2014 Mr. Hockey Finalists

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will be Mr. Hockey - 2014?

Spencer Naas - Benilde-St. Margaret’s (F)
15%
Tyler Cline - Blaine (F)
4%
Phil Beaulieu - Duluth East (D)
2%
Nick Wolff - Eagan (D)
4%
Steven Spinner - Eden Prairie (F)
2%
Tyler Nanne - Edina (D)
5%
Avery Peterson - Grand Rapids (F)
31%
Mitch Slattery - Hill Murray (F)
14%
Zach Yon - Roseau (F)
23%

Total votes: 84

OTB987

Post by OTB987 »

Trying to accurately predict this years Mr Hockey Winner is as difficult as I can remember. No doubt it will be interesting.
B-Ville Hockey Guy

Post by B-Ville Hockey Guy »

B-Ville Hockey Guy wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
B-Ville Hockey Guy wrote: WOW The Best Forward GR ever put out? Have you been to the rink and looked at the list of NHL's up on the wall? Hobey Baker winners? Avery is a great kid and a good player but I wouldn't go putting him up against the greatest ever from that town.. I would put my GR senior year points up against his and I wasn't very good :D
What an incredible history of great players Rapids has had.

I agree with you Bvlle Hockey Guy. Has their been a MN Program who has produced more D1 talent? I would love to know the answer to that...

I do believe Aaron Miskovich is only Rapids player to win Mr Hockey...although if award was given away prior to 1985 I'm pretty certain that would be different....Bvlle Hockey Guy- in your opinion who is best to ever come out of Rapids? Probably hard to say, maybe a top 10 list?
My top 10 High school players- Some never played Pro: I am a mid 80"s Grad so there is a little bias here
#1 Jim Jetland- best athelete to come out of that town- should have played baseball in college but was good at the u
#2 Bill Baker- nough said
#3 Gary Degrio- Fastest skater to come out of GR
#4 Chris Marinucci- Hobey Baker
#5 John Rothstein- took over games when I was about 12 years old.
#6 Tommy Madsen-
#7 Alex Galagoski
#8 Aaron Miskovich-lit up HS
#9 Patrick White also Lit up HS
#10 Jim Malwitz- HS stud and went on to big things at the U
#11 Bville hockey Guy- Just kidding I was marginal HS player
------------------------------------------------------------
left off the list Kellin, Rohloff's /Levasseur/Lempe/Bischoff/Averys Dad :o)/Jim, Tom,Bill Rothstein...Roth, Decenzo, Lucia, Neilson, Kleinendors brothers, bobby madsen,Jon Casey, Dan Clafton and his son, I am sure that there are about 20 more D1 that I am forgetting.... Fun place to grow up and I hope Avery wins the award!
Damn I've been outed on the forum... Now I won't be able to rip on kids like everyone else on the board. I Think Avery deserves the honor as much as any other kid on the list but if I had the vote I would probably go with Slattery, Of all the kids that I have seen play this year in top games against tough competition he stood out and has really picked his game up this year. He had 4 point games against Edina and Benilde,, Aver has his big games against Chisholm and International Falls where he ran up 16 points in 3 games. The 200 point club up in Rapids is impressive but it is tough to compare points only when you get some games against opponents like that. Should be an interesting finish this year and maybe you can buy me a beer near the X if Rapids and Burnsville both make it.
Hockey922

Post by Hockey922 »

Not really sure how Wolff is a finalist. From what I've seen he's decent, but definitely not Mr. Hockey caliber.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Hockey922 wrote:Not really sure how Wolff is a finalist. From what I've seen he's decent, but definitely not Mr. Hockey caliber.
Size, physicality.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Hockey922 wrote:Not really sure how Wolff is a finalist. From what I've seen he's decent, but definitely not Mr. Hockey caliber.
Well, this is the same guy, who didn't make the natl camp, and by own admission, had a bad final 54 weekend, but then was picked for the national team for various intl tournaments, etc........................bypassing the alternates..................

