AA State Hockey Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OTB987

AA State Hockey Tournament

Post by OTB987 »

This is shaping up to be a great field for the state tourney. Some great sectional games yesterday and the best games are yet to come to determine the 8 teams in state.

My state tourney prediction and seeds are as follows:

Section 1: Farmington knocks off LS to get the chance to play LN for a trip to state. Historically this has been the weakest section in tourney play but LN decided to change that this year with the way they have played. LN knocks off Farmington are represents 1AA.

Section 2: Jaguars are a scary team and their goaltending can do some damage but Edina's depth is just too much and they find a way to get by the Jaguars and win a two goal game. Edina represents 2AA.

Section 3: STA vs Eagan is a flip of a coin but I am going with Eagan because of the goaltender from Eagan can win this game. STA has a lot more flash but come up a goal short and lose 2-1 to Eagan. Eagan represents 3AA.

Section 4: Predicting HM vs. WBL in Section final with HM skating away with the trip to Xcel. It will not come easy and I would not be shocked if WBL pulls off the upset but have to go with the odds that if they played 10 times HM wins 8 of them.

Section 5: Semi-finals are still left to be played with Blaine advancing and MG sneaking by Centennial. In the end it doesn't matter as the Seniors from Blaine have to much determination and nastiness and they beat down MG. Final will either be 15-1 or 4-2 with Blaine going to State.

Section 6: BSM knocks off Wayzata and EP easily handles HF. The deciding factor for this game is going to be BSM's speed on the big sheet at Mariucci and they get it done 4-2. Red Knights represent Section 6.

Section 7: Location, Location, Location - Amsoil suits the Greyhounds well and they use it to their advantage and beat ER. DE and their uniforms are a staple for the Tourney and they will be their in force again this year.

Section 8: Roseau vs Moorhead has the potential to be a 3 OT thriller but the proven scoring of Roseau tilts to their advantage and gets Roseau back to St. Paul.

Seeding
1. Edina
2. HM
3. LN
4. Blaine
5. BSM
6, 7 & 8 Not in any order: Eagan, East and Roseau

QF #1: HM vs Eagan
QF #2: LN vs East
QF #3 Edina vs Roseau
QF #4 Blaine vs BSM
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

I think for the most part you're right on and the state quarterfinals you project would be four good games. The only thing I would change is that I think Lakeville North would get the #2 seed by vitrue of its head to head win over Hill-Murray.
Houndhockey

Re: AA State Hockey Tournament

Post by Houndhockey »

OTB987 wrote:This is shaping up to be a great field for the state tourney. Some great sectional games yesterday and the best games are yet to come to determine the 8 teams in state.

Section 1: Farmington knocks off LS to get the chance to play LN for a trip to state. Historically this has been the weakest section in tourney play but LN decided to change that this year with the way they have played. LN knocks off Farmington are represents 1AA.

Section 2: Jaguars are a scary team and their goaltending can do some damage but Edina's depth is just too much and they find a way to get by the Jaguars and win a two goal game. Edina

Section 3: STA vs Eagan is a flip of a coin but I am going with Eagan because of the goaltender from Eagan can win this game. STA has a lot more flash but come up a goal short and lose 2-1 to Eagan. Eagan represents 3AA.

Section 4: Predicting HM vs. WBL in Section final with HM skating away with the trip to Xcel. It will not come easy and I would not be shocked if WBL pulls off the upset but have to go with the odds that if they played 10 times HM wins 8 of them.

Section 5: Semi-finals are still left to be played with Blaine advancing and MG sneaking by Centennial. In the end it doesn't matter as the Seniors from Blaine have to much determination and nastiness and they beat down MG. Final will either be 15-1 or 4-2 with Blaine going to State.

Section 6: BSM knocks off Wayzata and EP easily handles HF. The deciding factor for this game is going to be BSM's speed on the big sheet at Mariucci and they get it done 4-2. Red Knights represent Section 6.

