Section 3A (2013-2014)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

Well I'll eat my crow for the Minnehaha and new ulm game. Was anyone at that game?
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

Luverne 12
Morris/Benson 1
Can't skate

Post by Can't skate »

Wilmar 3-1 over Marshall. A lot closer than expected.
Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 »

MrGoalieBoy wrote:Well I'll eat my crow for the Minnehaha and new ulm game. Was anyone at that game?
No need to eat crow. It was your opinion. Nothing wrong with that.
Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 »

Hutch is playing better tonight. Up 2 to 0 after the first and out shooting Chaska 19 to 4.
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

Iranger33 wrote:Hutch is playing better tonight. Up 2 to 0 after the first and out shooting Chaska 19 to 4.
Wow! Chaska must really be down this year! :lol:

J/Kidding... Trout made me do it! :D
Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 »

fastncrash wrote:
Iranger33 wrote:Hutch is playing better tonight. Up 2 to 0 after the first and out shooting Chaska 19 to 4.

That's ok. End of 2nd hutch up 3 to 1 and out shooting them 29 to 14. Chaska with 1 scoring chance.
Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 »

Hutch won 4 to 1 out shooting them 36 to 16
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

fastncrash wrote:

Wwtd. What would trout do?

Chaskas down. The bus ride from the cities impacted minnehaha on Friday.

And Marshall is ready to explode.

Haha. Jk everyone. happy holidays.
hockeyfan26

Post by hockeyfan26 »

My opinion on the rankings after Saturdays games:

1. Luverne
Has taken care of their opponents pretty easy for the most part so far. Lots of offensive firepower with Nelson, Smed, and Norman. You don't want to get into penalty trouble against the Cardinals as they are posting a 46.7% clip with the man advantage. Pretty dominant and an obvious #1 for me.

2. Willmar
Could easily be the team to beat after giving Alex a run for their money. They are going to play a defensive game so I think the game against Luverne could be very interesting, more than likely deciding who gets the top seed come playoff time.

3. New Ulm
A team that can find scoring from a lot of different places. With the lack of defenseman they cant be as aggressive in the offensive end as they want to be. The loss to St. Peter (although not a section opponent) really hurts them, but were luckily able to steal one from hutch.

4. Hutch
Would have the potential to be a top 20 team in class A if they had a goalie. They showed it against New Ulm outshooting them 51-17. If they can get a younger goalie to step up down the road they could easily be a top 2 seed.

5. Marshall
Played a close one with Willmar 3-1. And are looking to be a more lockdown defensive team with their lack of offensive talent. Has plenty of time to make their case for a higher seed especially with possibly the best goalie in the section.

6. Litchfield
Pretty much a 5b at this point. Only real reason they are maybe a little behind Marshall is because they have the better goalie.

The Rest
7. Windom
8. Worthington
9. Morris/Benson
10. Redwood Valley
11. Fairmont
Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 »

fastncrash wrote:

Chaska is down this year, not a very strong team. I felt that Hutch could have put a few more pucks in the net.
casualobserver

Post by casualobserver »

Chaska down????
They beat Delano and Orono so far this year.
Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 »

casualobserver wrote:Chaska down????
They beat Delano and Orono so far this year.
That was Chanhassen. I guess the casual fits.
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

While Willmar was in charge last night they had trouble finding the back of the net. they were hitting the pipes, exciting but no cigar. i imagine tollefson was upset. Marshall seems to have given up on trying to score. Marshall did do a great job of eliminating scoring opportunities.
casualobserver

Post by casualobserver »

My mistake, but I think we both are referring to St. Louis Park, who Chaska beat.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Greetings Section 3A Followers,
Another week has past and I think we are getting a clear picture of Section 3A

Section 3A Rankings as of (12/15/13)
1. Willmar (4-1-0)
2. Luverne (7-0-0)
3. New Ulm Area (3-3-0)
4. Hutchinson (3-1-0)
5. Marshall (3-4-0)
6. LDC (4-3-0)
7. Windom (3-4-0)
8. Worthington (1-6-0)
9. Morris Benson (0-7-0)
10. Fairmont (0-4-0)
11. Redwood Valley (0-5-0)

Decided this week to try and look at teams and also look at the future as we get near a new year ourselves with 2014 right around the corner.

