Major Juniors vs. MN high school coach's assoc. - 2/26 Strib

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

celly93

Post by celly93 »

Stick Save wrote:Just heard that the reporter of this article will be on with Patrick Reusse in about 10 minutes on AM 1500 to discuss further.

http://www.1500espn.com/structurefiles/ ... _popup.php
Just got done listening. Thought it was interesting that Pauly was notified, but it was just one day before. I also thought it was interesting that the Baers had been given a heads up that it wasn't OK, although it isn't clear if they knew what sort of repercussions there would be. Also, it doesn't sound like Alec had any intention of graduating from BSM.
hockeyoldtimer

Major Jr. vs. Minnesota Association hockey

Post by hockeyoldtimer »

Minnesota hockey and Coach Pauly have no right to jump in and give their opinion or decide where kids go to visit. Everyone knows he allowed 2 players to go to the NTDP camp last year, but that was ok. Coach Pauly gets to decide what path Alec takes? No his family does, not him or the big wigs of Minnesota hockey. We all know most of Select 15-17's is at least partially a popularity contest and a Minnesota hockey Who's who. More than a handful of kids go every year because of what association they are from or who their Daddy knows. It has become disgusting how powerful they have become.
People with talented kids DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE where their child plays and the coaches have nothing to do or say about it.
Alec and his family are wonderful people who are only trying to do the right thing for him. What was he supposed to do? Wait to play hockey for a year? Wait another year to move to another association? Buy a house in Wayzata or Edina or he could move? It is all being done by others and they chose another path. GOOD FOR THEM. I hope many of our boys follow suit if Minnesota hockey continues to rear it's ugly head and control EVERYTHING?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

celly93 wrote:
Stick Save wrote:Just heard that the reporter of this article will be on with Patrick Reusse in about 10 minutes on AM 1500 to discuss further.

Just got done listening. Thought it was interesting that Pauly was notified, but it was just one day before. I also thought it was interesting that the Baers had been given a heads up that it wasn't OK, although it isn't clear if they knew what sort of repercussions there would be. Also, it doesn't sound like Alec had any intention of graduating from BSM.
Correct, the reporter learned that the plan was at most to stay through his sophomore year. This begs the question, why should Pauly groom the kid for the WHL knowing he'd only have his services for another year? Give his spot to someone else who wants to be on the team through his senior year.
Stick Save

Post by Stick Save »

Looks like there is some alternate blogging going on over here at the Strib...

http://comments.startribune.com/comment ... ments=true
hockeyoldtimer

Major Junior vs High School hockey association

Post by hockeyoldtimer »

2 cents,
You have no idea what sacrifices the parents make who send their kids away to the NTDP, Shattuck, USHL, WHL, or elsewhere. They do it out of love for their child and a selflessness your will never understand. They do it to chase a dream for their child and not to tell them it isn't possible, but that it MIGHT BE if you work hard enough.
hockeyoldtimer

Major Juniors vs. Minnesota High school associations

Post by hockeyoldtimer »

Mn Hockey Fan,
No one asked Pauly to groom him, just play the best players at the right time. It isn't for him to decide who will be playing in 3 years, just this year.
bemused

Re: the bigger picture

Post by bemused »

my2cents wrote:The bigger question to me is: What the he## kind of parents send their 15 or 16 year old away from home for hockey? I don't care if it's WHL, USHL, Shattuck, Team USA or other. I know that there can be family reasons to do so, but you'd think that those cases would be rare.

Raising my kids is more important than raising my hockey playing kids.

Only about 75% of the parents of high end kids in Canada....
Stick Save

Post by Stick Save »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
celly93 wrote:

Correct, the reporter learned that the plan was at most to stay through his sophomore year. This begs the question, why should Pauly groom the kid for the WHL knowing he'd only have his services for another year? Give his spot to someone else who wants to be on the team through his senior year.
So Pauly has two options here:

1. Select players that he knows will NOT have other opportunities beyond HS hockey for their four HS years.

2. Have the players sign a 4-year agreement to play for him exclusively. Or maybe a pinky-swear?

See a problem with this suggestion? It seems a bit unrealistic.

A coach grooms his players because he wants to see them succeed, mainly for the present, and hopefully beyond that, for their future. In that sense, everyone wins. And Pauly can continue to reload each season, and the gifted players will want to come. Some will stay, others will go.

Is there really any other solution better than just accepting this fact, and adapting to it? It's called competition.
wingman

Post by wingman »

I see it this way:

1.)This threatens Minnesota Hockey (at least Pauly and the gang over at the parnoid MSHS Coaches Assoc.)
2.) The penalty was sooooo punative and so un necessary.
3.) Freedom of choice is being attacked (when the team was simply not hurt or threatened).