Section 7: Location, Location, Location - Amsoil suits the Greyhounds well and they use it to their advantage and beat ER. DE and their uniforms are a staple for the Tourney and they will be their in force again this year.

Section 8: Roseau vs Moorhead has the potential to be a 3 OT thriller but the proven scoring of Roseau tilts to their advantage and gets Roseau back to St. Paul.

Seeding
1. Edina
2. HM
3. LN
4. Blaine
5. BSM

QF #3 Edina vs Roseau
QF #4 Blaine vs BSM
I like your predictions, but if BSM beats EP, how could you possibly give them the 5 seed when East has been ranked ahead of them most of the year and also beat EP head to head?
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Houndhockey wrote:
OTB987 wrote:This is shaping up to be a great field for the state tourney. Some great sectional games yesterday and the best games are yet to come to determine the 8 teams in state.

Section 2: Jaguars are a scary team and their goaltending can do some damage but Edina's depth is just too much and they find a way to get by the Jaguars and win a two goal game. Edina

Seeding
1. Edina
2. HM
3. LN
4. Blaine
5. BSM

QF #3 Edina vs Roseau
QF #4 Blaine vs BSM
I like your predictions, but if BSM beats EP, how could you possibly give them the 5 seed when East has been ranked ahead of them most of the year and also beat EP head to head?
And don't forget East beat wayzata head to head also.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

Slammer wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:

Seeding
1. Edina
2. HM
3. LN
4. Blaine
5. BSM

QF #3 Edina vs Roseau
QF #4 Blaine vs BSM
And don't forget East beat wayzata head to head also.
And if EP beats BSM, doesn East get #5 cause they beat EP head to head?
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

If East makes it past Elk River, (and that's a big if) I truly believe they can run the table and win state.

In this years tourney, Easts defensive first and grind it out style of play is a style that can win it all.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Slammer wrote:If East makes it past Elk River, (and that's a big if) I truly believe they can run the table and win state.

In this years tourney, Easts defensive first and grind it out style of play is a style that can win it all.
I would agree with this statement with the exception being if they have to face Edina
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Slammer wrote:If East makes it past Elk River, (and that's a big if) I truly believe they can run the table and win state.

I wouldn't be blown away if they ended up winning it either. So many times in the tourney the best team during reg season and team that is favorite doesn't end up winning.
badgermom78

Post by badgermom78 »

Section 2: Jaguars are a scary team and their goaltending can do some damage but Edina's depth is just too much and they find a way to get by the Jaguars and win a two goal game. Edina represents 2AA.

Seeding
1. Edina
2. HM
3. LN
4. Blaine
5. BSM

QF #3 Edina vs Roseau
QF #4 Blaine vs BSM
How great would it be to see an all Public tourney! It is a definite possibility this year.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

badgermom78 wrote:

Seeding
1. Edina
2. HM
3. LN
4. Blaine
5. BSM

QF #3 Edina vs Roseau
QF #4 Blaine vs BSM
How great would it be to see an all Public tourney! It is a definite possibility this year.
Ya......let's have a repeat of 2011.....
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote: Ya......let's have a repeat of 2011.....
Sounds like a great idea if you're a WBL or Wildcat fan...or if you want to see another "best AA final ever" game. :wink:
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
badgermom78 wrote:

Seeding
1. Edina
2. HM
3. LN
4. Blaine
5. BSM

QF #3 Edina vs Roseau
QF #4 Blaine vs BSM
Ya......let's have a repeat of 2011.....
I mean, a repeat of 2011 wouldn't be a bad thing.

out of the 11 games played, 7 games were decided by 1 goal, 5 went to OT or multiple OTs, and the championship game went to 3 overtimes.

doesn't sound like such a bad state tournament to me.
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

badgermom78 wrote:

