Private School Trash talk thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Ahhh rainier, my #1 homie.

Keep it comin', its worked out pretty well for you so far!

:lol:

You wanted a villain, you got it.

Add one thing to the textbooks up there for next year's curriculum, nice guys finish last.
rainier

Post by rainier »

MrBoDangles wrote:Novak will actually be able to be proud of something when he joins the NTDP next year.
Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk! Love it!
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

thestickler07 wrote:
Keep sippin' chumps, keep sippin'. Guzzle that haterade and keep up the saltiness. All the most compelling stories need a villain, and the vitriol from you all has been fuel for the boys on this squad.

Later Class A, its been real. It's on to bigger and brighter things in AA for the Cadets though. Hopefully we can keep the evil empire/villain thing going, the "bad guys" have been doing alright in AA too this year it looks like.
I don't know that I would characterize those that merely want to see some competitive balance, "haters", Stickler07.
That's why a class system was developed in the first place. That's why there are salary caps in many professional sports. That's why the worst teams get the top draft picks, the following year. STA and some other private schools have competitive advantages that they choose to exercise, year after year. Is this good for high school hockey? Should it continue, even from STA's perspective? Did they truly think their first two state games provided state championship quality development opportunities for their underclassmen?
There's nothing "hateful" about wanting to improve a system, which appears as though may need a tweak.
rainier

Post by rainier »

thestickler07 wrote:Ahhh rainier, my #1 homie.

Add one thing to the textbooks up there for next year's curriculum, nice guys finish last.
Hey sticky, great job by your team. I know you don't like to brag, so I will let everyone here know about your line of self-help books. Using the STA philosophy, you have created timeless works such as:

"The 7 Habits of Highly Successful Sandbaggers."
"Gold Rush: How to Fake a Disability and Become a Special Olympics Legend."
"It's Not My Fault Babies are so Weak: How to Never Pay for Candy Again."
"Trophy Chasing for Dummies."
"CadetStrong: How Challenging Yourself Leads to Weakness."
"The Art of the Opt Up: Never Risk Not Going to State Again."
"Moneypuck: How STA Flipped the Script in Class A Hockey."
"Shut Up, Conscience!: 10 Steps to Eliminating that Pesky Thing Called Morality."
"Lou Ninny: Exposing the Lies and Biases of a Minnesota Hockey 'Genius'."
"Eat, Pray, Sandbag: One Team's Rise to Class A Glory."
"I Was There First: How to Silence that Old Lady Asking for Your Seat on the Bus."
"50 Tricks to Make Your Empty Trophies Appear Full."

Quite a library, Sticky!

The ones who were really thrilled by the latest STA surprise title are the players and fans from Roseau, BSM, Grand Rapids, Holy Family, Cloquet, Bemidji, etc. These folks are now scrambling to write letters and make phone calls to their AD's and principles in hopes of getting back down to Class A. They see the respect and love STA gained by dominating A and they now realize the folly of aiming for the stars. I bet Ken Pauly is locked in his room weeping as Cinderella's "Don't know what you got til its gone" plays over and over. He and the other opt-uppers can't wait to pull back into the safe harbor that is Class A.

Walk with your head high, Stickbait.
mackjogger

Post by mackjogger »

rainier wrote:STA is really showing everyone what Class A hockey is all about. It's crazy what they have done with such a small enrollment. I don't know what their formula is, but these outstate teams have no excuse, they just don't have the "magic" that STA has. If only EGF had desire, decent coaching, or even a hint of community support. Thank you STA for showing the rest of Class A what they need to work on.

Quite a Cinderella story. A tiny private school, with extremely humble alumni, has taken the scant talent that Class A teams have available to them and found a way to transform themselves into Shattuck-beaters and 23-0 first two rounds-dominators. Even after 4 titles in 7 years, no one believed in them, and now they get the last laugh.

They are the best Class A team ever. Sure, they will officially be in AA next year, but they will always be A in my heart. When they beat a Shattuck or Hill-Murray again, I won't see a school that gets talent from a metro area of 3 million people (plus Wisconsin), I will see a plucky group of overachievers that found a way patch together just enough skill to beat the #4 ranked team 11-0. They don't even have a youth program, for God's sake, yet they still get it done. Amazing.

Forgive me if I shed a tear when STA raises their 5th trophy in 8 years today, because I know I won't see such perfection again until the day I meet the creator at the pearly gates. So much heart, so much grit, so much success squeezed out of a rag-tag jumble of rink rat neighborhood kids just trying their best to keep these games within 10 goals. It really is life-affirming.

