Mr. Hockey 2014

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

agreatdayforhockey

Post by agreatdayforhockey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:33 pm

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 am

Willie Brown

in2hockey

Post by in2hockey » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:20 am

Granttenn

Based on Elite League and U17's

Post by Granttenn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:40 pm

I think the Elite League is a good predictor since it is an apples to apples comparison with respect to level of competition. Plus you had 8 Juniors make the Elite League All Star Teams (MN White & Red) so that is a great indicator [I put '$$ in front of those 8)...Same with The U17's and the guy from Western Hockey Blog had a good breakdown of the U17 finals.
Sorry I don't follow D too closely and they have their own category now.

Elite League Goals are in ( ), $$ =Made All-Star Team. Below that is list from U17's by Western Hockey Blog guy.. Pretty Consistent..

[ELITE LEAGUE GOALS - 20 games]

Conner Hurley (dropped) Edina
(inj) Jack Ramsey (12) Minnetonka
$$ Tyler Sheehy (11) Burnsville
$$ Steven Spinner (10) Eden Prairie
$$ Willie Brown (9) Hill Murray
$$ Spencer Naas (8) BSM
$$ Austin Pogansky (8) St Cloud Cath.
$$ Karson Kuhlman (7) Cloquet
Andrew Zerban (7) Elk River
Westin Michaud (7) Cloquet
Mitch Slattery (7) Hill Murray
$$ Avery Peterson (5) Grand Rapids
Tyler Cline (5) Blaine
$$ Zach Yon (5) Roseau
Aaron Herdt (5) Moorhead

Western Hockey Blog Final U17's Top (junior) Players: Had to delete SR. 95's..

Connor Hurley, Karson Kuhlman, Avery Peterson, Tyler Sheehy, Willie Brown, Tyler Cline.

Every one of these is also on $$ Elite League All Star list except for Tyler Cline (who is a heck of a player) so you definitely have consistency and those kids should be considered the favorites..Tough to argue that IMO.

Reg7

Re: Based on Elite League and U17's

Post by Reg7 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Granttenn wrote:I think the Elite League is a good predictor since it is an apples to apples comparison with respect to level of competition. Plus you had 8 Juniors make the Elite League All Star Teams (MN White & Red) so that is a great indicator [I put '$$ in front of those 8)...Same with The U17's and the guy from Western Hockey Blog had a good breakdown of the U17 finals.

Elite League Goals are in ( ), $$ =Made All-Star Team. Below that is list from U17's by Western Hockey Blog guy.. Pretty Consistent..

$$ Spencer Naas (8) BSM
Tyler Cline (5) Blaine
$$ Zach Yon (5) Roseau
Aaron Herdt (5) Moorhead

Connor Hurley, Karson Kuhlman, Avery Peterson, Tyler Sheehy, Willie Brown, Tyler Cline.

Every one of these is also on $$ Elite League All Star list except for Tyler Cline (who is a heck of a player) so you definitely have consistency and those kids should be considered the favorites..Tough to argue that IMO.
Nice job Granttenn I like the comparison and frankly Mr. Hockey 2014 is wide open and is a ways off so will see who comes to play next season... :wink:

Wallyworld

Bodyshots

Post by Wallyworld » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:21 pm

The last shall be first..

Let's symbolically give it to BODYSHOTS JR.. Obviously he had some sporting disappointments he never got over and now spends his days spewing out sarcasm while plodding along at a job he hates. Didn't get that one right either did ya. Let's see ego & sarcasm - sounds like maybe an attorney.. Sue me if I'm wrong..That's the profile from Cerebral Scouting for the disenchanted anyways.. Go Bodyshots in 14'.... Wahlin from WBL in 15'

HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Vapor wrote:Depending on who stays...
Spinner (EP)
Cline (Blaine)
Hurley (Edina)
Sheehy (Burnsville)
Snuggerud (EP)
Peterson (Grand Rapids)
Yon (Roseau)
Dougherty (STA)
Naas (BSM)
Pionk (Hermantown)
Belieau (Dul East)
Poganski (SCC)
Pionk is not coming back next year.