So I ask you, if a kid (and his parents) want to explore the NA3, the NAHL, the USHL, the US Developement League, the 'W' or the 'O', or Cargill or 3M, how des this invoke a punitive result like permanant removal?

I ask you all this, How does Pauly explain a good hockey player coming to BSM over a public school? Freedom of choice...!!!! ...freakishly wierd or what?

The contradiction is so deep and so ignorant from the president of the MSHS Coaches Assoc. It proves they (all MN HS Coaches) are so ignorant that they literally think that no where can a kid get hockey like he can here in the bubble of MN, god for bid the kid that wants to explore....how frickin freakishly short sighted and ignorant is this statement?

The MN high schools are fighting a losing battle and thats when they do things of 'monopolizing authority' and other drastic measures because they refuse to embrace facts! It's just almost communistic idealism..? Sucks and it's a sad day for MSHSL when you can a kid for trying.....
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Just a reality check here: Let's remember that HS coaches are supposed to promote academics and general life-skills as well as hockey, thanks to the high school league. That's why they can't argue for a longer season without seeming like hypocrites or running afoul of the HS league, and therefore why high-end players are always looking at greener pastures in the USHL, Ann Arbor or even the WHL.

That to me is the problem at the heart of this, not Pauley's self-interest.

The WHL, as major junior, is the extreme that informs the mean. USNTDP is an intense academic program as well as athletic program. It's also a part of the USHL, which also has seems to have developed a strong preference for the NCAA track in recent years.

No where else in the country is this an issue, because elite hockey is private Tier 1 AAA with no connection to school (other than the preps like Shattuck and Loyola etc.)

Still, this is a battle not so much between Mn High Schools and Canadian Juniors as it is between USA Hockey and Canada, and the proving ground is the NHL. USA Hockey (and the USHL) are really bending over backward these days to say the American way -- including the NCAA -- is as good or better than Canadian Major Juniors at developing professional hockey players. The numbers (of USA Players in the NHL) don't quite support that yet. (And yeah, the constant caveat is "only a tiny minority ever make it to the Show," better that everyone else actually has a college degree when they hang up the skates for good.)

I guess the point is, kids do have a choice -- but there are consequences for those choices. MN coaches are just being heavy-handed about the consequences in this case. It's the kids life and good luck to him. He'll have many successes and many regrets just like the rest of us, I imagine.
wingman

Post by wingman »

Your dead wrong, respectfully. It has nothing to do about US talent and Canada...it has to do with Minnesota Hockey High School coaches and Canad & the remaining other US models (U18's etc.) who have never been out of the bubble long enough to realize there is a completely different system out there(which accounts for over 90% -again n my opinion) and they are so stuborn and in my opinion, completely ignorant. I've been there, I ve experienced it, Minnesota hockey is not the pinnical it once was...at least it is not by itself and dominant like it may have been 20-40 years ago...it has been whittled away by other models that have proven to work and produce many many good players (Juniors, U18, U16's AAA, SHATTUCK, etc.) that are producing good talent for the next level. And that next level should be left up to the kid and his parents...not me, not you, and certainly not a stuborn ignorant, conflicted, parnoid coaching association! I firmly beleive if they were to embrace this knowledge and develop relationships outside of Minnesota, it could expand High School hockey into only great realms we can't even visualize. They easily would offer more to their students than being punitive and ignorant and on a witch hunt! It's simply not called for by a high school coach...in this instance in my opinion Pauly is completly out of line...so don't minimize his actions when they speak volumes about him and the MSHSL Coaches association he represents....and in my opinion, represents above and beyond his duty to BSM and furthering students success! (or for that manor any students success at any school).
wingman

Post by wingman »

...as I rant ...lets remember one thing...the kid was just exploring his options! What an intelligent thing to do...but oh yea when you get back to school your coach is going to CAN U! Really? Is that a teaching moment? How does that ad anything constructive to assisting this kid form his decision. Is that a threat to a coach and HIS SYSYTEM? Really are you kidding me?

