Very excited for Gary Thorne

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

Very excited for Gary Thorne

Post by O-townClown »

Bio from the Prep45 website:

Born in Bangor, Maine, Gary graduated from Maine, the University of Maine School of Law and Georgetown Law School. During a broadcasting career that spans nearly 50 years, he has covered high school and university sports in Maine, MLB with the Mets, White Sox and Orioles and 22 years of sports coverage with ESPN. This year marks his 29th season of play-by-play coverage of MLB and his eighth on Orioles MASN broadcasts. Thorne has broadcast 11 World Series, 16 All-Star Games and three World Baseball Classics for MLB International TV and 12 NHL seasons, including Stanley Cup playoffs and finals for ABC/ESPN. He started his NHL play-by-play career with The New Jersey Devils on Sportschannel from 1987 through 1993. In 2002 NBC enlisted Thorne to call the hockey games during the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, his third Olympics.

Lou as usual, who'll sound good as ever and is part of what makes the tournament great.

I recall Chris Cuthbert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Cuthbert coming down in the mid- to late-80s.

What other national broadcast talent has been brought in to work the tournament over the years?
Be kind. Rewind.
HappyHockeyFan

Re: Very excited for Gary Thorne

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

O-townClown wrote:Bio from the Prep45 website:

Born in Bangor, Maine, Gary graduated from Maine, the University of Maine School of Law and Georgetown Law School. During a broadcasting career that spans nearly 50 years, he has covered high school and university sports in Maine, MLB with the Mets, White Sox and Orioles and 22 years of sports coverage with ESPN. This year marks his 29th season of play-by-play coverage of MLB and his eighth on Orioles MASN broadcasts. Thorne has broadcast 11 World Series, 16 All-Star Games and three World Baseball Classics for MLB International TV and 12 NHL seasons, including Stanley Cup playoffs and finals for ABC/ESPN. He started his NHL play-by-play career with The New Jersey Devils on Sportschannel from 1987 through 1993. In 2002 NBC enlisted Thorne to call the hockey games during the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, his third Olympics.

Lou as usual, who'll sound good as ever and is part of what makes the tournament great.

I recall Chris Cuthbert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Cuthbert coming down in the mid- to late-80s.

What other national broadcast talent has been brought in to work the tournament over the years?
I think Howard Cosell did a time or two in the 70's.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
wbmd

Re: Very excited for Gary Thorne

Post by wbmd »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
O-townClown wrote:Bio from the Prep45 website:

I think Howard Cosell did a time or two in the 70's.
Yes - Howard Cosell did do some coverage of the tournament. I think it was in 1982, but not positive.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Wondering how much experience Gary Thorne has announcing hockey games?
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

Don't get too excited. He didn't do his prep work in 2012 and pronounced Don Lucia's name Don Loo-see-ah.

He's one of the best hockey announcers ever, but he hasn't done any research for any hockey games that he has done in recent years. He isn't coming to St. Paul until Wednesday night, and my sources say he's having another 45 TV analyst do all the prep work for him.

Sure the game call might be OK, but be prepared for a lot of mispronounced names and a lot of generic talk between the whistles. Hopefully Lou and Ben help him out a little bit.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

In case anyone needs help getting in the mood:

http://ciskie.blogspot.com/2009/06/gary ... voice.html

Or, if you want Minnesotans winning things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XqjBvwU5rs
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Should have googled him before I asked my dumb question above! :roll: When I played the first highlight that was linked to Karl's post above, I recognized the voice right away - just didn't put his name and voice together. And hearing it gets me doubly excited for the tourney (although I will be attending all of Thursday's games in person, and will have to wait until Friday evening to watch Channel 45's broadcast and hear him and Lou together).

It's also good to know that hockey is apparently Thorne's favorite sport to announce, so coming here to do the tourney should be a fun experience for him as well.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

ZachHalverson wrote:Don't get too excited. He didn't do his prep work in 2012 and pronounced Don Lucia's name Don Loo-see-ah.

He's one of the best hockey announcers ever, but he hasn't done any research for any hockey games that he has done in recent years. He isn't coming to St. Paul until Wednesday night, and my sources say he's having another 45 TV analyst do all the prep work for him.

