to be made up with kids that ended up going to both of these schools. You never wanted to lose to your grade school buddies.

Now that I live in WBL, the Pioneers are considered their biggest rival. The reason being two fold. First, there are WBL kids that end up going to HM (just like Ramsey/Kellogg). Second, more times than not these two teams meet in the section final to go to state. I would also add that the crowds attending these games is larger than any other game they play throughout the year. This adds to the atmosphere of the games.

Also, in my opinion, the rivalry is losing its luster. HM has dominated lately resulting in less optimism on the bears side. A strong rivalry thrives with competition.
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

When I was young it was Duluth East and the Duluth Cathedral Hilltoppers. I remember listening on the radio when Phil Hoene scored 3 goals in 27 seconds against east. It was a big rivalry with some players from each team coming from the same neighbor hood rink-Longview.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

BodyShots wrote:Where I grew up, it was Ramsey vs Kellogg. The Roseville youth hockey association used to be made up with kids that ended up going to both of these schools. You never wanted to lose to your grade school buddies.

Now that I live in WBL, the Pioneers are considered their biggest rival. The reason being two fold. First, there are WBL kids that end up going to HM (just like Ramsey/Kellogg). Second, more times than not these two teams meet in the section final to go to state. I would also add that the crowds attending these games is larger than any other game they play throughout the year. This adds to the atmosphere of the games.

Also, in my opinion, the rivalry is losing its luster. HM has dominated lately resulting in less optimism on the bears side. A strong rivalry thrives with competition.
I bet you have some gray hair.
:lol:
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

A little grey- Im still kicking, but not to high :lol:
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Some things to consider:

1. Is there a long history between the two?
2. Do the teams frequently play each other in sections? Is a conference title perhaps on the line?
3. Is there a broader context for the rivalry? Public/private? A socioeconomic gap?
2. On a somewhat related note, is there any history of players (or coaches, for that matter) leaving one program and going to the other?
4. Have there been many skirmishes or fights over the years?
5. Is the rivalry consistently competitive? Perhaps even more to the point, can the rivalry produce competitive games or surprise upsets even when one team is noticeably more talented than the other?
6. Does the teams play in front of sold-out crowds, and is there broader community interest in the game?
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

elliott70 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:Where I grew up, it was Ramsey vs Kellogg. The Roseville youth hockey association used to be made up with kids that ended up going to both of these schools. You never wanted to lose to your grade school buddies.

I bet you have some gray hair.
:lol:
Nope, they fall out before turning gray.... :wink:
joris016

Post by joris016 »

Roseville/WBL is a great rivalry for all sports but especially hockey. When I was in school, both of these teams were the best in the SEC and in 2006-2007 when Roseville was ranked in the top 3 for most of the year and beat WBL both regular season games, the Bears beat Roseville in the Section semi's. It was easily the best Roseville team since 2002 and 2003 when the finished 3rd and 2nd in the State, respectively. Every year, no matter the talent level, these teams always play each other with intensity and the games are always close.
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:In my opinion, the HM/WB rivalry is declining. In the past, those games always seemed competitive and the teams were pretty close in talent. In recent years, there has been a gap between the two programs and Hill is enjoying a dominance over the Bears. Outside of the section win for WB a couple of years ago, there hasn't been much drama in the HM/WB games. All that being said, it's still the team HM people dislikes (and respects) and it's still the team that concerns me the most come section time.
I somewhat disagree with this. Hill Murray is always going to be a dominant program, but I think the rivalry is still very strong. Since 2005, yes, Hill has been to state every year but 2011. The section games though have for the most part been close, and I wouldn't say that Hill has completely dominated in the talent pool.

2006- Hill-5 WBL-4 2 OT's - I thought both teams were very evenly talented, and this game easily could have gone either way.

2007- Hill-3 WBL-1 - Besides WBL having weak goaltending that year, they outshot Hill 27-12 in the section final. I wouldn't say the talent was that lopsided.

2008 Hill-2 WBL-1 - More of a great effort from the Bears in this one. Hill went on to win state with one of their better teams.

