MN Girls Hockey Hub

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MinnGirlsHockey

MN Girls Hockey Hub

Post by MinnGirlsHockey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:19 pm

It looks like there've been changes recently to the look & feel of the High School Hub sites. However, on the Girls Hockey Hub it doesn't seem to allow you to view team pages from previous seasons. I don't have this problem on the Boys Hockey Hub. Possibly the changes are still ongoing and info from previous seasons will be available in the near future? Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any insight on this.

lets be nice

Post by lets be nice » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:39 pm

Tim Morris is the person who could best explain this situation.

Its my understanding that the Star & Tribune is trying to control content and access to the girls hockey stats and the guys at NGIN are trying to help them.

If you want access to the girls hockey coaches website, where the coaches are trying to maintain control and access with the coaches and the high schools go to www.MGHCA.com In the past you were redirected to the MNgirlshockeyhub from here, but the coaches are questioning whether or not this is a good idea. The Star & Tribune people want you to pay a subscription to the paper for you to see your daughters stats and the stats from past seasons. They also want to control what articles are posted on the team pages. The coaches generally feel that access to the stats past, current and future should be free. The coaches also don't think its in the best interest of girls high school hockey to have the Star & Tribune post any article they choose on the web pages.

Please support Minnesota girls high school hockey by using www.MGHCA.com

mnprephubs

Post by mnprephubs » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:52 am

"The Star & Tribune people want you to pay a subscription to the paper for you to see your daughters stats and the stats from past seasons."

As an employee of Sport Ngin, the provider of both the MGHCA and Girls Hockey Hub sites, I can tell you that it is not even possible to require users to pay third-party subscriptions for stats on our sites, nor has it been discussed with us by the Star Tribune at this point. The Girls Hockey Hub will remain a free resource to the public with the most comprehensive statewide coverage of girls hockey in both stats and content.

If anyone has any more questions regarding the Girls Hockey Hub or the MGHCA, I urge you to email me directly at eric.ebert@sportngin.com.

Thanks,
Eric Ebert
National Media Manager
Sport Ngin

iceage

Post by iceage » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:02 am

mnprephubs wrote:"The Star & Tribune people want you to pay a subscription to the paper for you to see your daughters stats and the stats from past seasons."

As an employee of Sport Ngin, the provider of both the MGHCA and Girls Hockey Hub sites, I can tell you that it is not even possible to require users to pay third-party subscriptions for stats on our sites, nor has it been discussed with us by the Star Tribune at this point. The Girls Hockey Hub will remain a free resource to the public with the most comprehensive statewide coverage of girls hockey in both stats and content.

If anyone has any more questions regarding the Girls Hockey Hub or the MGHCA, I urge you to email me directly at eric.ebert@sportngin.com.
One thing I noticed between the two is that the MGHCA site does not have complete game schedules for a lot of the schools like the Girls Hockey Hub site does.

Thanks,

MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:46 pm

mnprephubs wrote:The Girls Hockey Hub will remain a free resource to the public with the most comprehensive statewide coverage of girls hockey in both stats and content.
Getting back to my original question, will team pages/info from previous seasons be viewable on mngirlshockeyhub.com in the near future? If not, can you explain why this was removed? The other MN prep sports hubs that I checked continue to retain information from previous seasons. Thanks.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:38 am

MinnGirlsHockey wrote:
mnprephubs wrote:The Girls Hockey Hub will remain a free resource to the public with the most comprehensive statewide coverage of girls hockey in both stats and content.
Getting back to my original question, will team pages/info from previous seasons be viewable on mngirlshockeyhub.com in the near future? If not, can you explain why this was removed? The other MN prep sports hubs that I checked continue to retain information from previous seasons. Thanks.
I have to believe it's just an oversight, since previous seasons are still there for the boys. If you can find David La Vaque's email - he covers prep sports for the Strib - it might be worth sending him an inquiry. In the meantime and until they get it fixed you can use the http://www.mghca.com/ site.

OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:12 pm

MinnGirlsHockey wrote:
Rather that repost your question here, why not contact Eric directly at the email above? He says to contact him with questions regarding the Girls Hockey Hub or the MGHCA.

MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:45 pm

OnFrozenPond wrote:
MinnGirlsHockey wrote:
Rather that repost your question here, why not contact Eric directly at the email above? He says to contact him with questions regarding the Girls Hockey Hub or the MGHCA.
Because I thought other users of this website would be interested in the answer (not just me) and didn't think the answer would be a big secret. But maybe I'm wrong and it is....

mnprephubs

Post by mnprephubs » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:42 am

Hey all,

The plan is to copy the stats, scores and standings from previous seasons and have the data migrated to the Girls Hockey Hub, however it is a long process that requires a great deal of planning so everything gets mapped correctly.

The reason the stats are unavailable is due to the process we had to use to separate the MGHCA site from the MN Girls Hockey Hub. All archived seasons are still available on the MGHCA site, but the idea is to move that data to the MN Girls Hockey Hub as well.

Hopefully that answers your question. If you have any more, feel free to post them here or email me directly. I'll continue to monitor this thread.

Thanks,
Eric Ebert
Eric Ebert
National Media Manager
Sport Ngin

Ram Hockey

Post by Ram Hockey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:48 pm

mnprephubs wrote:Hey all,

The plan is to copy the stats, scores and standings from previous seasons and have the data migrated to the Girls Hockey Hub, however it is a long process that requires a great deal of planning so everything gets mapped correctly.

The reason the stats are unavailable is due to the process we had to use to separate the MGHCA site from the MN Girls Hockey Hub. All archived seasons are still available on the MGHCA site, but the idea is to move that data to the MN Girls Hockey Hub as well.

Hopefully that answers your question. If you have any more, feel free to post them here or email me directly. I'll continue to monitor this thread.

Thanks,
Eric Ebert
Eric, So the MGHCA site will be eliminated? or just a mirrored image of the MN Girls Hockey Hub?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:56 am

mnprephubs wrote:The plan is to copy the stats, scores and standings from previous seasons and have the data migrated to the Girls Hockey Hub, however it is a long process that requires a great deal of planning so everything gets mapped correctl
Have noticed that there are still discrepancies in the schedules between the MGHCA site and the Star Tribune's Girls Hockey Hub. Until the discrepancies are resolved, which one of these should be regarded as official?

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 am

The answer, unfortunately, may very well be "neither".

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:47 am

sinbin wrote:The answer, unfortunately, may very well be "neither".
The MGHCA site shows Eden Prairie playing successive games at home against BSM (at 11:55am) and then Elk River (at 3:00pm) on Saturday. Probably just a coincidence, but I know that originally BSM was scheduled to scrimmage Shattuck St. Mary's on Saturday, but for some reason this got cancelled.

Meanwhile, the Hockey Hub is only showing the EP-Elk River game, which I have to assume is correct. But you may be right...may very well be neither! :roll:

leftwing

Post by leftwing » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:58 pm

As a former MN Girls Hockey Hub "page manager" for my daughter's high school team, let me say that I find this split ridiculous.

Once *again* you lack a *single* source of stats, photos, articles, etc. for high school girls hockey in Minnesota. It's hard enough getting and maintaining public interest in girl's hockey - but if people have to look in more than one place, they probably won't look at all. In addition, if team managers have to update or maintain *two* different team pages, how often are they likely to do updates? The overall look and feel of the team pages will again go downhill.

I can't see that this in in the best interest of the sport - and I'll bet there were some egos in the way of continuing what appeared to be a very successful partnership.

Now that we're beyond the reach of MGHCA, let me say that I found many of their decisions to be arbitrary and confused. They keep wanting to rebuff third party players in girl's hockey - and try to create their own little kingdoms (see: Junior Fest). The result is that they seem a day late and a dollar short in many of their decisions. I fail to see how this is in the best interest of the sport overall.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Agreed. Just use the hub and leave it that. Seems to work for the boys.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:12 pm

leftwing wrote:In addition, if team managers have to update or maintain *two* different team pages, how often are they likely to do updates?
The results for about a third of the games played yesterday (Tuesday) are still not posted on the MGHCA site. But with one exception the Hub has final scores and stats for all of the games. Pretty obvious who has the lead so far.

MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:13 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:But with one exception the Hub has final scores and stats for all of the games.
I'm not so sure about that, as far as the stats. I'm still seeing muliple games on the Hub with "No Player Data Available" - or only the goals/assists/PIM's are entered (so thus the goalie stats are really screwed up). Some examples are: SPU at Mahtomedi and St. Paul Blades at Spring Lake Park on 11/9, Blades at Simley on 11/12, I'm sure there are more....hopefully at least the final scores are accurate.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:20 pm

MinnGirlsHockey wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:But with one exception the Hub has final scores and stats for all of the games.
I'm not so sure about that, as far as the stats. I'm still seeing muliple games on the Hub with "No Player Data Available" - or only the goals/assists/PIM's are entered (so thus the goalie stats are really screwed up). Some examples are: SPU at Mahtomedi and St. Paul Blades at Spring Lake Park on 11/9, Blades at Simley on 11/12, I'm sure there are more....hopefully at least the final scores are accurate.
Yes you are right the Hub is not perfect either but it is a lot more up-to-date than MGHCA. In your three examples I do see that the scoring for the Blades at Simley game is now posted, but as you point out the shots (and thus goalie stats) have not been posted. I can only assume that this was an ovesight (mistake) on the part of whoever entered the information. For your first two games whoever for the home team never entered any data, other than the final score. Hopefully the score sheets are available and the missing information can still be provided to the Hub.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Seems some entrepreneurial hockey mind could take the best from both sites and create a "supeer-site" that is up-to-date, accurate, and complete.

hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:03 pm

sinbin wrote:Seems some entrepreneurial hockey mind could take the best from both sites and create a "supeer-site" that is up-to-date, accurate, and complete.
Dear lord, not a third site... I'm sick of dealing with 2 already this year.

What is the pissing match over? Anyone know?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:14 pm

hockeyfan21 wrote:
sinbin wrote:Seems some entrepreneurial hockey mind could take the best from both sites and create a "supeer-site" that is up-to-date, accurate, and complete.
Dear lord, not a third site... I'm sick of dealing with 2 already this year.

You are not alone! ;)
hockeyfan21 wrote:What is the pissing match over? Anyone know?
I was wondering the same thing. What exactly led to the MGHCA deciding to create their own site when the Strib's Hub seemed to be perfectly adequate?

FishEye

Post by FishEye » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Maybe look at the person or people who are behind the MGHCA website, and dig into what they are into and really about. You might be surprised.

SECoach

Post by SECoach » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:22 pm

FishEye wrote:Maybe look at the person or people who are behind the MGHCA website, and dig into what they are into and really about. You might be surprised.
One of the more cowardly posts I've seen on this site. What ya got Superstar?

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Not sure of the p*** match, just trying to stay well clear of the splatter, but it does seem that with a little elbow grease, someone in this area could do a quality job. Maybe it's just a matter of time and resources, or did the people running these get pulled to work on the Obamacare website? That would explain some things.

SECoach

Post by SECoach » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Both of these sites rely on someone to enter the information. In some cases the person responsible for that knows what they are doing. In many cases they don't. If they do know what they are doing, they are relying on a score sheet that may have been prepared by someone that knows what they are doing, and in many cases they don't. It might be the father of a goalie responsible for keeping or entering the stats. It might be someone the rink attendant found available in the parking lot that night. It might be a coach that doesn't give a crap. Bottom line is this is not the NHL and getting stats recorded correctly, and then posted on either one of these sights is a crap shoot at best. There are not professionals hired to do this. How about we get over it and realize that the assist your daughter did not get credit for will not make or break her career. You worrying about it may in fact make her career suck! Who won, who lost, pretty much sums it up. If that's what you are into, you either did, or you didn't. I see in one game tonight that neither goalie had a save. Tough night I guess. This is not the problem of the site administrators, it is the problem of those that are responsible for keeping and entering stats. Good luck with that!

I wish there was a volleyball site, so I could read the arguments about who gets the kills recorded correctly and who doesn't.

The dispute over where stats should be entered? Look at the one that makes you feel the best. That's all we are looking for anyway isn't it?