Private School Trash talk thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 pm

east hockey wrote:Anyone who thought that closing this would be an invitation to carry the "battle" to other topics would be in for a rude awakening. Just sayin'.

Lee
Velvet hammer?

8)
The Puck
LGW

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 pm

east hockey wrote:Anyone who thought that closing this would be an invitation to carry the "battle" to other topics would be in for a rude awakening. Just sayin'.

Lee

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:18 pm

PuckU126 wrote:

Lee
Velvet hammer?

8)
I replaced the velvet with cast iron this morning, and added a rubberized grip to the handle. Swings much easier because of the extra weight. My wife wasn't happy when she found me practicing with it outside on the trees.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

thorhockey

Post by thorhockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:37 pm

What is fair about putting all of the private schools together? Do they deserve any less of an opportunity because they go to a private school and pay for tuition? If you put all private schools in one section, what does that relay about the fairness of the sport? Keep in mind that only one private school was in the AA tournament. I have no problem saying that every private school should have to play AA. However, to say that they should play in one section and that only one team gets to go is robbing those kids the same opportunity that a lot of people complain about public school kids missing out on. Keep in mind that they are all kids, and why shouldn't they all deserve the same chance to make it to state? It pains me to see that so many people on this forum would rather see a school like Lakeville North in the tournament than Hill-Murray, simply based off of their view on community-based hockey programs and hatred towards private schools.

Of course this most likely won't ever happen, but why not seed the state to create the "fairest" section brackets? If we go strictly by a definition of "fairness" is it fair that Lakeville North gets to play in the state tournament while Benilde, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, and other schools have to watch? Because that's what it would come down to if all private schools were put into the same section; you would have 2 or 3 of the top teams in the state sitting in the stands during the tournament instead of putting on a show on the ice.
Oh so now its about fairness huh????

Funny how you complain about "fairness" if it were your private team that doesnt make it. But at the same time "life just isnt fair" aimed at the publics when you try to defend why select, recruited privates belong in A or even in AA at all.

btw plenty of top notch teams don't make it to state every year. Put STA in Lakeville section and we could see an all private touney in short order. OOH so fun

next ???

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Yeah, because we all know segregating people makes things fair... :roll:

8)
The Puck
LGW

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:44 pm

UntouchableFlow wrote: What people tend to undervalue is that there is so much family history at a lot of these private schools. For a lot of the kids, it isn't a decision based just off of playing hockey, it's a tradition. I don't see playing for a youth association as a binding contract that you'll play for their High School program.
These are 2 statements that are absolutely true. Any of us that ever went to or sent kids to a private school know the truth. Whether you have a family tradition or not, kids in these schools become part of a family, part of a community. Hockey player or not. That connection lasts for the rest of our lives.

Your 2nd statement is also true. Playing any youth sport in any association does not tie a kid to the local public high school.

These are also 2 statements that "the other side" insists are not true.
Last edited by stpaul on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:45 pm

PuckU126 wrote:Yeah, because we all know segregating people makes things fair... :roll:

8)
Separate but equal right? :lol:

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:48 pm

thestickler07 wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:Yeah, because we all know segregating people makes things fair... :roll:

8)
Separate but equal right? :lol:
Oh, of course! :wink:

8)
The Puck
LGW

DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:53 pm

stpaul wrote:
UntouchableFlow wrote: What people tend to undervalue is that there is so much family history at a lot of these private schools. For a lot of the kids, it isn't a decision based just off of playing hockey, it's a tradition. I don't see playing for a youth association as a binding contract that you'll play for their High School program.
These are 2 statements that are absolutely true. Any of us that ever went to or sent kids to a private school know the truth. Whether you have a family tradition or not, kids in these schools become part of a family, part of a community. Hockey player or not. That connection lasts for the rest of our lives.

Your 2nd statement is also true. Playing any youth sport in any association does not tie a kid to the local high school.

