Section 8A Seeding projections ?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

RRubberbeeskit

Section 8A Seeding projections ?

Post by RRubberbeeskit » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:28 pm

What are the projections for Sec 8A after EGF woops up on Warroad tonight? It appears as though EGF and Warroad will likely be seeded 1 and 2. How do the rest stack up in the section. TRF 3 Kittson Co. 4 Park Rapids 5 DL 6 Crookston 7 and ? 8 What do you all think?
Sec 8A has a very respectable win loss record amongst its top 5 teams. Got give a shout out to Kittson County Central and Park Rapids on having successful seasons. Too bad they can't battle down in Sec.3A for a shot at state, however they do battle amongst the best in the state in Sec 8A for a shot at state.

Best of Luck to all as the playoffs approach!

notTONIGHT

Re: Section 8A Seeding projections ?

Post by notTONIGHT » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:36 pm

RRubberbeeskit wrote:What are the projections for Sec 8A after EGF woops up on Warroad tonight? It appears as though EGF and Warroad will likely be seeded 1 and 2. How do the rest stack up in the section. TRF 3 Kittson Co. 4 Park Rapids 5 DL 6 Crookston 7 and ? 8 What do you all think?
Sec 8A has a very respectable win loss record amongst its top 5 teams. Got give a shout out to Kittson County Central and Park Rapids on having successful seasons. Too bad they can't battle down in Sec.3A for a shot at state, however they do battle amongst the best in the state in Sec 8A for a shot at state.

Yeah, they could finish second in 3A, which i guess would be an improvement...

\:D/ \:D/

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:56 pm

Honestly

Section 5A is no better then 3A.

RRubberbeeskit

Re: Section 8A Seeding projections ?

Post by RRubberbeeskit » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:20 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:
RRubberbeeskit wrote:What are the projections for Sec 8A after EGF woops up on Warroad tonight? It appears as though EGF and Warroad will likely be seeded 1 and 2. How do the rest stack up in the section. TRF 3 Kittson Co. 4 Park Rapids 5 DL 6 Crookston 7 and ? 8 What do you all think?

Yeah, they could finish second in 3A, which i guess would be an improvement...
Oh Yea the Powerhouse Cards are down there awaiting another early exit come playoffs but would possibly pose a challenge to Kittson Co. Or Park Rapids had they played in 3A. Remember notToo? we are talking about 8A Battle tested talent here not 3A tested. These are 2 very solid teams. Oops I got off topic now where was I ? Oh yea 8A seedings. What do ya think?

\:D/ \:D/

RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:11 am

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Honestly

Section 5A is no better then 3A.
3A you are right 5A is not what it was last year they certainly have dropped off. I would likely give the edge to Sec 3A but I am not certain of the overall talent edge. Luverne certainly appears to be stacked. Wish they had played some 6,7 or 8A top 3 teams this year to get a better feel for them overall.

ted2you

seeding

Post by ted2you » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:52 am

1. EGF
2. Warroad
3. TRF
4. Croookston
5. KCC

With EGF win over Bemidji, they lock #1 and if TRF beats both Warroad and EGF they still can't jump Warroad. Crookston did lose to KCC but they have played a better schedule, but I could see 4-5 swapping spots.

curtiscurve

Re: seeding

Post by curtiscurve » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:19 pm

ted2you wrote:1. EGF
2. Warroad
3. TRF
4. Croookston
5. KCC

With EGF win over Bemidji, they lock #1 and if TRF beats both Warroad and EGF they still can't jump Warroad. Crookston did lose to KCC but they have played a better schedule, but I could see 4-5 swapping spots.
I don't see any sceniaro where Crookston is anything higher than a 5 seed. In fact, if Park Rapids beats DL on Feb. 11, I believe Crookston will be the 7 seed. As of now though, this is where I see the seedings at.

1- EGF
2- Warroad
3- TRF
4- Kittson
5- Detroit Lakes
6- Crookston
7- Park Rapids
8- LOTW
9- RLF
10- Bagley

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:38 pm

curtiscurve wrote:
2. Warroad
3. TRF
4. Croookston
5. KCC

I don't see any sceniaro where Crookston is anything higher than a 5 seed. In fact, if Park Rapids beats DL on Feb. 11, I believe Crookston will be the 7 seed. As of now though, this is where I see the seedings at.