TOP FOUR
Willmar-
This is the year that Willmar needs to cash in to get to the X. They have 13 seniors that are led by the coach’s son Trey Tollefson. This group proved they are for real by playing a Top 20 program in Class A Alexandria right down to the wire. They play a strong defensive game that makes them a match up nightmare for New Ulm and Luverne. But they lack scoring making them upset bait as proved by how close Marshall played them this weekend. In the Playoffs Willmar have two things working for them Strong Senior Leadership and Great Coaching. Willmar right now is the front-runner. They are in a WIN THIS YEAR mode…. Take a look at their youth and it is not pretty playing a B only schedule and are middle of the pack. Losing 13 seniors and not brining much up next year Willmar has to cash in THIS YEAR!

Luverne- Has taken care of business so far this season they have a nice group of seniors lead by Norman, Olson and Meyer. They have the top Dman in the Section in Sengvongxay and have the most exciting dynamic duo in Southern MN in the youngsters Smedsrud (10th Grade) & Nelson (8th Grade). Thing about Luverne is that I have been told the best teams are still coming. Their A Bantams & A Pee Wees each lead their District leagues. With the Dynamic Duo and great youth talent coming up Luverne could be a force for the next few years…. If they all stick around …..Also hear the WHL has had scouts sniffing around the 8th grader if he bolts early which seems LIKELY then that would be a severe blow to their building a serious contender over the next few years.

New Ulm Area- Have two extremely important Seniors in Kraus & Davis. Kraus proved this week that he can be a difference maker in the net. Also Davis along with an extremely deep and talented Junior class led by Peterson and Helget the Eagles are a very tough team. They proved in going to Hutch and beating them they are a serious contender this year. They will have next year where they will be considered the favorite and then after that looking at the youth they will go through some rough years. Not bad but not up to what we usually expect from New Ulm over the years. Next year they will be entering the Big South Conference it will be very interesting to see how that shift will impact their schedule. Also there have been rumblings that Sleepy Eye is not happy and may spilt if that happens New Ulm will become average. Many of their top players are actually Sleepy Eye kids.

Hutchinson- NEEDS a goaltender or they are going to have a tough go of it this season especially in the Wright County Conference. Delano, Orono, Mound Westonka and Holy Family will really expose that problem. They have great depth up front and talent on the D end but they need to play more disciplined in their end. They have the most pure talent on their roster. They are BIG FAST and STRONG. But goaltending means a lot and they have to get that figured out. Hutch still has Willmar and Luverne left on their schedule I still see them as a 2 or 3 seed when all the games are actually played. They had a great group of Bantams last year and this year their youth has been ore average so Hutch is in a win now mode for the next three years.

MIDDLE OF THE PACK (Spoilers!!)
Marshall and LDC both lack pieces at this moment to be considered serious contenders at the moment.

LDC lack defenseman they have a very strong sophomore class though. They will go through some growing pains during the year and by playoffs they will be dangerous if not they will be back in the thick of it for sure next year. They have WAHL in the nets and he can steal a game come playoff time.

Marshall on the other hand will play great defense and will only get better as the year goes along. However, they really lack a true scoring threat up front. They still have Campion and he can win games by himself as he proved last year. But they need to find a scoring threat or they will be hurting. Next year they will struggle as they will have a huge hole to fill in the net but their A Bantams have shown signs of life beating teams like New Ulm and Hutch so Marshall is not going to disappear anytime soon. But the lack of a goal scorer could hurt them but again with Campion they are good for an upset or 2 come playoffs.

