East Grand Forks
82%

Total votes: 49

karl(east)

Class A QF: #5 Rochester Lourdes vs. #4 East Grand Forks

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:04 pm

#5 ROCHESTER LOURDES VS. #4 EAST GRAND FORKS
8:00 Wednesday
-This appears to be the first ever meeting between these two schools, and it should offer a very good finale to the first day of the tournament. It matches a northwestern school looking to make a splash with a southern private school

Rochester Lourdes (20-8, #7, 1-seed in 1A)
State appearances: 9 (5 in a row)
Key section win: 6-1 over #15 Mankato West
-The Eagles have been a fixture at Class A state of late, but this is their best shot to really make an impact. They are not an especially deep squad, but with stars like Jason Samuelson (7) and Alex Funk (20), they don’t need to be in order to have a shot at a first-round win. Any sort of production they can get beyond those players will be a huge help, and if the defense can avoid serious mistakes—as they seemed to do relatively well as the season went along—they will be in decent position to ride their two stars as far as they can take them.

East Grand Forks (22-3-3, #5, 1-seed in 8A)
State appearances: 8 (3 in old one-class tournament; first since 2002)
Key section win: 2-0 over #10 Warroad
-The Green Wave head to State as a relative unknown, having played few games against the Metro area Class A powers. While they’ve received big contributions from seniors Tommy Hajicek (17) and Kolton Aubol (14), they boast some legitimate future stars in players such as sophomore Dixon Bowen (9) and freshman Tanner Tweten (19). It all adds up to a fairly deep Class A team that has been strong defensively as well, but we’ll see if they can maintain that poise against Class A’s finest squads.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:40 pm

EGF all the way.........

EGF all the way........

EGF all the way.......

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

groundpoundinggrunt

Post by groundpoundinggrunt » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:38 pm

"It matches a northwestern school looking to make a splash with a southern private school"

Karl, no disrespect, I think you were close. I'll go with, "A Wave of Green is going to drown a southern private school."

EGF!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:38 pm

groundpoundinggrunt wrote:"It matches a northwestern school looking to make a splash with a southern private school"

Karl, no disrespect, I think you were close. I'll go with, "A Wave of Green is going to drown a southern private school."

EGF!
You know, I wasn't even trying to make a Green Wave allusion when I used the word "splash." Guess I'm just too smart for my own good. :mrgreen:

4thlineproblems

Post by 4thlineproblems » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:46 pm

Ive seen Loureds play a few times this year, and while their first line can compete with almost anyone in the state, there is not much depth after that as Karl said. Ive never seen EGF play but after looking at some of their scores they look to have an edge on paper. I suspect that it will be close for a period or 2 but EGF will wear them down. 5-3 EGF

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:15 am

4thlineproblems wrote:Ive seen Loureds play a few times this year, and while their first line can compete with almost anyone in the state, there is not much depth after that as Karl said. Ive never seen EGF play but after looking at some of their scores they look to have an edge on paper. I suspect that it will be close for a period or 2 but EGF will wear them down. 5-3 EGF

This description of RL reminds of the description for SCC.

Warrior18

EGF

Post by Warrior18 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:46 pm

being from the northern part of the state im always gunna take public over private! if EGF can play the type of defense they did in the section championship I believe they can make a splash in this tourny. with that being said I got EGF with a 3-1 victory. Go SEC8

Wallyworld

Post by Wallyworld » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:33 pm

TTpuckster wrote:EGF all the way.........

EGF all the way........

EGF all the way.......

And which way is that?

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Wallyworld wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:EGF all the way.........

EGF all the way........

EGF all the way.......

And which way is that?
You really are from another world, eh Wally

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:49 pm

A little surprised there isn't more chatter about this one. But in a match-up of depth vs. a few top-end players, I'll go with the deeper team, even though they are less experienced on this stage.

(Sorry, best I could do. This is not an easy mascot to work with.)

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Rochester has trouble on Wednesday again and goes to mariucci again. Rochester defense and goaltending suspect. I say EGF scores two head shaker goals in this one and that is the difference.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 pm

I think EGF wins 5-2

Not having last change will hurt Lourdes, they're well coached and when given a chance match lines as good as anyone, they won't have that advantage Wednesday.

If they get the lead Lourdes can be pretty smothering but they haven't had the lead much on the better teams this year and maybe not coincidently have lost most of those.

The longer Lourdes can keep it tied or down by 1 the better I like them to win because their top end talent is pretty darn good, if they fall behind by 2 or more they'll have to take chances and their defense and goaltending is pretty weak.

EGF came through a much tougher section than Lourdes as well, in the past Lourdes has struggled to adjust being outscored 23-2 the last 4 years in their quarterfinal game.