1- EGF
2- Warroad
3- TRF
4- Kittson
5- Detroit Lakes
6- Crookston
7- Park Rapids
8- LOTW
9- RLF
10- Bagley
4 to 7 seeding in Section 8A is a lot like the top 4 seedings in several other sections with Team A beating Team B beating Team C beating Team D beating Team A. It would not surprise me to see any one of the four teams getting the 4 seed based on what has happened right now.
the last few games for all will probably weigh heavy in their favor or against them.

Little matter in that EGF looks to be the best team in the state, perhaps for both AA and A.
It would be nice to see Warroad and TRF at state but the weaker sections get to participate and that is why we call it 'state'.

ted2you

playoff hockey

Post by ted2you » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:17 pm

I agree that there is a huge drop off after the top three and outside of them it is just a matter of when your season ends in sectionals. But things can get weird in hockey or single elimination. a goalie can stand on his head and make 50 saves or a team can score on their 6 first shots. I do agree EGF is the best team in the state, they dominate the game so much defensively and since the return of Dixon Bowen they have had a much more dynamic offense. I don't think its outlandish to suggest they might be the best AA or A. The real issue is how you get there, I think EGF will play Warroad in the section finals. but Warroad is no lock to beat TRF and EGF would be no lock to beat Warroad. Being the best team is fine but it will soon be the time for single elimination. Everyone would agree they would like the best team to win (perhaps unless your favorite isn't necessarily the best team). Its almost time to let the fun begin.

a

woodstick

Post by woodstick » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:39 pm

2. Warroad
3. TRF
4. Croookston
5. KCC

TRF beats Warroad last night. If TRF wins the rest of their games (RLF, MHD, EGF and BEM), would they not get the #1 seed? EGF 2 and WAR 3?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:58 pm

woodstick wrote:
2. Warroad
3. TRF
4. Croookston
5. KCC

TRF beats Warroad last night. If TRF wins the rest of their games (RLF, MHD, EGF and BEM), would they not get the #1 seed? EGF 2 and WAR 3?
They won't win the games.
Four games, 3 of which are tough to speculate.
TRf may argue for the #2 spot.
EGF is going to state.

MHO.

:D

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:03 pm

elliott70 wrote:
woodstick wrote:
2. Warroad
3. TRF
4. Croookston
5. KCC

They won't win the games.
Four games, 3 of which are tough to speculate.
TRf may argue for the #2 spot.
EGF is going to state.

MHO.

:D
Nothing like having two UMD recruits to make me pull for Warroad.

Never thought I'd see that day.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:17 pm

I don't care for either egf or Warroad, at all, but of the two, at least egf is playing with home grown talent (or am I mistaken ?).

Of course, the bs they pulled in the fall 2012 elite league team blackens their eye a bit, for me. (basically an egf practice season, players, coach (not supposed to be allowed) and all)

ted2you

trf

Post by ted2you » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Let me see if I get this logic, Assuming TRF could beat both EGF and Moorhead, you would also have to assume EGF would lose to Roseau as well. Then EGF would be 20-4-1 and TRF would be 17-8. They have split with Warroad, while EGF has a game a win and a tie against Warroad. At best TRF pushes with EGF head-to-head and if they run the table have 4 more losses. Warroad didn't destroy a team that beat Marshall, they beat Marshall. TRF could win the rest of their games and the have NO chance catching Warroad, let alone EGF. I do feel bad for TRF, they are a team worthy of going to State and would represent themselves well. Who knows, while I think its unlikely they could well get to the X. But I could make a hundred different cases for why they don't get past 3 seed. The sad truth is that this year they play in the wrong section and to get there they will have to beat both Warroad and EGF

Deathblow

Post by Deathblow » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:37 pm

puckbreath wrote:I don't care for either egf or Warroad, at all, but of the two, at least egf is playing with home grown talent (or am I mistaken ?).
I think two players came into the program in PeeWees. I think the rest are Squirts or earlier.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:38 pm

Deathblow wrote:
puckbreath wrote:I don't care for either egf or Warroad, at all, but of the two, at least egf is playing with home grown talent (or am I mistaken ?).
I think two players came into the program in PeeWees. I think the rest are Squirts or earlier.
Thanks for the info.

