2013 WHL Bantam Draft - Top USA Prospects

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Blackhawkfan

2013 WHL Bantam Draft - Top USA Prospects

Post by Blackhawkfan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Rank Player Pos Team
#1 Ryan Lindgren D Shattuck St. Mary’s
#2 Joey Anderson F Hill Murray HS
#3 Patrick Khodorenko F Honeybaked
#4 Kiefer Bellows F Edina, MN
#5 Austin Long F Spring Lake Park, MN
#6 Blake Bargar F Arizona Bobcats
#7 Ryan Edquist G Shattuck St. Mary’s
#8 Zach Walker F Colorado Thunderbirds
#9 Sean Cullinane D LA Jr. Kings
#10 Phillip Knies F Arizona Bobcats
#11 Hank Crone F Dallas Elite Stars
#12 Callun Foote D Colorado Thunderbirds
#13 Riley Williams D Shattuck St. Mary’s
#14 Garrett White F Edina, MN
#15 Keegan Mantaro D Colorado Thunderbirds
#16 Jaden Anderson F Colorado Thunderbirds
#17 Ben Lown F Shattuck St. Mary’s
#18 Andre Ghantous F LA Jr. Kings
#19 Connor Nobach D LA Jr. Kings
#20 Trey Bagwell F Colorado Thunderbirds
#21 Jake Garman F Alaska Jr. Aces
#22 Brian Hawkinson F Colorado Thunderbirds
#23 Dylan Strahan F LA Jr. Kings
#24 Georg Landro D Anaheim Jr. Ducks
#25 Garrett Nieto G Anaheim Jr. Ducks
#26 Nolan Walker F Alaska Allstars
#27 Max Gerlach F Colorado Thunderbirds
#28 Jack Kelly F Osseo Maple Grove, MN
#29 Carson Bergstrom D Arizona Bobcats
#30 Josh Pusar D Colorado Rampage
#31 Tripp Hutchinson G Arizona Bobcats
#32 Anea Ferrario D Colorado Thunderbirds
#33 Niko Karamanis F Shattuck St. Mary’s
#34 Payton McSharry F Alaska Allstars
#35 Doug Dendy G Colorado Thunderbirds
#36 Logan McColgan F LA Jr. Kings
#37 Ezekial Estrada F California Wave
#38 Austin Park G Colorado Thunderbirds
#39 Ethan Roswell D Arizona Bobcats
#40 Matt Denman D Prior Lake, MN
[/img]

observer

Post by observer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:17 pm

I understand the dad is Canadian but that's pretty funny. Obviously Bellow's family has suggested he'd be willing to go or he'd never be listed so high. If it was a flyer a lot of Minnesotans would be listed.

O-townClown

Re: 2013 WHL Bantam Draft - Top USA Prospects

Post by O-townClown » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Blackhawkfan wrote: #36 Logan McColgan F LA Jr. Kings
Safe to assume this is Shane's brother? It'll be interesting to see if he winds up in the WHL too. A can't-miss kid at age 14, the WHL path certainly hasn't been great for Shane. Now he's 20, is a marginal NHL prospect, and can't play NCAA hockey.

I guess the lure of that attractive WHL education package will be tested soon as he chooses between that or a minor pro contract.

I'll keep an eye out for McColgan to see which way he goes.
Be kind. Rewind.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Where is Kevin Fellows?

goaliewithfoggedglasses

Post by goaliewithfoggedglasses » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:15 am

Blackhawkfan wrote: #14 Garrett White F Edina, MN
Garrett WAIT not White.

dreampuck

Updated list

Post by dreampuck » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 am

The posting above is 3 weeks old. This is the latest ranking from Western Elite Hockey Prospects that came out on March 7th, 2013 - These rankings come out every 2 weeks and will change slightly each time. The WHL (US) Prospects camp is in Anaheim CA April 12-14th and this list will likely have a few changes after that as well. There are 80 skaters and 12 goalies attneding from the US including a few more MN kids that are not on this list that were invited, not sure who or how many will be attending.