The stars will have to align for Lourdes to win and maybe they will

Washed Up

Post by Washed Up » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:40 am

Who I want to win and who I think will win are two different teams. I'd like to see EGF but, I think the speed of Lourdes will outmatch them.

Yes, the majority of their scoring is from the top two players, but every team they have faced knew this as well and they still haven't been able to stop them. In the section finals I can, with almost 100% certainty, say that West's game plan was to shut down Funk and Samuelson.

It's kind of like when team's play the Vikings.. They definitely focus on shutting down AP but that just doesn't happen. Now I'm not saying Funk and Samuelson are as standout as AP but they are definitely good players.

Like I said earlier, I'd like to see EGF win because of a deeply rooted dislike for all private schools. The key to EGF's success is play gritty hard-nosed northern hockey and play it well, but if they don't, I think it will Rochester's game.
Why so Serious?

bobforhockey

Post by bobforhockey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 am

-"because of a deeply rooted dislike for all private schools"
-"going to drown a southern private school"
-"im always gunna take public over private"

-"A little surprised there isn't more chatter about this one."
Seriously, Karl, wonder why no back and forth here?
Fundamental bigotry is welcome here!

Lourdes roster:
7 seniors playing together since termites/squirts in RYHA
7 kids playing on the team that their older brothers played on
3 sets of brothers currently on the team
0 kids transferred in from other Rochester schools
Parents who have coached for years and years in RYHA
This is a team from a community Catholic school, the only one for miles and miles. Yes, it cost tuition to go there, on top of our support of the public system....but it is not "private' in any way.

Best wishes for the EGF kids, but LHS is winning tonight.

Mailman

Post by Mailman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:23 am

I'm betting Lourdes too, but it's a bit of a toss up.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:45 am

EGF 5-3.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:38 pm

So is it pronounced Loordes or Lords. The radio guy is driving me nuts.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:40 pm

Mite-dad wrote:So is it pronounced Loordes or Lords. The radio guy is driving me nuts.
I've heard it get debated by people who are affiliated with the school!

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:41 pm

I want the #5 seed here.... 6-5 Lourdes

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Pronouced Lou-Erd See-Gulls

southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Mite-dad wrote:So is it pronounced Loordes or Lords. The radio guy is driving me nuts.
Loordes

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:49 pm

I would agree with Washed Up. Teams that develop game plans around 2 players, fail.

My guess is EGF will be aware of them, but not designing a game plan around them. Coach has probably told the team, when you see those two guys, put a shoulder on their sternum. And watch out for the D-man that will hipcheck your thigh into a deep bruise.

HockeyRoch

Post by HockeyRoch » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:11 pm

BadgerBob, you're quite the hater on Rochester Lourdes.

Was your son or yourself cut from the team at some point, or are you mad that they are the top team in Rochester?

I highly doubt there coach has talked to them about a Defenseman that will hip check their thighs and give them deep thigh bruises.

Anyways, keep posting. I love your rants.

PeterDenton

Post by PeterDenton » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Haha isn't he just a positive guy Hockeyroch? Bob I to am curious as to why you have such a deep hatred for Lourdes? Is Hockeyroch's assessment correct or are you just a sour spartan?

Anyways back to the game tonight. I think this will be a great game and has the potential to be the best game and only battle of today's sessions. Its the classic depth vs one great line scenario that has gone both ways in the past. In fact just two years ago Lourdes was seeded and had the depth when they ran into and lost to a one line Hibbing team (A. Johnson and N. DeCenzo). While last year they were a one line team and got smoked by a much better and deeper Hermantown team. I haven't seen East Grand Forks play all year and am really looking forward to seeing how they match up with Lourdes. However I got to go with my Eagles in this one in a close battle, with Funk and Samuelson having BIG games in their fourth and final trip to the X.

Eagles 4
Green Wave 3

Go Eagles!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:35 pm

bobforhockey wrote:-"because of a deeply rooted dislike for all private schools"
-"going to drown a southern private school"
-"im always gunna take public over private"

-"A little surprised there isn't more chatter about this one."
Seriously, Karl, wonder why no back and forth here?
Fundamental bigotry is welcome here!

Lourdes roster:
7 seniors playing together since termites/squirts in RYHA
7 kids playing on the team that their older brothers played on
3 sets of brothers currently on the team
0 kids transferred in from other Rochester schools
Parents who have coached for years and years in RYHA
This is a team from a community Catholic school, the only one for miles and miles. Yes, it cost tuition to go there, on top of our support of the public
system....but it is not "private' in any way.

Best wishes for the EGF kids, but LHS is winning tonight.

Non-metro pRivate schools tend to be a community school, I think.
Metro might be, also, but the stereotype is they take kids from all over the place.
Good luck to Lourdes, but I am cheering for the big green wave.