BodyShots

Re: Bodyshots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:58 am

Wallyworld wrote:The last shall be first..

Let's symbolically give it to BODYSHOTS JR.. Obviously he had some sporting disappointments he never got over and now spends his days spewing out sarcasm while plodding along at a job he hates. Didn't get that one right either did ya. Let's see ego & sarcasm - sounds like maybe an attorney.. Sue me if I'm wrong..That's the profile from Cerebral Scouting for the disenchanted anyways.. Go Bodyshots in 14'.... Wahlin from WBL in 15'
HELLO...... McFly....... Is anybody in there??????

You lost me with this one, Wally. You need to lay off the sauce.

What? You didn't like my prediction of Willie Brown winning the 2014 Mr. Hockey? You know, he does play for HM, and with your boy Joey.

WarmUpTheBus

Re: Based on Elite League and U17's

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:22 am

Granttenn wrote:I think the Elite League is a good predictor since it is an apples to apples comparison with respect to level of competition. Plus you had 8 Juniors make the Elite League All Star Teams (MN White & Red) so that is a great indicator [I put '$$ in front of those 8)...Same with The U17's and the guy from Western Hockey Blog had a good breakdown of the U17 finals.

$$ Spencer Naas (8) BSM
Tyler Cline (5) Blaine
$$ Zach Yon (5) Roseau
Aaron Herdt (5) Moorhead

Favorite Forwards.
5 0f the last 10 Mr Hockey winners have been defensemen.

BlueLineSpecial

Re: Bodyshots

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:07 pm

BodyShots wrote:
Wallyworld wrote:The last shall be first..

HELLO...... McFly....... Is anybody in there??????

You lost me with this one, Wally. You need to lay off the sauce.

What? You didn't like my prediction of Willie Brown winning the 2014 Mr. Hockey? You know, he does play for HM, and with your boy Joey.
What is going on right now :lol:

I think if Willy B can continue to develop he certainly has as good a chance as anyone. He is a sniper for sure, quick release, good vision, unselfish. I really like this kid.

agreatdayforhockey

Post by agreatdayforhockey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Kivihalme, Sheehy, Naas and Spinner all set to play on the same Advanced 18 team this weekend.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:21 pm

Any new guesses based on early departures? I'm having a difficult time finding a favorite...

Aaron Herdt-F-Moorhead
Alex Strand-F-Roseau
*Avery Peterson-F-Grand Rapids
Chandler Lindstrand-D-Wayzata
Johnny Austin-D-Benilde
Mitch Slattery-F-Hill-Murray
Nick Wolff-D-Eagan
Spencer Naas-F-Benilde
Steven Spinner-F-Eden Prairie
Travis Brown-D-Rogers
Tyler Cline-F-Blaine
Tyler Nanne-F-Edina
Will Hammer-F-St. Cloud Cathedral
Zach Yon-F-Roseau

Assuming Avery is gone, and without other big names, I'm thinking it'll come down to the best scorer on the best team... which isn't a very risky guess. It should be an interesting race to watch.

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:32 pm

The Exiled One wrote:Any new guesses based on early departures? I'm having a difficult time finding a favorite...

Aaron Herdt-F-Moorhead
Alex Strand-F-Roseau
*Avery Peterson-F-Grand Rapids
Chandler Lindstrand-D-Wayzata
Johnny Austin-D-Benilde
Mitch Slattery-F-Hill-Murray
Nick Wolff-D-Eagan
Spencer Naas-F-Benilde
Steven Spinner-F-Eden Prairie
Travis Brown-D-Rogers
Tyler Cline-F-Blaine
Tyler Nanne-F-Edina
Will Hammer-F-St. Cloud Cathedral
Zach Yon-F-Roseau

Assuming Avery is gone, and without other big names, I'm thinking it'll come down to the best scorer on the best team... which isn't a very risky guess. It should be an interesting race to watch.
what about Sheehy? i thought he was coming back. He or peterson would be my choice. also if edina has a finalist im guessing it will be munson over nanne

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Peterson sounded like he was coming back in the piece on LaRoque's resignation, so I'm assuming he's in Grand Rapids until we definitively hear otherwise.