If its family history how come so many of the hockey stars have siblings who don't attend these private schools? I'm sure you are right in certain cases (Schmidt and McManus at STA for example), but for the most part this rarely applies to the hockey teams.

I would agree with statement 2.

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:56 pm

DubCHAGuy wrote:
stpaul wrote:

Your 2nd statement is also true. Playing any youth sport in any association does not tie a kid to the local high school.

If its family history how come so many of the hockey stars have siblings who don't attend these private schools? I'm sure you are right in certain cases (Schmidt and McManus at STA for example), but for the most part this rarely applies to the hockey teams.

I would agree with statement 2.
I said family tradition or not.

thorhockey

Post by thorhockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:20 pm

kids in these schools become part of a family, part of a community., part of the privileged, part of the entitled, part of the arrogant (towards the less fortunate considered as
"the other side")
GOT IT stpaul :wink: Thanks

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:25 pm

thorhockey wrote:
kids in these schools become part of a family, part of a community., part of the privileged, part of the entitled, part of the arrogant (towards the less fortunate considered as
"the other side")
If you think that of all students and families that have attended private schools, you're sadly mistaken.

8)
The Puck
LGW

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:50 pm

thorhockey wrote:
"the other side")
This post is so stupid it hardly deserves a response. But I can't help myself. As part of my daughter's time at HM she worked shifts at Sharing and Caring Hands in Mpls. and went to Kentucky to build houses. I don't recall her being privileged, entitled or arrogant toward the less fortunate. In fact she learned a thing or two from the less fortunate that have helped make her quite the opposite. This is true of most HM kids.

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:56 pm

394 West wrote:
dherman8 wrote:Purity doesn't exist when privates are involved.
Why not..... check he rosters. Wayzata's Wahlin played at Hopkins last year. Edinas Hurley has a traveling bus on and on with other players.
I was making a joke that you have to read into a little bit. I won't argue there are some. At least those teams are AA. What's the list for privates? Actually, I don't even care, My whole argument was regarding STA anyway. Good luck arguing that being pure.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:00 pm

What a game. Gotta give credit to Hermantown first and foremost (something no one on this board seemed to do before the matchup) they played their hearts out and can compete with anyone, A or AA.

Now to my favorite group on the board, the haters.

Keep sippin' chumps, keep sippin'. Guzzle that haterade and keep up the saltiness. All the most compelling stories need a villain, and the vitriol from you all has been fuel for the boys on this squad.

I do have to thank you all though, because you have been an integral part of STA's success. You all have played a critical role in making STA the evil empire it is today. Your hate, insults, and disdain for the team pushed them harder and further.

So pour another chumps, and drink it all down. I'm sure it's a bitter swallow, but then again you guys have been setting yourselves up for it a couple years now so you got no one else to blame.

Later Class A, its been real. It's on to bigger and brighter things in AA for the Cadets though. Hopefully we can keep the evil empire/villain thing going, the "bad guys" have been doing alright in AA too this year it looks like.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:03 pm

thestickler07 wrote:What a game. Gotta give credit to Hermantown first and foremost (something no one on this board seemed to do before the matchup) they played their hearts out and can compete with anyone, A or AA.

Keep sippin' chumps, keep sippin'. Guzzle that haterade and keep up the saltiness. All the most compelling stories need a villain, and the vitriol from you all has been fuel for the boys on this squad.

I do have to thank you all though, because you have been an integral part of STA's success. You all have played a critical role in making STA the evil empire it is today. Your hate, insults, and disdain for the team pushed them harder and further.

So pour another chumps, and drink it all down. I'm sure it's a bitter swallow, but then again you guys have been setting yourselves up for it a couple years now so you got no one else to blame.

Later Class A, its been real. It's on to bigger and brighter things in AA for the Cadets though. Hopefully we can keep the evil empire/villain thing going, the "bad guys" have been doing alright in AA too this year it looks like.
Vitriol? It's mild on this Board compared to other Boards I visit. It just seems severe to you because of your rooting interest.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

2good4u

Post by 2good4u » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:06 pm

if the sta fan bus crashed and no one lived, would anyone care?
umm no

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:13 pm

thestickler07 wrote:What a game. Gotta give credit to Hermantown first and foremost (something no one on this board seemed to do before the matchup) they played their hearts out and can compete with anyone, A or AA.

