Are the wheels coming off of N.E/A.A?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:44 am

I tend to agree. Although if they wanted to set a precedent so kids won't look outside the traditional model for hockey or extra-curricular....

Are there other schools (I know Marshall) that entirely disbanded their hockey program? And where those kids went? This question is different in that only the hockey (or b-ball or drama or debate) was eliminated but the school isnt affected?

BP

Post by BP » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:32 am

Heard one of the boys is in a Calculus class, was looking for help with his homework, and no one can help him, so he has to go out and get a private tutor on his own and pay for it. Yikes.

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:59 am

BP wrote:Heard one of the boys is in a Calculus class, was looking for help with his homework, and no one can help him, so he has to go out and get a private tutor on his own and pay for it. Yikes.
Kind of unreasonable to expect a school to have qualified teachers on staff to help with the curriculum, isn't it? Besides, what's more important, getting an education or your power play percentage?

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:22 am

Qualified Teachers to help? What is his name? R2D2?

hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:29 pm

In NE's defense, it's not like anyone could have predicted educational problems when you hire people to help educate kids in a broad field of study who have no experience or training in education.

On a completely unrelated note, I am having trouble with my car. Could anyone recommend an apprentice plumber I could hire to fix it?

D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:01 pm

Oh, good, I thought this might be off topic, but I was wondering:

Let

Now if an, bn, cn, and dn are integers such that

Let

What is BCD as a fraction in lowest terms? And in a neutral zone trap, what does the off-wing do?

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:03 pm

Zero, and staple.

D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Can you tutor my kid?

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Why can't the answers be :"1", and "hang her head in shame"?

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Well that would depend on where she plays.

And yes I can tutor her, fix your car, clean your fishtank, AND guarantee in writing I can get her full ride D1.

And I'm not even "Harvard educated."

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 pm

Posted in the boys forum - gotta be happy for the kids involved.

Northern Educate Sports Academy Acquired in Deal That Gives School New Lease on Life

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/northern- ... 00011.html

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:59 am

I hope they had to pay for that advertisement.

"Northern Educate Sports Academy is the undisputed leader in preparing young people for excellence in sports and academics."

:roll:

LetsGetRealPeople

Laundry detergent recomendation?

Post by LetsGetRealPeople » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:20 am

Dear Ladies,

Since it looks like you ladies are doing some great chattering at the laundromat, I was wondering if you could tell me which laundry detergent works best on crying towels. I want to help some chattering ladies I know in the forum.

With all due respect of course.

Cheers

skatez

Post by skatez » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:57 pm

In the history of the MSHSL has there ever been a school to be saved from "imminent closure" due to a formation of a new llc by a parent??

Embarrassing.

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:06 pm

skatez wrote:In the history of the MSHSL has there ever been a school to be saved from "imminent closure" due to a formation of a new llc by a parent??

Embarrassing.
Skatez

Welcome to the long list of insecure AA haters !!

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:42 pm

It's been said by many and I've said it before. If AA went and played a prep school schedule nobody would care or probably notice.

To get back on topic, apparently the wheels were definitely coming off. Bailed out by a parent is embarrassing and just another laugh in what is becoming the "dark comedy of the year". CP better hope he can continue to fill rosters with out of state kids because I doubt there will be many new MN students next year. I am amazed with the news that has come out, shady investors, mismanagement, unpaid bills, etc., that some of you parents are still coming in here to defend people that are obviously crooked and probably not concerned one bit with your child's education. Please inform us why you still think this school is good for your child's future?

Letsgetrealpeople, Add to the thread or leave. Karl, drop the banhammer, would you?

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:11 pm

MN_Bowhunter wrote:Please inform us why you still think this school is good for your child's future?

My student/athlete child has excelled in this environment this year at both academics and hockey development ! Enough said!

LetsGetRealPeople

Here to stay whether you like it or not.

Post by LetsGetRealPeople » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:16 am

To the Bowhunter,

I'm sorry to tell you but Achiever Acadmey is here to stay for a very long time to come. Hard for you to believe but the parents and the students love the school and It will succeed. Consider this my last post on this website as I find the majority of the postings and people revolting. My pokes at you were in an effort to try and slap some decency into you and others. I realize now that is not possible.

Karl feel free to drop the hammer on me for one of your finest commentators the Bowhunter. This string much like many others on this site must make the creators of this site very proud. It's got ignorance, inuendo, conjecture and most of all lots of people with very little class or decency commenting about things they know nothing about.

With no due respect!

LetsGetRealPeople signing out.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:48 am

Not being intimately involved in this situation and only reading these wonderful posts, it seems that NE/AA is either the absolute best path to true hockey Nirvana or the spawn of Satan himself (please forgive the mixed religious metaphors, but I strive to be as inclusive as possible :) ), but absolutely nowhere in between. I have neither a perfect crystal ball nor a readily available coin to flip, so don't know what the actual answer is. I may not have learned much in my 50 years on this planet, but one thing I think is almost always the case is that the "truth" is somewhere in between the two extremes. Maybe it's 50/50, maybe 60/40, maybe 80/20, but it's almost never 100/0. To state another way, the world is mostly gray, but rarely black and white. I've fit in enough analogies/metaphors (don't think I used a simile) for my 2-minute spiel. Enjoy the game of hockey, everyone, and allow your daughters to do the same.

Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:31 pm

Marshall didn't have a HS team. It was 14UB. I think it will take a different model than on-line learning to succeed long term. Shaatucks success can be attributed to Craig Norwich and his intimate understanding of high-level hockey, an on-site rink all wrapped around a campus.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:20 pm

NE/AA is essentially home schooling with and organized extra-curricular. Is it a school, no. But those who so vehemently slam NE/AA are in essence saying that home schooling should not be allowed, or at least that home schoolers should not be allowed to participate in HS athletics.

I would never let my daughter attend NE/AA. For her it would be a terrible fit and her studies would suffer as would her happiness. Does that mean it is a bad choice for all children, of course not!

It is pretty obvious, or it should be, that NE/AA is not the short path to professional athletics. It is an alternative to kids who don't really fit into a traditional HS model. For that I applaud them. Hopefully NE/AA will be better run in the future, better at managing growth and expectations, but if they fail there are always alternatives. Those kids aren't going to going to be lost, forgotten or damaged.

imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Sinbin,
The only comment of yours that made any sense was your last sentence.

Lucky EP,
NE/Achiever are not home schoolers. They are NOT being taught by their mothers. There are live teachers in the classroom as well as online teachers. It still amuses those who have seen first hand how NE works, to then listen to all the "experts" who have never set a foot in facilities or met any staff or students.

Lilgretzky99, you asked me for an apology, so here you are, I am sorry you are afraid that NE/Achiever might be successful in Minnesota. New ownership does not mean the wheels are off. The fact that my kids are no longer part of the school, does not mean that the years that were spent here were not valuable.

Choices , options, more kids playing = more childhood memories!!
No one has claimed a fast track to pro anything.... If a kid makes it to the big show it will be "in spite of everything, and because of.....nothing".
The ones that will, will!!!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:33 pm

Surprise! This topic got out of hand again. :roll:

Nor do I particularly appreciate being publicly asked to step in and ban people. I am not here to babysit every thread. If you have an issue with what someone else is posting, PM me or follow the protocol in the rules thread. If there truly is an issue, this will be far more effective than public whining about the tactics used by the other side of the debate. And in this case, both sides are guilty.