Best coach in the state?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Slammer

Best coach in the state?

Post by Slammer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm curious on people's opinions about who is the best coach (regardless of class) in the state. I'm not very knowledgable on any coaches that are not in Duluth, so I'm just curious on people's thoughts. I know Randolph is up there, but who do you guys think is THE best coach?
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Without a doubt, its got to be Sager.... :oops:

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Matt Lais. Assistant Coach. Luverne MN :D

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Giles :?:

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Eric Johnson-Minnetonka

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Shot Gunderson

Whatsamatta U

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:48 am

Duluth East has not had a losing season in the history of their program.

greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:01 am

Esse of Cloquet. Less resources and talent but always gets the most out of his players. Cloquet always seems to overachieve. Although Randolph is good, a couple of his teams have underachieved.

pitbull

Post by pitbull » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:50 am

mulefarm wrote:Eric Johnson-Minnetonka
I do think EJ has got it going over there.

curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:30 am

Lechner. Not just a great coach, but a great man and roll model for his players and others in the coaching world.

Bruce Plante would get my vote for Class A. Same qualities as Lechner.

Randolph and Esse are also in the conversation on the AA level.

Tony Couture (Little Falls) and Eric Johnson (Cathedral) are both underrated coaches in Class A .

bauerman

top coaches

Post by bauerman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:07 am

All those coaches are good coaches however I can not understand how Tom Vannelli is never mentioned in a question like this . I know there are a lot of STA haters but Tom always puts forth a very well coached team that adjusts to the strengths of the lineup from year to year. Does he have good talent? Of cousre but so do Lechner, Giles and Randoulph

SiouxCityMayor

Post by SiouxCityMayor » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:19 am

[quote="HShockeywatcher"]Duluth East has not had a losing season in the history of their program.[/quote]

That's a pretty strong indication of a good coaching staff!

SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:41 am

what determines a good coach? some coaches are unable to make adjustments to affect (improve) teams play. I have seen to often their definition of an adjustment is to shorten the bench. ??? do they shorten the bench when thier more experienced or top players make the mistakes. Are your coachres able to come up with a differnt forcheck, or breakout sceem that can change the pace of a game? to often we see coaches do the same thing expecting different results?
also to often we base coaches based on win's and losses. Hell some of these programs due to the numbers and youth system in place my grandma could coach and have similar results. Kudo's to those coaches that can give these kids a great learning, self respected invironment that can benefit them for life. if they enjoy it, they'll be good at it.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:43 am

Lechner

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 am

OMG can we please not talk about short benching anymore.

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:58 am

Tony Sarsland. Best old school coach ever..

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:06 am

SimplyPut wrote:what determines a good coach? some coaches are unable to make adjustments to affect (improve) teams play. I have seen to often their definition of an adjustment is to shorten the bench. ??? do they shorten the bench when thier more experienced or top players make the mistakes. Are your coachres able to come up with a differnt forcheck, or breakout sceem that can change the pace of a game? to often we see coaches do the same thing expecting different results?
also to often we base coaches based on win's and losses. Hell some of these programs due to the numbers and youth system in place my grandma could coach and have similar results. Kudo's to those coaches that can give these kids a great learning, self respected invironment that can benefit them for life. if they enjoy it, they'll be good at it.
Waaaaaaaay too many spelling mistakes for me to fix...

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:08 am

bardown27 wrote:
SimplyPut wrote:what determines a good coach? some coaches are unable to make adjustments to affect (improve) teams play. I have seen to often their definition of an adjustment is to shorten the bench. ??? do they shorten the bench when thier more experienced or top players make the mistakes. Are your coachres able to come up with a differnt forcheck, or breakout sceem that can change the pace of a game? to often we see coaches do the same thing expecting different results?
Waaaaaaaay too many grammar mistakes for me to fix...
Agreed, but you have to admit - "sceem" - best typo ever.

bauerman

top coaches

Post by bauerman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:12 am

what was Lechners record at Stillwater?

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:08 pm

SiouxCityMayor wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:Duluth East has not had a losing season in the history of their program.
Except what HSHW says isn't correct. East has had a few losing seasons. In the 50's. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Sats81

Re: top coaches

Post by Sats81 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:11 pm

bauerman wrote:what was Lechners record at Stillwater?
Similar to Mike Grants at Forest Lake before he went to EP. Really irrelevant though. Can't argue with success he has had, regardless if players are "recruited" or not.

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 pm

I have been a proud HM alum for many, many years and have personally played for/known their hockey coaches over this time. All these coaches have experienced success primarily because of the constant talent that comes thru the door at Hill. When the Lex retires, I believe the next coach will experience success as well. The tradition will continue.

I do find it amuzing to hear the difference of perception of Lechner from those inside the HM inner cirlce and those outside. People on the outside see a humble guy who says/does all the right things and those on the inside know that is not always the case. I think people forget, Lechner did not make Hill Murray, but rather, Hill Murray made Lechner. Had he stayed at Stillwater, I suspect people would have a different opinion of him.

Lex is a good coach who annualy has above average talent. To his credit, he has been able to guide those teams to success. But with that, he has also benefitted in many ways, one of which, is his reputation.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Plante always seems to do a good job.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:37 pm

east hockey wrote:
SiouxCityMayor wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:Duluth East has not had a losing season in the history of their program.
Except what HSHW says isn't correct. East has had a few losing seasons. In the 50's. :mrgreen:

Lee
In REGION 7 they could never beat the Broncos.
Once in a a while they would pull an upset in Region 3 and beat the Section 8 loser.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Pioneerprideguy wrote:I have been a proud HM alum for many, many years and have personally played for/known their hockey coaches over this time. All these coaches have experienced success primarily because of the constant talent that comes thru the door at Hill. When the Lex retires, I believe the next coach will experience success as well. The tradition will continue.

I do find it amuzing to hear the difference of perception of Lechner from those inside the HM inner cirlce and those outside. People on the outside see a humble guy who says/does all the right things and those on the inside know that is not always the case. I think people forget, Lechner did not make Hill Murray, but rather, Hill Murray made Lechner. Had he stayed at Stillwater, I suspect people would have a different opinion of him.

Lex is a good coach who annualy has above average talent. To his credit, he has been able to guide those teams to success. But with that, he has also benefitted in many ways, one of which, is his reputation.
I am not a private school guy by any stretch.

But Hill has always been one of my favorite programs at least from the days of Dave Langevin.

I believe the program is Hill, all those that get to be involved benefit from it.
Last edited by elliott70 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.