7A Rankings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

curtiscurve wrote:
HockeyStorm wrote:I think Denfeld's tie with Hermantown last night locks them in at the #2 seed. Winner of the Virginia/Marshall game will be the #3 seed, and loser #4.
I really do not think you can say a tie with H-Town gives Denfeld the #2. If Virginia can beat Marshall and Hibbing they will end with a 18-6-1 record with 0 section losses. That would lock them in at #2 in my mind. Denfeld is very dangerous and I would love to see them make it to the tournament, but that does not mean they deserve a higher seed.

1- Hermantown
2- Virginia MIB
3- Denfeld
4- Marshall
5- Hibbing
6- Eveleth-Gilbert
7- North Shore
8- International Falls
9- Greenway
10- Ely
If Marshall beats Virginia, Denfeld #2, Marshall #3, Virginia #4?? But then what if Denfeld loses to Rapids... Going to be a weird section meeting.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

Slow day at work...

Just to illustrate what a mess this is, here is a head-to-head comparison of the top 4 in 7A along with their games against Grand Rapids, Superior, and Cloquet. Looking at it with all these common opponents and mixed head-to-head results makes it even more cloudy.

As you can see, no one color dominates the map, not even in one specific column. Even though Cloquet hasn't won a game with any of these teams, the results with them have been quite similar down the line and this is a team that beat Duluth East. But it gets muddled up with mixed results among Grand Rapids and Superior, not to mention the mess within the head-to-head games.

A case can be made for anybody here, especially if Superior beats Hermantown. Virginia and Hermantown picked a bad year to remove their game from their schedules. Virginia could have a shot at the top seed if they were to win that game... and Hermantown could make it perfectly clear they are the top seed if they did.

Here are the games left that I think will still influence the seeding:

Duluth Marshall @ Virginia (probably the biggest one, tonight)
Hibbing @ Eveleth (for the 5/6 seed, tonight)

Superior @ Cloquet (just as a reference point, tomorrow night)

Denfeld @ Eveleth (for upsets sake, Monday night)

Grand Rapids @ Denfeld (Tuesday night)
Superior @ Hermantown (Tuesday night)
Virginia @ Hibbing (for upsets sake, Tuesday night)

The good new is in about six days, this will all be sorted out as best it can.
HockeyBum

Brackets

Post by HockeyBum »

How are the seedings bracketed out for 10 teams?

1- Hermantown
9- Greenway Winner of 9 & 10
10- Ely
5- Hibbing
6- Eveleth-Gilbert

3- Denfeld
4- Marshall

2- Virginia MIB
7- North Shore Winner of 7 & 8
8- International Falls
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Brackets

Post by east hockey »

HockeyBum wrote:How are the seedings bracketed out for 10 teams?

1- Hermantown
10- Ely
5- Hibbing
6- Eveleth-Gilbert

3- Denfeld
4- Marshall

2- Virginia MIB
8- International Falls
7 plays 10 in the first round, winner plays 2.

8 plays 9, winner plays 1.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
rockcrusher

Post by rockcrusher »

Marshall 5
Virginia 0

This game was a thumping from start to finish.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

rockcrusher wrote:Marshall 5
Virginia 0

I wouldn't go that far... the 3rd period definitely was, but the first period was 1-0 and 8-6 shots on goal with the only goal coming on the powerplay. Same deal with the second, 14-9 in shots with only one powerplay goal. The goal Marshall scored 19 seconds into the 3rd seemed to suck all the air out of Virginia's sails. Marshall's Alex Murray made a few nice saves on the 5-on-3 Virginia had which might have swung the momentum, given it was a 2-0 game at that point.

Either way, the 5-0 final might be enough to drop Virginia down to the #4 seed. I don't think it will get Marshall the #2 seed though, especially if Denfeld beats Grand Rapids (barring any other upsets). Hibbing will get #5 (by virtue of its 3-2 win over Eveleth tonight) and will likely play at Virginia. Marshall will probably host Eveleth, with Denfeld and Hermantown taking on the play-in game winners.
PuckRanger

Re: Brackets

Post by PuckRanger »

HockeyBum wrote:How are the seedings bracketed out for 10 teams?