Good-bye, my sweet Cadets. I know you must leave, but it doesn't make it any easier. If some day another private school hires even better coaches and builds an even nicer rink and offers even more in scholarship money which leads to kids fleeing STA for this newer hockey factory, don't worry, we in Class A will welcome you back with open arms. What you've done on the ice these last 8 years is exactly what the MSHSL had in mind when they made Class A, so you'll always be like family.

Godspeed, you classy underdogs, godspeed.

That my friends was a classic post.......welldone!!!!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

STA could have bought a trophy made of gold for all the money they spent buying players
basconi

Private vs Public

Post by basconi »

I'm old..but I use to go to both the Public and Independent School Tour. back in the day. The Public tourn had one class as did The Independent Tourn. The Public had the David vs Goliath, North vs. South as did the Independent. I wish they would go back to that. Warroad vs Edina, Dululth Cathedral (Marshall) vs. Hill Murray etc. Both packed arenas to sell outs. Albeit the Independent was at smaller venues. But they were both exciting to go to. Now the excitement seems to be waning and the crowds are going to continue to dwindle. By the time the MSHSL realizes it H.S. hockey will be ruined. Hockey associations are seeing less interest every year with the loss of players brought up through their system only to be picked off by an elite private school. That and the escalating cost mounting that only elite private schools can afford doesn't bold well for the future. Lets face it how many of these recruited players would be at these schools if they had to pay their own way? The influence and heritage of the small Northern schools enticed the Twin Cities into developing one of the most revered H. S. tournaments in the U.S. Its hard to believe it will be gone someday ...but it will
Northhcky

Re: Private vs Public

Post by Northhcky »

basconi wrote:I'm old..but I use to go to both the Public and Independent School Tour. back in the day. The Public tourn had one class as did The Independent Tourn. The Public had the David vs Goliath, North vs. South as did the Independent. I wish they would go back to that. Warroad vs Edina, Dululth Cathedral (Marshall) vs. Hill Murray etc. Both packed arenas to sell outs. Albeit the Independent was at smaller venues. But they were both exciting to go to. Now the excitement seems to be waning and the crowds are going to continue to dwindle. By the time the MSHSL realizes it H.S. hockey will be ruined. Hockey associations are seeing less interest every year with the loss of players brought up through their system only to be picked off by an elite private school. That and the escalating cost mounting that only elite private schools can afford doesn't bold well for the future. Lets face it how many of these recruited players would be at these schools if they had to pay their own way? The influence and heritage of the small Northern schools enticed the Twin Cities into developing one of the most revered H. S. tournaments in the U.S. Its hard to believe it will be gone someday ...but it will
Sad to say but the days of going to state and maybe winning a title with your buddies you have played with your whole life is pretty much gone now. It's a sad sad situation when you even have to go out of state for players like STA has done to win a title. And to win the small school title at that. I'm old too and i just don't get it. It really can't mean anywhere near as much as it used to. Hope thats not really where our society is, win anyway you can even if you know deep down it's unfair, it's more important to have the bragging rights. I think it's already gone and the MSHSL won't do a thing to change it probably not because they know it is wrong but because of pressure from money.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

rainier wrote:

Hey sticky, great job by your team. I know you don't like to brag, so I will let everyone here know about your line of self-help books. Using the STA philosophy, you have created timeless works such as:

"Shut Up, Conscience!: 10 Steps to Eliminating that Pesky Thing Called Morality."
"I Was There First: How to Silence that Old Lady Asking for Your Seat on the Bus."

Quite a library, Sticky!

The ones who were really thrilled by the latest STA surprise title are the players and fans from Roseau, BSM, Grand Rapids, Holy Family, Cloquet, Bemidji, etc. These folks are now scrambling to write letters and make phone calls to their AD's and principles in hopes of getting back down to Class A. They see the respect and love STA gained by dominating A and they now realize the folly of aiming for the stars. I bet Ken Pauly is locked in his room weeping as Cinderella's "Don't know what you got til its gone" plays over and over. He and the other opt-uppers can't wait to pull back into the safe harbor that is Class A.

Outstanding!!!

Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Northhcky wrote:
basconi wrote:I'm old..but I use to go to both the Public and Independent School Tour. back in the day. The Public tourn had one class as did The Independent Tourn. The Public had the David vs Goliath, North vs. South as did the Independent. I wish they would go back to that. Warroad vs Edina, Dululth Cathedral (Marshall) vs. Hill Murray etc. Both packed arenas to sell outs. Albeit the Independent was at smaller venues. But they were both exciting to go to. Now the excitement seems to be waning and the crowds are going to continue to dwindle. By the time the MSHSL realizes it H.S. hockey will be ruined. Hockey associations are seeing less interest every year with the loss of players brought up through their system only to be picked off by an elite private school. That and the escalating cost mounting that only elite private schools can afford doesn't bold well for the future. Lets face it how many of these recruited players would be at these schools if they had to pay their own way? The influence and heritage of the small Northern schools enticed the Twin Cities into developing one of the most revered H. S. tournaments in the U.S. Its hard to believe it will be gone someday ...but it will
Sad to say but the days of going to state and maybe winning a title with your buddies you have played with your whole life is pretty much gone now. It's a sad sad situation when you even have to go out of state for players like STA has done to win a title. And to win the small school title at that. I'm old too and i just don't get it. It really can't mean anywhere near as much as it used to. Hope thats not really where our society is, win anyway you can even if you know deep down it's unfair, it's more important to have the bragging rights. I think it's already gone and the MSHSL won't do a thing to change it probably not because they know it is wrong but because of pressure from money.
Right on, both of you.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Mailman wrote:
Northhcky wrote:
Right on, both of you.
Yes for sure guys you hit the nail on the head on this subject. I too am an old man and never in my life did I think I would be pulling for Edina but I was because that program still does it the old fashioned way with their own home spun kids. I too think it is over and some smart mouths on here think Bruce Plant is a whiner. Not so just telling it like it is. Too many people chasing the next opportunity. The tournament has become really hollow for a guy my age...empty if you will. It has been a great tradition but I agree to think it is on the edge of ending. The dynamic of it is changed for sure with loaded up teams. It is sad day in Minnesota hockey. The divide between the haves and have nots is greater than ever. Heart and soul and effort can no longer get over the top and that was proven today in the Hermantown game.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Mailman wrote:
Northhcky wrote: Sad to say but the days of going to state and maybe winning a title with your buddies you have played with your whole life is pretty much gone now. It's a sad sad situation when you even have to go out of state for players like STA has done to win a title. And to win the small school title at that. I'm old too and i just don't get it. It really can't mean anywhere near as much as it used to. Hope thats not really where our society is, win anyway you can even if you know deep down it's unfair, it's more important to have the bragging rights. I think it's already gone and the MSHSL won't do a thing to change it probably not because they know it is wrong but because of pressure from money.
Right on, both of you.
Yes for sure guys you hit the nail on the head on this subject. I too am an old man and never in my life did I think I would be pulling for Edina but I was because that program still does it the old fashioned way with their own home spun kids. I too think it is over and some smart mouths on here think Bruce Plant is a whiner. Not so just telling it like it is. Too many people chasing the next opportunity. The tournament has become really hollow for a guy my age...empty if you will. It has been a great tradition but I agree to think it is on the edge of ending. The dynamic of it is changed for sure with loaded up teams. It is sad day in Minnesota hockey. The divide between the haves and have nots is greater than ever. Heart and soul and effort can no longer get over the top and that was proven today in the Hermantown game.
I don't understand? They blew two 2-goal leads.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
394 West

Post by 394 West »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Mailman wrote:
Northhcky wrote: Sad to say but the days of going to state and maybe winning a title with your buddies you have played with your whole life is pretty much gone now. It's a sad sad situation when you even have to go out of state for players like STA has done to win a title. And to win the small school title at that. I'm old too and i just don't get it. It really can't mean anywhere near as much as it used to. Hope thats not really where our society is, win anyway you can even if you know deep down it's unfair, it's more important to have the bragging rights. I think it's already gone and the MSHSL won't do a thing to change it probably not because they know it is wrong but because of pressure from money.
Right on, both of you.

I love what Bruce Plante said and agree with him. But before you praise Edina too much you should look at where a number of their boys came from. Looks like anywhere from apple valley to Mpls. I don't think the majority of the guys grew up playing outdoors at Cornelius. That's ok but don't be delusional
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Too many people chasing the next opportunity. The tournament has become really hollow for a guy my age...empty if you will. It has been a great tradition but I agree to think it is on the edge of ending. The dynamic of it is changed for sure with loaded up teams. It is sad day in Minnesota hockey. The divide between the haves and have nots is greater than ever. Heart and soul and effort can no longer get over the top and that was proven today in the Hermantown game.
Delusional is a good word for it. Sorry, but the high school hockey you are lamenting as lost started to disappear 44 years ago. Large suburban wealthy high schools with better facilities started dominating high school hockey with Edina's first Championship in 1969. The group of guys growing up together in a small town or city neighborhood and going on to win a state title ended long ago.

