HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exitus of Gopher's Juniors to the Pros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> College Hockey Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodyShots

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Exitus of Gopher's Juniors to the Pros Reply with quote

Budish, Bjugstad, Haula, Alt, and Schmidt have all left for the pros with one season of eligibility remaining.

Is this a sign that they don't enjoy playing for the coaching staff, or is it the lure of the almighty $$$$$$, or maybe its just a sign that they are ready for the next level of play.

I could see the lure if you are going to be playing in the pros. But is this a wise decision if you are only going to the minor league affiliate?
The Exiled One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Exitus of Gopher's Juniors to the Pros Reply with quote

BodyShots wrote:
Budish, Bjugstad, Haula, Alt, and Schmidt have all left for the pros with one season of eligibility remaining.

Is this a sign that they don't enjoy playing for the coaching staff, or is it the lure of the almighty $$$$$$, or maybe its just a sign that they are ready for the next level of play.

I could see the lure if you are going to be playing in the pros. But is this a wise decision if you are only going to the minor league affiliate?

Budish graduated.
Bjugstad has already played in the NHL.

As for Haula, Alt, and Schmidt, you'd have to ask them. My guess would be that they weighed the money against the risk of a smaller offer or getting permanently injured next season (the money won). Also, it's not uncommon for college players to finish their degrees in the offseason (depending on the character of the player).
Tigers33

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmidt was a free agent, so thats a no brainer. What if he gets hurt next year or something...he was the obvious choice.

The wild were probably getting pressured in case of a finnish elite team signing Haula. Plus he got 1st round money, the max, as a 7th round draft pick. Thats tough to turn down as well. I dont think he is far off from the NHL. Not this year, but it wouldnt surprise me if he gets a taste next year.

Alt...I think the AHL will suit him better. He seemed clumsy, and not very aggressive on the big sheet of ice.
MNHockeyFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Exitus of Gopher's Juniors to the Pros Reply with quote

The Exiled One wrote:

Budish graduated.

I believe Zach graduates in May.
The Exiled One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Exitus of Gopher's Juniors to the Pros Reply with quote

MNHockeyFan wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:

Budish graduated.

I believe Zach graduates in May.

Sorry, that's what I meant. He had eligibility for next season, but he'd have been taking grad school classes. Coming back would've been a pretty silly move.
DrGaf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, this is a 2-year exodus in the making. With the strike shortened season, you weren't going to see many kids make that jump this last off-season.

I watched Bjudstad skate last night, he still looks big. Good for these guys, I hate seeing them go ... but good for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> College Hockey Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: