Class A Rankings 1-26-14

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who should be the top seed in section 4A?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:03 am

Mahtomedi Zephyrs
37%
St Paul Academy Spartans
11%
Totino-Grace Eagles
53%

Total votes: 19

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 1-26-14

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:03 am

Well, another week with some upsets but mostly business as usual. Breck was one of those upsets and they won't get the top seed, but depending on who makes it to state, they could still get the 2 seed. With 4 of the top 6 involved in key match ups this week, things could get changed up quite a bit for next week, or they could be solidified how they are.

Feedback and input are always appreciated. Enjoy!

1. East Grand Forks (16-2-1)
Can’t ask for much more than a section win, a Grand Forks win and a win over Moorhead all in one week. The Green Wave tied Warroad when they were at home, can they pull out the win on the road?
This week: Tues vs Crookston, Thurs @ Kittson Central, Sat @ Warroad

2. Warroad (17-2-1)
The Warriors pick up a section win and a couple wins over Duluth opponents. With two home games on the docket this week, they can secure the #1 seed in section play.
This week: Tues vs Roseau, Sat vs East Grand Forks

3. Hermantown (15-3)
The Hawks did lose to WBL at home but traveled well and beat New Prague on the road. They have a conference game followed by a home game possibly important for state seeding.
This week: Thurs @ Cloquet, Sat vs Totino-Grace

4. Duluth Marshall (12-7-1)
The Hilltoppers lose to Warroad by a similar score that they lost to Hermantown proving there is little they can do to rise any higher and followed that up by shutting out TRF. With 2 section games this week, the Hilltoppers will likely be one step closer to securing the 2 seed in the section.
This week: Thurs @ Denfeld, Sat vs Eveleth

5. Cathedral (13-6)
With the win over Totino-Grace, the Crusaders finally jump back above a New Prague team they have previously beaten. Despite beaten by the top 3, Breck and two lesser section opponents, this team has shown they will play up or down, but have some good defense. With two remaining important games against Apollo and Marshall, they have to get by Delano this week first.
This week: Tues vs Delano, Fri vs Little Falls

6. Totino-Grace (9-7-1)
In an up and down week, the Eagles beat Breck and follow that up with a loss to Cathedral. With two away games this week, they have the opportunity to rise a few spots next week as well as set themselves up for a top seed at state.
This week: Tues @ St Louis Park, Sat @ Hermantown

7. Breck (13-5-1)
I would’ve never predicted the Mustangs would be this low, but with their recent fall, which includes losses to 2 of the 3 teams directly above them, it hard to have them higher. With conference games to finish the regular season and Blake and St Paul Academy their biggest opponents, they probably won’t rise. The silver lining is that they have beaten a good St Thomas team twice and have shut out the #1 team, so depending on who makes it to state, they could still be seeded well and no one would be surprised to see their next loss come next season.
This week: Tues @ St Paul Como Park, Sat @ Minneapolis

8. New Prague (13-3-3)
The Trojans are undefeated in conference play, but is Farmington. The home match up ended in a tie the first time around, how will they do on the road?
This week: Tues @ Farmington, Thurs vs Shakopee

9. Mankato West (16-2)
The Scarlets continue to win, scoring a lot and allowing a few. This is a team many would like to see at the X and with their top 5 scorers being seniors, this would be the year to do it. They will likely pick up another 9 wins before their rematch with New Prague.
This week: Thurs @ Faribault, Sat vs Rochester John Marshall

10. St Paul Academy (12-5)
Many seem to think the Spartans will be the 3 seed in their section and with Totino’s recent win over Breck, there’s a good chance they won’t be the top seed. With 3 conference games this week, beating a Blake team on the road they previously lost to would be a good start. For the sake of their seeding, hopefully a week from now they have 15 wins and we can look forward to their game with Breck.
This week: Tues @ Blake, Thurs vs St Paul Johnson, Sat @ Minnehaha Academy

