Class A Championship: Hermantown vs. STA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Can the Hawks pull it off?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 20

FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:31 pm

STA......best AA team to win three single A tournaments ever...hands down.....

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:31 pm

congrats to STA, I guess

Congrats to Hermantown. Hold your heads VERY high boys. Do not hang your heads. The whole state is proud of you

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Ugh, another painful loss for Hermantown. Very reminiscent of the 2011 final. Beautiful slapper by Novak. Congrats STA.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:33 pm

STA didn't need a thing. Just to try. I might be cynical from all the years of being a Minnesota sports fan but come on now, It was never in doubt.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:35 pm

FYI; anybody starting a second thread devoted to this game will find that topic deleted as soon as I find it. I've nuked two so far. Ignore this at your own peril.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

jeffpv

Post by jeffpv » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:39 pm

A crying shame that Hermantown let this slip through their fingers...again.
Well, there's always next year, and with STA up where they belong, perhaps Hermantown can bring it home.

STA really turned it on at the end.
Kind of a bummer call by the officials, but that was just one of the three goals STA managed to score in the third period. It's a 51-minute game, after all.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:40 pm

Extremely exciting and competitive game. Everyone that thought it was going to be a blowout is a joke; give Hermantown the credit they are due, they are a legitimate high level program.

Congrats to the Vannelli bros and company for the title. Let's hope they can carry the momentum into next year.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:40 pm

Mite-dad wrote:
BodyShots wrote:A no call, and a goal. UNBELIEVABLE
OMG he was being mauled! And definitely the STA dman pulled the Hermantown player down. Should have been a PP for Hermantown.
That "Official" down in the corner looked too malnourished to make the much needed holding call on the hold against Zeleznikar. Give that boy another doughnut!

Hey butt nugget you need to call it both ways!!!! Zebra's decide outcome of a great game.....unreal.
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sleepysteve

Post by Sleepysteve » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Call against Hermantown had to be made. Can argue all day about who pulled who but the hermantown guy was chasing, can't put your hand on the guy in that situation.

Should have been a call against STA right before the goal though. Too bad, great game to watch if no rooting interest.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:41 pm

The Vannellis actually seem like decent gentleman. You can almost see on their faces that they recognize this is just gross.

Patchy the Pirate

Time to move up

Post by Patchy the Pirate » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:42 pm

It's time for STA to move to the level they belong.

Not too often the stripes really control the outcome of the game, but this is one of them. Weak call on Hermantown with 1:57 left and a huge miss on STA right before the goal. Poor performance. STA did bring it at the end, but this is a tainted win.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:42 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:The Vannellis actually seem like decent gentleman. You can almost see on their faces that they recognize this is just gross.
Yeah sure you can!

The Hammer

Post by The Hammer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:43 pm

What a shame that the late penalty was called. The refs had swallowed their whistles and the call was not consistent with what they had been letting go. Mr. Plante had some fire in his eyes after that one.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:44 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:The Vannellis actually seem like decent gentleman. You can almost see on their faces that they recognize this is just gross.
Yeah sure you can!
It really shows on Vanelli's face in the post-game interview. :roll:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Sleepysteve wrote:Call against Hermantown had to be made. Can argue all day about who pulled who but the hermantown guy was chasing, can't put your hand on the guy in that situation.

Should have been a call against STA right before the goal though. Too bad, great game to watch if no rooting interest.
I think people are more thinking that if you make the first call, you have to make the 2nd call as well... or you don't make either call. Personally as much as I'd like to see refs not make calls late in games... I think BOTH were "must" calls.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:49 pm

There was no reason for Wasbotten to stick his hand into STA player right in front of the ref- and to do so in the offensive zone was brutal. Also, 3 bad clearing attempts by Htown resulted in 3 goals for STA. Ref probably should have swallowed his whistle on the call, but initially it appeared Wasbotten dragged the kid down.

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:49 pm

That was an awesome display of courage putting that second place medal over Bruce's head. :)

Hermantown Hawks gave the entire state a thrill today and I hope they know just how much we all appreciated the effort. Well done!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:52 pm

zamboni14 wrote:
Sleepysteve wrote:Call against Hermantown had to be made. Can argue all day about who pulled who but the hermantown guy was chasing, can't put your hand on the guy in that situation.

I think people are more thinking that if you make the first call, you have to make the 2nd call as well... or you don't make either call. Personally as much as I'd like to see refs not make calls late in games... I think BOTH were "must" calls.
Correct!

Sleepysteve

Post by Sleepysteve » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:55 pm

zamboni14 wrote:

Yep, agreed. I would not have minded if neither call was made, but if you call one you have to cal the other

sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:56 pm

zamboni14 wrote:

+1 if your going to make calls that late in the game you need to call them both ways regardless

2good4u

Post by 2good4u » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:03 pm

east hockey wrote:FYI; anybody starting a second thread devoted to this game will find that topic deleted as soon as I find it. I've nuked two so far. Ignore this at your own peril.

Lee
so that's where my thread went, stating that the refs seriously should never ref again, and what a b.s. call they made to blatantly let an obvious holding penalty go... yup makes sense now, refs will definitely have to walk out of the back door after that game to keep from getting mugged, hawks got robbed by the refs no ifs ands or buts, glad to see sta buy another championship while breck bought a 3rd, and marshall a consi, guess hockey is changing

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Does anyone remember 2011?

2good4u

Post by 2good4u » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:08 pm

dherman8 wrote:Does anyone remember 2011?
no only 2007

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:08 pm

The thing is the call late followed by the non-call really screws the STA kids as well. You take the breaks you get because often enough they go the other way, but it's not the best way to win.

2good4u

Post by 2good4u » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:09 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:The thing is the call late followed by the non-call really screws the STA kids as well. You take the breaks you get because often enough they go the other way, but it's not the best way to win.
sorry but those 2 calls dictated the game, those refs should be doing moose lake games here on out