Seeding
1. Edina
2. HM
3. LN
4. Blaine
5. BSM

QF #3 Edina vs Roseau
QF #4 Blaine vs BSM
It would definitely be great to see, but I think Hill Murray will beat WBL, and STA probably makes it as well.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

badgermom78 wrote:How great would it be to see an all Public tourney! It is a definite possibility this year.
There is a better chance that there will be 3 private schools.
DelanoHockey55

Post by DelanoHockey55 »

Looks like a good field this year! Hopefully 2A tourney can include Delano as they will be moving up a from 1A in the next couple of years! [-o<
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Interesting comment, seeing as East was unable to beat section favorites like Blaine, Hill Murray, and Lakeville North during the regular season; Especially considering the first two beat East by 3 goals each. Not to mention 2AA favorite, a solid Edina team.

Anyway, I got a feeling this year will come down to either Blaine or Edina taking the crown.
celly93

Post by celly93 »

So with all of the talk about a possible all-public tournament, I went back and looked to see how prevalent private schools actually are at the AA tournament. No sides here, I was just curious and figured I'd share my findings. Some observations:

-Prior to 2000, no private school other than Hill-Murray had ever made the tournament, with the exception of Cretin-Derham Hall in 1988 and Holy Angels in 1999.

-Only four private schools have ever made the tournament: Hill-Murray (26 appearances), Holy Angels (five appearances), Cretin-Derham Hall (three appearances and Benilde-St. Margaret's (two appearances).

-All four of these schools have won championships (HM 3, AHA 2, CDH 1, BSM 1) and each school has won one apiece since 2005.

-There has never been a Private vs. Private semifinal game.

-As they are currently set up, no section has ever had more than one private school go to state (although STA might change that this season).

Since 2000:

-Seventeen of the 112 tournament entrants have been private schools (15.2 percent).

-The most private schools in a single tournament is two. The breakdown is as follows:
2 teams: 5 times
1 team: 7 times
0 teams: 2 times

-Private schools have appeared in six of the 14 state championship games, with 2002 and 2012 being Private vs. Private.

-Private schools are 5-3 in state championship games, with two of those losses coming to other private schools.

-Private schools are 8-4 in semifinal games.

-Most state championship game appearances since 2000:
Hill-Murray- 4 (1-3)
Moorhead- 4 (0-4)
Eden Prairie- 2 (2-0)
Edina- 3 (2-1)
Holy Angels- 2 (2-0)
Duluth East- 2 (0-2)
Grand Rapids- 2 (0-2)
Roseau- 1 (1-0)
Benilde-St. Margaret's- 1 (1-0)
Centennial- 1 (1-0)
Blaine- 1 (1-0)
Anoka- 1 (1-0)
Cretin-Derham Hall- 1 (1-0)
Elk River- 1 (1-0)
Minnetonka- 1 (0-1)
Roseville- 1 (0-1)

Breakdown:
Metro Public: 7-2
Private: 5-3
Northern: 1-8

If I have made any mistakes, please feel free to let me know.
Last edited by celly93 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

celly93 wrote:So with all of the talk about a possible all-public tournament, I went back and looked to see how prevalent private schools actually are at the AA tournament. No sides here, I was just curious and figured I'd share my findings. Some observations:

-Prior to 2000, no private school other than Hill-Murray had ever made the tournament, with the exception of Cretin-Derham Hall in 1988.

-Only four private schools have ever made the tournament: Hill-Murray (26 appearances), Holy Angels (five appearances), Cretin-Derham Hall (three appearances and Benilde-St. Margaret's (two appearances).

-All four of these schools have won championships (HM 3, AHA 2, CDH 1, BSM 1) and each school has won one apiece since 2005.

-As they are currently set up, no section has ever had more than one private school go to state (although STA might change that this season).

Since 2000:

-Seventeen of the 112 tournament entrants have been private schools (15.2 percent).

-The most private schools in a single tournament is two. The breakdown is as follows:

-Private schools have appeared in six of the 14 state championship games, with 2002 and 2012 being Private vs. Private.

