Who's Not Returning 2013-2014

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:23 am

BUMP

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player            HS Team              New Team               College
Fr    F   Baron Thompson    Achiever Academy     Omaha-AAA
So    F   Jesse Gabriel     Eagan                Brandon-WHL
So    F   Jared Mickelson   St. Paul Academy     Omaha-AAA
Jr    F   Tyler Thompson    Achiever Academy     Omaha-AAA
Jr    F   Shane Gersich     Holy Family          NTDP                   North Dakota
Jr    F   David Brumm       Maple Grove          Omaha-AAA
Jr    F   Mike Sauer        Bemidji              Cleveland-AAA
Sr    F   Willie Brown      Hill-Murray          Topeka-NAHL
Sr    F   Calvin Spencer    Champlin Park        Seattle-WHL
Sr    F   Tommy Hall        St. Cloud Cathedral  Johnstown-NAHL
Sr    F   Tyler Sheehy      Burnsville           Waterloo-USHL
Sr    F   Drake Stimpson    Osseo                Tampa Bay-USPHL
Sr    F   Westin Michaud    Cloquet/Esko/Carlton Corpus Christi-NAHL
Sr    F   Jack Ramsey       Minnetonka           Penticton-BCHL         Minnesota
Sr    F   Karson Kuhlman    Cloquet              Dubuque-USHL           Minnesota-Duluth
Sr    F   Austin Poganski   St. Cloud Cathedral  Tri-City-USHL          North Dakota
Sr    F   Connor Hurley     Edina                Muskegon-USHL          Notre Dame
Jr    D   Justin Stein      Thief River Falls    Chicago-NA3HL
Jr    D   Hayden Shaw       Woodbury             Waterloo-USHL
Jr    D   Nick Heid         Spring Lake Park     Omaha-AAA
Sr    D   Mason Van Tuyl    Champlin Park        Rio Grande Valley-NAHL   
Sr    D   Matt Derby        Cambridge-Isanti     Twin City-NA3HL 
Sr    D   Cosimo Yapello    Mahtomedi            Yellowstone-AWHL
Sr    D   Michael Bigelbach Red Wing             Minot-NAHL
Sr    D   Matt Brettingen   St. Cloud Tech       Aberdeen-NAHL
Sr    D   Brandon Smith     Apple Valley         Gatineau-QMJHL
Sr    D   Logan Von Ruden   Northfield           MN Magicians-NAHL
Sr    D   Alex Fredberg     Irondale             MN Wilderness-NAHL
Sr    D   Hunter Warner     Eden Prairie         Waterloo-USHL          Minnesota State - Mankato
Sr    D   Teemu Kivihalme   Burnsville           Fargo-USHL             Colorado College
Sr    D   Jack Dougherty    St. Thomas           NTDP                   Wisconsin
Sr    D   Blake Hillman     Elk River            Dubuque-USHL
Sr    D   Neal Pionk        Hermantown           Sioux City-USHL        Minnesota-Duluth
Jr    G   Darion Hanson     St. Francis          Omaha-AAA
Jr    G   Jake Kielly       Eden Prairie         Victory Honda-AAA
Sr    G   Justin Ketola     Cloquet/Esko/Carlton Omaha-AAA
Sr    G   George McLeod     Cretin-Derham Hall   Tampa Bay-USPHL
Sr    G   Chase Perry       Andover              Wenatchee-NAHL
Last edited by The Exiled One on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:07 am, edited 17 times in total.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:46 am

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:01 pm

I see a couple more on the NA3HL rosters - Don't know if this a before and after thing. Not 100% sure..

http://alexandria.stats.pointstreak.com ... onid=11165

Travis Kothenbeutel - (JR) - Sauk Rapids - Granite City NA3HL
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_players/1980056

Spencer Nelson - (SR) - Monticello - Granite City
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_players/1956762

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:54 pm

SuperStar wrote:I see a couple more on the NA3HL rosters - Don't know if this a before and after thing. Not 100% sure..

http://alexandria.stats.pointstreak.com ... onid=11165

Travis Kothenbeutel - (JR) - Sauk Rapids - Granite City NA3HL
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_players/1980056

Spencer Nelson - (SR) - Monticello - Granite City
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_players/1956762
I added Stein because I find it difficult to believe that he'd do a before and after from Chicago. The other two could easily do a before and after, so we'll wait until further confirmation or the start of the MSHSL season before we add them to the list.

