Mr. Hockey 2014

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

agreatdayforhockey

Mr. Hockey 2014

Post by agreatdayforhockey »

Let the debate begin.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

1. Connor Hurley
2. The Field
Spehar33

Post by Spehar33 »

Connor Hurley ain't coming back. Be prepared for a very large exodus of players to Juniors, NTDP...Canadian Juniors.
green4

Post by green4 »

the only chance i saw Hurley coming back for his senior year was if they lost in state and he wanted to try to get one more run at it. But now with his own state championship i think he is going to leave.

Im going with one of the burnsville boys, dont know which one yet or if there staying or leaving but either Sheehy or Kivhalme
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Avery Peterson
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
394 West

Post by 394 West »

Spencer Nass.
eagles137

Post by eagles137 »

Spinner
StreetStix

Post by StreetStix »

Few of the names from AA that come to mind:

Sheehy
Teemu
Peterson
Edina (Munson? Nanne? Assuming that Hurley departs)
Beaulieu
Slattery?
Herdt?
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Sheehy, Spinner, Naas
stcloud57

Post by stcloud57 »

Need to put Cline (Blaine) on this list
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

StreetStix wrote:Few of the names from AA that come to mind:

Sheehy
Teemu
Peterson
Edina (Munson? Nanne? Assuming that Hurley departs)
Beaulieu
Slattery?
Herdt?
You can probably take the Slatt-man off this list. Without LaValle on his line I don't see him being terribly productive next year. I think he'll still have a good year, but I don't think he's going to be a candidate. He has too much of a shoot-first mentality, even in scenarios where the extra pass would be a sure-goal. He was one of the slowest players on the ice during the tourney in my opinion as well.
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

Depending on who stays...
Spinner (EP)
Cline (Blaine)
Hurley (Edina)
Sheehy (Burnsville)
Snuggerud (EP)
Peterson (Grand Rapids)
Yon (Roseau)
Dougherty (STA)
Naas (BSM)
Pionk (Hermantown)
Belieau (Dul East)
Poganski (SCC)
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Johnny Austin
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

If he sticks around, its Hurley's to lose. Since this award is mostly selected by NHL scouts, and Hurley has been a favorite all year -- highest ranked high school player in the country -- he's a shoo-in.

Besse had it sealed this time last year, just because of his performance at State.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the same thing will happen w/ Hurley.

Mr. Hockey is effectively becoming the award for the highest player on Central Scouting's watchlist who DOESN'T leave early.

Kivihalme would be next on the list. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave early either. They are both on the USNTDP radar in a big way.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

They are both 95's, they'll be to old for the NDTP, their only real option will be the USHL
celly93

Post by celly93 »

Shinbone_News wrote:If he sticks around, its Hurley's to lose. Since this award is mostly selected by NHL scouts, and Hurley has been a favorite all year -- highest ranked high school player in the country -- he's a shoo-in.

Besse had it sealed this time last year, just because of his performance at State.

Mr. Hockey is effectively becoming the award for the highest player on Central Scouting's watchlist who DOESN'T leave early.

Kivihalme would be next on the list. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave early either. They are both on the USNTDP radar in a big way.
While I agree that it became obvious that Besse would be the front runner after State, he certainly deserved the award based on his 2012-2013 performance.

He scored 76 points (T-2nd in AA) in 28 games. Fifteen of those games were against teams that either went to State (A/AA) or were ranked in the top-12 in the final LPH AA poll.

He finished 4th in the goals race and although many people point out the imbalance of his goals to assists, he still finished in the top 3% for AA players in assists.

I think it's a common misconception that Besse could've won it putting up average numbers.
Hockey102

Not sure

Post by Hockey102 »

He might not be coming back
Hockey102

EP and Burnsville boys

Post by Hockey102 »

Only have a chance is Edina guys go -- Spinner if he can stay healthy.
If they return Kiviahlme has best chance.. Sheehy will be second best F on the Burnsville team if he comes back. The Boser (SP) kid will be better next year - he was hurt and still played great in the playoffs. He'll be BUrnsvilles top F
xy

Post by xy »

While there might have been years where it seemed obvious the views of NHL scouts were given a lot of weight in naming Mr. Hockey, I'm not really sure how you make a case that that happened in 2012 or 2013, seeing as how both Kloos and Besse were passed over in the 2012 draft and neither was the highest rated draft-eligible senior in the year he won.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

Phil Beaulieu, Duluth East. Four year varsity D man.
StreetStix

Post by StreetStix »

allstatebenders wrote:Phil Beaulieu, Duluth East. Four year varsity D man.
Consistent points against the state's toughest teams since 9th grade. Never finishing a season without a trophy from the state tournament (Second, Consolation, Third). He has plenty of D1 interest and should definitely be in the running. I also think Avery Peterson should be a forerunner, he's NHL type talent who consistently has put up great numbers and carries that GR offense frequently. Being from the northland these are the two I know best and see the most. You guys from the south have a better idea of the metro studs.
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

Shinbone_News wrote:If he sticks around, its Hurley's to lose. Since this award is mostly selected by NHL scouts, and Hurley has been a favorite all year -- highest ranked high school player in the country -- he's a shoo-in.

That would be an awkward convo with the coach :lol:
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

xy wrote:While there might have been years where it seemed obvious the views of NHL scouts were given a lot of weight in naming Mr. Hockey, I'm not really sure how you make a case that that happened in 2012 or 2013, seeing as how both Kloos and Besse were passed over in the 2012 draft and neither was the highest rated draft-eligible senior in the year he won.
Exactly, and not to mention, Rau winning it in 2011. Although he was drafted in 3rd round I believe, he definitely wasn't at the top of NHL central scouting....
Sartellcelly

Post by Sartellcelly »

It's Hurley, if he comes back. Probably on the low side of 50-50 that he does.

Otherwise, no one else on Edina has a shot. It will be by committee that they make State next year.

I think you then go to Peterson. Many of the west metro guys mentioned above are living off rep and under-performed last season.

One quasi-dark horse is Naas. He's got game for scoring goals, is sneaky fast and BSM will be counting on its offense to carry the day yet again.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Vapor wrote:Depending on who stays...
Spinner (EP)
Cline (Blaine)
Hurley (Edina)
Sheehy (Burnsville)
Snuggerud (EP)
Peterson (Grand Rapids)
Yon (Roseau)
Dougherty (STA)
Naas (BSM)