My ten finalists, in no particular order:

Peterson (Grand Rapids)
Naas (Benilde)
Sheehy (Burnsville)
Spinner (Eden Prairie)
Yon (Roseau)
Brown (Hill-Murray)
Brown (Rogers)
Wolff (Eagan)
Beaulieu (Duluth East)
Snuggerud (Eden Prairie)

Austin, Slattery, and Cline could easily be rotated in here as well.

Seems like a AA-heavy field this year.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:13 am

karl(east) wrote:Peterson sounded like he was coming back in the piece on LaRoque's resignation, so I'm assuming he's in Grand Rapids until we definitively hear otherwise.
http://www.grandrapidsmn.com/news/artic ... 963f4.html
Avery Peterson, the team’s leading scorer in 2012-13 as a junior, said the announcement was “shocking,” and that you could hear a pin drop when LaRoque delivered the announcement.

“None of us saw this coming,” he said. “We all thought it was a meeting for the upcoming season.”

“It was an emotional moment, but it was good,” Peterson said. “I thought he did it the right way.”
Sounds like it, but I wonder if this had an effect on his plans? If he comes back, I think he's the frontrunner.

Though it may change, there are currently no Gopher recruits in the mix this year. I wonder when the last time there were no Gopher recruits among the finalists?

Granttenn

agree

Post by Granttenn » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:33 am

karl(east) wrote:Peterson sounded like he was coming back in the piece on LaRoque's resignation, so I'm assuming he's in Grand Rapids until we definitively hear otherwise.

My ten finalists, in no particular order:

Peterson (Grand Rapids)
Naas (Benilde)
Sheehy (Burnsville)
Spinner (Eden Prairie)
Yon (Roseau)
Brown (Hill-Murray)
Brown (Rogers)
Wolff (Eagan)
Beaulieu (Duluth East)
Snuggerud (Eden Prairie)

Austin, Slattery, and Cline could easily be rotated in here as well.

Seems like a AA-heavy field this year.

Nice list Karl. I think Peterson might be gone but the only other change I would make is to drop Snugs down and move Cline and Slattery up. Like the scouts, I am not that high on Slats as a long term prospectd (3rd Hill Murray kid drafted by USHL after Brown & Anderson) but to his credit he put up team leading 57 pts his first year at Hill and will likely be playing with Anderson & Brown, so I just think he's going to put up too many points to be left off the mid-season list.

The USHL draft was largely consistent with your list as a well though I think Yon (and Cline) went undrafted. Yon was an unsuccessful walk on at the Sioux Falls camp along with (W.Michaud). Just about everyone else on your list was drafted either this year or in prior drafts so that's a pretty good indicator. IMO....

BTW Karl, when can we expect your pre-pre-season Top 5 or Top 10.. Wondering if I should buy season tickets and hanging on your every post:)

-

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:16 pm

The Exiled One wrote:Sounds like it, but I wonder if this had an effect on his plans? If he comes back, I think he's the frontrunner.

Though it may change, there are currently no Gopher recruits in the mix this year. I wonder when the last time there were no Gopher recruits among the finalists?
It might; we'll have to see who lands the Rapids job. Peterson would definitely be the frontrunner if he stays. Without him, it should be wide open. Also, not that it really matters, but has Rapids ever lost a player early?

I sure can't remember a year without a Gopher recruit, but then, I'm not that old. :P
Granttenn wrote:BTW Karl, when can we expect your pre-pre-season Top 5 or Top 10.. Wondering if I should buy season tickets and hanging on your every post:)
:lol: Not until November...I do put some weight on Elite League and such, though maybe I'll drop a preview at some point in early fall...

Granttenn

Name

Post by Granttenn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:06 pm

One name I am surprised not to have seen so far is Gorowsky from Centennial. His Brother graduated and is playing in AK in the NAHL but the younger was the point leader last year, leading Centennial to state, and reportedly has a bit more potential. If I remember correctly he put up around 50pts in the regular season. [BTW Anyone else having trouble using the new MnHockeyhub.com to look up last years stats etc.. I can't get it to do much of anything]

-

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 am

The Exiled One wrote:I wonder when the last time there were no Gopher recruits among the finalists?
Never has happened. A few of the names being thrown around as a contender for next season's award are possibilities to commit there though.