11. Alexandria (12-3-3)
The Cardinals pick up ties on the road against the AA opponents last week and play two section opponents this week. The top seed in the section is likely out of reach, but they need to win this week and beat Apollo next week to hold onto the 2 seed.
This week: Tues vs Willmar, Thurs @ Sauk Rapids-Rice

12. Orono (14-5)
The Spartans had a win over Delano 2 weeks ago and the rematch is this week on the road. How will they do on the road?
This week: Tues @ Waconia, Sat @ Delano

13. Luverne (18-0-1)
I never thought I’d see this rise happen, but Mahtomedi got shut out by a team that the Cardinals beat 5-2. With 5 of their remaining 6 games on the road, hopefully this team is ready for the X. Like West, there are many looking forward to seeing what they can do.
This week: Tues @ Worthington, Sat @ Dodge County

14. Thief River Falls (10-7)
The Prowlers only picked up one win, but that win was on the road and by a wide margin against Denfeld. While Marshall shut them out, they only lost to East Grand Forks by 1 goal. After they pick up 2 section wins, this teams has 4 games next week.
This week: Tues vs Lake of the Woods, Thurs @ Crookston

15. Bloomington Kennedy(8-10-1)
With losses to both Orono and Luverne this season, they won’t get ranked any higher, but despite 10 losses this season, the other 8 were to AA teams. Picking up a win over Jefferson, the Eagles win 3 in a row. Despite their current conference, there is actually a good chance they win 5 of their last 6. If they do so, they’d have a good case for the 3 seed in section 2A.
This week: Tues @ Champlin Park, Sat @ Rosemount

Teams to watch:

St Cloud Apollo (11-8]
Despite their ups and downs, the top seed in the section is still technically in their control. They should pick up two wins on the road this week before playing both Alex and Cathedral on the road next week. After seeing them at the X last year, it would be great to see them again.
This week: Tues @ River Lakes, Thurs @ Willmar

Mahtomedi (9-9)
Obviously a battle tested team, but when you get shut out by Spring Lake Park it’s hard to not fall. My guess is that they have lost any shot of the top seed in the section and if St Paul Academy only loses to Breck, the Zephyrs may end up being the 3 seed.
This week: Thurs vs Rogers, Sat @ Henry Sibley

Delano (10-7-1)
The Tigers’ 7 losses are to Breck, St Louis Park, Kennedy, Notre Dame, Superior, Orono and Holy Family. While one of those is not great, it was early and the rest are respectable. They can only hope to finish strong and get the 3 seed in the section.
This week: Tues @ Cathedral, Thurs @ Hutchinson, Sat vs Orono

Virginia (14-5-1)
The Blue Devils haven’t played much competition, but have won their last 7 games. I doubt they can hold off Rapids, but a win in Superior would be huge. With a game against Marshall next week, the 2 seed is still theirs to lose.
This week: Tues vs Grand Rapids, Thurs @ Superior

Kittson Central (13-3-1)
While the Bearcats probably won’t score too many goals in the semifinals, it looks like they may get there. I do not expect them to score much on Thursday, but they have already beaten Crookston and winning on Saturday should secure the 4 seed in section 8A. Kittson Central is top 5 Class A in goals scored, goal allowed and goal differential.
This week: Mon @ Crookston, Thurs vs East Grand Forks, Sat vs Park Rapids

Section Rankings
1A
#1 New Prague
#2 Mankato West

2A
#1 Breck
#2 Orono
#3 Chaska
#4 Kennedy
#5 Delano
#6 St Louis Park

3A
#1 Luverne
#2 Willmar
#3 New Ulm
#4 Hutchinson

4A
#1 Totino-Grace
#2 St Paul Academy
#3 Mahtomedi

5A
#1 Chisago Lakes
#2 Spring Lake Park
#3 Princeton

6A
#1 Cathedral
#2 Alexandria
#3 Apollo
#4 Sartell-St Stephen
#5 Sauk Rapids-Rice

7A
#1 Hermantown
#2 Duluth Marshall
#3 Virginia
#4 Denfeld
#5 Hibbing

8A
#1 East Grand Forks
#2 Warroad
#3 Thief River Falls

If the top seeds all made it to state:
#1 Hermantown
#2 Breck
#3 East Grand Forks
#4 Cathedral
#5 Totino-Grace
New Prague
Luverne
Chisago Lakes