1- Hermantown
10- Ely
5- Hibbing
6- Eveleth-Gilbert

3- Denfeld
4- Marshall

2- Virginia MIB
8- International Falls
Here is how its laid out:
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

5-0 throttling and should have been 10-0. Shot in the first were more like 17-6 and Marshall totally dominated this game from start to finish. Virginias 5 on 3 pp they only managed 2 shots. Marshall should easily be the 2 seed and no lower than 3. It's still a 2 team race in 7A between Marshall and Hermantown.
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

After Marshall's win tonight:

1. Hermantown
2. Denfeld
3. Marshall
4. Virginia.
5. Hibbing
..everyone else
HockeyStorm

7A Rankings

Post by HockeyStorm »

I really think its a 3 team race. Denfeld has proven itself against Hermantown and Marshall. Yes, they have some stinkers (Warroad) but when they are playing in the section they pick it up a notch.

1. Hermantown
2. Denfeld
3. Marshall
4. Virginia (can be a factor if Murray gets hot)

Denfeld would have to get thumped by G. Rapids to trade places with Marshall.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

Hockey North wrote:5-0 throttling and should have been 10-0. Shot in the first were more like 17-6
False... First of all, 5-0 is not a "throttling" and its not likely anyone is going to put 10 pucks past Lucas Murray. Second, I watched it again online just to see and the shot count was dead accurate. 8-6 Marshall. "Grade A" scoring chances (IMHO) 4-2 Marshall, not including the powerplay goal. Slight advantage, yes. Complete domination, no. Very defensive first period played by both.
Hockey North wrote:and Marshall totally dominated this game from start to finish.
False... Alex Murray made a couple of great saves that kept the Virginia fans out of the game and didn't allow any home momentum to build in the first two periods, plus there was that nice ringing of the crossbar... This game was very competitive for two periods and could have easily been a one-goal game one way or the other. Virginia never looks impressive, but that is how they play and win. Grind it out, not flash it off. The first two periods were exactly how Virginia probably wanted it... minus the two powerplay goals. Although, I thought Virginia might have been a little more physical than they were.
Hockey North wrote:Virginias 5 on 3 pp they only managed 2 shots.
False... It was 4 shots on goal, with 4 shots blocked and 4 shots/deflections wide. Marshall only cleared the zone twice for a total of about 23 seconds out of the two minutes. It wasn't as "zero pressure" as you make it sound.
Hockey North wrote:Marshall should easily be the 2 seed and no lower than 3.
False... almost no way they are the #2 seed. A #3 seed is probable, but not guaranteed. Virginia did beat Denfeld by a similar score earlier this year and coaches typically vote against Marshall when push comes to shove. While I don't expect it, I won't be totally shocked if Marshall comes in with a #4 seed. After all, what coach wouldn't want Marshall and Hermantown face each other in the semi's so their team didn't have to if they could control it?
Hockey North wrote:It's still a 2 team race in 7A between Marshall and Hermantown.
I won't even say false on this one, its just not necessary... Denfeld has more than proven its worth by beating your Hilltoppers and tying Hermantown just in the last week... and to completely count out Virginia would be naive. It was also just in the past week that Virginia beat Grand Rapids, who turned around and beat Hermantown a few nights later. One game (or bad period in this case) does not make for an entire body of judgement. If your team thinks like you that way (which I doubt they do), their run in the playoffs will likely end far short of St. Paul.
PuckRanger

Re: 7A Rankings

Post by PuckRanger »

HockeyStorm wrote:I really think its a 3 team race. Denfeld has proven itself against Hermantown and Marshall. Yes, they have some stinkers (Warroad) but when they are playing in the section they pick it up a notch.

1. Hermantown
2. Denfeld
3. Marshall
4. Virginia (can be a factor if Murray gets hot)

Denfeld would have to get thumped by G. Rapids to trade places with Marshall.
I agree, 100%.
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

rockcrusher wrote:Marshall 5
Virginia 0

I agree 100%
rockcrusher

Post by rockcrusher »

http://m.virginiamn.com/sports/high_sch ... l?mode=jqm

Even your newspaper guy agrees with me.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Only games the Range teams will win are the ones against each other. Would like to see Virginia make a run, but just don't think they can. Virginia might get the #2 seed, remember there are more Range votes than Duluth votes in seeding.
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

greenway1969 wrote:Only games the Range teams will win are the ones against each other. Would like to see Virginia make a run, but just don't think they can. Virginia might get the #2 seed, remember there are more Range votes than Duluth votes in seeding.
No no, Virgina will not get the #2 seed after a 5-0 loss to Marshall.
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

Well, it seem like the bickering between the Virginia and Marshall faithful has subsided. I think I have an idea how this thing is going to play out......

