Goal Celebrations

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

clojacks1

Goal Celebrations

Post by clojacks1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:47 am

I got really tired of the "slide on one knee goal celebrations" this year. Is it me, or has it become out of style to actually respectfully celebrate, WITH THE GUYS ON THE ICE WITH YOU, instead of gliding all over on one knee and sweeping up the ice with your glove like you did it all by yourself....

sagard

Post by sagard » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:04 am

Yeah even the Hill guys were doing it. Seems to me the once had tradition of jumping into the bench with their teammates.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 am

Yeah, I thought things got a little over the top this year as well. Sometimes one just needs to act like they have scored a goal before.

One of the TV news broadcasts brought up this very point. They quoted the head of the Coaches Association and he felt that the coaches should do more to reign their players in. Otherwise, you may see a push for unsportsmanlike conduct penalties coming from somewhere.

HockeyGuy952

Post by HockeyGuy952 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:08 am

I didn't like how many of them would go all the way down to the red line or even the far blue after they scored. I believe that would deserve a penalty by not staying in the zone win you celebrate UNLESS you score from outside of the zone.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 am

Its absolutely painful to watch and I hate it. Slattery for Hill does this one hand mopping the floor thing and glides down half the sheet of ice. Way overboard and not a fan.

deacon

Post by deacon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:13 am

Don't like it, especially when they skate past their teammates to do it. Novak's tebow after the game winner was unbelievably awesome though.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32 am

I don't mind if they score and their teammates are on a line change so there is no one around them but I can't stand the backdoor pass and then act like you "did it all yourself"

wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 am

I say who cares, let them celebrate! Scoring goals is fun! Scoring goals is hard! Sure Back in the day celebrations were simple but so was the game. The game now today is all about systems hockey now (as it needs to be at that level for player development), I love to see the creativity of the kids come out somewhere. As long as it doesn't become "in your face" like taunting, I say let'm celey! I am no a STA fan one bit, but I LOVED the Novak "Tebow".
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

A quality "celly" is as much a part of the hockey culture as pretending not to be hurt, or the handshake line at the end of games. Let em go, have some fun, dont take everything so seriously.

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 am

Time to reel in the stupid celebrations. Show some class. I am definitley disappointed that Lechner has allowed the knee slide celebrations. Not a Hill-Murray thing in my opinion.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions

Vapor

Post by Vapor » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:19 pm

deacon wrote:Don't like it, especially when they skate past their teammates to do it.
Agree ! These kids need to realize its not all about them. I can see it if its an OT winner, but other than that, grab your nearest teammate.

seek & destroy

Post by seek & destroy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:34 pm

wannagototherink wrote:I say who cares, let them celebrate! Scoring goals is fun! Scoring goals is hard! Sure Back in the day celebrations were simple but so was the game. The game now today is all about systems hockey now (as it needs to be at that level for player development), I love to see the creativity of the kids come out somewhere. As long as it doesn't become "in your face" like taunting, I say let'm celey! I am no a STA fan one bit, but I LOVED the Novak "Tebow".
I agree! A good 'cele' is fun to watch and the players should do what they feel is right as long as it isn't done in front of the opposing bench or taunting. A coach always has the ability to tell his team that they shouldn't do flagrant 'cele's' but I wouldn't want penalties called for it.

I personally think that it is much classier for a player to acknowledge his teammates or the player who made the pass that led to the goal but, if a player would rather go off on his own to 'cele', that is up to the player. Typically, teammates will send a subtle message to their player if they think he is overdoing it and not being a good teammate.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Let the kids celebrate. Most will never have a moment like that the rest of their lives. I am way more turned off by an NFL player celebrating a tackle when down by 3 TDs or a 6-6 basketball player flexing and screaming into the camera for a dunk after jumping 3 inches off the ground.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:08 pm

I guess I always felt like hockey was different. Are guys on any other level of hockey doing this? I don't see it in college or the pros. Have fun, go berzerk, but this is how it starts gentlemen. Pretty soon kids are going to be playing leapfrog on skates after a goal or pulling out a sharpie and signing the glass. Pretty soon they'll have to mute the intros because kids can't just stick to being humble and saying "hi grandma". Heck, might as well just give kids 30 seconds when their names are announced during intros to skate to the line backwards and their teammates can do some God-awful choreographed dance. Ugh.