If nothing changes, with the teams 2-5 here having beaten each other, it is difficult to see how Hermantown would not be above that mess. However, there are still important games to be played, at least 1 of these may not be the top seed and all the top seeds rarely make it to state, it’s just fun to speculate.

clean ice

Post by clean ice » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:14 pm

What amazes me this season is the lack of consistency of all the top ten + teams. Is it going to be 1 or 10 that wins state this year.

rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:12 pm

clean ice wrote:What amazes me this season is the lack of consistency of all the top ten + teams. Is it going to be 1 or 10 that wins state this year.
13!!
:lol:

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:56 pm

rollCARDSroll wrote:
clean ice wrote:What amazes me this season is the lack of consistency of all the top ten + teams. Is it going to be 1 or 10 that wins state this year.
13!!
:lol:
Wouldn't that be fun.

But I am thinking EGF/Warroad
OR
Hermantown/DMarshall

upnorthfan

Post by upnorthfan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:18 pm

This is a year that I wish Warroad played a little more difficult schedule to see if they are really good or just good. They have not played a top 20 AA team. They have tied EGF and defeated Marshall, a couple of quality teams, but I think the jury is still out if their lack of depth can compete with the better teams in the state? I hope to take in both of their games this week, against Roseau and EGF. I bet their first line can really wheel and deal with the extra space on the large home ice sheet!

BP

Post by BP » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:40 pm

HSHockeyWatcher......what is your projected section rankings for Section 2 and 4?

mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:44 pm

upnorthfan wrote:This is a year that I wish Warroad played a little more difficult schedule to see if they are really good or just good. They have not played a top 20 AA team. They have tied EGF and defeated Marshall, a couple of quality teams, but I think the jury is still out if their lack of depth can compete with the better teams in the state? I hope to take in both of their games this week, against Roseau and EGF. I bet their first line can really wheel and deal with the extra space on the large home ice sheet!
Agree with the schedule piece to an extent, would be cool to see them drop Denfeld and add someone like Hermantown to go along with Marshall each year!

They also have beaten some pretty good A teams in TRF (#9), Cathedral (#11), and Virginia (#19).

As for top 20 AA teams, depending if you go by LPH or the rankings on here, you could argue that Moorhead and Roseau are top 20 teams (both have been beaten by Warroad), yet they did lose to Grand Rapids early in the year (#12 in LPH). Also interesting to note that Roseau has now beaten HFC (a new top 10 AA team), and Moorhead has wins over Minnetonka and Breck.

To be honest though, their depth could come back to haunt them, as there haven't been many teams in recent memory to go all the way while relying on so few players.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:56 pm

BP wrote:HSHockeyWatcher......what is your projected section rankings for Section 2 and 4?
They are both posted.

2 ultimately depends on coach's opinions, but what I have posted is based solely on results on paper.

4 also depends on coach's opinions, many of which will be from actually playing them. But I think Mahtomedi's recent shut out loss puts them at 3, maybe even 4, and Totino's recent win over Breck puts them at 1, unless SPA also beats Breck and doesn't lose again. Then it'd be close, but since Totino has the head to head win, I'd say it'll be Totino's.

BP

Post by BP » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:45 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:
BP wrote:HSHockeyWatcher......what is your projected section rankings for Section 2 and 4?
They are both posted.

2 ultimately depends on coach's opinions, but what I have posted is based solely on results on paper.

4 also depends on coach's opinions, many of which will be from actually playing them. But I think Mahtomedi's recent shut out loss puts them at 3, maybe even 4, and Totino's recent win over Breck puts them at 1, unless SPA also beats Breck and doesn't lose again. Then it'd be close, but since Totino has the head to head win, I'd say it'll be Totino's.