The thing is - it's still a great tournament. There were a half dozen fabulous high school hockey games at the Xcel the last 3 days including STA - Hermantown today. We should stop making such a big deal about how, where and why families choose to send their kids to high school. Fact is these teams are made up of high school students.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

394 West wrote:I love what Bruce Plante said and agree with him. But before you praise Edina too much you should look at where a number of their boys came from. Looks like anywhere from apple valley to Mpls. I don't think the majority of the guys grew up playing outdoors at Cornelius. That's ok but don't be delusional
Hurleys were about as home grown as you can get, for the Academy maybe. The whole clan went through STA's sister school for elementary. You might recognize Hurley the elder sporting the middle school uni.

http://i.imgur.com/KRQbxlb.jpg?1

What could have been... 8)
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

rainier wrote:

Quite a library, Sticky!

This is surrealistically delusional, hateful and...and...and...words escape me...and words don't easily escape me.

You need help....Seriously.
Buy ya a soda after the game!
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Ogie wrote:
rainier wrote:

Quite a library, Sticky!

This is surrealistically delusional, hateful and...and...and...words escape me...and words don't easily escape me.

You need help....Seriously.

He's not that crazy Ogie.

I'm gonna send signed copies of all my collective works to rainier so he has some off-season reading material.

I got a great line in one of my favorites by Francis Jeffrey Lord Jeffrey that you and your boy Plante might learn something from: "The tendency to whining and complaining may be taken as the surest sign symptom of little souls and inferior intellects."

I'll give you that nugget for free, thinking about that should hold you over until the UPS guy gets there with the rest of em.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Wow....Just wow...

Remind me to never be on your side again.
Buy ya a soda after the game!
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

The Stepford Children won another tin cup trophy, stolen from the small schools of Minnesota.

Is there a creepier team in MN than STA with those creepy looking uniforms and no girls?

Ish.
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:......never in my life did I think I would be pulling for Edina but I was because that program still does it the old fashioned way with their own home spun kids..
Exactly. Very strange feeling, indeed.

Ideally, I would like to see a private school class, since they have a competitive advantage. But in the short run, I think we'll go a long way toward softening the issue just by STA's move to AA.
Breck will be the next villain, in line.
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

WayOutWest wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:......never in my life did I think I would be pulling for Edina but I was because that program still does it the old fashioned way with their own home spun kids..
Exactly. Very strange feeling, indeed.

Ideally, I would like to see a private school class, since they have a competitive advantage. But in the short run, I think we'll go a long way toward softening the issue just by STA's move to AA.
Breck will be the next villain, in line.
We all know that STA's championships are a joke and a stain on the history of the tournament. Thankfully they have finally stepped up and moved to AA, but have left a trail of broken dreams in their wake in the A tournament. Like beating St Cloud Apollo 12-0 in a game that pitted a true A class team against a loaded team of All-Stars from large hockey associations. Is this the kind of honor and gamesmanship they teach at STA? Boy, am I glad I saved that tuition money for my kid's college if that's the case. .
Last edited by WB6162 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gems

Post by Gems »

[

[/quote]

Yes for sure guys you hit the nail on the head on this subject. I too am an old man and never in my life did I think I would be pulling for Edina but I was because that program still does it the old fashioned way with their own home spun kids [/quote]

...check your facts oldtimer Connor Hurley is an Eagan (association) kid who went to Shattuck to Holy Angels and landed in Edina...open enrollment makes every school private period. So don't try and make Edina out to be something it's not...no Norman Rockwell there.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Ogie wrote:Wow....Just wow...

Remind me to never be on your side again.
This is another example of how hatred can ruin the "spirit" of hockey just as much (IMO more) as private schools being in A. Not once has my post been acknowledged that this is now the third final Hermantown has blown leads.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

stpaul wrote
Delusional is a good word for it. Sorry, but the high school hockey you are lamenting as lost started to disappear 44 years ago. Large suburban wealthy high schools with better facilities started dominating high school hockey with Edina's first Championship in 1969. The group of guys growing up together in a small town or city neighborhood and going on to win a state title ended long ago.
So then its alright for privates to perpetuate and speed up the destruction?
Thanks for agreeing with us on "the other side" stpaul. you can now start to help us do something about this mess.

and then actually listening to what Plante and intellegent people on this thread are actually saying. Lech and future coaches for Hill will never have the cahoonas to tell a star player to stay and play at his own school
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Shouldn't "telling" a player where to attend school the role of parents?