Lowstickside

celebrations

Post by Lowstickside » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:51 pm

I didn't like them. Seems like either jump up on the glass, or ride on your knee accross the ice pointing at the scorebored like you just counquered a new country after 190 days at sea. Ridiculous, but after hearing the commentators refer to half the kids in the tournament like they should be on the gophers power play next weekend, I can see why they think so highly of their acheivements.

There were some huge goals worthy of massive celebrating, but this almost got boring, and it's not going to end for a long time.

wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:I guess I always felt like hockey was different. Are guys on any other level of hockey doing this? I don't see it in college or the pros. Have fun, go berzerk, but this is how it starts gentlemen. Pretty soon kids are going to be playing leapfrog on skates after a goal or pulling out a sharpie and signing the glass. Pretty soon they'll have to mute the intros because kids can't just stick to being humble and saying "hi grandma". Heck, might as well just give kids 30 seconds when their names are announced during intros to skate to the line backwards and their teammates can do some God-awful choreographed dance. Ugh.
Pretty soon you'll see kids selling the advertising rights to their intros? Did those Marshall kids get paid for their Sonju ad? Lol.(This is just a joke not accusing anyone of anything)
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Stop being a bunch of wet blankets.

Let the kids do what they want.

oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:41 pm

thestickler07 wrote:Stop being a bunch of wet blankets.

Totally agree. They are not celly'ing for the "fans" approval. Their teammates all do it too. (and think it's cool) I don't see any of them complaining... And yes, the guy's in the NHL, College, Juniors do it to (where do you think the kids got the idea from???????) Time to evolve as a fan. The "good 'ol days" are gone and not coming back.

clojacks1

Post by clojacks1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Why? For the most part, these are selfish self absorbed displays of "look at me". Should the assist kid do it also?

hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:50 pm

A change in kids' attitudes about celebrations won't occur from the bottom up, especially when you have clowns like Yakupov, Ovechkin, and others doing the same thing.

I vote let them celebrate. That way you can even better differentiate between players' attitudes.

Edit: And some of them are pretty awesome to watch :)

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:10 pm

oldschoolpuckster wrote:

Totally agree. They are not celly'ing for the "fans" approval. Their teammates all do it too. (and think it's cool) I don't see any of them complaining... And yes, the guy's in the NHL, College, Juniors do it to (where do you think the kids got the idea from???????) Time to evolve as a fan. The "good 'ol days" are gone and not coming back.
Really? I won't say I watch college and the pros every day, but I have never once seen a college or pro sliding down the length of the ice on one knee mopping the ice with one of their hands. I see them do a little pump here and there, but not to this level.

Whatever, guess I'm in the minority that doesn't like all the celebrating that goes with sports these days. I guess I just miss those good ol days where you kept your head down and your mouth shut
8)

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:15 pm

clojacks1 wrote:Why? For the most part, these are selfish self absorbed displays of "look at me". Should the assist kid do it also?
Why not? I never saw the point of getting all hot and bothered about how 16 year olds celebrate their success.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:17 pm

thestickler07 wrote:
clojacks1 wrote:Why? For the most part, these are selfish self absorbed displays of "look at me". Should the assist kid do it also?
Why not? I never saw the point of getting all hot and bothered about how 16 year olds celebrate their success.
Sounds like you're not a stickler for being humble

GOODNIGHT FOLKS!

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:24 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:Sounds like you're not a stickler for being humble

GOODNIGHT FOLKS!
No just never let the actions of others bug me as much as some others do. shrug

Never said it was the route I would've taken, but to each his own. Some kid from Edina sliding his hand on the ice isn't going to ruin my day.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Don't use the comparison to the NHL and college. Football players do some of the worst and some more creative celebrations, but not allowed at the high school level.

Whether you like it or not...it will be a penalty for excessive celebrating in the next few years. Might even be next year, but I know it's an emphasis of the mshsl.