Meant from top to bottom (all teams)

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:03 am

2A
#1 Breck
#2 Orono
#3 Chaska
#4 Kennedy
#5 Delano
#6 St Louis Park
#7 Blake
#8 Minneapolis
#9 Mound
10 Waconia
11 Richfield

4A
#1 Totino-Grace
#2 St Paul Academy
#3 Mahtomedi
#4 Achiever
#5 SSP
#6 Simley
#7 Minnehaha
#8 Como Park
#9 Johnson
10 Sibley
11 Highland

2A should be pretty close to what I have there. Their wins/losses work pretty well to put it all in order. 4A should be pretty close but there are teams that don't play each other in the middle.
It is worth noting that there are 3 teams in 2A with a winning record and 4 in 4A. Which is ultimately why I post them as far as I do. I post the teams that have a [realistic] shot of being in the final.

HockeyBum

State Tourney Weakness

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:20 pm

If we based the tourney today on Section ranking and took the top team out of each section to make up the tourney brackets it shows a said thing for 3 teams.

Of the top 9 ranked teams they all come from 6 sections. This means 3 of the teams will not be at state. # 1 or #2, #3 or #4 or #8 or #9. These 3 teams will have to play off to see who attends state. What was the HS league thinking of when they weakened section 5A and left 3A alone. I believe traditional state power houses should be spread out over all sections. This way all teams have to compete a top team to get to state.

Even better yet the 8 teams who go to state should be power ranked into a bracket that could result in all top 8 ranked teams be able to make the 8 team state brackets. Get rid of Sections completely. Make it so the top 8 ranked teams at the end of the year would not have to play each other but if a Cinderella team was able to beat them so be it.

This would providew one of the best state tourneys based on strength. It would also force teams to strengthen their schedules and not think an undefeated season means you good...

upnorthfan

Post by upnorthfan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Win your section and then win state. Often times, section tournaments may be tougher than the state tournament for a given team. That is why section tournaments are well attended and exciting. This is still a state high school event. I don't believe if 8 metro teams happened to be ranked 1 thru 8, it would make for a very exciting "state" tournament.

hockeydad

Post by hockeydad » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:43 pm

upnorthfan wrote:Win your section and then win state. Often times, section tournaments may be tougher than the state tournament for a given team. That is why section tournaments are well attended and exciting. This is still a state high school event. I don't believe if 8 metro teams happened to be ranked 1 thru 8, it would make for a very exciting "state" tournament.
Well said.

Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:19 pm

[quote="upnorthfan"]Win your section and then win state. Often times, section tournaments may be tougher than the state tournament for a given team. That is why section tournaments are well attended and exciting. This is still a state high school event. I don't believe if 8 metro teams happened to be ranked 1 thru 8, it would make for a very exciting "state" tournament.[/quote]

Very true, I think this scenario with the all metro teams might happen more at the AA level than A level. If this were the set up we could quite possibly see only 2 or 3 metro schools in the tournament with the rest being outstate.

frozenponds

Re: Class A Rankings 1-26-14

Post by frozenponds » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:11 am

[quote="HShockeywatcher"]

Teams to Watch

Kittson Central (13-3-1)

While the Bearcats probably won’t score too many goals in the semifinals, it looks like they may get there. I do not expect them to score much on Thursday, but they have already beaten Crookston and winning on Saturday should secure the 4 seed in section 8A. Kittson Central is top 5 Class A in goals scored, goal allowed and goal differential.

Park Rapids (11-3-3)
Not a team that is likely to make any noise, they have a good shot at being a top 4 seed in section 8A. With 3 of their skaters with 15 or more points not seniors, it’ll be interesting to see if they can continue the winning into future seasons.

[/quote]

The teams to watch in Section 8 having a hard time with Crookston. Not sure how PR can be a team to watch with ties with Greeenway and Red Lake falls and KCC losses to Detroit Lakes and Lake of the Woods. Crookston might not have the record but a dangerous team with Heppner on all full cylinders and a netminder that can be there for them. With that said, I think the top 6 teams in the tough section 8 could handle some of those #1 seeds in the south.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:28 am

frozenponds wrote:
The teams to watch in Section 8 having a hard time with Crookston. Not sure how PR can be a team to watch with ties with Greeenway and Red Lake falls and KCC losses to Detroit Lakes and Lake of the Woods. Crookston might not have the record but a dangerous team with Heppner on all full cylinders and a netminder that can be there for them. With that said, I think the top 6 teams in the tough section 8 could handle some of those #1 seeds in the south.
You are aware that Crookston lost to Kittson Central 5-1 in December, right?

