combined associations

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Flin Flon

combined associations

Post by Flin Flon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:58 pm

I've always been curious as to why teams like OMG and Chaska Chanhassen combine teams at youth level and seperate when it comes to HS Teams..both seem to have a large number of kids at all levels

jg2112

Re: combined associations

Post by jg2112 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:16 pm

Flin Flon wrote:I've always been curious as to why teams like OMG and Chaska Chanhassen combine teams at youth level and seperate when it comes to HS Teams..both seem to have a large number of kids at all levels
It's probably for financial and demographic considerations. If, say, Osseo has a small 2002 population, MG can cover for that. Plus, MG overall gets the benefit of using another sheet or two of ice in Osseo.

wingnuts

combined associations

Post by wingnuts » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:53 am

I for one think its time again to raise the debate about combining programs in Bloomington - The girls H.S. program did it this season. Why not the boys?

Redarmy19

Post by Redarmy19 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:41 am

wingnuts wrote:I for one think its time again to raise the debate about combining programs in Bloomington - The girls H.S. program did it this season. Why not the boys?
Kennedy youth is combined with Richfield this year. The message I get from Kennedy parents is that Jefferson is above combining with them....that's Kennedy's feeling anyway. In looking at the Jefferson youth program, I think it's highly advisable that they do combine.

kopernicus

Post by kopernicus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:27 am

wingnuts wrote:I for one think its time again to raise the debate about combining programs in Bloomington - The girls H.S. program did it this season. Why not the boys?
There is too much pride in East Bloomington to let it go right now. These families are the skaters and students that were a part of a terrific late eighties hockey run.

Soon, their children will graduate from Kennedy HS and perhaps then it may be time to talk about combining youth associations for the talent development benefit of the HS programs.

There is nothing wrong with either program except for the fact both need more mites to enroll each year.

Flin Flon

Post by Flin Flon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:38 am

jg2112 wrote:
Flin Flon wrote:I've always been curious as to why teams like OMG and Chaska Chanhassen combine teams at youth level and seperate when it comes to HS Teams..both seem to have a large number of kids at all levels
It's probably for financial and demographic considerations. If, say, Osseo has a small 2002 population, MG can cover for that. Plus, MG overall gets the benefit of using another sheet or two of ice in Osseo.
small population? They have it looks like a minimum of 80-90 kids per age group

Weakside-Bardown

Post by Weakside-Bardown » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:21 pm

From what I have heard, the Osseo High School side of OMG is extremely small and would not be competitive, or possibly even sustainable, on its own. If I recall correctly, I believe it was something like more than 80% of the OMG players live within the Maple Grove High School boundaries. That appears to be supported by the strength of the respective high school programs.

lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Do you mean the Chaska - Chanhassen - Victoria - Carver - East union hockey association? My buddy told me its a joke. They feed three high schools every year. Chanhassen - Chaska - Holy Family.

the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:14 am

Weakside-Bardown wrote:From what I have heard, the Osseo High School side of OMG is extremely small and would not be competitive, or possibly even sustainable, on its own. If I recall correctly, I believe it was something like more than 80% of the OMG players live within the Maple Grove High School boundaries. That appears to be supported by the strength of the respective high school programs.
So why not have Osseo join with another association...say, North Metro. Maple Grove doesn't need Osseo--Osseo needs Maple Grove--or someone else.

lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:59 pm

the_juiceman wrote:
Weakside-Bardown wrote:From what I have heard, the Osseo High School side of OMG is extremely small and would not be competitive, or possibly even sustainable, on its own. If I recall correctly, I believe it was something like more than 80% of the OMG players live within the Maple Grove High School boundaries. That appears to be supported by the strength of the respective high school programs.
So why not have Osseo join with another association...say, North Metro. Maple Grove doesn't need Osseo--Osseo needs Maple Grove--or someone else.
Agreed! Osseo should join North metro. Maple Grove has plenty of kids to choose from.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:02 am

Maybe MG needs the dollars from Osseo. Their agreement prob stipulates each side pays a certain percentage rather than on an amount per player like other merged teams.

Plus doesn't North Metro have too many schools/teams to even list anyway?

lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Maybe MG needs the dollars from Osseo. Their agreement prob stipulates each side pays a certain percentage rather than on an amount per player like other merged teams.

Plus doesn't North Metro have too many schools/teams to even list anyway?
Question is. How many A or AA teams does North Metro have in their association?

hockeygoof1

Post by hockeygoof1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:36 am

Just a thought here. It's NOT in the works, but how about a Chisago-Forest Lake-North Branch trio? CFLNB??

iseepalms

Post by iseepalms » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:44 am

Johnson/Como/Westside/Harding, Inter City hockey people complain about.
Johnson/Como has 34 players in Squirts, 27 Pee Wee's and 16 Bantams and people are complaining that they shoul field "A" Teams. Teams like OMG have 1 "A" Squirt team and 4 "B" Squirt teams so no one should complain at all about Johnson/Como which is the third smallest association in the state.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:46 pm

hockeygoof1 wrote:Just a thought here. It's NOT in the works, but how about a Chisago-Forest Lake-North Branch trio? CFLNB??
I know that North Branch high school has talked about approaching St Francis, Forest Lake and Chisago about being a co-op, but I'm sure Chisago wouldn't want to since the merge would put them in AA. Youth would probably soon follow.

Most people don't know it, but Elk River has a co-op, with 850+ student Zimmerman high school, that supplies quite a few of their players.

Forest Lake or St Francis would become a power within a few years

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:48 pm

What about North Branch girls? Don't they combine with Mora, Pine City, Cambridge? And girls high school is already combined with St. Francis.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:What about North Branch girls? Don't they combine with Mora, Pine City, Cambridge? And girls high school is already combined with St. Francis.
Youth girls are with St Francis since last year. North Francis Flyers.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Forest lake would be pefect fit. maybe get the two school districts together and finish that sheet in Stacey !!!

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Would make sense since just as many kids that go to FL live just as close.

lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:27 pm

What class is North metro's top team?

Weakside-Bardown

Post by Weakside-Bardown » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:04 am

North Metro has single A teams at Bantams and Peewees.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:08 am

lilgretzky99 wrote:
the_juiceman wrote:
Agreed! Osseo should join North metro. Maple Grove has plenty of kids to choose from.
Osseo was around long before MG even existed - so, sure dump them now because you no longer need them. Seems a bit arrogant.

VicKevlar

Post by VicKevlar » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:28 am

Weakside-Bardown wrote:North Metro has single A teams at Bantams and Peewees.

And if you look at the D3 website standings none are competitive......they were pretty much forced by D3 to have A teams this year after the Bantam B1 team took second in state last year. The Peewee teams appear awfully misplaced by their records and goal differentials. North Metro had no A teams last year.

VicKevlar

Post by VicKevlar » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:36 am

Bluewhitefan wrote:
lilgretzky99 wrote:
the_juiceman wrote:
Osseo was around long before MG even existed - so, sure dump them now because you no longer need them. Seems a bit arrogant.

You can check my post history from years ago.......but Osseo came to Brooklyn Park 6-7 years ago looking to merge. Against sage advice BPYHA turned it down so Osseo went Maple Grove. When the state made its Champlin Park decision and pretty much gutted BPYHA, they became the ones desperate to merge. Too late.

I would put forth the arguement that the youth levels should merge because the high schools are already merged for both boys and girls (Osseo and Park Center).