All American Prospects Game

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

coach95

All American Prospects Game

Post by coach95 »

Congrats to these guys for getting picked for the game.
9 guys from Minny most guys from one state

Good luck!

Ryan Collins
Shane Gersich
Jack Glover
Jack Dougherty
Keegan Iverson
Jack Ramsey
Austin Poganski
Tyler Sheehy
Hunter Warner
seek & destroy

Re: All American Prospects Game

Post by seek & destroy »

coach95 wrote:Congrats to these guys for getting picked for the game.
9 guys from Minny most guys from one state

Good luck!

Ryan Collins
Shane Gersich
Jack Glover
Jack Dougherty
Keegan Iverson
Jack Ramsey
Austin Poganski
Tyler Sheehy
Hunter Warner
A little more detail about the event -

Roster Unveiled for 2013 CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game
By USAHockey.com

Pittsburgh's Consol Energy Center to Host 40 2014 NHL Draft-Eligible Players

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – USA Hockey announced today the 40 players who will skate in the second annual CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game, which will be held Sept. 26 at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Pa., home of the National Hockey League's Pittsburgh Penguins.

The game features 40 of the top American prospects eligible for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. Twenty-eight players appear on NHL Central Scouting's "Futures List," which highlights players that have potential to be selected in the first three rounds of the draft.

"This event has quickly grown into a great opportunity for America's best young players to showcase their skills at a national level," said Jim Johannson, USA Hockey's assistant executive director of hockey operations. "The Pittsburgh Penguins have been a terrific partner in putting on this game, which will feature the future stars of the NHL."

Players selected to compete in the CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game were chosen by USA Hockey in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting ... Thirteen states are represented on the roster. Minnesota leads the way with nine, while New York is second with five. California, Illinois and Michigan have four apiece. Other states include Colorado, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, New Hampshire, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

I don't really understand what Iverson has ever done to get the promotions he's gotten. Is it just because he's a big grinder, a third-line role-player guy that's a sure bet because of size and pugnacity?

He's got no numbers except PIMs in the dub.

Got nothing against him and best of luck to him. I just don't really get it.
bafata88

Post by bafata88 »

There clearly are Iverson detractors here; this is not the first time someone feels it necessary to rip the kid. And I don't know why. You really think he is third line grinder. He scored over 100 points as a bantam. You honestly think that if he stayed at Breck he would be third line grinder? He would be a man playing against boys. For goodness sakes, he was a 16 year old on one of the best CHL teams that was loaded with older players who will all likely get a shot at the NHL. His points will come when he gets the chance.

But then points are not all that important right; Lou Nanne gets the offer to play at the U and drafted by the Wild and he never scored that many points playing high school hockey. There are plenty of other players who get these opportunities who do not put up lots of points.

Bottom line, someone thinks Iverson has some proven talent and real potential. Portland does. USA hockey does. And now maybe some NHL scouts do too. Are you hurt because a kid who does not come from hockey royalty is able to make some headway in this sport on his own talent and hard work?
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

bafata88 wrote:There clearly are Iverson detractors here; this is not the first time someone feels it necessary to rip the kid. And I don't know why. You really think he is third line grinder. He scored over 100 points as a bantam. You honestly think that if he stayed at Breck he would be third line grinder? He would be a man playing against boys. For goodness sakes, he was a 16 year old on one of the best CHL teams that was loaded with older players who will all likely get a shot at the NHL. His points will come when he gets the chance.

But then points are not all that important right; Lou Nanne gets the offer to play at the U and drafted by the Wild and he never scored that many points playing high school hockey. There are plenty of other players who get these opportunities who do not put up lots of points.

Bottom line, someone thinks Iverson has some proven talent and real potential. Portland does. USA hockey does. And now maybe some NHL scouts do too. Are you hurt because a kid who does not come from hockey royalty is able to make some headway in this sport on his own talent and hard work?
I'm glad he has a defender here, though I'm hardly a detractor -- just interested in hearing what people think are his strong points. All the other players on this list have more garish stats and press coverage, but like you say stats are hardly the measure of a player. The fact that Iverson isn't "hockey royalty" makes it doubly interesting what it is that scouts see in him. Besides size. I think we can all agree that size is one of the least interesting and most obvious things at the top of a scout's list. And it may be the reason Iverson is the ONLY one out of this group that actually gets drafted and actually plays in the NHL.

You say important people see something in him, but I already knew that. I'm asking WHAT they see in him. Talent and hard work are not really answers. Hell, I'm all for an underdog. Just give me some ammunition here. He's a great skater? Strong on the puck? He's an able enforcer? He's got great hands? He's fast? Great vision?

I only saw him play two or three times at Breck and I remember him for, well, spending a significant amount of time in the sin bin.
bafata88

Post by bafata88 »

Shinbone_News wrote:
You say important people see something in him, but I already knew that. I'm asking WHAT they see in him. Talent and hard work are not really answers. Hell, I'm all for an underdog. Just give me some ammunition here. He's a great skater? Strong on the puck? He's an able enforcer? He's got great hands? He's fast? Great vision?

I only saw him play two or three times at Breck and I remember him for, well, spending a significant amount of time in the sin bin.
Good skater and getting better. Extremely strong on the puck. Clearly a physical force on the ice; he can hit like a ton of bricks. He has very good hands. Not the fastest on the ice but fast enough. Very good vision. He creates lots of opportunities for others and he can get the puck on the net.

Having had the opportunity to watch Iverson over the years, he has proven to always improve and master the next level. I think that when he gets more ice time he will likely flourish like he always has. Again, you may well see more gaudy point totals.
hockeyoldtimer

all american prospects players

Post by hockeyoldtimer »

I'm very surprised that Chase Phelps didn't make this team. From what I heard he did well at National camp and made the USA U18 team that went to Czechoslavakia. Any thoughts on this?
observer

Post by observer »

Keegan Iverson named #1 star of CCM All American Prospects game.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com ... ne-gersich

http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/s ... _id=752796

It looks like you can watch the whole game on the USA Hockey site.

http://www.allamericanprospectsgame.com ... ason=99564