Sure the game call might be OK, but be prepared for a lot of mispronounced names and a lot of generic talk between the whistles. Hopefully Lou and Ben help him out a little bit.
Clymer is PAINFUL to listen to. Really bad at gopher games too.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Will absolutely NOT have the sound on with these gentlemen announcing the games....... Thorne/Clement were horrible when they did the NHL for ESPN........
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

I would just like to clarify that I do think Gary Thorne is an excellent play-by-play announcer and I thought he was fantastic on the NHL on ESPN. I just worry that he's not going to do his prep work. That's all.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

ZachHalverson wrote:I would just like to clarify that I do think Gary Thorne is an excellent play-by-play announcer and I thought he was fantastic on the NHL on ESPN. I just worry that he's not going to do his prep work. That's all.
Agreed. I think best all time combo was Wally and Lou.
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

If this was Doc, I wouldn't worry. Heck, Emrick would know where many of the players played their Squirt hockey, who their coach was, and how many goals they scored that year.

That wasn't the case with Gary when he did the Frozen Four broadcasts, and it was a big reason why I favored the switch to John Buccigross, who not only does his prep work, but also follows the sport on a consistent basis.

I could be wrong and Gary could be great Thursday-Saturday, but I have a feeling he's gonna receive some complaints. At least Class A is covered well, Jim Erickson is awesome.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

ZachHalverson wrote:If this was Doc, I wouldn't worry. Heck, Emrick would know where many of the players played their Squirt hockey, who their coach was, and how many goals they scored that year.

That wasn't the case with Gary when he did the Frozen Four broadcasts, and it was a big reason why I favored the switch to John Buccigross, who not only does his prep work, but also follows the sport on a consistent basis.

I could be wrong and Gary could be great Thursday-Saturday, but I have a feeling he's gonna receive some complaints. At least Class A is covered well, Jim Erickson is awesome.
Jim Erickson is great. Thank God no Housley this year. Worst ever.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Sats81 wrote:
ZachHalverson wrote:If this was Doc, I wouldn't worry. Heck, Emrick would know where many of the players played their Squirt hockey, who their coach was, and how many goals they scored that year.

Agree on Erickson, he does a ton of games on BOB and knows his stuff.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

nahc wrote:Will absolutely NOT have the sound on with these gentlemen announcing the games....... Thorne/Clement were horrible when they did the NHL for ESPN........
I'll take Thorne any day over Nanne.
Last edited by puckbreath on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

alcloseshaver wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

Was he one of the two guys broadcasting the Andover-Elk River 7AA semifinal? If so, very good choice. Those two were fun to listen to and knew their stuff.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

east hockey wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
Sats81 wrote: Jim Erickson is great. Thank God no Housley this year. Worst ever.
Was he one of the two guys broadcasting the Andover-Elk River 7AA semifinal? If so, very good choice. Those two were fun to listen to and knew their stuff.

Lee
Nope, that was Ryan Phelps. Jim did the Class A tournament last year for 45. You've probably heard one of his broadcasts before, you can check out his archives at http://www.meridix.com/directory/contro ... imerickson
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

I agree I can't wait to hear Gary!

I grew up listening to him call the biggest games. Now he is calling the biggest games this state has to offer.

I can't see this being anything but good!

THANK YOU GARY
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

nahc wrote:Will absolutely NOT have the sound on with these gentlemen announcing the games....... Thorne/Clement were horrible when they did the NHL for ESPN........
:roll:
nahc

Post by nahc »

Thorne and Nannie are terrible.......... sound off, listening to MSBN feed on line......... TONS better
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

nahc wrote:Thorne and Nannie are terrible.......... sound off, listening to MSBN feed on line......... TONS better
I think your in the minority of not liking Thorne.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Thorne and Nanne are killing it. Loving it so far.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

I think Thorne and Nanne are doing well, but we haven't even seen Edina yet so we must wait to see the TRUE genius of Lou :lol:
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Thorne is doing fine, must have been doing his homework, he is spewing stats like crazy. Lou just call Menne " Coach Meanie"
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Lou and Thorne are awesome. Louie is great like always. You would be a fool to not think that Lou had something to do with getting Thorne. Best hockey mind mn has!