HDM

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:WBL - Hill = Awesome!

Rapids - East + snow storm might just give Rapids a very rare win.

Perfect Hockey day!!

Good to see some other programs in the mix. Up or down it's high school hockey not the NHL.
We fell for that out door hockey scam before. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Who could forget the image of fire extinguisher being used to freeze the ice?

We'll let other teams risk senseless injuries, playing olde tyme hockey (in $300 pairs of skate with $200 fiberglass sticks. Just like the old days.)
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

Unfortunately, I think East Side Pioneer Guy is correct and it will be a long while beofre you see Hill-Murray in an outdoor game again. That debacle up in Moorhead and the injuries that could have occurred in those conditions are likely still fresh in Lechner's mind.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

That is probably why Edina said no this year. If they had known how much the Elk River people were going
to spend on infrastructure and a quality rink and how it turned out they may have done it.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

slacsap wrote:Unfortunately, I think East Side Pioneer Guy is correct and it will be a long while beofre you see Hill-Murray in an outdoor game again. That debacle up in Moorhead and
the injuries that could have occurred
in those conditions are likely still fresh in Lechner's mind.
You boys must be lawyers!
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

alcloseshaver wrote:That is probably why Edina said no this year. If they had known how much the Elk River people were going
to spend on infrastructure and a quality rink and how it turned out they may have done it.
You can spend all you want but if the weather is 35 and sunny it doesn't matter.

"Everybody complains about it but nobody ever does anything about it."
Mark Twain on the weather
slyer

Post by slyer »

I bet if the kids have anything to say about playing in the hdm most if not all would want to play, worried about injuries is stupid this is hockey, deal with it or maybe little junior will get a cold
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:That is probably why Edina said no this year. If they had known how much the Elk River people were going
You can spend all you want but if the weather is 35 and sunny it doesn't matter.

"Everybody complains about it but nobody ever does anything about it."
Mark Twain on the weather
Elk River folks can thank the weather Gods then. Talked to the Cloquet and Rochester people and they were stunned at the hockey heaven setting and the entire experience. ER also hosted a banquet Friday night that the players said was a great time. The bar has been raised, just need to make a deal with the Mother Nature.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Was nice Lourdes coach put the Rochester goalie for the 3rd period but it cost them the game. The Red Wing kid stole the game.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Slammer wrote:Who picks these teams? Why can't they pick rival teams like East vs. Cloquet? Would make it a hell of a lot more interesting...
Agreed!!
SEMNHOCKEYFAN

Post by SEMNHOCKEYFAN »

BadgerBob82 wrote:Was nice Lourdes coach put the Rochester goalie for the 3rd period but it cost them the game. The Red Wing kid stole the game.
The Rochester kid ironic enough isnt an orginal Lourdes kid he transfered from Mayo his sophmore year i believe
CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

kniven wrote:
Slammer wrote:Who picks these teams? Why can't they pick rival teams like East vs. Cloquet? Would make it a hell of a lot more interesting...
Wondering when Warroad is going to get the nod for a HDM game. Warroad vs Roseau in that venue would be epic!
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

IMO HDM games should always be held up north. Easier to deal with more extreme cold weather than warm and these areas don't get the attention of the metro. Should also shoot for more of a exhibition and avoid conference or section implications. Would also prefer to have a set-up for better TV as the shadows from the pit in ER made it tough. Frankly I liked what GR did on Pokegama last year better than ER though ER is still the higher seed hands down in 7AA this year. Oh also find teams with different colors - what are the odds of 2 purple/wihte/gold teams playing followed by 2 black/red/white teams?
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:IMO HDM games should always be held up north. Easier to deal with more extreme cold weather than warm and these areas don't get the attention of the metro. Should also shoot for more of a exhibition and avoid conference or section implications. Would also prefer to have a set-up for better TV as the shadows from the pit in ER made it tough. Frankly I liked what GR did on Pokegama last year better than ER though ER is still the higher seed hands down in 7AA this year. Oh also find teams with different colors - what are the odds of 2 purple/wihte/gold teams playing followed by 2 black/red/white teams?
So much wrong in one post. I'll keep my reply to your comment in one paragraph too.

HDM games should NOT be held up north every year. The weather isn't that much colder, unless we are talking Baudette Bay cold, which 40 degrees below zero isn't necessarily ideal. And there is SO much attention on the metro teams and absolutely none paid to the northern teams. I mean, just look at this forum! I can't find anything about Duluth East, Grand Rapids, or ANYTHING on the northern teams! Come on, the northern teams get plenty of "attention". Elk River played Stillwater this year. Elk River is not in the same Section as Stillwater. Elk River is not in the same conference as Stillwater. I don't know what more that you want, but this was about as close to an exhibition as you are going to get. As far as the TV complaint goes, the shadows in the pit were caused by something called the "Sun". This "Sun" is a giant star in the sky that blasts a high amount of light, heat, and radiation at the Earth. We currently have no control over this "Sun" when we are playing outside. I'm sorry that it was a little hard for you to see the puck, but I don't think there is much we can do about it when we are playing hockey outside. I'm glad you liked what Grand Rapids did better than what Elk River did. I thought both cities did a great job, but you certainly have a right to your opinion. However, you did not have to point out that you think that Elk River is the higher seed in Section 7AA, because none of us assumed that because you think that Grand Rapids had the better HDM that they automatically get a higher seed in the Section this year. Finally, the fact that each game had two teams playing with the same color jerseys certainly was a noteworthy observation, but is it really that important that we select teams based on their jersey colors? I mean, are you that nit-picky that you can't even handle same colored jerseys? Geez.

Sorry if that was a little harsh, but somebody had to say it, right?

Alright now it is time to to respond to other comments here. I would love WBL-Hill, but that game is a HUGE money maker for what ever school is hosting it that year, so HDM would have to be hosted by WBL for that to happen. I don't think that HDM will be going to WBL in the near future, but I do think it will happen sometime down the road.

I love the Duluth Harbor idea. I would have to probably drive up there myself and see it in person. They need to do this, and soon.

Harriet Island isn't a bad option, but they already did HDM in St. Paul, so I wouldn't expect them to come back so soon. Johnson needs to be included in this if this does happen.

But again, Duluth Harbor ASAP please.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:IMO HDM games should always be held up north. Easier to deal with more extreme cold weather than warm and these areas don't get the attention of the metro. Should also shoot for more of a exhibition and avoid conference or section implications. Would also prefer to have a set-up for better TV as the shadows from the pit in ER made it tough. Frankly I liked what GR did on Pokegama last year better than ER though ER is still the higher seed hands down in 7AA this year. Oh also find teams with different colors - what are the odds of 2 purple/wihte/gold teams playing followed by 2 black/red/white teams?
The high in ER was 23 deg on Saturday. The high in say, GR, was 21 the same day. Big difference... Don't know how you can complain about the ER conditions as they were basically perfect. And the shadows in the pit made it hard for you but the blowing snow/30-45 mph gusts over Pokegama didn't at all? Hmm. Odd.