And the argument that it 'broke a team rule' or 'it was detremental to the team' or my favorite 'the borders for other teams' as Mr Ulrick from Minnetonka pointed out should be shut (then out of the other side of his mouth he made arrangements for a player to go to the US 18's)---how seriously inconsistent is this argument? Why are the US 18's OK and not the other avenues? They (the MSHS Coaches) are completely frightened of lost players.....when every single year EVERY TEAM RE-LOADS!!!! From mites to the pro's...why is MN high school hockey any different...it is completely ignorant to think they are better than anyone else and Pauly made that perfectly clear by assigning punitvie damages to a kid when they were not necessary AT ALL!
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

D3Referee wrote:There is no difference between the two, except the WHL scjholarship is better for academically minded players. WHL players receive one year of university/college for each year they play. Not verbal partial commitments which can be rescinded, like the NCAA, but guaranteed school f the player opts to use it. Alec Baer will get 1 year of college tuition just for suiting up for the Giants this Friday. Even if that's his only game this year, he already has a guaranteed year of college in his back pocket.
Once again... the scam bullsh*t line from a pro-CHL guy. It is NOT a guaranteed scholarship in the sense you try to make it. It has a fine print attached.
The player will forfeit his scholarship WHL Scholarship should the following occur:

- A player is required by their post-secondary institution to withdraw due to failure to maintain passing grades

- A player signs a professional hockey contract at the NHL, AHL or Elite European level

- A player does not enroll in a post secondary program within one year following his last season of eligibility in the WHL

- The Graduate Player is permitted to play one year in a designated professional league (ECHL or lower) without forfeiting their WHL Scholarship benefits.
The last two points are essentially saying the scholarship opportunity runs out if a kid plays more than one season outside of the WHL. How many kids are ready to give up their pro dreams at that point (around age 21 or so) in order to play in some from some lousy Canadian college team?

The WHL education package is a farce for many guys. Most of these kids would be better off staying out of those leagues
scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper »

Gopher Blog wrote:
D3Referee wrote:There is no difference between the two, except the WHL scjholarship is better for academically minded players. WHL players receive one year of university/college for each year they play. Not verbal partial commitments which can be rescinded, like the NCAA, but guaranteed school f the player opts to use it. Alec Baer will get 1 year of college tuition just for suiting up for the Giants this Friday. Even if that's his only game this year, he already has a guaranteed year of college in his back pocket.
Once again... the scam bullsh*t line from a pro-CHL guy. It is NOT a guaranteed scholarship in the sense you try to make it. It has a fine print attached.
The player will forfeit his scholarship WHL Scholarship should the following occur:

- A player is required by their post-secondary institution to withdraw due to failure to maintain passing grades

- A player signs a professional hockey contract at the NHL, AHL or Elite European level

- A player does not enroll in a post secondary program within one year following his last season of eligibility in the WHL

- The Graduate Player is permitted to play one year in a designated professional league (ECHL or lower) without forfeiting their WHL Scholarship benefits.
The last two points are essentially saying the scholarship opportunity runs out if a kid plays more than one season outside of the WHL. How many kids are ready to give up their pro dreams at that point (around age 21 or so) in order to play in some from some lousy Canadian college team?

The WHL education package is a farce for many guys. Most of these kids would be better off staying out of those leagues
Your so full of feces I don't know where to start, so I won't. Save your fear-mongering nonsense for the already brainwashed. You just don't have a clue what you speak of. Not a clue.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

Shinbone_News wrote:To acknowledge that KP is the head of the coach's association and then suggest that he shouldn't have an opinion about Canadian major juniors is just silly. Especially since he's also a coach/teacher at a college prep school.

If the MHSCA doesn't have a "mission" to sit around and argue about and write a position paper on, then what's the point of these coaches' associations anyway?

The USNTDP actually has a pay-back/buyout policy. If the WHL or any other Canadian major junior wants one of their players, they are free to go... but their parents are on the hook for about $50K. (Of course, the majors respond by paying that penalty on behalf of the player, but they have to want that player pretty badly. And most of the NTDP kids are college-minded kids anyway who have already passed on the opportunity to play major juniors.)

Maybe Minnesota High Schools will start demanding buyouts! (Probably not that far-fetched for the privates, if they're allegedly offering $40K-50K scholarships for three years of varsity hockey.)
College prep school?????? Get off the pipe.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

Gopher Blog wrote: Once again... the scam bullsh*t line from a pro-CHL guy. It is NOT a guaranteed scholarship in the sense you try to make it. It has a fine print attached.

Dude, you are getting so lame with your constant garbage and fake arguments that have no bearing on reality.

It's hardly fine print that players are free to try their hand at pro hockey before they must make a decision one way or the other. It's even more choice. More freedom.

Let me ask you this ; how many seasons of pro hockey can a kid play before he forfeits his 85% of a one year NCAA scholarship?

