Squirtacular

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Ref22

Squirtacular

Post by Ref22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:33 am

Who attended the squirtacular at BIG over the weekend?

I haven't reffed squirts very much in the last few years but there was some good talent at the A level. There was a squirt A team from Chicagoland participating in the B tournament that looked like a marginal B team. I think they finished 4th or 6th.

iseepalms

Post by iseepalms » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Does anyone really care it is just a big money tournament that most associations won't participate in due to the cost. You can almost go to two tournaments for the price of this one. It is all about Youth Hockey Hub and teams from District 3 & 6 teams.

Ref22

Post by Ref22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:09 pm

agreed.

Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Youth hockey hub is only for districts 3 and 6 so why would this surprise you that they put on a tournament to showcase those teams. For every 10 articles written or teams covered from districts 3 and 6 you will find an article about a different district.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Forest Lake SA went. Kids and parents enjoyed it.

iseepalms

Post by iseepalms » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Did Forest Lake hockey association pay for the tournament?

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:47 pm

Yes. Why ? Our assc. pays for 4 tournys per team. then the teams can add if they want through team funds.
Last edited by old goalie85 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:53 pm

A potential for 6 games against many of the top Squirt teams at each level in the state (and some out of state).

- More expensive than most tournaments -yes
- More games and better competition than most tournaments - yes

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

savagegopher

Post by savagegopher » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:44 pm

At least most team didn't have to pay for hotel rooms

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:33 am

iseepalms wrote:Does anyone really care it is just a big money tournament that most associations won't participate in due to the cost. You can almost go to two tournaments for the price of this one. It is all about Youth Hockey Hub and teams from District 3 & 6 teams.
Well, the world needs ditch diggers too! :lol:

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:37 am

iseepalms wrote:Does anyone really care it is just a big money tournament that most associations won't participate in due to the cost. You can almost go to two tournaments for the price of this one. It is all about Youth Hockey Hub and teams from District 3 & 6 teams.
What is this world coming too? Someone looks at the cost/benefit analysis and makes a decision????? This is Madness I tell ya, Madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinko Bogataj

Post by Vinko Bogataj » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:38 am

Here is my take on this tournament. (Disclosure: my son played on a team that participated and we are not a D3 or D6 family. My opinions are on the A Tournament as I didn't get to see any B or C games). From a player standpoint, it was a blast playing for my son. He got to play against teams he doesn't see on a regular basis and got to play against players he played with last summer. It was fun for him to go against some different clubs. He got to trade pins and see kids he considers friends from summer. All a plus. From a parent standpoint, it was fun to see parents you know from summer hockey (from last year and our new team this coming summer) but don't get to see regularly. Would he have had as much fun playing somewhere like the Chisago Lakes tournament? Maybe, but likely not. It would have been a drive in for game, drive out experience. This tournament had a "feel" and excitement to it that others simply don't have.

From a team standpoint, was it expensive? Yes, but the consensus among our families was that the chance to play against the best teams in the state and against the best players in the state was a great experience for our kids. Our (I can speak for some but not all parents on our team) thought was that it was well worth it. We had played against a couple of clubs in the event from D8, but knew we would not be playing against them so it was a chance to take on some new blood. Nothing bad about that at all. The end result for us was our kids played pretty well, made it to the playoff round and went home feeling pretty good about how they played. The kids know who the top teams are and came away feeling like they can play with most any team in the state.

My takeaway is that it is an extremely well run tournament, it has probably the best level of play of any tournament out there and it has a more big time feel than other tournaments. I would recommend the tournament to any team that is looking for a high level of play and a well managed tournament. Is it for everyone, probably not, but I don't think that is what the organizers are going for. If you are a good team that wants to test yourself, this is as good as it gets. Only thing I would like to see them add is a skills competition for the players. Also, they get big bonus points for webcasting, it allowed my parents to enjoy a game from the comfort of their living room in Phoenix.
Last edited by Vinko Bogataj on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:48 am

Sounds like an awesome experience for the kids. Thanks for the summary.

How come no scores posted? Any link to results?

Vinko Bogataj

Post by Vinko Bogataj » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 am

observer wrote:Sounds like an awesome experience for the kids. Thanks for the summary.

How come no scores posted? Any link to results?
Here you go, links to the right side with scores, stats, etc...

http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/squirtaculartournament

observer

Post by observer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:55 am

Very nice job on the website, stats, etc. Best I've ever seen for an association youth tourney.

Congrats to Maple Grove! Obviously a very special, hard working, group of kids.

Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:02 pm

[quote="observer"]Very nice job on the website, stats, etc. Best I've ever seen for an association youth tourney.

Congrats to Maple Grove! Obviously a very special, hard working, group of kids.[/quote]

This is not run by an association it is run by Youth Hockey Hub.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:20 pm

I know and I'm not a big fan of that. Actually, I think they split responsibilities. And profit?

But, at one point I was directed to the Bloomington Association site. It shows it can be done and sets the bar. It's all easier than it used to be with most associations on the NGIN platform which can handle it. Another responsibility for the ol' tournament committee.

http://www.bloomingtonhockey.com/page/s ... rt-a-2014-

Ref22

Post by Ref22 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:01 pm

Vinko Bogataj wrote:
iseepalms wrote: Here is my take on this tournament. (Disclosure: my son played on a team that participated and we are not a D3 or D6 family. My opinions are on the A Tournament as I didn't get to see any B or C games). From a player standpoint, it was a blast playing for my son. He got to play against teams he doesn't see on a regular basis and got to play against players he played with last summer. It was fun for him to go against some different clubs. He got to trade pins and see kids he considers friends from summer. All a plus. From a parent standpoint, it was fun to see parents you know from summer hockey (from last year and our new team this coming summer) but don't get to see regularly. Would he have had as much fun playing somewhere like the Chisago Lakes tournament? Maybe, but likely not. It would have been a drive in for game, drive out experience. This tournament had a "feel" and excitement to it that others simply don't have.

From a team standpoint, was it expensive? Yes, but the consensus among our families was that the chance to play against the best teams in the state and against the best players in the state was a great experience for our kids. Our (I can speak for some but not all parents on our team) thought was that it was well worth it. We had played against a couple of clubs in the event from D8, but knew we would not be playing against them so it was a chance to take on some new blood. Nothing bad about that at all. The end result for us was our kids played pretty well, made it to the playoff round and went home feeling pretty good about how they played. The kids know who the top teams are and came away feeling like they can play with most any team in the state.

My takeaway is that it is an extremely well run tournament, it has probably the best level of play of any tournament out there and it has a more big time feel than other tournaments. I would recommend the tournament to any team that is looking for a high level of play and a well managed tournament. Is it for everyone, probably not, but I don't think that is what the organizers are going for. If you are a good team that wants to test yourself, this is as good as it gets. Only thing I would like to see them add is a skills competition for the players. Also, they get big bonus points for webcasting, it allowed my parents to enjoy a game from the comfort of their living room in Phoenix.
glad to hear you guys had fun.

Skills competition would have to be Tuesday night before the opening games Wednesday.

Not a big fan of shootouts at the squirt level, though I understand why they have them. I've seen far too many squirt A and lower level peewee shootouts that have gone 10+ rounds due to lack of skill or creativity I guess. Shootouts are boring at that age unless it's your kid shooting haha. Could easily play 10 minute overtime in that time or more.

jpiehl

Post by jpiehl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Anyone saying that this has the best competition and a big time feel unlike any other tournament has clearly never been to Fargo. I was not at the Squirtacular, but have been to Fargo. So feel free to correct me if it was better.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:15 pm

jpiehl wrote:Anyone saying that this has the best competition and a big time feel unlike any other tournament has clearly never been to Fargo. I was not at the Squirtacular, but have been to Fargo. So feel free to correct me if it was better.
I don't think anyone compared it to Fargo, did they? There were a large # of the top 10 Squirt A teams in the Squirtacular (9 out of 10 by some estimates). Rankings are always arguable, but it's safe to say there were a number of high quality teams in the Squirtacular.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:22 pm

jpiehl wrote:Anyone saying that this has the best competition and a big time feel unlike any other tournament has clearly never been to Fargo. I was not at the Squirtacular, but have been to Fargo. So feel free to correct me if it was better.
Not all of the Minnesota districts are able to go to Fargo.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 pm

No hotels/crowded resturants/ no it wasn't Fargo. We [FL] had been the last 2 years. Didn't get invite this year. Thank you to Bloomington hockey/Hockey Hub for having us !!!!!!

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:07 pm

Curious and off subject. When do the Fargo invites go out?

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:12 pm

Never mind. Just checked their site and see the teams are announced.

Ref22

Post by Ref22 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Fargo is a much better event as a big part of the whole experience is the times at the hotel trading pins, playing kids from other towns in floor hockey, swimming, potlucks, going to restaurants with the team etc.I played in that tournament awhile back. YHH did a very good job of the actual presentation and running of the tournament at BIG.