The Rest
Windom-
Has nice forwards but really have struggled with the dman and their goaltending has been a disaster so far this season.

Worthington- Have been actually fairly competitive this year but with only 10 skaters on the roster they struggle in depth and just don’t have enough stamina to stay with the top end programs.

Morris Benson- Over the weekend they got beat 12-1 by Red Lake Falls and 12-1 by Luverne…. Their goaltending depth and overall talent is way down. They are going through a full rebuild mode right now. I don’t see them contending this year or in the near future at this time.

Fairmont- They play hard and they pay clean hockey they just lack talent right now. Their youth is ugly as they struggle at the B level I feel bad this program just doesn’t seem to have anything that point to them becoming competitive at any time in the near future.

Redwood Valley- Playing all Freshman and Sophomores this season. Will take their lumps this season but in two years they will be contending again. They have a bright future but right now they are just overmatched night and night out.
[/b]
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Greetings Section 3A Followers,

Section 3A Rankings as of (12/15/13)
1. Willmar (4-1-0)
2. Luverne (7-0-0)
3. New Ulm Area (3-3-0)
4. Hutchinson (3-1-0)
5. Marshall (3-4-0)
6. LDC (4-3-0)
7. Windom (3-4-0)
8. Worthington (1-6-0)
9. Morris Benson (0-7-0)
10. Fairmont (0-4-0)
11. Redwood Valley (0-5-0)

Decided this week to try and look at teams and also look at the future as we get near a new year ourselves with 2014 right around the corner.

TOP FOUR
Willmar-
This is the year that Willmar needs to cash in to get to the X. They have 13 seniors that are led by the coach’s son Trey Tollefson. This group proved they are for real by playing a Top 20 program in Class A Alexandria right down to the wire. They play a strong defensive game that makes them a match up nightmare for New Ulm and Luverne. But they lack scoring making them upset bait as proved by how close Marshall played them this weekend. In the Playoffs Willmar have two things working for them Strong Senior Leadership and Great Coaching. Willmar right now is the front-runner. They are in a WIN THIS YEAR mode…. Take a look at their youth and it is not pretty playing a B only schedule and are middle of the pack. Losing 13 seniors and not brining much up next year Willmar has to cash in THIS YEAR!

Luverne- Has taken care of business so far this season they have a nice group of seniors lead by Norman, Olson and Meyer. They have the top Dman in the Section in Sengvongxay and have the most exciting dynamic duo in Southern MN in the youngsters Smedsrud (10th Grade) & Nelson (8th Grade). Thing about Luverne is that I have been told the best teams are still coming. Their A Bantams & A Pee Wees each lead their District leagues. With the Dynamic Duo and great youth talent coming up Luverne could be a force for the next few years…. If they all stick around …..Also hear the WHL has had scouts sniffing around the 8th grader if he bolts early which seems LIKELY then that would be a severe blow to their building a serious contender over the next few years.

New Ulm Area- Have two extremely important Seniors in Kraus & Davis. Kraus proved this week that he can be a difference maker in the net. Also Davis along with an extremely deep and talented Junior class led by Peterson and Helget the Eagles are a very tough team. They proved in going to Hutch and beating them they are a serious contender this year. They will have next year where they will be considered the favorite and then after that looking at the youth they will go through some rough years. Not bad but not up to what we usually expect from New Ulm over the years. Next year they will be entering the Big South Conference it will be very interesting to see how that shift will impact their schedule. Also there have been rumblings that Sleepy Eye is not happy and may spilt if that happens New Ulm will become average. Many of their top players are actually Sleepy Eye kids.

Hutchinson- NEEDS a goaltender or they are going to have a tough go of it this season especially in the Wright County Conference. Delano, Orono, Mound Westonka and Holy Family will really expose that problem. They have great depth up front and talent on the D end but they need to play more disciplined in their end. They have the most pure talent on their roster. They are BIG FAST and STRONG. But goaltending means a lot and they have to get that figured out. Hutch still has Willmar and Luverne left on their schedule I still see them as a 2 or 3 seed when all the games are actually played. They had a great group of Bantams last year and this year their youth has been ore average so Hutch is in a win now mode for the next three years.