Updated List:

Rank Player Pos Team
#1 Ryan Lindgren D Shattuck St. Mary’s (MN)
#7 Ryan Edquist G Shattuck St. Mary’s (MN)
#14 Garrett Waite F Edina, MN
#33 Payton McSharry F Alaska Allstars
#34 Doug Dendy G Colorado Thunderbirds
#35 Logan McColgan F LA Jr. Kings
#36 Ezekial Estrada F California Wave
#37 Austin Park G Colorado Thunderbirds
#38 Ethan Roswell D Arizona Bobcats
#39 Matt Denman D Prior Lake, MN
#40 Cole Weaver G Russell Stover (MN)

Blackhawkfan

Re: Updated list

Post by Blackhawkfan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:55 pm

dreampuck wrote:The posting above is 3 weeks old. This is the latest ranking from Western Elite Hockey Prospects that came out on March 7th, 2013 - These rankings come out every 2 weeks and will change slightly each time. The WHL (US) Prospects camp is in Anaheim CA April 12-14th and this list will likely have a few changes after that as well. There are 80 skaters and 12 goalies attneding from the US including a few more MN kids that are not on this list that were invited, not sure who or how many will be attending.

Updated List:

Rank Player Pos Team
#33 Payton McSharry F Alaska Allstars
#34 Doug Dendy G Colorado Thunderbirds
#35 Logan McColgan F LA Jr. Kings
#36 Ezekial Estrada F California Wave
#37 Austin Park G Colorado Thunderbirds
Touchy....Touchy
3 weeks and the only real change is Niko Karamanis (a Canadian who was mistakenly put on the American list by WEHP) gets moved and #40 Cole Weaver pushes up the list up to round out the top 40.

Some of us didn't get their March 7th newsletter as quick as others.......

Take it easy dream

Blackhawkfan

Post by Blackhawkfan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:45 pm

goaliewithfoggedglasses wrote:
Blackhawkfan wrote: #14 Garrett White F Edina, MN
Garrett WAIT not White.

Sorry.......that is how WEHP has Garrett listed. It wasn't me......take it up with WEHP.

Rusty Blades

Post by Rusty Blades » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:37 pm

It would appear that the U14 Colorado Thunderbirds and their coach, Adam Foote are representing well, 10 out of 40 is very impressive.

observer

Post by observer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:14 pm

CO Thunderbirds representing well, 10 out of 40 is very impressive.
It's not. Several reasons why not.

Shows scouting isn't even close as there is no way those 10 players are that much better than any other wonderful 10. Why the CO Thunderbirds? Because of the coach? That's wrong for so many reasons and absolutely proves scouting is, as often rumored, not doing much correctly. A coach talks to 10 sets of parents, suggests this is the best path for development and their son's long term future, and, boom, 10 are on this list. Man, I gotta see this team. I noticed Shattuck beat them.

A lot of western state players are the imports on the WHL teams for a couple of reasons. One, they own territorial rights to the players. Two, someone has convinced the players that they're likely NHL players and this is the best path.

Some discussion on another thread about the CHL providing the most players to the NHL. Of course. They didn't mention that more than half don't ever get a sniff.

They're not doing anything better as tons of top athletes in the US play other sports. Think about super football, baseball and basketball players you know. Almost every top Canadian athlete is steered to hockey.

Some would say sad that more of the players don't aspire to play D1 hockey. A couple of great teams in Colorado. Play in the USHL or NAHL and play at Denver or CC.

The list are players that have indicated they're willing to play in the WHL. Not anywhere near a list of best players. Did anyone ask all top players if they're interested in the WHL? Did players you know get that call? I'm sure they're all very good players but I'll suggest they land somewhere in the top 400 overall.

I always think of the wonderful careers some of the people I know are in. I don't necessarily know which ones but some of these kids are making a mistake.

Other reasons this list is close but also silly?
Would you like your 98 player on this list?

Blackhawkfan

Post by Blackhawkfan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:32 pm

observer wrote:

Shows scouting isn't even close as there is no way those 10 players are that much better than any other wonderful 10. Why the CO Thunderbirds? Because of the coach? That's wrong for so many reasons and absolutely proves scouting is, as often rumored, not doing much correctly. A coach talks to 10 sets of parents, suggests this is the best path for development and their son's long term future, and, boom, 10 are on this list. Man, I gotta see this team. I noticed Shattuck beat them.

A lot of western state players are the imports on the WHL teams for a couple of reasons. One, they own territorial rights to the players. Two, someone has convinced the players that they're likely NHL players and this is the best path.

Some discussion on another thread about the CHL providing the most players to the NHL. Of course. They didn't mention that more than half don't ever get a sniff.

They're not doing anything better as tons of top athletes in the US play other sports. Think about super football, baseball and basketball players you know. Almost every top Canadian athlete is steered to hockey.

Some would say sad that more of the players don't aspire to play D1 hockey. A couple of great teams in Colorado. Play in the USHL or NAHL and play at Denver or CC.

