White Bear Lake vs. Hill-Murray | 1/16/14 at 7:30

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who ya got?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:52 am

HILL-MURRAY, duh!
67%
WHITE BEAR LAKE, because miracles DO happen!
33%

Total votes: 21

ZachHalverson

White Bear Lake vs. Hill-Murray | 1/16/14 at 7:30

Post by ZachHalverson »

It's finally here! Aldrich will be packed, and student sections will collide. And I guess there is a hockey game too.

Bears are the clear underdog, and quite frankly have played terrible against the Pioneers in the regular season in recent years. They got smoked last year at Vadnais before holding HM to 1 goal in their Section final loss.

HM is one of the best hockey teams in the state and are yet again a favorite, in my opinion, for the state championship. With their depth and coaching, it should be a win for the Pioneers.

You can watch this Bears upset on http://TheHornWBL.com, by the way.
stpaul

WBL - HM

Post by stpaul »

17-1*

*HM's record vs. WBL since 2006. Not a score prediction.
Sats81

Re: WBL - HM

Post by Sats81 »

stpaul wrote:17-1*

lol. I'll take pioneers 6-3
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

My prediction is if HM wins by 4 or more goals, they will go to State. Anything less & they will be upset in secitions (likely by White Bear). Just going on my gut.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:Just going on my gut.
Did you have White Castle again last night?
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

stpaul wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:Just going on my gut.
Did you have White Castle again last night?
LOL...not quite. Seems odd to say, but not totally sold on this club yet. Leadership is still a concern. We'll see. Maybe it was just dinner. :wink:
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:My prediction is if HM wins by 4 or more goals, they will go to State. Anything less & they will be upset in secitions (likely by White Bear). Just going on my gut.
White Castle for thought:

It occurred to me while thinking about tomorrow's matchup that the regular season game between these two teams is never very close. But when sections come 'round, its a completely different story:

2007-2008
Regular season: 5-2 HM
Section final: 2-1 HM

2008-2009
Section semi: 5-4 (OT) HM

2009-2010
Regular season: 5-0 HM
Section final: 5-1 HM

2010-2011
Regular season: 3-0 HM
Section final: 5-4 (2OT) WBL

2011-2012
Regular season: 7-2 HM
No section play, HM beat Roseville 3-2 in section final

2012-2013
Regular season: 6-1 HM
Section final: 1-0 HM

I don't know if WBL is sandbagging the regular season game or they just pick it up several notches in sections, but it seems that the regular season game doesn't reflect whats to come.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

I think the only game White Bear cares about all season is the section meeting with Hill.
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:My prediction is if HM wins by 4 or more goals, they will go to State. Anything less & they will be upset in secitions (likely by White Bear). Just going on my gut.

It occurred to me while thinking about tomorrow's matchup that the regular season game between these two teams is never very close. But when sections come 'round, its a completely different story:
ZachHalverson wrote: Bears are the clear underdog, and quite frankly have played terrible against the Pioneers in the regular season in recent years.
Great minds think alike!
Sleepysteve

Post by Sleepysteve »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:
I don't know if WBL is sandbagging the regular season game or they just pick it up several notches in sections, but it seems that the regular season game doesn't reflect whats to come.

This has been WB's problem for ever...Hill Murray in section finals is OUR state tournament. Witness our record at state on Thursday as evidence.

Go Bears!
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Sleepysteve wrote:This has been WB's problem for ever...Hill Murray in section finals is OUR state tournament. Witness our record at state on Thursday as evidence.

Go Bears!
What is that record, is it something like 0-25?
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:

2007-2008

2008-2009

2009-2010

2010-2011

2011-2012

2012-2013

It is because White Bear plays a completely different kind of game in the section. They use that trap style in sections that they don't use during the regular season game.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

pioneers wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:

2007-2008

2008-2009

2009-2010

2010-2011

2011-2012

2012-2013

It is because White Bear plays a completely different kind of game in the section. They use that trap style in sections that they don't use during the regular season game.
Then WBL should play that style year-round. I looked at the box score for the years above, and universally WBL had around as many or more shots on goal (many times significantly more) during the section game than the regular season game. They also almost universally took less penalties in the section games. Anyway, I agree they play more trap during sections, but obviously that style is works for them then.
hockeymachine

Post by hockeymachine »

It has been a few years, but don't forget, a few of the years HM beat WBL in the section finals, WBL outplayed Hill.

