7AA Final: #2 Grand Rapids vs. #1 Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Thunderhawks
45%
Greyhounds
55%

Total votes: 65

dangle_snipe

Post by dangle_snipe »

ndirishfighting wrote:I was at the game also
It was not a cross check & I dont think I have ever seen a cross check with one hand on a stick
as for interference call, what did he interfere with GR tryin to score, he was getting the puck he is fair game
Checking from behind well like said I have been around hockey for 29 yrs & have never seen open ice checking from behind

As for the refs, I did hear something very interesting after the game at one of the bars?
One of the biggest reasons it took so long on the GR penalty is because supposedly there was a ref there by the penalty box that is refin at the state tourn & he mentioned to the refs that were doin the game. You guys need to think about this, if you do call a 5 & a game & GR does come back your gonna make this kid sit out the first game of the state tourn. So you guys can now decide 5 or 5 & a game.
Talk about ummmmm strange & very weird. I think that is the first I have ever heard that.
I would go get my eyes checked if I were you.....

If you think that's one hand on the stick I suggest you get a refund on that grade school education you got at greenway.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Holy crap, this is still going on< Can this be locked already?? :roll:
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

GPGT wrote:Holy crap, this is still going on< Can this be locked already?? :roll:
It should be, but then I'd be accused of contributing to the conspiracy because I wanted East to win, wouldn't I? :mrgreen: :roll:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
MTStringer

Post by MTStringer »

I'm happy that it was a good game. I would have liked Grand Rapids to win; however, they did not. This is a game of ebbs and flows, with each team having an opportunity to take advantage of their chances. Each team had plenty, and the simple fact is that DE capitalized one more time than GR did. Everyone should just move on and enjoy watching the state tourney.

Adults arguing back and forth over a game that young adults play seems awful silly. At the end of the day, hockey is just a game, 99% of these kids will not play at the next level, they will have gained good life skills they can use as they enter adulthood and they will look back one day and appreciate their friendships and the time spent on the ice. Move on.
redlightclub

Post by redlightclub »

hockey59 wrote:
east hockey wrote:Hats off to Rapids on a fine season. They gave East all they could handle tonight. Too bad they couldn't both compete at State. Rapids is set up for a run next season.

Lee

Agree that GR gave DE a great game and is set-up well for the future.

"And in the end, the Hounds got it done. 5 in a row, 14 of 20, 20 overall."

I think the golden 30 or so year run for the Hounds is beginning to near the end...they still will go to State often out of 7AA (don't get me wrong) but the domination will even out...based on the most recent Bantam AA ranking (before Regions start today) DE is not in the top 20...that in addition to the continued drain of players to DM...will even things out soon IMO. GR is on the rise...so is ER...and eventually Andover will be a factor. Hermantown is playing AA for Bantams....hopefully after STA ops up next year....hermantown will eventually follow to AA in say 5 years and so will DM around that time frame...allowing ER and Andover to return to a Twin Cities AA section down the road :idea:

LPH - Youth Rankings - February 28, 2013

Bantam AA

1 WAYZATA
2 Edina
3 Prior Lake/Savage
4 Elk River
5 Stillwater
6 Burnsville
7 Grand Rapids
8 Centennial
9 Hermantown
10 Mounds View
11 Anoka
12 Eden Prairie
13 Bloomington Jefferson
14 Rosemount
15 Bemidji
16 Osseo/Maple Grove
17 Lakeville North
18 Woodbury
19 St. Michael-Albertville
20 Blaine

Duluth East is sending teams to state in AA High School, Bantam AA and Peewee AA. Wayzata is doing the same.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

Jbird

Post by Jbird »

1st of all I have no dog in this race, but I have reffed HS hockey for the last 12 yrs. Very well in many coaches opinion's.

You can have an open ice check from behind, no doubt about it. Not sure I could have made that a check from behind call in a section final. Right or wrong (probably wrong) most refs would have a hard time viewing that as a major penalty, one that also comes with a 10 minute misconduct

That is an easy interference call all day long. I would hope the 2 refs from that game got an ass chewing from their supervisor. That play is in middle of ice, wide open for everyone to see. Minor interference, no brainer, rapids is happy and east is just glad it is not a Major from behind.

