Training Facilities

Please post all discussion of these items to this forum.

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

CrossXbar

Training Facilities

Post by CrossXbar » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:04 pm

Hey there everyone, I am new to the site and am looking for some insight on some training facilities in the metro here. Some of the most popular options I have heard about/interested in are :

- 1st athlete
- Velocity
- Fhit
- E>Train
- Total Hockey

Any information or recommendations would be much appreciated!!

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:24 pm

are you refering to off-ice only?

combo?

on-ice?

I would suggest part-time a couple a year until you find the proper match for your kid and your checkbook. There is no magic program out there that works for every kid.

I had one kid spend 6 years in MAP, the other prefers a less strutured environment to allow for more golf.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

Sam David

Post by Sam David » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:36 am

The ones I'm aware of:
-1st Athlete Edina
-Velocity Edina
-Fhit/Maps Blaine/St Paul
-E>Train Bloomington
-Total Hockey Lakeville
-Acceleration Arden Hills and Plymouth
-Explosive Edge Edina
-Competitive Edge @ Hat Trick

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:04 am

Our family hearts FHIT and Acceleration. Some interesting post-hs player run-ins at both. Our family does not heart 1st Athlete. That's the extent of our experience, good luck.

CrossXbar

Post by CrossXbar » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:30 pm

I'm looking to get more off-ice training. I've heard people raving about how the treadmill training has really helped their kids. I heard Velocity and 1st athlete have great facilities but have heard knocks on their training. Still pondering this , thanks for some input though. ( Can always use more!!) :D

52cent

Post by 52cent » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Heard the same from people that have gone to 1st Athlete.

Opinions on the skating treadmill are varied. Some really like it but high end skating coaches I've talked to don't like it at all and say it creates bad habits.

Cross fit is great for many types of athletes including hockey players. That opens up many other facilities not included on your list.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:02 am

52cent wrote: Opinions on the skating treadmill are varied. Some really like it but high end skating coaches I've talked to don't like it at all and say it creates bad habits.
Agreed. One very high level skating coach feels they cause skaters to bend at the waist too much and chop their stride.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:39 am

Don't know if I agree with this based on the number of Gophers we have met on the treadmill.