State of Brainerd Hockey?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Potatohead9

State of Brainerd Hockey?

Post by Potatohead9 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:00 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

puckbreath wrote:
SPUDNUT wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
The Next One wrote:
SPUDNUT wrote:
Moorhead 4
Brainerd 2

Final

Got ugly at the end.

I would call that a little more than ugly. There is no place in this great game for plays like that. Hope the kid from mhd makes a full recovery.
Tell us what happened?

Wasn't there to see it - had it on the radio. Don't have the whole story, so can't say.

Well, if you're going to bring it up, at least say what you know, heard, whatever.

Wow a Jim Archibald (Head Coach) Led Brainerd Hockey Team getting negative attention again.....cant say its a surprise. Every year this happens.....when is the Brainerd public school district going to say this is not what we want or MSHSL? Wish I could provide information as to what happened, but I was not there. I only have information from third parties. But lets face it if it happens on the ice or even off it and involves players it seems the COACH is responsible these days.

Cdale

Post by Cdale » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:46 am

From box score I'm guessing it had something to do with the 5 minute penalty towards the end of game? http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/show/54 ... son=119365

Potatohead9

Post by Potatohead9 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:47 pm

I would guess that also.....but nothing mentioned in the Fargo Forum or the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Just alot of twitter activity.
Thats Mr. Potatohead to you!

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Did you really just start a rumor about a rumor?

Jackpinesavage2014

Post by Jackpinesavage2014 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:03 pm

I was there -There was an big check at center ice with 5 seconds to go. It was an interference it was a hard check and it was unnecessary. MH guys responded and Brainerd responded to MH. Both sides threw punches both sides had to be seperated. It was unnessaccary and stupid. The whole game was chippy and there was a lot of chirping the entire game. I think MH had more penalties up to that point. If you weren't there and didn't see it why would you talk about it. Listening works better than talking without the info

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Jackpinesavage2014 wrote:I was there -There was an big check at center ice with 5 seconds to go. It was an interference it was a hard check and it was unnecessary. MH guys responded and Brainerd responded to MH. Both sides threw punches both sides had to be seperated. It was unnessaccary and stupid. The whole game was chippy and there was a lot of chirping the entire game. I think MH had more penalties up to that point. If you weren't there and didn't see it why would you talk about it. Listening works better than talking without the info
Because it was brought up, and inquiring minds want to know ?

Not rocket science.

Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:14 pm

puckbreath wrote:
Jackpinesavage2014 wrote:I was there -There was an big check at center ice with 5 seconds to go. It was an interference it was a hard check and it was unnecessary. MH guys responded and Brainerd responded to MH. Both sides threw punches both sides had to be seperated. It was unnessaccary and stupid. The whole game was chippy and there was a lot of chirping the entire game. I think MH had more penalties up to that point. If you weren't there and didn't see it why would you talk about it. Listening works better than talking without the info
Because it was brought up, and inquiring minds want to know ?

Not rocket science.
Jack's own words....."big, hard, unneccessary, and stupid" in reference to a check in open ice with 5 seconds remaining... in a game already decided. Go figure that some would be interested in finding out what happened that triggered Tweets on Brainerd hockey. Thanks for filling us in!
It is what it is!

Vapor

Post by Vapor » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:45 pm

When are the Section coaches going to step up and bring this info to the MSHSL?? Brainerd coach was out of control as a player, and now bringing this sort of cheap crap to the HS level. Won't change until Sec. 8AA coaches step up. Not only players embarrassing themselves, but the Brainerd fans are a joke as well.

The Next One

Post by The Next One » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:03 pm

The brd player could have only intended one thing with the contact and that is to injure mhd player, which as I left it looked like he indeed did. It was high hit to the neck and head with no puck possession. Complete bush league hit, should have been dq'd. Mhd player that hopped bench to get involved in line brawl also should have been dq'd. This action has been all to common place when brd loses games over the yrs. Sometimes teams are better, sometimes they get the bounces, sometimes it just isn't your day...play hard, shake hands, and say good game at the final buzzer

roadtrip

Post by roadtrip » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:09 pm

Most Brainerd fans aren't happy with what happened either. The idiots are always the loudest though.

Potatohead9

Post by Potatohead9 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:30 am

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Did you really just start a rumor about a rumor?[/quot

So did I start a rumor or place a microscope on brainerd hockey?
Thats Mr. Potatohead to you!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Does it all fall back on Archibald?

pucktalk

agree

Post by pucktalk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:40 pm

I have not had an account for a couple of years so had to create a new one once I saw this posting. Why is it that Brainerd community lets this happen as I know of so many great people and hockey families in that area. I have witnessed a few high school games at Brainerd as a visiting fan and I do not know who was more embarrassing, the fans, the players or the coach. The fans had to have a visiting fan who was a cop flash his badge to stop him from trying to fight another fan. This hit described here was very close to what I witnessed as well at one game. Game against a rival, yep it was Little Falls a few years back when JA was still playing. It was a disgusting display for a community to allow this. Anyone from Brainerd care to tell me that I am wrong or missing something? I really hope that I am.

