Class A Semifinal: EGF vs. STA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

East Grand Forks
47%
St. Thomas Academy
53%

Total votes: 34

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

GopherHockey wrote:
Nostalgic Nerd wrote:Lookin' like they could score 10+ even with their third and fourth lines. :shock:
I think that backup goalie just tried the stand up kick save on that five hole goal. :shock: :lol:
You're right! :lol:
I can splash in the rink puddles!
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

jeffpv wrote:
DubCHAGuy wrote:Yes STA has looked like the best puck moving team out there during there playoff run against #90, #68, #29, #59, and #22 in the PS2 rankings. None of the AA teams have been as impressive.

I would have given them a 70% (3AA) or 30% chance (4AA) of even making the AA tourney, depending on what section they played in. And I'd give them around 50-50 odds against each of the teams playing tonight. So yes, I think they could win the AA championship but we'll never know. The AA champ is usually whoever is playing their best against the best competition at the right time and not always the best team.
Fair enough. However, if they dismantle Hermantown like this tomorrow...well, I think that'd make a pretty strong case.
Bright side is that we'll see next year 8)
I don't see how you can say it won't be more of the same tomorrow. I know it wasn't a goal, but hey, so that's what it looks like to see the puck go into the STA goal. :lol:
DekeDangler

Post by DekeDangler »

With all the talk about Oliver being such a great D coach, you would think he would have prepared more than just 2 sets of D to be played. Also, why does he continue to allow certain D to be in the corner or behind the net at the same time? This has been a problem for them the whole year but no one seemed to think it was a big deal because they were winning. I guess they thought they could continue to get away with it when it really counts. I guess it's okay to start playing your extra players after you're behind by 8.
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

Right! It's good to know that there isn't a plexiglass barrier in the STA goalmouth :D
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

dherman8 wrote:I don't see how you can say it won't be more of the same tomorrow. I know it wasn't a goal, but hey, so that's what it looks like to see the puck go into the STA goal. :lol:
Because Hermantown is good, give Plante and company some credit.

The Hawks are a legitimate squad that could skate AA competitively, and they are going to want to redeem themselves after last year's loss.
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

What is the point, brutal show some class. Sta has forever ruined the tourney.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

The EGF student section deserves a lot of credit. They are all still here and making a lot of noise, even down 11 late in the 3rd. That's some impressive support. (Nearly all of the STA section has checked out--not that I blame them.)
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

preferhockey wrote:What is the point, brutal show some class. Sta has forever ruined the tourney.
I defend any team on that one. They shouldn't stop playing, but they can put the third and fourth lines on the ice.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Sue's a girls name

Post by Sue's a girls name »

DekeDangler wrote:With all the talk about Oliver being such a great D coach, you would think he would have prepared more than just 2 sets of D to be played. Also, why does he continue to allow certain D to be in the corner or behind the net at the same time? This has been a problem for them the whole year but no one seemed to think it was a big deal because they were winning. I guess they thought they could continue to get away with it when it really counts. I guess it's okay to start playing your extra players after you're behind by 8.
Dangler - there are different variations of d-zone coverages that don't always have one D in front of the net.

I'd say the problem with today's game was the talent level of the STA forwards vs that of the EGF D. This outcome had nothing to do with a defensive coach. Have you ever thought that maybe the number 5 and 6 D for EGF were kept off the ice for a reason - that is, the top 4 couldn't slow these guys down, not sure if that's the time to go further down the depth chart.
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

Geez, even the STA guys look a little bashful about what just went on.
I really hope Hermantown can make it interesting. From what I've seen, I'm not convinced that'll be the case (adding to the fact that STA's first and second lines will be very well rested).
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Sta d really needed to score that fourth goal. Would be very disappointed if that was my kid
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

preferhockey wrote:Sta d really needed to score that fourth goal. Would be very disappointed if that was my kid
No you wouldn't. If you were, I feel sad for your kid. This kid only had 3 goals all year!! He scored on 4 today on snap shots from the blue line...

I'll be glad to see STA move up to AA, should have happened two years ago. I only hope that Breck, Hermantown, Lourdes, etc.. follow suit in the near future.

As for tomorrow's game...best of luck Hermantown!! I hope it is a competitive game but STA looks REALLY good.
DekeDangler

Post by DekeDangler »

[quote="Sue's a girls name"][quote="DekeDangler"]With all the talk about Oliver being such a great D coach, you would think he would have prepared more than just 2 sets of D to be played. Also, why does he continue to allow certain D to be in the corner or behind the net at the same time? This has been a problem for them the whole year but no one seemed to think it was a big deal because they were winning. I guess they thought they could continue to get away with it when it really counts. I guess it's okay to start playing your extra players after you're behind by 8.[/quote]

Dangler - there are different variations of d-zone coverages that don't always have one D in front of the net.