Oh that's right - NONE
"See ya in another life brother"
dlow

Post by dlow »

Gopher Blog wrote:

Thats the key there, you can only play one year of pro hockey then the scholarship is gone. Two years of mid level Italy and the college choice is gone.

Are there any statistics on the number of scholarship used by players who do not go pro? and Major Junior players overall?
northwoods oldtimer

Re: Major Jr. vs. Minnesota Association hockey

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

hockeyoldtimer wrote:Minnesota hockey and Coach Pauly have no right to jump in and give their opinion or decide where kids go to visit. Everyone knows he allowed 2 players to go to the NTDP camp last year, but that was ok. Coach Pauly gets to decide what path Alec takes? No his family does, not him or the big wigs of Minnesota hockey. We all know most of Select 15-17's is at least partially a popularity contest and a Minnesota hockey Who's who. More than a handful of kids go every year because of what association they are from or who their Daddy knows. It has become disgusting how powerful they have become.
People with talented kids DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE where their child plays and the coaches have nothing to do or say about it.
Alec and his family are wonderful people who are only trying to do the right thing for him. What was he supposed to do? Wait to play hockey for a year? Wait another year to move to another association? Buy a house in Wayzata or Edina or he could move? It is all being done by others and they chose another path. GOOD FOR THEM. I hope many of our boys follow suit if Minnesota hockey continues to rear it's ugly head and control EVERYTHING?
One old timer to another AMEN brother. Callin a spade a spade! Minnesota Hockey along with USA Hockey is a joke! Image
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

dlow wrote: Are there any statistics on the number of scholarship used by players who do not go pro? and Major Junior players overall?
Not sure what it is this year. Last year the WHL alone sent 300 kids to college or university.
http://www.hockeyalberta.ca/index.php/c ... 6/la_id/1/

There's only 22 teams in the league and scholly's are mostly 3-4 years in length (one year per season you participate in). So do the math, that's almost 14 kids per team spread over 3-4 birth years.

So an average of 3 kids per birth year, which is a HUGE number considering the WHL development model has each team carrying 5-7 kids per birth year and 60% of those kids end up playing professional hockey.

Hell, a full 20% of active NHLers are WHL graduates and the WHL is only 1/3 of the CHL.

Wether your goal is the professional hockey or academics, the WHL offers the single best opportunity. It just is what it is.

The NCAA *could* be the best route, or the end ortion of a collective best route if they would ever take their heads ourt of their deriere's and stop classifying the world's best junior development league as professional. If they did that, players could play high school till soph or junior, then go WHL or USHL and then play NCAA after that. But they want full control and that will never happen.

So they put the kids on the spot and fear-monger the parents or use guys like Pauly at Benilde to do the dirty work for them.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

Actually, here are the numbers from this year. 301 WHL scholly's awarded again this year. Spread out over 22 teams that's an average of 14 per team. Good on them
http://whl.ca/article/whl-awards-301-sc ... -this-year

Moreover, you aren't stuck at Alabama-Hunstville or some other goofy D1 hockey program/school. The WHL scholly can be cashed at the school of your choice. MOST D1 schools that offer athletic scholarships aren't counted amongst the best learning establishments in the world. Michigan and University of Minnesota are a couple of exceptions. Many of the Canadian Universities are better Universities when it comes to academics and of course, many American Universities that don't have D1 hockey are also better academic institutions than the ones that do. So if you are a really smart kid who doesn't figure to have a professional hockey career, the WHL scholly is also your better option.

There are some financial limits but nothing serious. Minnesota kids get priced out at University of Minnesota tuition, so if you decide you want to go to Harvard, you can apply the cash for U of M, but you are on the hook for the rest.

Some guys want to just be done with competitive hockey at 21 or 22 and focus on studies while others still like to play while they finish school. You can do either, and Canadian colleges are now loaded with former CHL players, so the hockey is getting better all the time.

Don't believe the bullcrap that gets slung around here from fear-mongers like Gopher Blog and Ken Pauly. Obviously they have an interest in seeing kids stay in the State, so they'd like their agenda to influence your decision.

Don't be afraid. Get the facts, as you will be very surprised at what you find.
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

hockeyoldtimer wrote:Minnesota hockey and Coach Pauly have no right to jump in and give their opinion or decide where kids go to visit. Everyone knows he allowed 2 players to go to the NTDP camp last year, but that was ok. Coach Pauly gets to decide what path Alec takes? No his family does, not him or the big wigs of Minnesota hockey. We all know most of Select 15-17's is at least partially a popularity contest and a Minnesota hockey Who's who. More than a handful of kids go every year because of what association they are from or who their Daddy knows. It has become disgusting how powerful they have become.
Pauly may not get to choose where this player plays his hockey, but he does get to choose his team. He chose to leave this player out after he displayed commitment issues. The player has shown in the past that he isn't committed to one team. Minnesota Hockey did not force this player out, he made those decisions throughout his career to find the best team possible and it caught up to him. Minnesota hockey does not have a free agent pool where you get to shop around your talents. And as much as I'd love to continue discrediting your caps lock friendly post, I need to run so I'll leave you with this. If I'm choosing a team after tryouts i wouldn't pick him. I (and coach Pauly it seems like too) want players that will put everything on the line for his teammates. I don't see the player involved as someone who would do that
yawannago

No dog in this fight, but....................

Post by yawannago »

The Canadian Hockey League (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL hockey league.

It is a MYTH, perpetuated by NCAA hockey and the USHL( which by the way is FAR INFERIOR to the CHL product). The NCAA tries to call the CHL professional hockey based on a VERY SMALL NUMBER of kids who have been drafted by the NHL and have SIGNED an NHL entry level contract (many are drafted, not many per team are signed, a significant difference). These kids DO NOT get any of that contract money, however get a small amount of their signing bonus which is paid out over THREE years. I haven't done a recent check, but in the Vancouver/Kamloops game played tonight in Kamloops, I believe TWO kids playing out of 36 dressed by both teams tonight have signed NHL contracts and MIGHT have some of their bonus money and THAT IS WHAT THE NCAA uses to deem the CHL as "professional". That is a JOKE!!!!!

The players ARE NOT PAID!!! The players get a monthly stipend, to help pay for gas, toiletries, etc. For gods sake, it costs about $90 bucks or more to fill your tank in most of Western Canada today.It is based on seniority in the league, 16's get about $240 a month and the overagers (20 year olds) get about $320.

People who billet these kids barely get money to feed these kids and do it because they love the sport and enjoy helping out the kids and teams. My parents billeted for years and it was a great experience for both the players and my parents. Almost all teams have the kids out in the community at schools, day cares, local universities etc.

Kids who are of high school age, MUST BE enrolled in high school, MUST attend EVERY DAY when at home and MUST do school work when on road trips and are assisted by team tutors which EVERY team has. They WILL sit if there grades aren't kept up or if they MISS ANY classes.

Kurt Sauer who played for the Spokane Chiefs LOVED his WHL experience.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but some of the BS doled out on this forum is unbelievable. I could care less where the players come from, but to dump on the CHL when you have no clue is based on IGNORANCE.
forcerocks

NCAA Deal

Post by forcerocks »

David Toews was cut from UND when he was 19 and then forced to goto the WHL as a 20 year old

The NCAA education package is no different than Major Junior in Canada..... if you can't play or if you are not good enough you get cut.

They will not keep you for 4 years if you suck
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

My god people you have no clue at all!!! The choices he has are just fine, but NOT IN SEASON!!! He made a commitment to his team, school, and coach. Why couldn't he have explored those options after the benilde season? Why did it apparently have to be that weekend. This would be like a high school coach missing time to go interview with a junior team, or college team during the season. Remember I said he missed time to do so. What would the players and parents think of that? Would they question his loyalty to the team? Could he have waited til the season was over?

Someone is going to compare visiting a college as the same thing as visiting a WHL team. Really? If a player wants to visit a educational institution I am sure schools and the mshsl are probably okay with that. Remember people education is and should always be the most important thing. Correct?

My issues that I have was he/parents/advisor clearly were only thinking of what's best for the kid. And they did it during the season where he committed to playing at benilde.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

hawkhockey wrote:
Pauly may not get to choose where this player plays his hockey, but he does get to choose his team. He chose to leave this player out after he displayed commitment issues. The player has shown in the past that he isn't committed to one team. Minnesota Hockey did not force this player out, he made those decisions throughout his career to find the best team possible and it caught up to him. Minnesota hockey does not have a free agent pool where you get to shop around your talents. And as much as I'd love to continue discrediting your caps lock friendly post, I need to run so I'll leave you with this. If I'm choosing a team after tryouts i wouldn't pick him. I (and coach Pauly it seems like too) want players that will put everything on the line for his teammates. I don't see the player involved as someone who would do that
I thought band, sports,..debate team..etc were EXTRA curricular activities for students to ENJOY while attending a school?

I guess we should start paying these kids like pros since we're now playing cutthroat like the pros.

It's actually getting to be pretty sick.... My apologies to the Baer family.
Last edited by MrBoDangles on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.