STA Cadets (11-4-1) @ Breck Mustangs (12-5-1) 1/25/14

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cadets16

STA Cadets (11-4-1) @ Breck Mustangs (12-5-1) 1/25/14

Post by Cadets16 »

Breck leads 2-1 after one.

Breck won their earlier meeting in the Schwan Cup, should be a great rest of the game.
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

Mark Sharp scores for Breck. 3-1 in the second.

Hallett looked ready, puck may have been deflected.
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

Novak with the wrap around goal. Classic Novak keeping his team in the game.
Assist: Tufto, Versich
3-2 Mustangs.
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

Breck scores on an STA turnover. Mustangs 4-2.
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

Novak with a beauty of a pass to Versich. Misses open net high and wide.

End of 2. Mustangs lead by two.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

6-3 Final. Breck over STA for the second time this year.

And if the Hub is correct, 4 short handed goals by the Mustangs??!!
Breckhockey99

Post by Breckhockey99 »

Breck wins 6-3 with 4 shorthanded goals!!
#42 Orke was amazing with 3 goals and an assist for Breck.
Little #8 for Breck is very fun to watch.
Novak is a special player for St thomas Academy.

I was speaking with a couple of Breck dads and Breck has been trying different lines combinations the last 6 games but went back to the old lines after the 1st period of Blake game and have played very well since.
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

Fun game to watch.

End result may have been different if Versich could have put away the wide open shot on the pass from Tommy. The momentum would have shifted, and the game would have remained in reach. Goes to show how one small moment can change a game.
bemused

Post by bemused »

Cadets16 wrote:Fun game to watch.

End result may have been different if Versich could have put away the wide open shot on the pass from Tommy. The momentum would have shifted, and the game would have remained in reach. Goes to show how one small moment can change a game.
one small moment? Saw the game..beaten to every puck, horrendous goaltending, 4 shorties and more turnovers than a bakery.
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

Yeah I agree, but putting the game back to within one goal can make a team play harder and with the idea that they could still pull it off. Being down by two puts doubt in a team's head. You can't win with doubt.

While Breck was clearly the better team out there, the entire future of the game would have been different if that goal was scored.
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

Cadets16 wrote:Yeah I agree, but putting the game back to within one goal can make a team play harder and with the idea that they could still pull it off. Being down by two puts doubt in a team's head. You can't win with doubt.

While Breck was clearly the better team out there, the entire future of the game would have been different if that goal was scored.
Lets not put the pressure on the high octane forwards that continue to be productive but missing an opportunity goal. Maybe the sucking sound behind the goalie and defense not stopping 4 short handed goals might be worth mentioning again...or STA should consider playing 5 on D to prevent.
bauerman

Post by bauerman »

I could take the green tinted glasses that HM fans seem to have and point out STA advantage in shots but one missed goal should not be used as an excuse. This is a young team that didn't play its game after beating HM and having CDH up next.
hockeyoldtimer

Cadets16

Post by hockeyoldtimer »

Have seen Tommy miss many "perfect" passes by Versich over the years and no one blamed him of losing the game or failing the team. The halo over Novak is making me sick and I'm not even an STA fan. He isn't a one man team and has lots of good players around him. You win as a team, you lose as a team. I'd look at the powerplay. 4 short handed goals? Terrible.
nobama

Post by nobama »

halo is understatement gotta love the big c me float...
HShockeywatcher

Re: Cadets16

Post by HShockeywatcher »

hockeyoldtimer wrote:Have seen Tommy miss many "perfect" passes by Versich over the years and no one blamed him of losing the game or failing the team. The halo over Novak is making me sick and I'm not even an STA fan. He isn't a one man team and has lots of good players around him. You win as a team, you lose as a team. I'd look at the powerplay. 4 short handed goals? Terrible.
While I haven't "seen Tommy miss many "perfect" passes by Versich over the years" (possibly since this is their second together), but I would say that in general the tendency is likely because of all the good they also see this person do.
When someone is your leading scorer, you know they will miss things here and there because they will be involved in more. When you have someone who has 'that one opportunity,' it is expected they capitalize on it.
I have never been a 'the kicker lost the game' kinda person and don't agree with this mentality, just explaining it as I see it.

How do you see this "halo" conveyed? I don't understand what you mean.
He definitely isn't a 1 man team; he has 10 more assists than the next guy on the team.

As to the game, you are totally right. For a team with as dominant a PP as they've had all year, allowed 4 goals on the PP is nuts. Didn't see the game, though, so I can't comment anymore than that.