2009- Hill-5- WBL-4 OT- If you remember, this was the year Hill had some very good players kicked off the team. Many thought that would be enough for WBL to get back to state. They met in the section semis that year, and I felt the Bears were the more talented team at the time. A not-so-great goaltending effort from the Bears cost them in that one. The most disappointed I felt after a WBL/Hill game, because WBL was the better team in this game.

2010- Hill- 5 WBL-1 - This was the one year that I had little confidence in the Bears winning. Hill had a much better team, and was probably the worst section game between these two in a long time.

2011- WBL-5 Hill-4 2 OT's - My favorite WBL/Hill game of all time. The number one ranked Hill team, huge favorite to win against a pretty good Bears squad that wasn't given much of a chance. Yes, Hill had more talent, but this was a pretty good Bears team led by 3 very good players.

2012- Did not meet in section play. Hill had alot more talent than the Bears last year.

This year I would expect a competitive game if they were to meet in the section final. Hill has a more talented team, but WBL has a star player, and some very young good players who have improved alot as the years gone on.

Just my two cents on the whole rivalry over the recent years.
defense

Post by defense »

I always like the ones that go back to when the players were in youth hockey. When you play the same guys from mites/ squirts at least twice a year into HS, and it has been intense that whole time it just seems like there is another feel in the air. In FF for me it was DL Alex and a different one u wouldn't think about: Fargo South when the flyers existed.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

This is a cool thread. Hibbing -Viginia ?
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Public v. Private
rainier

Post by rainier »

old goalie85 wrote:This is a cool thread. Hibbing -Viginia ?
Hibbing-Virginia really became a great rivalry in the 2000's. Both games draw great crowds every year and the refs seem to catch hell after almost every call. Lots of fun to watch as the kids really get into it and have some great cheers. It usually gets pretty chippy too, which I suppose is a mark of a great rivalry.
Greeny

Post by Greeny »

Essentially any Lake Conference Game is a rivalry game, with maybe the exception of Hopkins. Hailing from Edina, I can say that we enjoyed beating EP, Minnetonka and Wayzata equally. :) That being said, in recent years, it's mainly been Tonka and EP who have been our biggest rivals. In the years that EP won state, they were clearly the better team than Tonka, and those games were hyped up slightly more than the Tonka games. However, during the 2009-2010 season, when Edina won state (the highlight of my HS years), Tonka was consistently ranked #1 throughout the season. So when we came back from a 4-0 deficit in the last regular season game to win 5-4 in OT at Braemar, well, that was probably the biggest/best non-state game I've ever been apart of, and really spoke volumes about our rivalry with Tonka (beating them in the state championship game wasn't half bad either). Long story short, watching Edina play any Lake Conference team at Braemar is something special that everyone should try to experience once, in my opinion.
celly93

Post by celly93 »

As OG pointed out, this thread is awesome. Let's not mess this one up guys. Go to the trash talk thread if you must.

I've always loved the Edina/Tonka rivalry. Always a high level of competition in two great, but very different, venues with passionate fans.

I can only imagine how great this rivalry would be if Tonka and Edina were back in the same section. I understand the Lake title means more than most conference titles, but tournament implications always help a rivalry. Also, post season play would be a lot of fun with these two. I doubt the crowd would fit in BIG, and a section final between the two would probably keep folks at Mariucci past 9. They did play at state only time Tonka made it through (under the current section structure), but the game was over before it started.

Rivalries with private schools can be interesting. Although some are obvious public vs private, as with WBL and Hill. Some are private vs private, as with Blake and Breck and I think CDH and STA (although I haven't witnessed it first hand).

Some end up getting spread out, as is the case with BSM. Games between the Red Knights and Wayzata, Edina, Minnetonka, and even Eden Prairie all stir up emotions (girls names always seem to be chanted) because around (this is a rough estimate here) 75% of the student body lives and has friends in those three districts, with Wayzata being the most prominent of the four. The Pauly situation and the section history makes Minnetonka the frontrunner for biggest rival, but hatred is spread throughout the western suburbs.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

Back in my playing days at Duluth East no team was more fun to play against then Cloquet at the lumber dome. The student sections and arena is packed every year and it's just the best feeling. No other game I've ever played in was as intense as a DE-CEC game. Best rivalry in the state.