There have been a few years where there was only one Gopher commit among the finalists (the finalist list was smaller).

Given the pace of top MN kids leaving HS hockey for USHL/BCHL/NTDP, etc., it won't be a surprise if it becomes a more common occurrence to have much less of a presence from the U recruits.

If we're to be honest, the award hasn't had the same luster in recent years when compared to years ago when pretty much all the top seniors stayed in HS hockey. The depth of competition for the award hasn't been quite as strong.

seek & destroy

Post by seek & destroy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:23 am

Gopher Blog wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:I wonder when the last time there were no Gopher recruits among the finalists?
Given the pace of top MN kids leaving HS hockey for USHL/BCHL/NTDP, etc., it won't be a surprise if it becomes a more common occurrence to have much less of a presence from the U recruits.

If we're to be honest, the award hasn't had the same luster in recent years when compared to years ago when pretty much all the top seniors stayed in HS hockey. The depth of competition for the award hasn't been quite as strong.

2009 Nick Leddy Eden Prairie D
2010 Nick Bjugstad Blaine C
2011 Kyle Rau Eden Prairie C
2012 Justin Kloos Lakeville South C
2013 Grant Besse Benilde-St. Margaret's F

Looking at the last five years it seems like the recent years have still had plenty of talent and luster to me.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:53 am

seek & destroy wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:

2009 Nick Leddy Eden Prairie D
2010 Nick Bjugstad Blaine C
2011 Kyle Rau Eden Prairie C
2012 Justin Kloos Lakeville South C
2013 Grant Besse Benilde-St. Margaret's F

Looking at the last five years it seems like the recent years have still had plenty of talent and luster to me.
If you read more carefully, I specifically mentioned the depth of candidates. Not the final winner. The candidate pool at the high end is not as deep as it once was when you consider how many more top players leave HS hockey prior to their senior year for destinations like the USHL, NTDP, etc. That didn't happen nearly as much 10+ years ago. The competition for the award was better than it is now because more top candidates stuck around. It is still great to win it but the less steep competition for the award has taken some of the luster away.

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Hasn't it been mathematically proven a few times now that there are NOT more kids leaving early than there were 5 or 10 years ago? Pretty sure that's the case, but it seems like the sky is falling every August.

Gems

Post by Gems » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
Never has happened. A few of the names being thrown around as a contender for next season's award are possibilities to commit there though.

There have been a few years where there was only one Gopher commit among the finalists (the finalist list was smaller).

If we're to be honest, the award hasn't had the same luster in recent years when compared to years ago when pretty much all the top seniors stayed in HS hockey. The DEPTH of competition for the award hasn't been quite as strong.

Disagree....Plenty of depth for this up coming season and will be interesting to see who steps up to be a front runner... :D

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Any new candidates based on Elite League performance? I think a bunch who've already been mentioned (Sheehy, Slattery, Naas, Spinner, Brown, Cline, Snuggerud) seemed to do just fine, but what do you think about Munson, Panvica, Lau, or Notermann?

I gotta say, Sheehy seems to be the guy to beat now, but his team's play will likely have an impact on his chances. Snuggerud seemed to separate himself from the other defensemen a bit too.

OneMoreYear

Post by OneMoreYear » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:20 am

The Exiled One wrote:Any new candidates based on Elite League performance? I think a bunch who've already been mentioned (Sheehy, Slattery, Naas, Spinner, Brown, Cline, Snuggerud) seemed to do just fine, but what do you think about Munson, Panvica, Lau, or Notermann?

I gotta say, Sheehy seems to be the guy to beat now, but his team's play will likely have an impact on his chances. Snuggerud seemed to separate himself from the other defensemen a bit too.
Won't be Sheehy if rumor from last night is true. Not at Team SE practice and won't play in Elite playoffs. Headed to play for U18 team this weekend and then to Waterloo and won't be coming back. Can anyone confirm this?