Start of a Wayzata Dynasty?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Start of a Wayzata Dynasty?

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:10 am

-Young team and sounds like most of their talented bantams are planning on staying.

-Benilde on the slide with bad decisions and graduations.

Will they be the regulars out of their section?

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:17 am

It's possible, but there hasn't been a repeat champion out of 6AA since the mid-90s. It won't be easy, but the pieces are falling into place to make a run.

east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Start of a Wayzata Dynasty?

Post by east hockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:-Young team and sounds like most of their talented bantams are planning on staying.

Doubtful. Too tough a section, unless the annual realignment of the sections alters the makeup of 6AA.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

394 West

Post by 394 West » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Not likely. Without Dingman this years team is 500. EP will be very good next year. Tonka will also be in the hunt. BSM will rebuild. They have a number of very good players coming in. What might the bad decisions be? Wayzata has one of the biggest youth programs in the state. Their bantams are always top notch but for some reason this does not equal success at HS.

FadedRedLine

Post by FadedRedLine » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:19 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:-Young team and sounds like most of their talented bantams are planning on staying.

Wayzata has the talent. No question.
Last edited by FadedRedLine on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:27 pm

394 West wrote:Not likely. Without Dingman this years team is 500. EP will be very good next year. Tonka will also be in the hunt. BSM will rebuild. They have a number of very good players coming in. What might the bad decisions be? Wayzata has one of the biggest youth programs in the state. Their bantams are always top notch but for some reason this does not equal success at HS.
0.500 without dingman..UMMMM no...

394 West

Post by 394 West » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:50 pm

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:
394 West wrote:Not likely. Without Dingman this years team is 500. EP will be very good next year. Tonka will also be in the hunt. BSM will rebuild. They have a number of very good players coming in. What might the bad decisions be? Wayzata has one of the biggest youth programs in the state. Their bantams are always top notch but for some reason this does not equal success at HS.
0.500 without dingman..UMMMM no...
I think 8 one goal games and at least 4 two goal games points to two things. Great goaltending and no offense. They lost 7. Without Dingman I bet they loose 10-12. So you correct not 500 but sniffing 500. I also think without him they don't get past BSM much less Centennial.

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:35 pm

hard to say one way or the other with how good the other schools are in 6AA. Could they win the next 2-3 section titles? Sure. Could they get bounced in the semi-finals the next 2-3 years? Sure. Also putting a wrinkle into the discussion is if they re-align 6AA (doubt they will take any of the 4 "big" schools out.)

slacsap

Post by slacsap » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:41 pm

The only possible move I could see involving the four "big" schools is that IF Burnsville or Prior Lake move to 1AA, EdenPrairie might move to 2AA to replace them.

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:45 pm

slacsap wrote:The only possible move I could see involving the four "big" schools is that IF Burnsville or Prior Lake move to 1AA, EdenPrairie might move to 2AA to replace them.
the only thing that frightens me about losing a team.. is if they moved Edina back into 6AA to replace that team.

side note; I'd give my left arm for an un-named "A" team moving up to AA to be put into section 2 with Edina

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:47 pm

zamboni14 wrote:
slacsap wrote:The only possible move I could see involving the four "big" schools is that IF Burnsville or Prior Lake move to 1AA, EdenPrairie might move to 2AA to replace them.
the only thing that frightens me about losing a team.. is if they moved Edina back into 6AA to replace that team.

side note; I'd give my left arm for an un-named "A" team moving up to AA to be put into section 2 with Edina
Based on how they've placed teams in the past, it will be either 1AA or 3AA.

I wouldn't mind seeing them in 4AA, however. :)

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:53 pm

east hockey wrote:
zamboni14 wrote:

Lee
let's move them every year so every section can take a turn knocking them off :lol:

but back on topic... Wayzata is a funny animal in how they've been good at the youth level for years, but it wasn't translating to high school. Sure they lost kids to private schools or to juniors, but so has 'Tonka, EP, Edina, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is't this Pat's first year behind the bench at Wayzata?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:54 pm

FadedRedLine wrote:

Bad decisions? Sounds interesting. Bo can you elaborate.
The Pauly move with Baer will keep at least one top notched Hockey player from attending the school. Sounds like there might be many more changing their minds.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:55 pm

zamboni14 wrote:
east hockey wrote:
zamboni14 wrote:

Lee
let's move them every year so every section can take a turn knocking them off :lol:

but back on topic... Wayzata is a funny animal in how they've been good at the youth level for years, but it wasn't translating to high school. Sure they lost kids to private schools or to juniors, but so has 'Tonka, EP, Edina, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is't this Pat's first year behind the bench at Wayzata?
Second season.

And your description of Wayzata was exactly like how many described Eden Prairie until they won two championships in three years. The howling about Lee Smith used to be epic. Nowadays? Not so much.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:56 pm

east hockey wrote:
zamboni14 wrote:

Lee
Watch it Lee, this post may belong in a different thread! :lol:

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Pioneerprideguy wrote:
east hockey wrote:
zamboni14 wrote:

Lee
Watch it Lee, this post may belong in a different thread! :lol:
S'okay, I sent a PM of mild scolding to myself.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:03 pm

east hockey wrote:
zamboni14 wrote:
east hockey wrote:
zamboni14 wrote:

Lee

Second season.

And your description of Wayzata was exactly like how many described Eden Prairie until they won two championships in three years. The howling about Lee Smith used to be epic. Nowadays? Not so much.

Lee
AH! I knew he was "newer".. just couldn't remember when he first came to Wayzata. I would expect to see the fortunes change for Wayzata falling early and often with Pat behind the bench. Just like Pauly and Urick turning the 'Tonka program around, I think if nothing else we can say that if Wayzata does get beat in the semi-finals (or finals,) it won't be because of underachievement or because of an "upset" by either EP, Tonka or BSM (really any 1 of those 4 teams could have won any section in the state this year... that's not saying those 4 were more superior to all others... just that they were all good enough to knock off DE, Edina, Hill, Moorehead, Lakeville, Eastview or Centennial.)

MHL All-Star

Post by MHL All-Star » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Wayzata will be a good team next year. I have a feeling that quite a few kids on EP will leave though...i think we can all agree. Tonka will blow next year. Holy family will be be pretty good thats if gersich stays. BSM wont lose anyone to juniors next year that isnt graduating and there are a few kids from different schools that are coming. All they need is a goalie.

Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:26 pm

From what I have heard, EP is on the way out of section 6. If that is the case, Wayzata should be the favorite to come of that section. EP would go to 2, where they could be very competitive as I believe their only loss will be Warner, and possibly goaltender Kielly.

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:36 pm

MHL All-Star wrote:Wayzata will be a good team next year. I have a feeling that quite a few kids on EP will leave though...i think we can all agree. Tonka will blow next year. Holy family will be be pretty good thats if gersich stays. BSM wont lose anyone to juniors next year that isnt graduating and there are a few kids from different schools that are coming. All they need is a goalie.
actually I heard that 'Tonka will still be a solid team (not as good as this past seasons team and probably the "dog" to Wayzata/BSM.) I wouldn't count them out just yet.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Metrohockeyfan wrote:From what I have heard, EP is on the way out of section 6. If that is the case, Wayzata should be the favorite to come of that section. EP would go to 2, where they could be very competitive as I believe their only loss will be Warner, and possibly goaltender Kielly.
Considering some of the section games EP and Edina have played, not a bad scenario.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Metrohockeyfan wrote:From what I have heard, EP is on the way out of section 6. If that is the case, Wayzata should be the favorite to come of that section. EP would go to 2, where they could be very competitive as I believe their only loss will be Warner, and possibly goaltender Kielly.
Eden Prairie stays in Section 6, at least for the next two years. 8)

MHL All-Star

Post by MHL All-Star » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:26 pm

seriously, I was really looking forward to a change in this years section. All they could do was put STA in 3AA. That should of happened in 07'. Would of really liked to see either EP or Wayzata to change a bit since 6AA is only going to get more competitive. Going back to what Zamboni said, Tonka is losing a lot of good players because of graduation. All they have left is Ramsey and Schuldt. And lets be honest. Jack Ramsey, son of Mike Ramsey. Jack will leave. Still one of the most overrated hockey players in the state. Good bye tonka

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:27 pm

A month ago, I predicted a Wayzata/Holy Family section next season. Their youth, their goalie, their future is promising. If they can keep their players they could definitely be the favorite for a while.

394 West

Post by 394 West » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Is the dynasty supposed to start today or next fall?