AA Seeding

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

AA Seeding

Post by YouthHockeyHub » Mon May 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Lets say you were in charge of how the AA seeding process was handled for regions next year...completely clean slate.

What say you?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue May 28, 2013 2:46 pm

I'd say that they should have figured it out before jacking up the whole system. With the old setup you had plenty of teams to have regionals in regions of the state that teams were actually from. :D

But we are told that we should be thrilled though that Johnson and Mpls were able to have state tournament experiences. :-({|=

Couldn't they have just played B-1 (Mpls) and B-2 (Johnson) in the old format and have accomplished the same thing?

Keep watching the necklace sway..... :shock:

YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub » Tue May 28, 2013 3:26 pm

This was a serious question...not some random hypothetical.

The tournament committee meets this week to assemble a system for their PeeWee AA and Bantam AA seeding process. If a suitable system can be agreed upon by that committee and then handed to MNH on Saturday, the seeding process for AA will be different.

How would you do it if you were King for a day?

Can't believe the only response I've gotten so far was from Bo (and his wasn't truly a response, no offense Bo).

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue May 28, 2013 4:01 pm

No offense, Tony, but I'm dead serious. You don't jump into something without thinking about it.

Our youth Hockey playoff structure is now SCREWED!

It's the reason you're getting zero responses. :P

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:41 pm

How about 3 regions of 4 Districts, each District gets 2 spots and if a District can not fill either 1 or 2 then the District with the larger number of teams get to add 1 more and if needed then the next District adds 1 more.
No more sending the number 4 or number 5 team from any District.

ahastars03

Post by ahastars03 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:13 pm

I think the issue is in the districts. If they changed the way they do districts for the AA teams it would solve the problems. Right now Wayzata and Maple Grove for example have nothing to play for all season long until regions. They both will get a bid every year without having to beat anyone and teams from D6 like EP, Minnetonka, or Prior Lake don't make it because only so many teams go from that district. If they realigned the "district" tourney then we could send the best 32 teams to regions. Say we create 4 "AA districts" that has 10 teams in each or how ever that would break down and they play a regular season schedule. The winner of the regular season and maybe second place as well get bids to regions. Then a tourney with those teams at the end of the year determine the next 6 teams that will move on to regions. Each "district" would send 8 teams and they would spread out across different regional tourneys. 1 and 8 would go to one region and 2 and 7 to another region. Each region would have 1 number 1 seed.

I don't see them creating AA districts different then what they currently have but I think it would solve some of the regular season issues with the AA formant as well.

If you don't like this idea then I say make it more like high school. Make 8 sections and have a section tourney and only one makes it to State from each section.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Wed May 29, 2013 8:13 am

MrBoDangles wrote:No offense, Tony, but I'm dead serious. You don't jump into something without thinking about it. :P
Unfortunately, they did think about it - for THREE YEARS! They obviously ran out of brain cells when they got to the region seeding discussion. If the objective is to get the best 32 teams at the AA region tourneys, then do away with the pre-determined seeding assignments. Wait unitl the districts are finished and have seeding meetings in each of the four regions. Do not allow the weakest team from D6 the easiest road to the state tournament. Do away with the chinese badminton scenarios of the past season.

observer

Post by observer » Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 am

If the objective is to get the best 32 teams at the AA region tourneys
It's not.

helightsthelamp

Post by helightsthelamp » Wed May 29, 2013 9:28 am

If I were king (really I am not already! :) )......

I would have playoffs follow the high school model, create sections for end of season tournament (determined at beginning of season based upon what teams designate AA), coaches do section seeding. Some Districts likely would not be in favor as it lessens the importance of a district tournament (see district 10), but would also create opportunity to eliminate when not really necessary (see district 3).

creating new districts just for AA would be a mess in my opinion.

The other upside of this format is it would encourage games against section opponents during the season that may not be in your district, but in your region.

The other format I would consider is a 32 team tournament. Top regular season district champion gets an auto bid to 32 team tournament. All other AA designated teams are ranked by independent party (YHH?) or coaches and play a single elimination tournament to achive a bid to the 32 team play down. Once all 32 teams are determined, all 32 are again ranked by YHH or coaches split into 4 regions balanced by ranking with top 2 teams advancing to state. While I do think their is some upside to this format, I would choose the aforementioned.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Wed May 29, 2013 11:25 am

observer wrote:
If the objective is to get the best 32 teams at the AA region tourneys
It's not.
Possibly not, but that's your opinion - others may not agree.

jpiehl

Post by jpiehl » Wed May 29, 2013 11:32 am

Bluewhitefan wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:No offense, Tony, but I'm dead serious. You don't jump into something without thinking about it. :P
Unfortunately, they did think about it - for THREE YEARS! They obviously ran out of brain cells when they got to the region seeding discussion. If the objective is to get the best 32 teams at the AA region tourneys, then do away with the pre-determined seeding assignments. Wait unitl the districts are finished and have seeding meetings in each of the four regions. Do not allow the weakest team from D6 the easiest road to the state tournament. Do away with the chinese badminton scenarios of the past season.
This really didn't turn out to be the problem that it was made out to be. Yes, some teams ended up going to the South regional that wouldn't have traditionally been there. But the only one that made it to state with that route was White Bear Lake at the Bantam AA level. The other Bantam AA and both PeeWee AA teams were from D5, which was assigned to the south regional for the 2012-2013 season.