Senior Classic

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Don't Poke The Bear

Senior Classic

Post by Don't Poke The Bear »

Starts Friday -- are rosters posted somewhere?
tinroofrusted

Post by tinroofrusted »

For game times/location this link brings you to main page then click on schedule: Not sure on rosters?

http://www.mghca.com/page/show/115688-senior-classic
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Ive never heard about this before. Excuse my questions, but...
Don't these seniors already have college plans, hockey or no? Who are they "showcasing" for?
Rosters?
Thanks.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Ive never heard about this before. Excuse my questions, but...
Don't these seniors already have college plans, hockey or no? Who are they "showcasing" for?
Rosters?
Thanks.
Www.mghca.com

Some seniors plan on playing college, some not. Seniors nominated by their coach, section coaches vote and then counted. 6 D, 9 F, and 2 G for each team. I believe this is 14th year the MGHCA has done this.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I went back three years and there was a new thread started on this every one of those years. For example, here is the one for 2011:

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25728
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Stopped by rink to watch some games, fun hockey to see! Girls moving well, good pace to the games.
powerplayer

Post by powerplayer »

Have to put a plug in for the Hinterland :D 7AA and 7A girls took third place only losing to 6AA and 6A (best section in the state with 7 D1 players on the roster) in overtime!!! Probably the best hockey I have watched all year. Very proud of our Northern Girls!!!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

powerplayer wrote:Have to put a plug in for the Hinterland :D 7AA and 7A girls took third place only losing to 6AA and 6A (best section in the state with 7 D1 players on the roster) in overtime!!! Probably the best hockey I have watched all year. Very proud of our Northern Girls!!!
No surprise that 6A/6AA was strong, but I see that the other Hinterland team (8A/8AA) did not fare so well, scoring only 3 goals in going winless in their four games. Probably one of the reasons why is that the two best teams in the Northwest - East Grand Forks and Thief River Falls - each had young rosters, with most of their top players coming back next year.

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... esults.doc
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Ive never heard about this before.
Looking at the rosters it would appear few have. Nobody from Minnetonka, Hopkins (really bizarre) or Lakeville South? One girl from EP, two from Edina but 6 from Bloomington? One girl from Lakeville N but three from Rochester Century?

Benilde and Armstrong/Cooper are well represented though.
powerplayer

Post by powerplayer »

luckyEPDad wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Ive never heard about this before.
Looking at the rosters it would appear few have. Nobody from Minnetonka, Hopkins (really bizarre) or Lakeville South? One girl from EP, two from Edina but 6 from Bloomington? One girl from Lakeville N but three from Rochester Century?

Benilde and Armstrong/Cooper are well represented though.
Sydney Baldwin from Minnetonka played but I heard she signed up late and they had to put her with another section team since 6 was filled already.
D16Dad

Post by D16Dad »

It appears 8A-8AA had 5 defense? Also a player from Totino Grace (5A), and Prior Lake (2AA)? No representation from Warroad, East Grand Forks, Crookston, Bemidji, Sartell/Sauk Rapids, Buffalo. Several strong seniors from 8A-8AA missing...

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... Master.xls
Last edited by D16Dad on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otter

Post by Otter »

Geez, people, stop hyperventilating and move along. There's nothing to see here. It's a chance for the kids who've been playing with and against each other for 10 years to have one more weekend to play with and against each other. A kid I know said it was the most fun she's had playing hockey since early last summer. There's no pressure (like the HS season) and no judgemental adults watching and whispering (like Advanced or Prospects or Elite). Just some family in the stands and a bunch of kids wheeling dealing and having fun. I suppose somebody on this forum is wanting stats to break down. Yeesh. The girls understood and had a blast for once. The only sign of 'officialness' was a coupla local college coaches stopping in to watch their recruits and say Hi.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

Otter wrote:Geez, people, stop hyperventilating and move along. There's nothing to see here. It's a chance for the kids who've been playing with and against each other for 10 years to have one more weekend to play with and against each other. A kid I know said it was the most fun she's had playing hockey since early last summer. There's no pressure (like the HS season) and no judgemental adults watching and whispering (like Advanced or Prospects or Elite). Just some family in the stands and a bunch of kids wheeling dealing and having fun. I suppose somebody on this forum is wanting stats to break down. Yeesh. The girls understood and had a blast for once. The only sign of 'officialness' was a coupla local college coaches stopping in to watch their recruits and say Hi.
Geez Otter, other than you who's hyperventilating? I think the Senior Classic is overlooked by a lot of girls, quite possibly because of its timing. I'm guessing the strong representation by some teams has a lot to do with how tied in the head coach is. Not political ties, but just having an awareness of the program and remembering to nominate players in time.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

It's not that players are forgotten, many times they choose not to play in this event for various reasons.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

hockeywild7 wrote:It's not that players are forgotten, many times they choose not to play in this event for various reasons.
I suppose that's true. Many girls are starting their spring sports and it would certainly be understandable if others are ready to take a break from hockey. That doesn't explain how clumpy some of the rosters are though.
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

luckyEPDad wrote:
hockeywild7 wrote:It's not that players are forgotten, many times they choose not to play in this event for various reasons.
I suppose that's true. Many girls are starting their spring sports and it would certainly be understandable if others are ready to take a break from hockey. That doesn't explain how clumpy some of the rosters are though.
Hopkins had its banquet on Sunday morning/afternoon so they couldn’t really participate. Just a scheduling conflict and not a slight on the event, I know it is supported by coaches and players but they didn’t want to no show for the Sunday games.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Maybe many have had enough. HS season can be grueling especially those fighting small, but nagging injuries.

Other are moving on in life ... hockey is something that they use to do.

Eighteen year old young ladies have been known to just say ... no dad I am not playing anymore.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Noticed the photo for the champs 11 skaters 1 goalie. Were there a lot of no shows? Or were the rosters actually short of players?
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

I know one had an injury and wasn't able to continue after the first two games.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

One of the goalies skated out the second half of the game. Fun way to end her career.