TTpuckster

Re: trf

Post by TTpuckster » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:07 pm

ted2you wrote:Let me see if I get this logic, Assuming TRF could beat both EGF and Moorhead, you would also have to assume EGF would lose to Roseau as well. Then EGF would be 20-4-1 and TRF would be 17-8. They have split with Warroad, while EGF has a game a win and a tie against Warroad. At best TRF pushes with EGF head-to-head and if they run the table have 4 more losses. Warroad didn't destroy a team that beat Marshall, they beat Marshall. TRF could win the rest of their games and the have NO chance catching Warroad, let alone EGF. I do feel bad for TRF, they are a team worthy of going to State and would represent themselves well. Who knows, while I think its unlikely they could well get to the X. But I could make a hundred different cases for why they don't get past 3 seed. The sad truth is that this year they play in the wrong section and to get there they will have to beat both Warroad and EGF
I understand what you're saying, but, Warroad, TRF, and EGF are the big three in the section and almost always are. Once in a while a LOW team or a Crookston team shows up. So the big 3 have played each other a lot in either the semis or the final.
I would not put in past TRF to run the table. You just never know with these 3 team.
What is a Green Wave anyway?

ted2you

Top three

Post by ted2you » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 pm

If you read my post, I didn't rule out TRF winning the section. I simply ruled out that they can get the #1 seed. That means beating both Warroad and EGF. Unless they are going to score on 5 or six of the 12 shots they got last game they had better figure out how to get some rubber past EGF's Defense. They did that last year scoring on nearly their first six shots. TRF is a very good hockey team.

Flin Flon

Post by Flin Flon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:26 pm

NON Section games mean nothing when it comes down to ranking coaches look at section games only.. So even if EGF loses to Roseau and TRF wins out their is no way TRF gets #1 seed even if they beat EGF by 5..

curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:56 pm

There are some big games to determine seeds 4-7 coming up. This is how I see things playing out (results of remaining games and seedings)

1 - East Grand Forks - 2 games left against Roseau and Thief. I believe in this team and think they will win those games bringing them to 22-2-1 overall (8-0-1 in 8A)
2 - Warroad - They have 1 game left on the schedule (LOW) which will be a win and puts them at 20-4-1 on the season (5-2-1 in 8A)
3 - Thief River Falls - 4 games remaining (RLF, Moorhead, EGF and Bemidji). I think they will beat RLF and Bemidji which will put them at 15-10 (6-3 in 8A).
4 - Kittson Central - The big game remaining is the one in Park Rapids. I believe they will win that game and lock themselves in as the 4 seed. They will win out (3 more games) and finish with a 17-4-2 record (8-4-1 in 8A).
5 - Park Rapids - I have them at 5 because I see them beating DL again which (including the loss I see to Kittson) brings their record to 16-6-3 (7-5-2 in 8A)
6- Detroit Lakes - 2 games left on the schedule with the big one being against Park Rapids. I predict they lose that game and then lose to Little Falls in a meaningless ender. That will put them at 14-9-1 (4-4 in 8A).
7 - Crookston - 3 games remaining (LOW, RLF, Roseau). Should go 2-1 in those 3 games leaving them with a 7-15-3 overall record (4-8-2 in 8A). Too many losses to the teams ahead of them without enough quality wins to balance it out.
8 - Lake of the Woods - THey have 3 games left (Crookston, Greenway, Warroad) and will likely win 1 of the 3 bringing them to 6-16-3 (3-8-2 In 8A)
9 - Red Lake Falls - 4 left (TRF, Wadena, Crookston, Breckenridge). Will likely go 2-2 and finish 11-11-3 (2-7-3 in 8A)
10 - Bagley-Fosston - 2 games remaining and I don;'t see them winning either one. They will finish 2-20 (0-9 in 8A)

If it comes down to Warroad vs East Grand Forks, it will be a classic Offense vs Defense battle. I think Warroad is the only team that can knock off EGF at this point (Sorry Thief fans). Either one will compete for the title in St. Paul and in my mind be the favorite going in. I am predicting an upset with Warroad coming out of the section and they would be my pick at state as well. Should be fun!

