Coaching Certification - Mites

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SCBlueLiner

Coaching Certification - Mites

Post by SCBlueLiner »

I have had many of my Mite coaches asking me recently about coaching certification. The questions center around if they are currently a Level 1 will they have to advance to the Level 2 class this season. I recall last season USAH allowed Mite coaches to stay at Level 1 with a completed Mite module. Has anybody heard if the requirement will be the same this season?

From the USAH website I found this: http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Coaching/ ... ements.pdf

It says pretty much what I am thinking, that Mite/U8 coaches only need the Level 1 and the Mite module. I don't know if this information is outdated though.
Blueliner16

Post by Blueliner16 »

They can be a level 1 but I think I was told you have to take a class every year regardless. I could be wrong though. If a level 2 is offered have them take it. Once they get to level 3 everything can be done online
Redarmy19

Post by Redarmy19 »

I don't think you need to take a class every year. As long as you have a Level 1 (even if it's expired) you can coach Mites...unless something changed from last year. My level 1 expired on 12/31/2012 and I didn't have to take a class or an online module to coach last year.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Blueliner16 wrote:They can be a level 1 but I think I was told you have to take a class every year regardless. I could be wrong though. If a level 2 is offered have them take it. Once they get to level 3 everything can be done online
The problem with this is if you have a parent coach start when their child is 6 yrs old by the time the child is 8 the parent is still coaching Mites yet taking their Level 3 class if they just advance on. It's pointless for a Mite coach to go to a Level 3 class because the material is not appropriate for the level they are coaching. I remember going to the Level 3 the year I was coaching Squirts & Pee Wees, the whole room was full of Mite coaches so we ended up skipping whole sections of the presentation, the more advanced sections that I was interested in.

Making them retake their Level 1 class each year is also a pointless waste of time. They need to figure out something that works for Mite coaches and make the barriers to getting coaches for these young age groups a little lower. I lost 3 or 4 coaches on Dec 31 last season because they didn't get their modules done. I know they should have just gotten them done but the bottom line is I was scrambling to get coaches for our 6 yr olds and begging the U8 coaches to come down and help out with that group. I appreciate what USA Hockey is trying to do to make sure there are knowledgable coaches but I need bodies on the ice to just help out the head Mite coach (who is a Level 4).
Redarmy19

Post by Redarmy19 »

SCBlueLiner wrote:
Blueliner16 wrote:They can be a level 1 but I think I was told you have to take a class every year regardless. I could be wrong though. If a level 2 is offered have them take it. Once they get to level 3 everything can be done online
The problem with this is if you have a parent coach start when their child is 6 yrs old by the time the child is 8 the parent is still coaching Mites yet taking their Level 3 class if they just advance on. It's pointless for a Mite coach to go to a Level 3 class because the material is not appropriate for the level they are coaching. I remember going to the Level 3 the year I was coaching Squirts & Pee Wees, the whole room was full of Mite coaches so we ended up skipping whole sections of the presentation, the more advanced sections that I was interested in.

Making them retake their Level 1 class each year is also a pointless waste of time. They need to figure out something that works for Mite coaches and make the barriers to getting coaches for these young age groups a little lower. I lost 3 or 4 coaches on Dec 31 last season because they didn't get their modules done. I know they should have just gotten them done but the bottom line is I was scrambling to get coaches for our 6 yr olds and begging the U8 coaches to come down and help out with that group. I appreciate what USA Hockey is trying to do to make sure there are knowledgable coaches but I need bodies on the ice to just help out the head Mite coach (who is a Level 4).

As long as you've taken Level 1 and the online module at least once, you can coach Mites forever. You don't need to do anything else after that one time.
Redarmy19

Post by Redarmy19 »

Taken from the USA Hockey website, FAQs:

MY LEVEL 1 IS EXPIRED or EXPIRING THIS DECEMBER, WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
You must attend a Level 2 clinic AND complete the online age-specific module for each age level you are coaching if not previously taken prior to December 31 of the current playing season. Mite (8 and Under) coaches may remain at Level 1 (even if it is expired) until they move to another age level of play.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Redarmy19 wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:

As long as you've taken Level 1 and the online module at least once, you can coach Mites forever. You don't need to do anything else after that one time.
Thanks! I did see that FAQ. The problem is I don't always trust the info on their website because some of it is dated.
saveforcollege

Post by saveforcollege »

Page 126 of the usa hockey guidebook. At the 8U / mite level you are fine even with an expired level 1 as long as you have taken the module. I would recommend holding off on the level 2 until you need it. Level 2 is good for 1 year as well. Level 3 is good for 2 years and can be extended on line twice allowing you to be a level 3 for 6 years. At this time you will need level 4 (unless you are still coaching mites). Don't start the clock too early or you will find yourself needing a level 4 by the time your kid reaches peewees. USA hockey does not want mite ony coaches filling up the level 2 and 3 classes when too many peewee / bantam coaches need those spots.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Speaking of Level 4, I need to get that taken care of in the next couple of years. Thinking about just getting it done and over and out of the way. There is a class in Duluth in Sept but don't feel like traveling to it. Is it regular to have Level 4 Clinics in MSP so I could wait until next year?
saveforcollege

Post by saveforcollege »

SCBlueLiner wrote:Speaking of Level 4, I need to get that taken care of in the next couple of years. Thinking about just getting it done and over and out of the way. There is a class in Duluth in Sept but don't feel like traveling to it. Is it regular to have Level 4 Clinics in MSP so I could wait until next year?
There was one last year. I would expect the cities to host another one next year since the way the have changed there cep is going to require more level 4's than under the old set up. If you have multiple kids playing you might never coach beyond squirts but may still require a level 4. That is why I recommend not starting a level 2 until you are out of mites and require the 2. No sense in starting that clock too early unless you aspire to a level 4 from the beginning.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

saveforcollege wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:Speaking of Level 4, I need to get that taken care of in the next couple of years. Thinking about just getting it done and over and out of the way. There is a class in Duluth in Sept but don't feel like traveling to it. Is it regular to have Level 4 Clinics in MSP so I could wait until next year?
There was one last year. I would expect the cities to host another one next year since the way the have changed there cep is going to require more level 4's than under the old set up. If you have multiple kids playing you might never coach beyond squirts but may still require a level 4. That is why I recommend not starting a level 2 until you are out of mites and require the 2. No sense in starting that clock too early unless you aspire to a level 4 from the beginning.
Thanks for the info!