NLHockey

Post by NLHockey » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:18 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
SWPrez wrote:Looks like another goalie can be added to the list. One of BSM's goalies appears on the roster and has played several games for the Chicago Fury Midget Minor.

Jr G Peter Thome BSM Chicago Fury - AAA
According to MN Hockey Hub, Thome did not play varsity last season, so he won't be added to the list.

Thome should be on the list, IMHO. The topic is those not returning to MN HS hockey. I find it remarkable the number of young, talented players leaving MN for AAA teams that run 15000-$30000 to play for once travel is figured in, regardless of whether they only played Jr Varsity last year. it's still a loss of a MN high school player.

Also, Justin Ketola, Sr G (cloquet) - Omaha AAA

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:38 am

clojacks1

Post by clojacks1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:50 am

NLHockey wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
SWPrez wrote:Looks like another goalie can be added to the list. One of BSM's goalies appears on the roster and has played several games for the Chicago Fury Midget Minor.

According to MN Hockey Hub, Thome did not play varsity last season, so he won't be added to the list.

Thome should be on the list, IMHO. The topic is those not returning to MN HS hockey. I find it remarkable the number of young, talented players leaving MN for AAA teams that run 15000-$30000 to play for once travel is figured in, regardless of whether they only played Jr Varsity last year. it's still a loss of a MN high school player.

That makes 4 Cloquet players not returning for this year? Wow! It would be interesting to know if all of them were involved in the complaint filed against Esse last year.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:10 am

NLHockey wrote:Thome should be on the list, IMHO. The topic is those not returning to MN HS hockey. I find it remarkable the number of young, talented players leaving MN for AAA teams that run 15000-$30000 to play for once travel is figured in, regardless of whether they only played Jr Varsity last year. it's still a loss of a MN high school player.
Sorry, my list, my criteria. Varsity departures only.
NLHockey wrote:Also, Justin Ketola, Sr G (cloquet) - Omaha AAA
Ketola has been added.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:44 pm

clojacks1 wrote:
NLHockey wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:

That makes 4 Cloquet players not returning for this year? Wow! It would be interesting to know if all of them were involved in the complaint filed against Esse last year.
Well, three of them have the same dad/stepdad, so that should tell you something.

The fourth was on the record saying he wouldn't leave before all of this happened, though other things could easily have played a role.

Mnhockey9917

Post by Mnhockey9917 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Can they go back to High school hockey from AAA at any chance? Get back to me

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Mnhockey9917 wrote:Can they go back to High school hockey from AAA at any chance? Get back to me
Check your private messages.

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:31 am

TEO, it is your list and your thread but I think those kids who are leaving after only playing a year of JV should be added. In a lot of ways losing them is even scarier since if a kid is good enough to leave for juniors as an 11th grader he would be good enough (without other factors added in) to play varsity this year and next. Losing a SR to Juniors is bad because you are going to have problems this year, losing a Junior to Juniors is worse because you not only take a hit this year but you lose depth and next year's future potential. The other thing has to be those kids who are in that maybe I will maybe I won't category who see their buddies who are making the leap to Junior hockey have success. That will tilt those maybe players to lean going which means that high school hockey will start to lose them as 11th graders more and more. That is going to add to the number of kids who sit up and look around and say things like we are going to lose all of our top end players to juniors so there is really no reason to hang around since we are not going to be any good and are not going to go anyplace. I really do think that as the NA3HL league gets going. As more and more NAHL teams come into the state as well as the WHL, MNJHL (if they clean up some of those teams who have a terrible track record for crazy stuff), and those other leagues that are at those levels really get geared up and start taking players high school hockey is going to be picked clean. I think you will start a list in a few years entitled "who is staying" and the talk will be about what is wrong with player X, why can't he get a Junior team billet? What is wrong with him that he can't leave. High school hockey with it's 25 game season if you are lucky is done, this list is documenting the late beginning of the beginning of the end of it.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 am