Prowlerhockey

Post by Prowlerhockey » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:07 am

Flin Flon wrote:NON Section games mean nothing when it comes down to ranking coaches look at section games only.. So even if EGF loses to Roseau and TRF wins out their is no way TRF gets #1 seed even if they beat EGF by 5..
completely agree, at best TRF could argue with Warroad for #2 seed if TRF beats EGF. With Warroad tying once and losing once to EGF, and TRF would have a loss and a win against EGF. I would think they would have an Argument with Warroad for the #2 seed. #1 seed is out of the question for TRF.

curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:10 pm

curtiscurve wrote:There are some big games to determine seeds 4-7 coming up. This is how I see things playing out (results of remaining games and seedings)

1 - East Grand Forks - 2 games left against Roseau and Thief. I believe in this team and think they will win those games bringing them to 22-2-1 overall (8-0-1 in 8A)
2 - Warroad - They have 1 game left on the schedule (LOW) which will be a win and puts them at 20-4-1 on the season (5-2-1 in 8A)
3 - Thief River Falls - 4 games remaining (RLF, Moorhead, EGF and Bemidji). I think they will beat RLF and Bemidji which will put them at 15-10 (6-3 in 8A).
4 - Kittson Central - The big game remaining is the one in Park Rapids. I believe they will win that game and lock themselves in as the 4 seed. They will win out (3 more games) and finish with a 17-4-2 record (8-4-1 in 8A).
5 - Park Rapids - I have them at 5 because I see them beating DL again which (including the loss I see to Kittson) brings their record to 16-6-3 (7-5-2 in 8A)
6- Detroit Lakes - 2 games left on the schedule with the big one being against Park Rapids. I predict they lose that game and then lose to Little Falls in a meaningless ender. That will put them at 14-9-1 (4-4 in 8A).
7 - Crookston - 3 games remaining (LOW, RLF, Roseau). Should go 2-1 in those 3 games leaving them with a 7-15-3 overall record (4-8-2 in 8A). Too many losses to the teams ahead of them without enough quality wins to balance it out.
8 - Lake of the Woods - THey have 3 games left (Crookston, Greenway, Warroad) and will likely win 1 of the 3 bringing them to 6-16-3 (3-8-2 In 8A)
9 - Red Lake Falls - 4 left (TRF, Wadena, Crookston, Breckenridge). Will likely go 2-2 and finish 11-11-3 (2-7-3 in 8A)
10 - Bagley-Fosston - 2 games remaining and I don;'t see them winning either one. They will finish 2-20 (0-9 in 8A)

If it comes down to Warroad vs East Grand Forks, it will be a classic Offense vs Defense battle. I think Warroad is the only team that can knock off EGF at this point (Sorry Thief fans). Either one will compete for the title in St. Paul and in my mind be the favorite going in. I am predicting an upset with Warroad coming out of the section and they would be my pick at state as well. Should be fun!
Well I swung and missed on the Kittson vs Park Rapids game. I would say that the winner of the PR/DL game will get the 4 seed, the loser of that game getting the 5 and Kittson falls to the 6 seed. Regardless, I think Kittson is having a nice year. Is this trend or mirage for Kittson? Its nice to see them competitive again.

RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:23 am

curtiscurve wrote:
curtiscurve wrote:There are some big games to determine seeds 4-7 coming up. This is how I see things playing out (results of remaining games and seedings)

Well I swung and missed on the Kittson vs Park Rapids game. I would say that the winner of the PR/DL game will get the 4 seed, the loser of that game getting the 5 and Kittson falls to the 6 seed. Regardless, I think Kittson is having a nice year. Is this trend or mirage for Kittson? Its nice to see them competitive again.
C Curve: KCC has some kids that I know of that have been extremely dedicated and worked very hard at getting better each off season for many years and it is showing in the Win/Loss column.
Being up in the far Northwest corner of the state also has its challenges with travel. Thanks to dedicated parents and grandparents these kids have been able to make it to many off season tournaments and camps.
Great job to all involved with the success of KCC these past few years.
Best of Luck in the playoffs to a truly small school with a big time game! \:D/