I use this section at this point in the season as an opportunity to showcase some teams with good records in addition to the teams that could sneak into a section semifinal game, like the other 4 mentioned.

Are you referring to Chisago/Luverne or New Prague?

frozenponds

Post by frozenponds » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:05 am

[quote="HShockeywatcher"]

You are aware that Crookston lost to Kittson Central 5-1 in December, right?

I use this section at this point in the season as an opportunity to showcase some teams with good records in addition to the teams that could sneak into a section semifinal game, like the other 4 mentioned.

Are you referring to Chisago/Luverne or New Prague?[/quote]

Yes, aware of Crookston's loss to KCC earlier in the year and aware of Detroit Lakes loss up in Hallock. But something has to be said about Crookston when they beat PR than tie KCC.

Yes, referring to Chisago/Luvern and New Prague. Prairie Central is about the only team to use as a means of measuring.

urban iceman

Post by urban iceman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:45 am

frozenponds wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

Teams to Watch

Kittson Central (13-3-1)

Park Rapids (11-3-3)
Not a team that is likely to make any noise, they have a good shot at being a top 4 seed in section 8A. With 3 of their skaters with 15 or more points not seniors, it’ll be interesting to see if they can continue the winning into future seasons.

:lol: :roll:

hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:45 am

frozenponds wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

Teams to Watch

Kittson Central (13-3-1)

Park Rapids (11-3-3)
Yeah I agree that counting out Crookston would be a mistake. It would have been a sight to see if all of there players had stayed to play for them.. Paul bittner, Zach yon, and that EGF defenseman are all from Crookston. If those 3 had stayed, I think they would have been the favorites in 8A

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:52 am

I apologize for mentioning a team with a very good record that no one has said anything about this season. I won't mention them again 8)
frozenponds wrote:Yes, referring to Chisago/Luvern and New Prague. Prairie Central is about the only team to use as a means of measuring.
I highly doubt they were be competitive with Luverne or New Prague.

Park Rapids wasn't mentioned this week because of the loss and Kittson Central won't be next week, don't worry.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:34 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:I apologize for mentioning a team with a very good record that no one has said anything about this season. I won't mention them again 8)

I highly doubt they were be competitive with Luverne or New Prague.

Park Rapids wasn't mentioned this week because of the loss and Kittson Central won't be next week, don't worry.
Kittson over Morris 9-3.
Luverne over Morris 10-4 and 12-1

Park Rapids over Mankato East 8-0
Mankato West over Mankato East 9-1 and 12-1

These Section 8 teams may not beat Luverne, Mankato West (and New Prague); but yes they would be competitive with them.

Deathblow

Post by Deathblow » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:04 pm

hockey9011 wrote:
Yeah I agree that counting out Crookston would be a mistake. It would have been a sight to see if all of there players had stayed to play for them.. Paul bittner, Zach yon, and that EGF defenseman are all from Crookston. If those 3 had stayed, I think they would have been the favorites in 8A
Even with those three, I think Crookston would be, at best, fourth in the section, rather than fifth or sixth, as they are this year. Those players certainly wouldn't be worth ten wins. They have the depth of Warroad, but without the top end talent. Their sophomores are fairly talented, and in a couple of years, they could be a team to be reckoned with.

hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Yeah i definitely said that wrong. I more meant that they could compete with the big three (EGF, Warroad, TRF).. Yon paired with heppner would be very dangerous as a top line

hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:08 pm

Crookston tied with EGF 1-1 after the first period.

OU812

Post by OU812 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:54 pm

3-1 final EGF over Crookston.

Mankato West 5
Roch Lourdes 1

Shots 36-11 West