This may be a dumb question, but where do the kids who go to teams like Omaha U16 live? Do they move to Omaha/wherever their U16 team is, and if so does their family move with them? Is it similar to USHL where many kids live with billets? Also, where do these kids go to high school when they leave for a AAA program?

Just a few questions that come to mind, and should be considered by any kid/family thinking about their path for hockey development.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Yea - It's basically the same set-up as other leagues like the USHL/NAHL. Billet Families, Local school, ect, ect..

oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:28 am

Hockey guy1486 wrote:Hey "Oldschoolpuckster".......what about Sheehy? I am the "dumb one"......look in the mirror or quit talking about every rumor you hear on the street. Out!

Sheehy's leaving......wierd!!! I wonder who saw that coming?? "Out!"

D6Rocks

Post by D6Rocks » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:43 am

Hockey guy1486 wrote:Well I talked to my 3rd cousin from Saskatchewan, who talked to Sheehy's Grandmas neighbor, who saw his 4th grade teacher's uncles hair stylest........they said he is staying!
I always knew you weren't very smart.

traveled

Post by traveled » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:26 pm

The two line teams are alive and well all over the northland. In small towns there is quite a bit more than that to contend with though. I have to agree with Wet Paint if a kid is good enough to make a Jr. team or sign without ever having to tryout or get drafted; then to successfully compete, why weren’t they skating Varsity. After all it is supposed to be about the game and the kids and not about the parents and last names. I also have to agree that Minnesota hockey will continue to hemorrhage top level players until parental coaching, last name recognition, and other influences are a thing of the past. As for the HP program?, coaches will tell you that the teams are mostly picked before tryouts. I doubt they are looking at JV. Elite league? If you are relegated to the third /fourth line or JV it would surprise me if you were invited to tryout. A coach can make or break a player period. A top level player doesn't have many options other than to leave if they find themselves out of favor... regardless the reason.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Word on street Dylan michaud back and going to play at Denfeld

clojacks1

Post by clojacks1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:41 am

Rocketwrister wrote:Word on street Dylan michaud back and going to play at Denfeld
How is that going to happen with the transfer rules?

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 am

clojacks1 wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:Word on street Dylan michaud back and going to play at Denfeld
How is that going to happen with the transfer rules?
His Twitter Page has a post asking Denfeld to hit him up, complete with cell phone number. Maybe parents are willing to move to Duluth????

Hockey North

Post by Hockey North » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Maybe because his UNCLE is the coach??? :shock:

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:23 am

Hockey North wrote:Maybe because his UNCLE is the coach??? :shock:
What question are you answering? What does that have to do with the transfer rules?

woodstick

Post by woodstick » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:34 am

The Exiled One wrote:

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player            HS Team              New Team             College

Sr    F   Aaron Herdt       Moorhead             Fargo-USHL

Anyone confirm if Herdt left the Force and is back at Moorhead for the season? Also heard some other players left/quit but source was ??

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Looks like he is still playing for the Steel as of last saturday, I assume he is staying with the Steel

Matt Derby from Cambridge...'96 D

http://na3hl.stats.pointstreak.com/play ... onid=11165

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/stats/team_i ... ool=599911[/quote]

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:30 pm

SuperStar wrote:Looks like he is still playing for the Steel as of last saturday, I assume he is staying with the Steel

Matt Derby from Cambridge...'96 D

http://na3hl.stats.pointstreak.com/play ... onid=11165

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/stats/team_i ... ool=599911
[/quote]

He left his hs to play in the na3hl ?!?! :shock:

Or am I missing something ?