I'd say the problem with today's game was the talent level of the STA forwards vs that of the EGF D. This outcome had nothing to do with a defensive coach. Have you ever thought that maybe the number 5 and 6 D for EGF were kept off the ice for a reason - that is, the top 4 couldn't slow these guys down, not sure if that's the time to go further down the depth chart.[/quote]

This is true. Their d-coverage today wasn't working for them and they made no adjustments. I lost track of the goals that came from both D being in the corner or behind the net.

11-0 outcome has nothing to do with the coaches? So, it's not the coaches fault, it's not the players fault, it's all because the other team was that much better. I guess all the talk about EGF's defensive core was all smoke this year. I guess all the talk about their depth was all smoke this year. If the 5 and 6 D were kept off for a reason, it was because someone failed to develop and prep them for it.

STA is a great team, but should be able to be held back a little more by a team of EGF with the quality of players that they have.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Sue's a girls name wrote:
DekeDangler wrote:With all the talk about Oliver being such a great D coach, you would think he would have prepared more than just 2 sets of D to be played. Also, why does he continue to allow certain D to be in the corner or behind the net at the same time? This has been a problem for them the whole year but no one seemed to think it was a big deal because they were winning. I guess they thought they could continue to get away with it when it really counts. I guess it's okay to start playing your extra players after you're behind by 8.

I'd say the problem with today's game was the talent level of the STA forwards vs that of the EGF D. This outcome had nothing to do with a defensive coach. Have you ever thought that maybe the number 5 and 6 D for EGF were kept off the ice for a reason - that is, the top 4 couldn't slow these guys down, not sure if that's the time to go further down the depth chart.
I'll start by saying I've only seen the two previous televised egf games; the Lourdes game, and their section title game.

Having said that, both games left me wondering what all the hubbub about this team was about.

Seemed more or less average team to me.

Crazy game today though.
loveitorleaveit

Post by loveitorleaveit »

bauerman wrote:i'm glad you pay attention to the TV announcers __sta pretty much rolled 4 lines and 3 sets of D the whole game
Correct - its not which line was playing that the comment was about - its about how long it took the announcers to see it.
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

I tip my hat to the EGF boys and their coaches. They have had a great season and have one more game to end the season on a strong note and set things for next year. Good job and good luck tomorrow!
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

thestickler07 wrote:
dherman8 wrote:I don't see how you can say it won't be more of the same tomorrow. I know it wasn't a goal, but hey, so that's what it looks like to see the puck go into the STA goal. :lol:
Because Hermantown is good, give Plante and company some credit.

The Hawks are a legitimate squad that could skate AA competitively, and they are going to want to redeem themselves after last year's loss.
I think Plante is great and I think Hermantown is a solid squad. They can skate competitively with some AA schools but beating them is another story. I said this before the tournament started and I'll say it again. This STA team is better than last year. With that said I find it hard to argue that this Hermantown team is better than last year and I don't think I would even say they are as good as last year's team. When the two met last year it ended 5-1 and I thought STA had Hermantown overmatched. Hermantown can want to redeem themselves as much as their hearts desire but the game won't be in doubt. They may keep it close for a while, they may be ahead for a while, but in the end you'll see the gap even if it doesn't totally show on the scoreboard. I'll say STA will win by 5 but I hope I'm wrong.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

The midget triple A team throttles a single A high school team and will most likely do the same to another single A team Saturday. Vannelli can put another trophy on the mantel. Good for him!
groundpoundinggrunt

Post by groundpoundinggrunt »

It was a tough game to watch, ecspecially from so far away. STA is a very talented team and I can see why they are going 2A. I was very proud of the way those EGF boys played. Didn't give up, kept their heads up and battled until the very end. Just wasn't their day today. Finish off strong tomorrow and walk away from the "X" with some knowledge and begin to formulate a plan of attack for next year. GO GREEN WAVE!

By the way, 1 minute left in the game and the camera pans to the EGF fans......they're losing 11-0 and acting as if they are 5 ahead. That's right, I'm from EGF and I'm damn proud of those kids! Once again...GO GREEN WAVE!
Bmiller

Post by Bmiller »

Loved the EGF fans!!! True sportsmanship at it's finest. This is exactly what the A class was destined for. I never really bothered with the private vs public school argument. But today, I am firmly believing that privates should not play this tourney.

Question for those in the know. Do the private schools have to pay to be part if this? If public schools are losing funding with each student who leaves for private schools, why should they allowed to participate in a public school event?
DekeDangler

changes not made in the Breck game

Post by DekeDangler »

It looks like EGF hasn't made any changes to their D coverage. Two D in a corner still isn't working for them.
Mailman

Re: changes not made in the Breck game

Post by Mailman »

DekeDangler wrote:It looks like EGF hasn't made any changes to their D coverage. Two D in a corner still isn't working for them.
That is strange at this level, to not have one d always in front of the net.