1 - Hermantown - I don't think this will be debated. with 3 games to play (Brainerd, Superior and Hibbing), I see them finishing strong by winning all 3. That puts them at a 20-4-1 overall record and 4-0-1 in the section.
2 - Duluth Marshall - With 2 games to play (Greenway and Cathedral), I see them splitting those and ending 15-9-1 and 6-2 in the section. I realize Denfeld beat them, but I believe they are the better team and I am sure the coaches who will be seeding this thing feel the same way.
3 - Duluth Denfeld - Of the three games remaining, they will win the two section games (Eveleth and North Shore) but drop the Grand Rapids game. That will leave them with a 12-11-3 record and 7-2-1 in the section. Yes I know they lost to Virginia, but their overall section record will set them apart.
4 - Virginia Mt. Iron Buhl - The reason I see the Blue Devils dropping to 4 is the fact they will beat Proctor in a closer than should be game and then lose to Hibbing to close out the year. That will put them at 16-8-1 and 8-2-1 in the section. Granted, the section record looks good, but consider that would be 7 of the 9 wins against teams in the bottom half of the section. I think the coaches clearly see Virginia as the 4 seed and that is how they will vote.
5 - Hibbing/Chisholm - With 2 games left (Hermantown and Virginia) I see them going 1-1 in those games bringing the record to 11-12-1 and 5-5 in the section. They are a lock at 5 regardless of how the last two end up.
6 - Eveleth/Gilbert - Their final 4 games are against Proctor, Denfeld, Moose Lake, and Pine City. They will go 3-1 to finish 14-10-1, 7-5-1 in the section. Again, they are a lock at 6.
7 - International Falls - This depends on their final 4 (Grand Rapids, North Shore, Roseau and Ely). I believe they will beat North Shore and Ely to guarantee them the 7 seed. This would bring their record to 8-16-1 and 4-8-1 in the section.
8 - North Shore - 4 games left (Pine City, I Falls, Proctor and Denfeld) and at best they will win the 2 non-section games bringing them to 13-10-2, 4-6 in the section.
9 - Greenway - They have 4 games left (Lake of the Woods, Marshall, Bagley and Ely) They will go 2-2, beating Bagley and Ely to finish 5-17-3 and 2-9-1 in the section.
10 - Ely - I am holding out hope the Timberwolves will pick up a win vs Moose Lake (but they will lose the rest) and finish 1-19, o-6 in the section.

Interesting match-ups will be the Virginia vs Hibbing Quarter-final, Denfeld vs Marshall Semi-final and if it works out the way I think, and Hermantown vs Marshall Final. Should be a fun tournament!
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

rockcrusher wrote:http://m.virginiamn.com/sports/high_sch ... l?mode=jqm

Take this for what its worth... that is not a fully staffed newspaper anymore. Its printed in Duluth, not in Virginia and the bulk of what they print is "pool" material shared between affiliates in Hibbing, Grand Rapids, and Ashland or comes from the Associated Press.

That was written by a staff writer, not a sports reporter... which means it was written by a guy sitting in an office who knows nothing about hockey and probably didn't see one second of the game... he likely just took the hockeyhub stats and maybe some second hand information from social media and dressed it up. If it had actually been covered by someone in person, there would have been quotes in the article from coaches and/or players and a photo or two from the game. The same writer also compiled all the other slew of scores and summaries that follow in the article.

I didn't see a whole lot there that "agrees" with you anyway. I did see where it explicitly said shots were 22-15 after two periods, which is exactly what I said they were...

Marshall was the better team, I'm not disputing that... but there is no need to exaggerate to make your team look better than it already is. Plus, the last sentence of your original comment still puts some serious doubt into your credibility. While it may well end up a Marshall/Hermantown final, it won't be entirely uncontested. It is also still within the realm of possibilities that could be a semifinal matchup. Marshall has had some good teams in the very recent past that ended up the #4 seed with just one or two section losses (2009, 2010, & 2011).
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

PuckRanger wrote:
rockcrusher wrote:http://m.virginiamn.com/sports/high_sch ... l?mode=jqm

Take this for what its worth... that is not a fully staffed newspaper anymore. Its printed in Duluth, not in Virginia and the bulk of what they print is "pool" material shared between affiliates in Hibbing, Grand Rapids, and Ashland or comes from the Associated Press.

That was written by a staff writer, not a sports reporter... which means it was written by a guy sitting in an office who knows nothing about hockey and probably didn't see one second of the game... he likely just took the hockeyhub stats and maybe some second hand information from social media and dressed it up. If it had actually been covered by someone in person, there would have been quotes in the article from coaches and/or players and a photo or two from the game. The same writer also compiled all the other slew of scores and summaries that follow in the article.