Nick Larson's Sr. year for HM, WBL dominated play, while the goaltending for WBL cost them the game.

The last few years, sure HM has dominated the play with a much more skilled team, forcing WBL to play the trap game.

It worked for WBL the Wahlin/Birkinbine/Jansen year, not so much last year.

I see a relatively easy win for HM tonight, and than all bets are off when it comes to the 4AA section final. Wahlin will have to put on a show to make it a game. As of late, Wahlin has looked stiffled and frustrated. Edina shut him down, and his frustration was shown with that check from behind that was dangerous, and should have been a match penalty.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

Thanks for the stream and all, but Jefferson Airplane / Jefferson Starship / Starship are legendary and you commentators are in need of some serious music education.
BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs »

WBL JV won 2-0 which was nice
WBL leading 4-3 is impressive but they can't take the foot off the gas if they want to win it.
bemused

Post by bemused »

BearsSensGophs wrote:WBL JV won 2-0 which was nice
WBL leading 4-3 is impressive but they can't take the foot off the gas if they want to win it.
Final? Flub says it is 4-4 in 3rd. Unbelievable that this is the same team that dismantled Edina a week ago.
BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs »

Not final still a few minutes in regulation but yeah and WBL got dismantled by Edina to top it off.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

HM wins 5-4 OT Joey Anderson
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Thriller of a game. Credit White Bear for playing pretty much even with Hill for most of the night. Hill's lack of discipline helped, but the Bears were by no means outclassed 5-on-5. They need to work on their starts to periods, but all-in-all, this is probably a confidence booster for them. It's been a while since these two played a close regular season game.

Slattery can sure be mercurial. He does little other than take penalties in the first two periods, then sets up a beauty of a game-tying goal in the 3rd. Give them credit for not panicking when they went down in the 3rd, and if they clean up some of those penalties, WBL might face some tougher sledding in a section final rematch. They may still be #1, but games like tonight's show that no one is even remotely safe in a game against another top 20 team.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

karl(east) wrote:Thriller of a game. Credit White Bear for playing pretty much even with Hill for most of the night. Hill's lack of discipline helped, but the Bears were by no means outclassed 5-on-5. They need to work on their starts to periods, but all-in-all, this is probably a confidence booster for them. It's been a while since these two played a close regular season game.

Slattery can sure be mercurial. He does little other than take penalties in the first two periods, then sets up a beauty of a game-tying goal in the 3rd. Give them credit for not panicking when they went down in the 3rd, and if they clean up some of those penalties, WBL might face some tougher sledding in a section final rematch. They may still be #1, but games like tonight's show that no one is even remotely safe in a game against another top 20 team.
Or Apple Valley...
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Sparlimb wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Thriller of a game. Credit White Bear for playing pretty much even with Hill for most of the night. Hill's lack of discipline helped, but the Bears were by no means outclassed 5-on-5. They need to work on their starts to periods, but all-in-all, this is probably a confidence booster for them. It's been a while since these two played a close regular season game.

Or Apple Valley...
:lol: Ok, a top 80 team.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

Agree completely. Fun atmosphere at Aldrich. The rivalry lives. HM is a better team but was hurt by lack of discipline by Slattery, Zarembinski and Olson, 3 of their biggest and best players. Saturday it was Edina that lost their cool. Tonight it was HM but only at times.
bemused

Post by bemused »

Slattery can sure be mercurial.
I have seen him 3 times this year. If mercurial is PC for lazy.. I agree.
if it is like old #84 "I play when I want to play" I agree.

If it is Webster's "lively and quick" I disagree.
stpaul

Re: WBL - HM

Post by stpaul »

stpaul wrote:17-1*

18-1*