Now that I have seen the hit I can make the decision that the 7 pages of this thread that rapids had a quality complaint and east fans are not looking at the hit objectively.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Jbird wrote:Now that I have seen the hit I can make the decision that the 7 pages of this thread that rapids had a quality complaint and east fans are not looking at the hit objectively.
I don't think any East fans on here have claimed the hit didn't deserve a penalty. We just find the fixation on that one hit (and especially the subsequent conspiracy theories put forth by some) very tiresome.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

karl(east) wrote:
Jbird wrote:Now that I have seen the hit I can make the decision that the 7 pages of this thread that rapids had a quality complaint and east fans are not looking at the hit objectively.
It is very tough to play an East team anywhere on any ice in any part of the state. They are extremely well coached and run their system flawless. It is unfair to have the section finals and semi finals in what is essentially a home rink year in and year out. That East team gets plenty of practice ice at Amsoil to state it is essentially a home game for East. Rapids lost on two poor turnovers on passes in their own slot that lead to goals you cannot make those mistakes against East and expect to win. Despite that Rapids was resilient in its comeback attempt and the non call on the obvious 2 minute minor snowballed into a 5 minute major for Rapids. The 7 pages are frustration of Duluth East getting the deck stacked in its favor in the section. That is NOT FAIR TO THE REST OF THE TEAMS IN SECTION 7!!!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I agree oldtimer! Move the finals to the Colisium!!
clojacks1

Post by clojacks1 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
That East team gets plenty of practice ice at Amsoil to state it is essentially a home game for East. Rapids lost on two poor turnovers on passes in their own slot that lead to goals you cannot make those mistakes against East and expect to win. Despite that Rapids was resilient in its comeback attempt and the non call on the obvious 2 minute minor snowballed into a 5 minute major for Rapids. The 7 pages are frustration of Duluth East getting the deck stacked in its favor in the section. That is NOT FAIR TO THE REST OF THE TEAMS IN SECTION 7!!!
Just curious....would everybody prefer the semi's and finals be moved to Hermantown or somewhere else and have about 3500 fans locked out of the game? Those games drew close to 6000 fans to Amsoil and produced a great atmoshere. If everybody is going to bitch about the venue and East's "advantage"....offer up a legitimate alternative.
northwoods oldtimer

clojacks1 wrote:
That East team gets plenty of practice ice at Amsoil to state it is essentially a home game for East. Rapids lost on two poor turnovers on passes in their own slot that lead to goals you cannot make those mistakes against East and expect to win. Despite that Rapids was resilient in its comeback attempt and the non call on the obvious 2 minute minor snowballed into a 5 minute major for Rapids. The 7 pages are frustration of Duluth East getting the deck stacked in its favor in the section. That is NOT FAIR TO THE REST OF THE TEAMS IN SECTION 7!!!
Just curious....would everybody prefer the semi's and finals be moved to Hermantown or somewhere else and have about 3500 fans locked out of the game? Those games drew close to 6000 fans to Amsoil and produced a great atmoshere. If everybody is going to bitch about the venue and East's "advantage"....offer up a legitimate alternative.
Fair enough, North South rotation just like the girls section 7. Aldrich/ Ridder and Hibbing Memorial/ Amsoil. It is not all about ticket revenues!
clojacks1

Post by clojacks1 »

clojacks1 wrote:
Fair enough, North South rotation just like the girls section 7. Aldrich/ Ridder and Hibbing Memorial/ Amsoil. It is not all about ticket revenues!
You're correct...it isn't all about ticket revenue, BUT it should be about holding it in a venue that DOES NOT reach capacity, and there is not a venue outside of the Metro area or St Cloud that would have held the full crowd, as Amsoil did, at this years Semi's and Final's.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Rotate it between the Amsoil and Colisium. Both large venues and would be fair to all the section teams. Many years ago East and Cloquet played section games there.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