The list are players that have indicated they're willing to play in the WHL. Not anywhere near a list of best players. Did anyone ask all top players if they're interested in the WHL? Did players you know get that call? I'm sure they're all very good players but I'll suggest they land somewhere in the top 400 overall.

I always think of the wonderful careers some of the people I know are in. I don't necessarily know which ones but some of these kids are making a mistake.

I would agree with most everything that you say except the part that "The list are players that have indicated that they are willing to play in the WHL.

That is not the case. The list is the top 40 from the perspective of the guy who puts out the Western Elite Hockey Prospects. He may have talked to some of the players, but certainly not all

Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Most of the kids on this list are very, very good hockey players. I believe the reason there aren't more Minnesota kids on this list is because they don't want to leave home. Remember, all these kids have played AAA hockey for most of their careers and are used to very long seasons, missing a lot of school, traveling on air planes around the country every weekend, etc. Kids who play AAA (not the lame spring/summer Minnesota AAA hockey) have been conditioned more to play WHL type of hockey on and off the ice.

hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:08 pm

observer wrote:

Cothunderbirds can't be that good because st louis beat them and Rosemount AA bantams beat st louis 10 to 0 this winter and thier not even top 10 in Minnesota

Blackhawkfan

Post by Blackhawkfan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:09 am

hockeymannorth wrote:
observer wrote:

Cothunderbirds can't be that good because st louis beat them and Rosemount AA bantams beat st louis 10 to 0 this winter and thier not even top 10 in Minnesota
When did Rosemount AABantam play St. Louis?

Wildcathcky

Post by Wildcathcky » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:00 am

hockeymannorth wrote:
The CO Thunderbirds are a very strong team, ranked 6th in the country according to MyHockeyRankings. Rosemount thumped a St. Louis team in the NAPHL Showcase at Blaine, but it is not the same St. Louis team that CO played. Rosemount played against the St. Louis Selects. CO did not play the Selects team. They played against the St. Louis Blues AAA 98 team, another highly ranked team.

IHEA

Post by IHEA » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 am

Reality check--

St. Louis AAA Blues never played Rosemount. The St Louis team in that tournament isn't even in the same hemisphere.

98 St. Louis AAA Blues are 50-5-6 ranked 4th in the US
98 Colorado Thunderbirds are 44-9-8 ranked 6th
CO is 1-1 against Stl this year.

Neither team has played any Minnesota Bantam teams this year.

Rosemount beat the 98 St. Louis Selects 4-3 and 6-2 in that showcase. Not 10-0. They also beat 98 Omaha AAA 2-1 and 3-1.

The 98 Omaha AAA club is ranked a DISMAL 84th in the country.

So to put things into perspective: Rosemount, a team with 12 97s and 4 98s barely beat a 98 AAA team from Omaha ranked 84th in the country.
Last edited by IHEA on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

dreampuck

WEHP Prospects Report as of 3/20/2013

Post by dreampuck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14 am

New list with some changes

Rank Player Pos Team
#6 Philip Knies F Arizona Bobcats
#8 Blake Bargar F Arizona Bobcats
#9 Zach Walker F Colorado Thunderbirds
#10 Sean Cullinane D LA Jr. Kings
#16 Dylan Strahan F LA Jr. Kings
#18 Jaden Anderson F Colorado Thunderbirds
#20 Jordan Porter F Dallas Stars Elite
#23 Kailer Yamamoto F LA Jr. Kings
#30 Austin Park G Colorado Thunderbirds
#31 Andre Ghantous F LA Jr. Kings
#32 Tripp Hutchinson G Arizona Bobcats
#33 Brady Newton F Anaheim Jr. Ducks
#37 Matthew O'Brein D Dallas Stars Elite

IHEA

Post by IHEA » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:29 am

IHEA wrote:Reality check--

St. Louis AAA Blues never played Rosemount. The St Louis team in that tournament isn't even in the same hemisphere.

98 St. Louis AAA Blues are 50-5-6 ranked 4th in the US
98 Colorado Thunderbirds are 44-9-8 ranked 6th
CO is 1-1 against Stl this year.

Neither team has played any Minnesota Bantam teams this year.

Rosemount beat the 98 St. Louis Selects 4-3 and 6-2 in that showcase. Not 10-0. They also beat 98 Omaha AAA 2-1 and 3-1.

The 98 Omaha AAA club is ranked a DISMAL 84th in the country.