MIDDLE OF THE PACK (Spoilers!!)
Marshall and LDC both lack pieces at this moment to be considered serious contenders at the moment.

LDC lack defenseman they have a very strong sophomore class though. They will go through some growing pains during the year and by playoffs they will be dangerous if not they will be back in the thick of it for sure next year. They have WAHL in the nets and he can steal a game come playoff time.

Marshall on the other hand will play great defense and will only get better as the year goes along. However, they really lack a true scoring threat up front. They still have Campion and he can win games by himself as he proved last year. But they need to find a scoring threat or they will be hurting. Next year they will struggle as they will have a huge hole to fill in the net but their A Bantams have shown signs of life beating teams like New Ulm and Hutch so Marshall is not going to disappear anytime soon. But the lack of a goal scorer could hurt them but again with Campion they are good for an upset or 2 come playoffs.

The Rest
Windom-
Has nice forwards but really have struggled with the dman and their goaltending has been a disaster so far this season.

Worthington- Have been actually fairly competitive this year but with only 10 skaters on the roster they struggle in depth and just don’t have enough stamina to stay with the top end programs.

Morris Benson- Over the weekend they got beat 12-1 by Red Lake Falls and 12-1 by Luverne…. Their goaltending depth and overall talent is way down. They are going through a full rebuild mode right now. I don’t see them contending this year or in the near future at this time.

Fairmont- They play hard and they pay clean hockey they just lack talent right now. Their youth is ugly as they struggle at the B level I feel bad this program just doesn’t seem to have anything that point to them becoming competitive at any time in the near future.

Redwood Valley- Playing all Freshman and Sophomores this season. Will take their lumps this season but in two years they will be contending again. They have a bright future but right now they are just overmatched night and night out.
[/b]
Nice Post 3A. If they were all this impartial and unbiased everyone would really appreciate it. Keep it up.
Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 »

[/b]
Well I will disagree with you on this. And you even make reference to it a few times. What hutch really needs to get far into the playoffs is D zone coverage, and stop leaving their goaltenders high and dry.

I challenge you to actually watch a game and break down all goals for both teams. The lightbulb may go on.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Iranger33 wrote:

[/b]
Well I will disagree with you on this. And you even make reference to it a few times. What hutch really needs to get far into the playoffs is D zone coverage, and stop leaving their goaltenders high and dry.

I challenge you to actually watch a game and break down all goals for both teams. The lightbulb may go on.
If they only allowed 1 scoring chance last night, how much better could they do?
Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 »

InigoMontoya wrote:
Iranger33 wrote:

[/b]

If they only allowed 1 scoring chance last night, how much better could they do?
They played well on Saturday and need to keep playing like that.
gopherfan7

Post by gopherfan7 »

Iranger33 wrote:

[/b]

looks like we've got the goalies dad on our hands. I have watched three of the hutch games (minus the marshall game) and after watching these, the sophomore Nelson looked much much better than Allan. More sound fundamentally and controls his rebounds a lot better.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Nothing against goalie dads (some of my best friends are goalie dads), but they see a completely different game than the rest of us watch. 17 shots is a total defensive breakdown that allows 5 goals, on which the goalie had no chance. The next week the same group of kids allow 15 shots, and you can't believe how much better the defense was, the goalie only really needed to make one save, the rest just trickled in on him from the blue line.
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

Predictions for tonight? I think Hutch will get beat by Orono, Litchfield beat by Mound-Westonka, and Luverne should take care of Windom fairly easy.
wooshlager

Post by wooshlager »

3A takes one on the chin tonight.

Orono- 11
Hutch - 0

Via followthepuck twitter
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

Sauk Rapids-Rice scores in final 10 seconds to beat Willmar tonight 6-5.