There were no complaints the years Rapids went to state in 06 and 07. I would say if there is going to be a rotation that the south should earn it first. Seems East, GR, and CEC are the only teams to rep 7AA the last 15 years. I think it is a privilege to have a venue as nice as the Amsoil for these games. Most of the GR fans complaining about the venue would not be doing so had Rapids showed up in the 1st period. That was a problem from early in the year and it's a shame it didn't get solved and the price they paid was a one goal loss preventing a trip to state. The Colesium is a terribly ugly building with horrible sight lines. I would think the Sanford Center in Bemidji would be an alternative, it's a nice new building (also has suites like Amsoil) though it's seating capacity isn't enough.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
clojacks1

Post by clojacks1 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:There were no complaints the years Rapids went to state in 06 and 07. I would say if there is going to be a rotation that the south should earn it first. Seems East, GR, and CEC are the only teams to rep 7AA the last 15 years. I think it is a privilege to have a venue as nice as the Amsoil for these games. Most of the GR fans complaining about the venue would not be doing so had Rapids showed up in the 1st period. That was a problem from early in the year and it's a shame it didn't get solved and the price they paid was a one goal loss preventing a trip to state. The Colesium is a terribly ugly building with horrible sight lines. I would think the Sanford Center in Bemidji would be an alternative, it's a nice new building (also has suites like Amsoil) though it's seating capacity isn't enough.
and.....barely 4500 seats. Again, both the semi's and final's were between 5500 and 6000. Is the objective to turn people away so there isn't a PERCEPTION of an unfair arena advantage? Amsoil is the best venue for the popularity of these games. Period.
slyer

Post by slyer »

it's called st.cloud section 8AA moorhead and brainerd played there last week this section does it the right way were no team has an advantage. sorry to let ya in on this but it's only been at amsoil for two years otherwise it was at the dump the last 20
dangle_snipe

Post by dangle_snipe »

slyer wrote:it's called st.cloud section 8AA moorhead and brainerd played there last week this section does it the right way were no team has an advantage. sorry to let ya in on this but it's only been at amsoil for two years otherwise it was at the dump the last 20
I think they used to play the finals at the memorial building also.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

dangle_snipe wrote:
slyer wrote:it's called st.cloud section 8AA moorhead and brainerd played there last week this section does it the right way were no team has an advantage. sorry to let ya in on this but it's only been at amsoil for two years otherwise it was at the dump the last 20
Attendance has grown over the years, Hibbing only holds 4,500. Wrong answer. Try again.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
gitter

Post by gitter »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:It is not all about ticket revenues!
Yes it is. It's the same reason bracket integrity is compromised by the NCAA to accommodate Minnesota playing at Mariucci or Boston College to play in Massachusetts (if they happen to be regional hosts and qualify for the NCAA tournament in the same year).
dangle_snipe

Post by dangle_snipe »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
dangle_snipe wrote:
Attendance has grown over the years, Hibbing only holds 4,500. Wrong answer. Try again.
Not saying it is the answer...... Just pointing out it hasn't always been in Duluth .

I don't have a problem with the Duluth venue... I actually think there were more rapids fans at the game this year than DE fans.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

It's always fans complaining about venues. You think they'd be happy watching a section game at a first rate facility instead of a dump like the Coliseum. Poll the players and find out what they think. They are the ones who matter. It's truly a special event at Amsoil. When I played it was a thrill to get to play at the DECC. I'm sure todays players feel the same way.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

If it was still at the DECC, I think a rotation would be good. But Amsoil is too nice.

One thing I do like is that the 6AA/2AA & this year, 8AA (can't say every year because sometimes it's in TRF) is played on an olympic sheet. Almost like having to play a little bit different style, like it's making you have to win a little different style game to make it through. Different types of tests. With 7AA, it may be tough unless they went to Mariucci or St. Cloud though.

Maybe throw a bone though & go 1 of every 3 or 4 at the coliseum.
northwoods oldtimer

Best wishes to Duluth East on a State Title run you are a very well coached team.
clojacks1

Post by clojacks1 »

dangle_snipe wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
dangle_snipe wrote: I think they used to play the finals at the memorial building also.
Not saying it is the answer...... Just pointing out it hasn't always been in Duluth .

I don't have a problem with the Duluth venue... I actually think there were more rapids fans at the game this year than DE fans.
Didn't know that anybody was arguing that it ALWAYS was in Duluth....