-Private schools are 5-3 in state championship games, with two of those losses coming to other private schools.

Hill-Murray- 5 (2-3)
Moorhead- 4 (0-4)
Eden Prairie- 2 (2-0)
Edina- 2 (2-0)
Holy Angels- 2 (2-0)
Duluth East- 2 (0-2)
Grand Rapids- 2 (0-2)
Roseau- 1 (1-0)
Centennial- 1 (1-0)
Blaine- 1 (1-0)
Anoka- 1 (1-0)
Minnetonka- 1 (0-1)
Roseville- 1 (0-1)

Breakdown:

AHA was in the tourney in 1999, took fourth place.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

What's east considered? Lol :)
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Tigers33 wrote:What's east considered? Lol :)
Don't you remember? All the best players up there get "harvested" by Marshall.... Ha.
OTB987

Post by OTB987 »

celly93 wrote:So with all of the talk about a possible all-public tournament, I went back and looked to see how prevalent private schools actually are at the AA tournament. No sides here, I was just curious and figured I'd share my findings. Some observations:

-Prior to 2000, no private school other than Hill-Murray had ever made the tournament, with the exception of Cretin-Derham Hall in 1988.

Since 2000:

Hill-Murray- 5 (2-3)
Moorhead- 4 (0-4)
Eden Prairie- 2 (2-0)
Edina- 2 (2-0)
Holy Angels- 2 (2-0)
Duluth East- 2 (0-2)
Grand Rapids- 2 (0-2)
Roseau- 1 (1-0)
Centennial- 1 (1-0)
Blaine- 1 (1-0)
Anoka- 1 (1-0)
Minnetonka- 1 (0-1)
Roseville- 1 (0-1)

Breakdown:

Roseville? Really? What year?
gitter

Post by gitter »

OTB987 wrote:

Since 2000:

Hill-Murray- 5 (2-3)
Moorhead- 4 (0-4)
Eden Prairie- 2 (2-0)
Edina- 2 (2-0)
Holy Angels- 2 (2-0)
Duluth East- 2 (0-2)
Grand Rapids- 2 (0-2)
Roseau- 1 (1-0)
Centennial- 1 (1-0)
Blaine- 1 (1-0)
Anoka- 1 (1-0)
Minnetonka- 1 (0-1)
Roseville- 1 (0-1)

Breakdown:

Roseville? Really? What year?
2003. They played Anoka
jonandrews13

Post by jonandrews13 »

Roseville was in the title game in 2003 against Anoka, where the Tornadoes ended up taking it all. Holy Angels had maybe their best team ever that year and lost to Anoka in the semis after Ben Luth gave up a couple goals early and they couldn't recover after Jeff Frazee replaced him. They ended up losing 2-1.
I need ER vs BJ from 2002 State Quarterfinals. PM me.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Since 2000:

Hill-Murray- 5 (2-3)
Moorhead- 4 (0-4)
Eden Prairie- 2 (2-0)
Edina- 2 (2-0)
Holy Angels- 2 (2-0)
Duluth East- 2 (0-2)
Grand Rapids- 2 (0-2)
Roseau- 1 (1-0)
Centennial- 1 (1-0)
Blaine- 1 (1-0)
Anoka- 1 (1-0)
Minnetonka- 1 (0-1)
Roseville- 1 (0-1)

Breakdown:

Great post. Only mistake I can see is since 2000, saying Hill Murray has gone 2-3 in state championship games. Their only state championship since 2000 was 2008. Other 2 were 1983 and 1991 I believe. Hill fans is this correct?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

jonandrews13 wrote:Roseville was in the title game in 2003 against Anoka, where the Tornadoes ended up taking it all. Holy Angels had maybe their best team ever that year and lost to Anoka in the semis after Ben Luth gave up a couple goals early and they couldn't recover after Jeff Frazee replaced him. They ended up losing 2-1.
That Holy Angels team was excellent. Trebil had a very impressive run there from about 1999-2007.