7AA Final: Elk River vs. Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who advances to state?

Duluth East
49%
Elk River
51%

Total votes: 72

Slammer

7AA Final: Elk River vs. Duluth East

Post by Slammer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Game is Thursday at Amsoil, puck drop at 7 or 7:30 I believe.

Elks won the first meeting between the two 3-2 early in the season.

Who ya got this time?

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:08 am

This one should be a very good section title game. I think the Elks have the slight edge to win 3-2.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 am

I think ER is slightly the better hockey team, but Randolph will put together a great game plan as usual. I'll take hounds in OT 4-3

nahc

Post by nahc » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:25 am

Hounds 3-1........ Should be a great game and venue!!

chief22

Post by chief22 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:22 am

Elks steal one on the road 5-4 (4-ot)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:27 pm

This is the seventh playoff meeting between these two. East leads the series 5-1, though the top seed won in all but one of those, and most of them haven't been all that close. This one has a good chance to buck that trend.

Keys to the game:
1. Special teams. East has been great there all year (well, they're great there every year), with a 40% PP and a 90% PK. Elk River's numbers aren't quite as good, but they were great in that department on Saturday, scoring two PP goals and killing off a few late penalties against Andover.
2. Goaltending. Berglove was key to the Elks' win in December, but Howg has improved as the season has gone along. This will be the first section final for both of them. How do they handle the pressure?
3. East's puck possession game and forecheck vs. the Elk River D. East has gotten much better in this department as the season has gone along, and that can be trouble for opposing defenses. But Elk River's relatively inexperienced D corps has probably gotten better as well, so we'll see how they do.
4. Any line-matching? Elk River's top line will be the most potent line on the ice, though I'd give East's second line the edge over Elk River's. Randolph does have the last line change; I don't really expect him to go with a certain match-up up front, though I wouldn't be surprised to see the top D pair put out there against the Elks' top line.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Spot on analysis Karl. 1 goal game either way.

Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:50 pm

The way East finished the regular season and have started the postseason, I'll take East in this one 4-1. They haven't had this kind of consistent offense all year until now, it's been nice to see finally. Strong D again in this one from the top pair will virtually shutdown the Elks top line. Earlier this year when they played East was a completely different team. For one, they played the game without Kolar (who has been their best forward since coming back from injury), and two, Howg played awful in their first meeting. Of the 3 goals allowed, 2 were soft and the other was questionable at best. He has improved by leaps and bounds since the beginning of the year and is much more confident. All that and the fact that Randolph just doesn't lose when he gets to section finals. What is he like 15-1??? I like the Hounds.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:59 pm

I think the "home ice" is worth one goal and will prove to be the deciding edge. East takes it 4-2 with an empty netter.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:27 pm

I could honestly see the same exact score the other way, but I think East is going to dominate this one. They are starting to get hot at the right time. And don't forget Randolph is 15-1 in section finals. That's a 93 percent success rate....

I'll take a shot in the dark with East winning 6-2.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Anyone know if number 8 for elk river is still hurt? I saw him get injured pretty bad and couldn't get off the ice without help Saturday.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:12 pm

I will be comfortably tuning in to the game from the comforts of home with a cold one in hand. I think it will be a good game and will be rooting for the Elks to finally bring a new face to the X. Berglove needs to be solid, Elks have to be aggressive yet disciplined on defense and offense (East is fairly lethal on the pp), I'd like to see more of a physical presence from both teams. Elks have to play with confidence and poise, East is good but they are by no means invincible.

I'll go with 4-3 Elk River.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Optimus

#8 for elk river

Post by Optimus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Slammer wrote:Anyone know if number 8 for elk river is still hurt? I saw him get injured pretty bad and couldn't get off the ice without help Saturday.
elk rivers #8 is fine he took a puck to the knee. He was walking fine after the game he will be playing Thursday

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:45 am

karl(east) wrote:This is the seventh playoff meeting between these two. East leads the series 5-1, though the top seed won in all but one of those, and most of them haven't been all that close. This one has a good chance to buck that trend.

