Lake Conference

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

wolfman

Post by wolfman »

The state tourney should be the four best teams from section 6AA. Then Hill. Then EP or Edina. Then one of the Lakeville teams. The eighth team should be a wild card metro team picked by the section 6AA coaches. It's the only fair way to do it. :D
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

wolfman wrote:The state tourney should be the four best teams from section 6AA. Then Hill. Then EP or Edina. Then one of the Lakeville teams. The eighth team should be a wild card metro team picked by the section 6AA coaches. It's the only fair way to do it. :D
Finally someone who knows what they are talking about......well minus one of the lakeville teams, I'd say take both Edina and EP then we are talking.
RailingWizardofOZ

Post by RailingWizardofOZ »

There is no denying that the Lake Conference is very deep in talent, and some of the top teams in the MSHL. Being that we are also aware that these teams come from some of the largest areas in MN, I was curious to see exactly what the numbers are as well as the depth of their youth programs that could possibly be a related to this constant “dilemma” and or “epidemic” (yes this is sarcasm, but no offense intended).

Edina – HS enrollment 2529
9-U8/2 U10A, 2 U10B / 2 U12A, 2 U12B / 2 U14A, 1 U14B / 1 U19

Eden Prairie – HS enrollment 2854
15 Mites (girls teams not noted) / 1 U10A, 1 U10B / 1 U12A, 1 U12B / 1 U14A, 1 U14B / 1 U19

Hopkins – HS enrollment 2045
1 U8 / 1 U10B / 1 U12B / 1 U14A

Minnetonka – HS enrollment 2846
2 U6 / 4 U8 / 1 U10A, 2 U10B / 1 U12A, 2 U12B / 1 U14A, 1 U14B

Wayzata – HS enrollment 2979
2 U6 / 3 U8 Advanced / 4 mini mites, 10 advanced, 5 intermediate mites, 5 mite rookies / 1 U10A, 2 U10b / 1 U12A, 3 U12B / 2 U14A, 1 U14B / 1 U19

It appears that one of the unfortunate results to living in such booming communities so close together is that you are all lumped in the same conference and then a section which is similar as well. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending what side of the fence from this area you live and support) the MSHL will not change boundaries and sections. Yes it would be a VERY competitive State Tournament with all the top 8 teams in the State, however, the “State” still means just that.

We all know how challenging it is to appeal to the MSHL to make any changes, let alone the battle back in the day for two classes. The only changes that seem to be strongly considered are those that can bring a financial impact such as moving both class championship games back to back in order to fill the lower bowl at the X. Suggestions have been pitched for many years with probably the strongest being to re-seed teams prior to the section finals.

The current system is not the best, and again one I currently don’t 100% agree with. Until we can find a solution that can best represent what is best for all areas (in all sports) and “student/athletes” within, this is what we will have. The issues that face girls hockey is somewhat different then say football, but the issues caused by demographics are still consistent. If the top teams in MN were say all the private schools and that was the State Tournament, I am sure plenty would disagree with that as well. Would re-seeding prior to the section finals and create 4 regions be a better solution with the top 2 from each going to State?
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

It really has no impact on the sectional argument but Hopkins has no U14 teams and the U12 is a joint team with St Louis Park.

There are 4 girls on the Peewee A team (1 first year and 3 second year) and 1 of the second year players will most likely go to one of the private catholic schools on the west side. There are 3 Peewee teams all with low numbers.

There is 1 8th grader that gets regular minutes on the Varsity and another that is on the roster and gets some 4th line time.

The JV team has 2 7th graders (none that get Varsity time), 5 8th graders (1 that plays only Varsity and another that has gotten virtually no ice time in conference play but on the roster), and 10 Freshman (7 JV exclusively and 2 that get quality time on Varsity and the #1 backup goalie).

Hopkins, while in the Lake Conference is a fairly different program from a development and numbers standpoint than EP, the Hornet, Trojans, and Skippers.

There has definitely been some good games in conference play so far! It will be VERY interesting to see who makes it out of Section 6 and how they do in the State Tourney. Both the Hornet and EP both should make relatively easy work of their section unless injuries happen or there is a big upset in Section play (i.e. Hornet losing to Irondale in their Christmas tourney).
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

For interested fans, tomorrow morning at 10:00am the EP vs. Tonka "Hockey City Classic" oudoor game at TCF Bank Stadium will be streamed live on the Hub: www.mngirlshockeyhub.com

Article here: http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_ar ... _id=980516
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

With a 3-1 win against Edina today Eden Prairie set the table for Tuesday's Lake Conference championship game against Minnetonka on Tuesday. Last conference game of the season, winner take all, teams split in head-to-head. Couldn't be better if there was a script.
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