So to put things into perspective: Rosemount, a team with 12 97s and 4 98s barely beat a 98 AAA team from Omaha ranked 84th in the country.
If you look at the 98AAA rankings http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2012&a=3&v=116
you'll see that 2 of the top 3 teams in the region the WHL can draw from (Shattuck, Colorado, St Louis) are well represented on the list. The rest of the top teams are out east (Honeybaked, Comcast, Compuware, Chicago Mission, Long Island, New Jersey). These teams/players are outside of the WHL territory.

Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:05 pm

I believe St. Louis is not in the WHL territory or half their team (Jr. Blues) would be in that top 40 list. Logan Brown, Ty Farmer, Zach Solow, Woll, and the list goes on with that team. This team did not play Rosemount and if it did, double digit beat down would have happened. St. Louis Selects is a Tier II team. A very good Tier II team, but not even in the same rink as the Blues.

IHEA

Post by IHEA » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Puckstopper81 wrote:I believe St. Louis is not in the WHL territory or half their team (Jr. Blues) would be in that top 40 list. Logan Brown, Ty Farmer, Zach Solow, Woll, and the list goes on with that team. This team did not play Rosemount and if it did, double digit beat down would have happened. St. Louis Selects is a Tier II team. A very good Tier II team, but not even in the same rink as the Blues.
The comparison is 98 AAA teams to Bantam "AA" teams that are full full of 97s. Using Hockeymannorth's logic what does this say about Bantam AA hockey when you look at Rosemount scores against other teams like:
3-4 L vs Prior Lake
4-4 T vs Prior Lake
1-2 L vs Centennial
4-5 L vs Edina
3-2 W vs Edina
1-2 L vs Burnsville
0-4 L vs Burnsville
1-1 T vs Woodbury

Some good players in Bantam AA, but its no wonder why the AAA teams get more attention.

Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:29 pm

I do think AAA teams get more scout presence than Minnesota hockey for the most part. Why? AAA teams play a way longer schedule and a lot more games. Like I said before, AAA kids sacrifice quite a bit more as well as the parents over their Minnesota counterparts. I think this makes it very appealing to scouts.

Magnaesq

Post by Magnaesq » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:56 pm

Blackhawkfan wrote:Rank Player Pos Team
[/img]
#17 should be far higher. He may have the best acceleration of any '98 anywhere.
#32 should be far higher. A dominant defenseman on a dominant team with excellent size.
#36 is Shane McColgan's cousin.
Last edited by Magnaesq on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Magnaesq

Post by Magnaesq » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:00 pm

IHEA wrote:If you look at the 98AAA rankings http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2012&a=3&v=116
you'll see that 2 of the top 3 teams in the region the WHL can draw from (Shattuck, Colorado, St Louis) are well represented on the list. The rest of the top teams are out east (Honeybaked, Comcast, Compuware, Chicago Mission, Long Island, New Jersey). These teams/players are outside of the WHL territory.
#3 plays on Honeybaked and is from Northern California. He is WHL eligible and would be an automatic 1st round pick if he elects to play there. Size, hands, and vision.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Magnaesq wrote:
Blackhawkfan wrote:Rank Player Pos Team
[/img]
#17 should be far higher. He may have the best acceleration of any '98 anywhere.
#32 should be far higher. A dominant defenseman on a dominant team with excellent size.
#36 is Shane McColgan's cousin.
While these listings (which evidently are compiled by Western Elite Hockey Prospects) are interesting to look at - the fact remains that 1) Regarding the MN players listed - I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell that any of them would sign with a WHL team, at least not in the next two years 2) I don't believe any of the eight MN players listed have actually indicated any interest in playing in the WHL to Western Elite Hockey Prospects. 3) the player listed as #28 is a Defenseman, not a forward.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Junior draft lists are very interesting to me. Look at it this way, if you are scouting Bantams and want to see good players you would go where you will see a bunch of them. How many kids in a community-based Minnesota Bantam game are going to be CHL candidates? Not many obviously. Even the really good ones might not have an interest in Kelowna.

Maybe you go to the Warrior or Bauer Invite. What do you see? "AAA" level kids with a number of good players all on one team playing another similar team. And you know, because there are very few good options (like playing on a Minnesota HS team at age 16-17) that you could get a kid from many of these teams.

A friend's son was on a mediocre Tier I "AAA" team that played in USA Hockey nationals and over half the kids showed up on Junior hockey draft lists. If you are playing Bantam A in Coon Rapids or North St. Paul you aren't easily on the scout's radar.

I don't care if my son's name is on the list of prospective Junior players at age 14. It isn't meaningful. Of course it seems like it is to the parents when their kid is 14, but it really isn't.
Be kind. Rewind.