Nonfeasance by the MSHSL? Open letter to Craig Perry

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

pepperpot

Nonfeasance by the MSHSL? Open letter to Craig Perry

Post by pepperpot »

Mr. Perry: The whole AA issue brings up a much larger issue. Was the MSHSL willful in its disregard of the MSHSL rules? This blog serves as proof that AA's illegal players were known back before the season started. The excuse being used by you is that teams are to police themselves. We've all heard this response ad nauseam. Does this rule terminate your responsibility to investigate in real time? Your "policy" has resulted in significant harm to the kids you are supposed to be supporting. The dream of playing in the state tournament, arguably the most important moment in their youth athletic career, has been taken away by the very people that has been trusted with protecting them. In lieu of reading the comments from bloggers like Bowhunter back in August, you can not deny that it was not brought to your attention over 5 months ago. Despite it being public knowledge, the MSHSL chose to fall back on their "rule"? Disgraceful.

Now is the time for the MSHSL to change the rule and eliminate self-policing. It won't be difficult to develop a small committee of volunteers (coaches) for each sport that would be willing to investigate accusations of illegibility. If everyday folks like us can google tax records, certainly you can, or a panel of coaches who have a significant stake in helping their kids achieve their dream. Let's face it, a lot is riding on this. Parents put a lot into their kids athletic lives, but the kids are the ones who really suffer when this happens. The whole concept of community based hockey in MN rides on this, so why ignore it? The pinnacle of most kids athletic endeavors (all sports) is the state tournament. It seems that creating a level playing field would be paramount. It's about the kids, sir.

I would suggest to all who read this to contact the MSHSL and demand a change of rules. I would also respectfully ask that Craig Perry administer a public apology for his nonfeasance in this issue, and admit that the MSHSL is equally responsible, if not more than Achiever Academy. That would go a long ways in establishing trust with our community of schools that this won't ever happen again.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

pepperpot, terrible idea, IMO. The last thing we need is to give an unelected organization at the state level the power to pry into the lives of families to make sure they are in compliance with whichever of their own rules they choose to enforce...for high schoolers. The local schools are in the best position to monitor their own students and in addition to the privacy implications it's just not worth the huge additional cost for a new bureaucracy to take on this function. Remember, the MSHSL would never change their systems just for girls hockey. It would have to apply to all athletes in all sports and activities, for all schools in the farthest corners of the state...totally impractical. And getting coaches involved would only make it worse for reasons that should be obvious.

Although in this instance it took too long, the truth did come out and justice was served - in a far more cost-effective, but less intrusive way - than what you're suggesting. No offense to you personally, but I'm really against changing the whole system when 99.5% of the AD's out there are honest people doing the best job they can.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

MNHFan- That might be the best post ive ever read on this fourm. I agree with you 100%
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

wolfman wrote:MNHFan- That might be the best post ive ever read on this fourm. I agree with you 100%
Agreed!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Pepperpot: Can we assume you signed your name and phone number to the actual letter sent to Mr Perry or was it sent without name and contact information from a non-descript email address ?

I side with MNHF on this one.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

wolfman wrote:MNHFan- That might be the best post ive ever read on this fourm. I agree with you 100%
I was going to agree with you too until I saw Wolfman did... :P

I kidding aside, well said!
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Mr. Perry might be out west watching his son play his senior year out of state.
EPIC97

Post by EPIC97 »

Marty wrote:Pepperpot: Can we assume you signed your name and phone number to the actual letter sent to Mr Perry or was it sent without name and contact information from a non-descript email address ?

I side with MNHF on this one.
Yes, he signed it.
Mr. Pepperpot,
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Sorry fan, but I couldn't disagree with you more. Non-elected committees are commonplace. A sanctioned panel asking some pointed questions relative to a residency in question isn't being "intrusive". A recommendation could be made to the powers at MSHSL to pursue further inquiry or let it go. Regardless, I believe the system is broke. This isn't the first time this has happened, and unless it is fixed, it won't be the last. I agree that a high majority of AD's are honest, but applying the self-policing analogy to most other situations in life makes it seem silly. I also think it is silly to say the system worked. Only after a public outcry for justice did this come to a head. Without the will of a couple parents, this would have gone on, probably until after finals, leaving more damage in its wake. The response from the MSHSL is proof that they don't want to admit any wrongdoing in this whole affair. I recognize the diversity of sports in HS. I also recognize that Hockey in MN carries more emotional stock than robotics or debate. It's Texas Football. It's Indiana Bball. We have an obligation to make this process above board and fair. Right now it isn't. As a side note Marty, I did send a signed letter to the MSHSL via email. This is a blog. If you want to out yourself, go for it. I'd prefer to not have NTMH show up on my doorstep in his yoga outfit expecting a date. :oops:
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Aww Pepper. We had come so far.
But it's waaaayyy too cold in the hinterland to come dressed in anything other than my sweatshop created Wayzata purchased cashmere lined head to toe camo. 8)
Happy Valentines Day one and all. Even you ya crazy hockey uncle.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

pepperpot, whether you care to admit it or not, the system did work. The people who broke the rules got caught.

I'm glad you agree that a "high majority" of AD's are honest. Going forward, I'm sure that after this well-publicized episode all of those honest AD's will be even more diligent in ensuring the eligibility of their school's athletes. Rest assured, there are hundreds of cases, with most pertaining to academic issues or substance violations, that you and I never hear about. Those situations are also much better handled at the school level, not by some committee in St. Paul.

I see the case here with AA as a very unique situation. Allowing that many ineligible players to be on the team shows a willful disregard for the rules. It's not like one or two slipped through the cracks and fooled the AD to get on the team. Again, a very unique situation and not something that justifies changing the whole system over. I do think you're making it out to be a much bigger problem than it is.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

alcloseshaver wrote:Mr. Perry might be out west watching his son play his senior year out of state.
:lol: well played