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:42 pm

Potatohead - you tryin' to agitate the natives again ?

blindref

Post by blindref » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:54 am

Why do they track hits on their Hub site?
Only four other teams do that.
Over 1,000 hits in twelve games.
Maybe they just have an aggressive statistician.

greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:24 am

Have had one exposure to Brainerd fans. It was at the Rapids-Brainerd basketball game. Some of them were constantly complaining about the referees after practically every foul called against them. The complaining was load and obnoxious. I'm sure we all have complained about a call, but not as loudly or as often as some of the Brainerd fans. It doesn't take many fans like this to give you a bad reputation.

RRubberbeeskit

Cheapshot to the head.

Post by RRubberbeeskit » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:44 am

elliott70 wrote:Does it all fall back on Archibald?
A punch to the jaw of a Fergus Falls player vs Brained which was called a 2:00 minor for roughing has kept the Otter Senior defenseman out of action ever since and he will be lucky if he returns to play another game the rest of the season. The Otters vs Brained game may have been the cleanest game Brainerd played all year as they only had 1 penalty in the game.
I think this Warrior hockey team has enough depth and talent to win games against some very solid AA schools but could do so without the dirty cheap crap that results in disabling injuries.

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:23 am

When a player acts out of line it is always up to the coach and the players parent to set them straight. If the kid doesn't straighten up, then the coach and the parents have failed. I like the tough guy mentallity but this is high school hockey, not juniors and not pros. Maybe the coach should try his hand in a league that allows fighting.

greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:43 pm

The parent's involvement is crucial. I was attending the Edina-Hill game and one of Edina's players took a cheap shot and got a penalty. His mother was sitting in front of me and turned to a boy sitting next to her and said when you play hockey don't do that. I'm sure that player got an earful when he got home.

Skip_per

Sad............ all of you should be ashamed...........

Post by Skip_per » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Brainerd is no worse or better than anyone else.
I was at center ice and saw this as well. It was a hard hit. Unfortunatley there is more to the story than what people are describing.
1. The kid who applied the check is 6"3, and is frequently called, especially when other kids who are shorter, duck. Hence this is usual in High school hockey. 2. This kid is about as easy going as they get he is not an agressive kid at all. Too bad so many people do not bother to get all the facts.

Peace

A Warrior Fan!
Skipper
Peace

UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:33 pm

Would be nice if MSHSL would attend some Brainerd games . . . see for themselves.

The Next One

Re: Sad............ all of you should be ashamed...........

Post by The Next One » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:58 pm

Skip_per wrote:Brainerd is no worse or better than anyone else.
I was at center ice and saw this as well. It was a hard hit. Unfortunatley there is more to the story than what people are describing.
1. The kid who applied the check is 6"3, and is frequently called, especially when other kids who are shorter, duck. Hence this is usual in High school hockey. 2. This kid is about as easy going as they get he is not an agressive kid at all. Too bad so many people do not bother to get all the facts.

Peace

A Warrior Fan!
I have to respectfully disagree with most everything you say here. I have followed brd hockey since the 80's. Over the past few yrs they have acted much worse than past brd teams and other programs around the state. Just off the top of my head you have this brd vs mhd game, brd vs lf a few yrs ago, brd at bem a few yrs ago that had incidents that were embarrassing to see. I am sure I could think of more if I dug deep into past schedules.

The brd player in this incident is a big kid, I would say he is plenty aggressive. A very nice kid from what I know. Hopefully he just made a mistake in the heat of the moment. But, the fact is he targeted the head of the mhd player not in possession of the puck with 5 second left in a game they were going to lose. So you could conclude that his only objective was to injure the mhd player. Any word how he is doing?
That mhd player is a tough sob and did not duck that check one bit.

roadtrip

Post by roadtrip » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 pm

[quote="greenway1969"]The parent's involvement is crucial. I was attending the Edina-Hill game and one of Edina's players took a cheap shot and got a penalty. His mother was sitting in front of me and turned to a boy sitting next to her and said when you play hockey don't do that. I'm sure that player got an earful when he got home.[/quote]

True, but in a situation where the parent says one thing and the coach encourages another what will a HS kid do?

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:54 pm

roadtrip wrote:
greenway1969 wrote:The parent's involvement is crucial. I was attending the Edina-Hill game and one of Edina's players took a cheap shot and got a penalty. His mother was sitting in front of me and turned to a boy sitting next to her and said when you play hockey don't do that. I'm sure that player got an earful when he got home.
True, but in a situation where the parent says one thing and the coach encourages another what will a HS kid do?
What all hs kids do; blow them both off, and do what he wants anyway. :wink:

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Sometimes behavior changes come from the strangest places...
My son was that kid that who was bigger and faster than everyone at a young age and drew a ton of penalties (most incorrect for smaller and slower players falling down.) As he got into squirts and peewees he was still pretty big and fast and his teammates and coaches counted on him for goals and checks. He got sloppy. By the time he was a bantam, it was frustrating to watch him use his size instead of his speed and strength and get as many stupid penalties as points. Not cheap shots, but sh**** nonetheless at his level. First year varsity at his new school the dad of a kid he really looked up to on the team pulled him aside and told it to him straight - he was too good of a skater and player to be getting those kinds of penalties. What did he want to be known for - most penalty minutes or....?
No matter how many times I said it or the coach said it, that conversation completely changed his game from then on.
I realize the kind of penalties you are talking about here are late and cheap and deliberate. But these kids grow into their habits over thousands of ice hours. Takes a commitment on the players part to really turn it around.
My two cents.
And I buy that dad a round every single time I see him.