I didn't see a whole lot there that "agrees" with you anyway. I did see where it explicitly said shots were 22-15 after two periods, which is exactly what I said they were...

Marshall was the better team, I'm not disputing that... but there is no need to exaggerate to make your team look better than it already is. Plus, the last sentence of your original comment still puts some serious doubt into your credibility. While it may well end up a Marshall/Hermantown final, it won't be entirely uncontested. It is also still within the realm of possibilities that could be a semifinal matchup. Marshall has had some good teams in the very recent past that ended up the #4 seed with just one or two section losses (2009, 2010, & 2011).
I hope Denfeld and Virginia can pull the upset in section 7A. Think both teams equal to the task of pulling an upset.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

curtiscurve wrote:4 - Virginia Mt. Iron Buhl - The reason I see the Blue Devils dropping to 4 is the fact they will beat Proctor in a closer than should be game
=; Fact check... Virginia 8, Proctor 1... unless of course that's considered closer than should be. :wink:
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

PuckRanger wrote:
Hockey North wrote:5-0 throttling and should have been 10-0. Shot in the first were more like 17-6
False... First of all, 5-0 is not a "throttling" and its not likely anyone is going to put 10 pucks past Lucas Murray. Second, I watched it again online just to see and the shot count was dead accurate. 8-6 Marshall. "Grade A" scoring chances (IMHO) 4-2 Marshall, not including the powerplay goal. Slight advantage, yes. Complete domination, no. Very defensive first period played by both.
Hockey North wrote:and Marshall totally dominated this game from start to finish.
False... Alex Murray made a couple of great saves that kept the Virginia fans out of the game and didn't allow any home momentum to build in the first two periods, plus there was that nice ringing of the crossbar... This game was very competitive for two periods and could have easily been a one-goal game one way or the other. Virginia never looks impressive, but that is how they play and win. Grind it out, not flash it off. The first two periods were exactly how Virginia probably wanted it... minus the two powerplay goals. Although, I thought Virginia might have been a little more physical than they were.
Hockey North wrote:Virginias 5 on 3 pp they only managed 2 shots.
False... It was 4 shots on goal, with 4 shots blocked and 4 shots/deflections wide. Marshall only cleared the zone twice for a total of about 23 seconds out of the two minutes. It wasn't as "zero pressure" as you make it sound.
Hockey North wrote:Marshall should easily be the 2 seed and no lower than 3.
False... almost no way they are the #2 seed. A #3 seed is probable, but not guaranteed. Virginia did beat Denfeld by a similar score earlier this year and coaches typically vote against Marshall when push comes to shove. While I don't expect it, I won't be totally shocked if Marshall comes in with a #4 seed. After all, what coach wouldn't want Marshall and Hermantown face each other in the semi's so their team didn't have to if they could control it?
Hockey North wrote:It's still a 2 team race in 7A between Marshall and Hermantown.
I won't even say false on this one, its just not necessary... Denfeld has more than proven its worth by beating your Hilltoppers and tying Hermantown just in the last week... and to completely count out Virginia would be naive. It was also just in the past week that Virginia beat Grand Rapids, who turned around and beat Hermantown a few nights later. One game (or bad period in this case) does not make for an entire body of judgement. If your team thinks like you that way (which I doubt they do), their run in the playoffs will likely end far short of St. Paul.
Wow! It must have been a shooting gallery! Thats a lot of shots attempted!
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

PuckRanger wrote:
curtiscurve wrote:4 - Virginia Mt. Iron Buhl - The reason I see the Blue Devils dropping to 4 is the fact they will beat Proctor in a closer than should be game
=; Fact check... Virginia 8, Proctor 1... unless of course that's considered closer than should be. :wink:
I was wrong. The Hibbing game will be the deciding factor. If they can win that game, they may get to the 3 seed and knock Denfeld down to 4. Should be a very good game.
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

This Hibbing/Virginia game is going to be a big one, there's no question. I'm going to make the trip and go see it. Excited to see this section's playoffs. Legit 4 or maybe 5 teams could win.
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

When will the section meeting be? Will it be before DM plays Cathedral on saturday (a mutual opponent of DM and Denfeld).
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

TheInsider wrote:When will the section meeting be? Will it be before DM plays Cathedral on saturday (a mutual opponent of DM and Denfeld).
No, its Wednesday morning.