Rux wrote:EP looked unstoppable during their 4 game scrimmages today. Best 3 Starting D in the state.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

allhoc11 wrote:
Rux wrote:EP looked unstoppable during their 4 game scrimmages today. Best 3 Starting D in the state.
dinsni ci nwno wok? palen sine div, wan to voien!
panpan111

Post by panpan111 »

36Guy wrote:
allhoc11 wrote:
36....Please translate...
Congrats to the EP Girls....note to fathers...if my memory serves me correct...every time Rux, Lucky, etc. make one of these stupid comments the team usually goes into a bit of a tailspin. Good luck!
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

panpan111 wrote:
36Guy wrote:
allhoc11 wrote: :D :D :D :D :D :D
Congrats to the EP Girls....note to fathers...if my memory serves me correct...every time Rux, Lucky, etc. make one of these stupid comments the team usually goes into a bit of a tailspin. Good luck!
PanPan...doesn't mean anything, but I figured it made as much sense as Rux and Allhocs post!

Cangrats to EP on winning the lake, can't wait to see how February goes!
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

36Guy wrote:
panpan111 wrote:
36Guy wrote: dinsni ci nwno wok? palen sine div, wan to voien!
PanPan...doesn't mean anything, but I figured it made as much sense as
Rux and Allhocs post!

Congrats to EP on winning the lake, can't wait to see how February goes!

Translation: Conference Champ Banners are great! Section and State Champ Banners even better!!??
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

panpan111 wrote: ....note to fathers...if my memory serves me correct...every time Rux, Lucky, etc. make one of these stupid comments the team usually goes into a bit of a tailspin. Good luck!
Stating that the conference championship came down to an exciting final game finish must not have upset the hockey gods or lighting would have struck last night. I think I'm safe. Whew!
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

AAA Dad wrote:
36Guy wrote:
panpan111 wrote: 36....Please translate...
PanPan...doesn't mean anything, but I figured it made as much sense as
Rux and Allhocs post!

Congrats to EP on winning the lake, can't wait to see how February goes!

Translation: Conference Champ Banners are great! Section and State Champ Banners even better!!??
Perhaps...with Tonka's last two losses to EP and Hopkins some are predicting a fall. If you were at those two games you would feel differently. I truly feel that about 8 teams can win it all this year, which is great for girls hockey. However, all these "top" teams will ultimately be judged by what happens at the Excel Energy Center.
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

Congrats to EP! It was really fun to watch these teams go after winning the confernce this year. Almost every game was close and watching the kids come off the ice after every shift you could see they gave everything they had. Playoff atmosphere and games with a goalie pulled at the end, that is what hockey should be.

Very entertaining season to say the least, as only 2 of the 5 can move on (and thats not easy in itself) regardless of what happens at the X its been a great year in the Lake. I think to date there are only about 6 losses out of confernce for all of the teams and a couple of those were when Edina's #7 and Tonka's #8 were at USA camp. You can say what you want about the size of schools or programs that is still pretty good stuff. Whatever happens to finish off the season and in the playoffs this was a fun year to spectate and hats off to EP on a well earned championship.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

For those who might have missed it in the Striband on the Hub:

Eden Prairie rules the Lake

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_ar ... _id=980516
Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 »

Somewhat surprised EP won the Lake given their non-conference struggles.
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

You have to credit Jaime Grossman. He tried a lot of different things before Jan. 1, and the girls got a lot of experience in different situations, then things locked down and the team started to roll. Apart from a tough Hopkins game and an outdoor game that was distracting, they've been as good as anyone. Remember the background - this group of EP girls have been champions on lots of levels in the past. I'm sure it will start a stream of sarcastic responses, but it is a shame that the whole conference can't play for the title in St. Paul. You can't deny that it's the best and deepest conference going, and that there aren't many teams that could come in and compete like these 5 have. I can honestly think of two.
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

royals dad wrote:Congrats to EP! It was really fun to watch these teams go after winning the confernce this year. Almost every game was close and watching the kids come off the ice after every shift you could see they gave everything they had. Playoff atmosphere and games with a goalie pulled at the end, that is what hockey should be.

Very entertaining season to say the least, as only 2 of the 5 can move on (and thats not easy in itself) regardless of what happens at the X its been a great year in the Lake. I think to date there are only about 6 losses out of confernce for all of the teams and a couple of those were when Edina's #7 and Tonka's #8 were at USA camp. You can say what you want about the size of schools or programs that is still pretty good stuff. Whatever happens to finish off the season and in the playoffs this was a fun year to spectate and hats off to EP on a well earned championship.
Well said Royals dad......if things work out even close to expected it should be a fun section finals night with both section 2 & 6 AA playing at ridder. That night has the potential to have some of the best games in the state being played in the best women's venue in the state, should be a fantastic night for the girls game!