Count me in for a double!! :evil:
Funny thing is I've met some really nice STA alums lately. Not anything like the STA backers here. Weird.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:16 pm

east hockey wrote:Vitriol? It's mild on this Board compared to other Boards I visit. It just seems severe to you because of your rooting interest.

Lee
Haha believe me, you read the STrib comment section before the mods clean it up you'd want to take a shower after.

Don't trip, my feelings aren't hurt. 8)

hockey59

RE: Pompous STA fans

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:23 pm

streakygopher from gopherpucklive response to the game today and to STA fans like "thestickler07" says it ALL:

Re: High School Hockey 2012-2013
by streakygopher » Sat 3/09/13 2:56 pm

"This game should have gone to OT. The REF is a complete a$$hole for watching an obvious holding no worse than the hold that put STA on the power play. Gawd I hate injustices and this game had a CL A team against a CL AA team and then, to rub salt in the wound, an obvious non-call that sealed the deal."

"On a separate note, STA players and fans are a bunch of arrogant little pricks with their planned celebrations and man love in the stands. They made a mockery of the tournament once again and usurped the legitimacy of Class A. "

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:31 pm

some of us (not all... but some,) don't hate ALL private schools.. we just hate the ones that coast for several years against the "weaker" schools (Breck/STA.) Personally, I don't hate any of the AA private schools (well... I'm not a fan of HM... but only because they wear green and I hate Edina with the fire of a thousand suns.. but I digress.)

So now you make the jump to AA. Now you'll have to face teams like DE, Edina, HM, section 6 champs (depending on who they are,) etc. Allow me to introduce you into what we deal with so you are familiar with things, because AA is totally different than A.

First... things that are a "given" in AA...
1) HM and WBL will play in their section final, usually HM wins.
2) Edina.. unless they are upset, they always make it in.
3) section 1. it's the "AA" version of a "gift" to the southern schools

Second... don't be surprised when this happens in AA...
1) only 3-4 of the top 10 ranked teams make it to state
2) Edina (doesn't matter their record) makes it to the semi-finals
3) HM and BSM is more hated than STA (been in AA longer and have won AA already)

Third... things you can never count on in AA..
1) making it to the state tournament (unless you are Edina)
2) having an easy path to win state
3) STA being the "evil empire"...

if STA fans think they will continue "walking" thru games in the AA tournament, they'll quickly find themselves going the way of Rochester JM and find themselves "forgotten"

welcome to AA

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Not sure how the STA program would get fuel from the "haters" on this site or the "haters" from anywhere. All these "haters" have been saying they are too good for A and that they are a joke for being there. Which has been proven with their overstayed welcome. Even other private programs have made fun of them. So you're telling me this was all fuel to stick around and beat up on lesser teams? Is that classy? Man, they really showed us where to stick it. At least they have the full respect of the high school hockey community......oh wait :roll:

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:35 pm

You and your team should be so proud. 5 titles in 8 seasons is really an accomplishment. Don't let anyone tell you that STA was sandbagging in Class A; it simply isn't true. They were just better than everyone because of their hard work and determination. To suggest that their success is due to drawing kids from a huge metro area is wrong.

Hermantown and EGF just don't know what they're doing, hopefully they learned something this year. If they can't mold 9 Elite Leaguers out of their communities to be on one team then they just don't belong in Class A. Hopefully the MSHSL will create a Class B for these outstate teams that just don't have what it takes. Every Class A team should be able to beat Shattuck.

Hats off to STA for testing themselves against the best year after year. Everyone is so proud of you.

Mailman

Post by Mailman » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Wow...........

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Novak will actually be able to be proud of something when he joins the NTDP next year.