:wink:
Puck to the head

2014 Mr Hockey Finalists

Post by Puck to the head »

Voting is done in part by NHL scouts that like Wolff's size and physicality, which is one of his biggest assets. Although the high school game does not showcase that since clean, hard hits are penalties. Most of the Mr Hockey attention and awards go to Forwards, but Wolff is a dominant defensman and definitely belongs in the conversation about the top ten senior high school players.
twolinepass

Re: 2014 Mr Hockey Finalists

Post by twolinepass »

Puck to the head wrote:Voting is done in part by NHL scouts that like Wolff's size and physicality, which is one of his biggest assets. Although the high school game does not showcase that since clean, hard hits are penalties. Most of the Mr Hockey attention and awards go to Forwards, but Wolff is a dominant defensman and definitely belongs in the conversation about the top ten senior high school players.

You definitely took a puck to the jibbers if you think Nick Wolff has any shot at the award, I would predict a dead last finish for the Wildcat.
Puck to the head

Post by Puck to the head »

NHL Central Scouting must have a favorable impression given his top 100 draft ranking in mid-terms. While he is lower than a few, he is higher than another noticable Mr. Hockey canddiate, and that does not include the ones not ranked by NHL. Again, not predicting a winner but as I stated earlier he "is a dominant defenseman and definitely belongs in the conversation about the top ten senior high school players." Here are MSHL players from the Mid-Term update:

61 - D - Luc Snuggerud - Eden Prairie
67 - F - Mitch Slattery - Hill-Murray
70 - F - Steven Spinner - Eden Prairie
97 - D - Nick Wolff - Eagan
168 - D - Tyler Nanne - Edina
180 - F - Miguel Fidler - Edina

Not predicting a winner, but responding to Hock922 question about him as finalist. Who would you replace him with as a Finalist candidate?
falconeer

Post by falconeer »

NHL Central Scouting must have a favorable impression given his top 100 draft ranking in mid-terms. While he is lower than a few, he is higher than another noticable Mr. Hockey canddiate, and that does not include the ones not ranked by NHL. Again, not predicting a winner but as I stated earlier he "is a dominant defenseman and definitely belongs in the conversation about the top ten senior high school players." Here are MSHL players from the Mid-Term update:

Not predicting a winner, but responding to Hock922 question about him as finalist. Who would you replace him with as a Finalist candidate?

I heard his dad is a scout with the Wild and his grandfather is a former GM. Do you suppose that has anything to do with it.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

falconeer wrote:NHL Central Scouting must have a favorable impression given his top 100 draft ranking in mid-terms. While he is lower than a few, he is higher than another noticable Mr. Hockey canddiate, and that does not include the ones not ranked by NHL. Again, not predicting a winner but as I stated earlier he "is a dominant defenseman and definitely belongs in the conversation about the top ten senior high school players." Here are MSHL players from the Mid-Term update:

I heard his dad is a scout with the Wild and his grandfather is a former GM. Do you suppose that has anything to do with it.
If true, the subject of my comment is becoming more clear.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

puckbreath wrote:
falconeer wrote:NHL Central Scouting must have a favorable impression given his top 100 draft ranking in mid-terms. While he is lower than a few, he is higher than another noticable Mr. Hockey canddiate, and that does not include the ones not ranked by NHL. Again, not predicting a winner but as I stated earlier he "is a dominant defenseman and definitely belongs in the conversation about the top ten senior high school players." Here are MSHL players from the Mid-Term update:

If true, the subject of my comment is becoming more clear.
Assuming he is referring to Nanne....
wayfncold

Post by wayfncold »

upnorthfan wrote:Just curious how many posting on here so far, have actually seen Yon play this year?
I've seen him play and he is the real deal! Also have seen Avery Peterson, great player but I think Yon has a more complete game. I sat with a local last year at a Rams game and he said he "had never seen more time and dedication put into their game" then Yon and Strand have. And he has been around Roseau Hockey for many years.
nobama

Post by nobama »

FROSTY NUGGET I have seen him REAL deal not yet.That is why they say you need to leave your bubble once in awhile..nice player and so was ness.
:roll: leave the promo on the ice you are starting to sound like the usntdp.
RoseauHockeyFan

When does voting end?

Post by RoseauHockeyFan »

Does anyone know when voting ends for Mr. Hockey?
siouxforce19

Re: When does voting end?

Post by siouxforce19 »

RoseauHockeyFan wrote:Does anyone know when voting ends for Mr. Hockey?
Don't quote me on it, but if I recall in year's past it was done prior to the state tournament.