Class A Final: (2) Hermantown vs (1) East Grand Forks

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:24 pm

East Grand Forks
54%
Hermantown
46%

Total votes: 35

Northhcky

Post by Northhcky » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:06 pm

A big congrats to EGF, you deserve this one!!! But now that you have won a title you will have the haters telling you that you should move up to AA lol. Imho it was agreat A final..best i have seen in many years... two small public schools fighting for the title and the best team today won. The way it should be! Like the old days before the privates took over! Ok haters go ahead.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Congrats to the Green Wave on a hell of a showing and well earned victory today!

bemused

Post by bemused » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Northhcky wrote:A big congrats to EGF, you deserve this one!!! But now that you have won a title you will have the haters telling you that you should move up to AA lol. Imho it was agreat A final..best i have seen in many years... two small public schools fighting for the title and the best team today won. The way it should be! Like the old days before the privates took over! Ok haters go ahead.
No hating here..didn't think this was one of Hermantown's better teams.
Missing the usual big time goalie and thin after 5 and 11 in back. Very impressed with EGf and assume they will be back next year, looking at
their age. Can't say I feel bad for Plante though...

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:34 pm

What the hell was that ? Wow - musta been a Green Wave !

Still don't know what one is, but it roared thru the State of Hockey like a runaway freitht train. VERY nice team to watch. Congrats to all of 'em - players, coaches, parents, fans, etc.

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:39 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:East Grand 3 - Hermantown 1
Plante can whine about losing once again. Hermantown is perennial runner ups.
Didn't they win it in 07 ?

Open mouth, change feet !

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:40 pm

Maybe a little Karma for showboating in front of the New Prague crowd on Friday.

EGF was the best team in Class A and would have had a respectable showing in the AA tourament based on their season. Congrats to them.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Wouldn't it be great to see them play against Edina or LVN for a true final..?

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:50 pm

SPUDNUT wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:East Grand 3 - Hermantown 1
Plante can whine about losing once again. Hermantown is perennial runner ups.
Didn't they win it in 07 ?

Open mouth, change feet !
5 years in a row as the runner up pretty well makes them the perennial runner up in most people's books.

I wonder if some of those talented 11th graders are going to see the writing on the wall and leave for greener pastures next year rather than spend the year blowing up cupcakes and then losing when/if they get to the big dance.

defense

Post by defense » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:50 pm

Northhcky wrote:A big congrats to EGF, you deserve this one!!! But now that you have won a title you will have the haters telling you that you should move up to AA lol. Imho it was agreat A final..best i have seen in many years... two small public schools fighting for the title and the best team today won. The way it should be! Like the old days before the privates took over! Ok haters go ahead.
EGF should be AA, but i thought that before this season. And I don't hate em for it. Congratulations boys

HornetsFan

Post by HornetsFan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:56 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:Wouldn't it be great to see them play against Edina or LVN for a true final..?
A true blowout is what I think you meant to say...

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:59 pm

I assume that the post game press conf has come and gone. Did anybody hear it or see it? Anything interesting come out of it?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:08 pm

puckbreath wrote:egf had a history of self-destructing via lack of discipline. You could literally count on it.
Too close to UND? :P :wink:

deacon

Post by deacon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Yeah, that was so much better than last years title game....

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:25 pm

defense wrote:EGF should be AA, but i thought that before this season. And I don't hate em for it. Congratulations boys
Huh? Must mean that the new standard for moving up is when you win your first Class A title in the history of the school. :roll:

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:31 pm

HornetsFan wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Wouldn't it be great to see them play against Edina or LVN for a true final..?
A true blowout is what I think you meant to say...
Have a little faith in you hornets

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:38 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
puckbreath wrote:egf had a history of self-destructing via lack of discipline. You could literally count on it.
Too close to UND? :P :wink:
LOL, good point !

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Anyone wondering about 8a next year, my .02:

- egf is again the favorite. That is, depending on if any "new faces :wink: " that show up in Warroad.
egf is losing some players, but they are returning more than Warroad.

- Warroad is second.

- trf will not be a contender for many years to come.

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:43 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
defense wrote:EGF should be AA, but i thought that before this season. And I don't hate em for it. Congratulations boys
Huh? Must mean that the new standard for moving up is when you win your first Class A title in the history of the school. :roll:
Yeah, egf is right where they belong.

Calls for them in aa are uninformed.

After next year, their cycle will be over.

hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:32 pm

so does the hermantown head coach CLAIM the Suburb public school championship this year?

want to give that baby something....

maybe he can cry for EGF to disband, play in N Dakota or move up???

thoughts?

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:51 pm

Deathblow wrote:Classy move by Oliver...gave his medal to 3rd string, senior goalie.
Nice.
What is a Green Wave anyway?

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Deathblow wrote:Classy move by Oliver...gave his medal to 3rd string, senior goalie.
Kid not on the varsity/dressed ?

defense

Post by defense » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:01 pm

puckbreath wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:

wow.
after being out for awhile I forgot how defensive hockey fans were...
re read boys. I congratulated ya! and my thinkin EGF should play AA has very little to do about jealousy and hating on em and everything to do about a genuine respect of their program. I was propping ya up, not tearing at ya, enjoy the championship!

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:17 pm

defense wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:

wow.
after being out for awhile I forgot how defensive hockey fans were...
re read boys. I congratulated ya! and my thinkin EGF should play AA has very little to do about jealousy and hating on em and everything to do about a genuine respect of their program. I was propping ya up, not tearing at ya, enjoy the championship!
Not mine to enjoy.

I can't stand egf :lol:

Deathblow

Post by Deathblow » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:28 pm

puckbreath wrote:
Kid not on the varsity/dressed ?
Nah...he dressed most games this year...don't think he played. Didn't dress at the tournament. I think it was simply a reward for sticking with it...even though Lieberg and Weber were the clearly the top two goalies. Actually, I think there were two other senior goalies who didn't even try out because of goalie depth, but Gaasvig stuck it out.

On a side note, I don't think Weber made an 'A' team until second year of Bantams...really worked hard to get where he is.
Last edited by Deathblow on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bauerman

Post by bauerman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:29 pm

i think what this year in class A and in prior years also shows is that the top class A teams can easily play with the top class AA in any given year the problem for most class A teams is that there maybe a big gap in years in which they could compete with the big AA teams year in and year out. I would suspect that EGF could have played at least as well as say Stillwater or a few other AA teams this year, which makes the 16 team tourney a compeling alternative, 8 AA, 8 A seed them and see what happens. We have to get rid of this superior AA mentality. The AA tourney is certainly deeper but by no means the best 8 teams A or AA in the state