Keys to the game:
1. Special teams. East has been great there all year (well, they're great there every year), with a 40% PP and a 90% PK. Elk River's numbers aren't quite as good, but they were great in that department on Saturday, scoring two PP goals and killing off a few late penalties against Andover.
2. Goaltending. Berglove was key to the Elks' win in December, but Howg has improved as the season has gone along. This will be the first section final for both of them. How do they handle the pressure?
3. East's puck possession game and forecheck vs. the Elk River D. East has gotten much better in this department as the season has gone along, and that can be trouble for opposing defenses. But Elk River's relatively inexperienced D corps has probably gotten better as well, so we'll see how they do.
4. Any line-matching? Elk River's top line will be the most potent line on the ice, though I'd give East's second line the edge over Elk River's. Randolph does have the last line change; I don't really expect him to go with a certain match-up up front, though I wouldn't be surprised to see the top D pair put out there against the Elks' top line.
It's going to be a close game. I think the loss of the departed ER player to the USHL (post Hockey Day MN) has actually bonded this ER team closer together. Have seen them play twice during the past month and they don't take many penalties. ER stronger up front, DE stronger on the blue line...game might just come down to which goalie is sharper. I could see this going to OT. Since its essentially a home game for DE (anyone who thinks it isn't is kidding themselves) DE does have that edge. It will be a 3-2 or 4-2 (EN goal) game.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:50 am

hockey59 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:This is the seventh playoff meeting between these two. East leads the series 5-1, though the top seed won in all but one of those, and most of them haven't been all that close. This one has a good chance to buck that trend.

Keys to the game:
It's going to be a close game. I think the loss of the departed ER player to the USHL (post Hockey Day MN) has actually bonded this ER team closer together. Have seen them play twice during the past month and they don't take many penalties. ER stronger up front, DE stronger on the blue line...game might just come down to which goalie is sharper. I could see this going to OT. Since its essentially a home game for DE (anyone who thinks it isn't is kidding themselves) DE does have that edge. It will be a 3-2 or 4-2 (EN goal) game.
What was the reason he left in the middle of the season for?

Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:09 am

hockey59 wrote:

Keys to the game:
Whether or not it has made them close as a team, they have definitely lost production up front. They stumbled right after he left understandably, but they haven't looked too strong in any game since then, especially in the quarterfinal game against Cloquet. Also, they took like 4 penalties against Andover. If they do that against East they will get killed. This game won't make it to overtime. It's going to be a 2 goal win for DE without an EN.

wayfncold

Post by wayfncold » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:18 am

Berglove shows why he should be the Brimsek winner. Add that to the motivation the Elks will have to get to the X without the kid who left for the ushl and they grind out a win.

Elks 2
east 1
2OT

wayfncold

He's selfish?

Post by wayfncold » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:28 am

Sats81 wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

Keys to the game:
What was the reason he left in the middle of the season for?
:? He's selfish? :?

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:16 am

I'll say again this will be a three or four goal game either way. I feel like one team is going to show up and one won't...... I don't think it will be a close game.

slyer

Post by slyer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:33 am

I think your right slammer 5-1 elk river

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:01 pm

slyer wrote:I think your right slammer 5-1 elk river
Could see that happening.

sanryam

Post by sanryam » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Berglove comes up big in Section games (even against Rapids in 2OT last year when Avery beat him) East's odd forecheck won't hold up. Elks 3 0

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Slammer wrote:
slyer wrote:I think your right slammer 5-1 elk river
Could see that happening.
Easily. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:38 pm

Not sure why anyone would think that East would lose this game in a runaway? They haven't done that all year. The team defense is what keeps the Hounds close with anyone. East has only given up 4 or more goals 3 times this year, and have only lost by more than 2 goals twice this year. Elk River conversely has given up 4 or more goals 7 times I believe and has had more lopsided losses than East. As far as their forecheck goes, its one of the best around. They have as of late really hurt opposing defenses with their hustle and cause lots of bad turnovers and dumb defensive zone play from defenders, leading to goals. Either Berglove is more succeptible to giving up goals or Elk River's defense just doesn't do the job. They have given up about a dozen more goals than East while playing one game less than the Hounds and about even schedules. All the facts point to the Hounds in this one!

DelanoHockey55

Post by DelanoHockey55 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Houndhockey wrote:Not sure why anyone would think that East would lose this game in a runaway? They haven't done that all year. The team defense is what keeps the Hounds close with anyone. East has only given up 4 or more goals 3 times this year, and have only lost by more than 2 goals twice this year. Elk River conversely has given up 4 or more goals 7 times I believe and has had more lopsided losses than East. As far as their forecheck goes, its one of the best around. They have as of late really hurt opposing defenses with their hustle and cause lots of bad turnovers and dumb defensive zone play from defenders, leading to goals. Either Berglove is more succeptible to giving up goals or Elk River's defense just doesn't do the job. They have given up about a dozen more goals than East while playing one game less than the Hounds and about even schedules. All the facts point to the Hounds in this one!
Alright, "HoundHockey" you're just a father of a kid on that team that's upset the Elks will represent 7AA at the X! Get back in your kennel! :wink: