A few things about the tourney

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

upnorthfan

A few things about the tourney

Post by upnorthfan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:55 pm

Edina unfortunately is very good. Roseau was better than the credit many of you gave them. Zach Yon was the best forward in the tournament. Edina has game, unfortunately very little class to go with it. The officiating as a whole was mediocre at best. But still hard not to enjoy the state tournament!

MNHockeyFan

Re: A few things about the tourney

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:13 am

upnorthfan wrote:Zach Yon was the best forward in the tournament.
Very very skilled player obviously, but when I saw him against LN it was like the coach told him to save his energy. He played in spurts, doing next to nothing defensively until he got the puck. It seemed to me that this style was necessary, because Roseau didn't have a lot of depth up front and needed Yon out there at 100% as much as possible, for the offensive threat that he posed. Put him on a deep team like Edina and he would probably play an entirely different style, as he will no doubt have to do at the next level.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:19 am

I was very disappointed with the defense in this tourney. I don't know if others will agree with me but I would much rather see low scoring, grind it out games. I don't think all the upsets in sections served it well this year.

hockeyfan2150

Post by hockeyfan2150 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:24 am

Edina has never had class. Giles has no class. Refs were terrible all season, watched many games and MSHSL should be ashamed.

HornetsFan

Post by HornetsFan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:27 am

hockeyfan2150 wrote:Edina has never had class. Giles has no class. Refs were terrible all season, watched many games and MSHSL should be ashamed.
Care to explain how Edina/Curt Giles has no class?

Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:30 am

MegaMan wrote:I was very disappointed with the defense in this tourney. I don't know if others will agree with me but I would much rather see low scoring, grind it out games. I don't think all the upsets in sections served it well this year.
I would agree that defense is a position that more attention should be given at all levels of hockey but after watching EGF put on a clinic, some have figured it out.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:01 am

MegaMan wrote:I was very disappointed with the defense in this tourney. I don't know if others will agree with me but I would much rather see low scoring, grind it out games. I don't think all the upsets in sections served it well this year.
Personally, if I really liked 1-0 games I'd be more of a soccer fan than a hockey fan! I much prefer a good balance between good offense and good defense. No scoring = boring, in my book, and that's what happens when defense smothers out offense. Give me a good 3-2 or 4-3 game - that's about perfect.

I do agree though that when games become very one-sided, like we saw in both championship games this year (7-3 and 8-2) the excitement created by all the pretty goals goes away at the point at which it becomes clear which team is going to win.

Bottom line: I like to see a few goals scored by both teams in a close, evenly contested hard-fought game.

GPGT

Post by GPGT » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:09 am

Not the best tourney by any means.. Imo the quarterfinals were the most fun for me to watch.. 2 lopsided title games didn't help much either..

Although it will never happen,I would love to have seen EGF play Edina, that would have been the best game of the tourney..

Also would like to have seen egf or edina play Verona (WI).. Seems that Verona and Notre Dame (WI) always have teams that would crack the MN top 5

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:47 pm

I really didn't like how the Edina players were taking dives when other players would give them a love tap... but I also saw it from Lakeville a couple times too. Wish HS refs weren't so chicken ***t and would call that crap. I do think the tourney would have been better with Blaine, Hill and Wayzata but only because they would've had better chances to take Edina down rather than Stillwater or Eagan. I still don't think anyone would've beat Edina though. They had the most skill and it is obvious they're very well coached. They were always in the right places at the right times. I thought North would be able to move the puck fast enough to possibly give Edina a run but they were just too good. I wonder where they would be considered for all time best. Definitely not better than Jefferson in the 90s but would love to see that matchup. Overall it was a great tourney as usual. Roseau-North game was great. EP-North game was great. Had high hopes for Stillwater and was a bit surprised to see Eagan dominate East. I thought Yon and Spinner were top players. #4 for EP looked great and was impressed with Tyler Nanne. I don't think #5 for Eagan ever came off the ice all weekend. I just love being in St. Paul for the tourney every year. Can't wait for next year.

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:04 pm

Must not have watched Edina than..? Gave up 4 goals the whole tournament and only 14 shots in the championship. There defense was outstanding

gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Hornets fan, if you have to ask, then you just don't get it.

4, Edina's defense was good, but it benefited from the forwards back checking hard and their speed. Not all of them have speed, but enough to make the D's job be much easier.

cake83

Post by cake83 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:42 pm

green4 wrote:
Must not have watched Edina than..? Gave up 4 goals the whole tournament and only 14 shots in the championship. There defense was outstanding
I was going to say the exact same thing. It seems so short-sighted to complain about the lack of defense when the winning team (and the third place team - Eagan) were the strongest in the state this year. Stillwater also kept things close with everyone except Edina (White Bear Lake, Hill Murray, Duluth East)... Defense proved extremely valuable this year.

ShootNScore88

Post by ShootNScore88 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Defense and goaltending sucked this tournament. 1st or 2nd shot of almost every game went in. Eagan goalie looked decent otherwise most of the goalies looked awful.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:53 pm

I've got a couple of questions that may be cleared up on the board here.

First, for as long as I can remember, there was no running time during tournament games that are televised. But there was RT last night at then end of the game. It was only in the last minute. Did the officials (on ice or penalty box) just make an executive decision because the game was getting gout of hand and the outcome was not in doubt?

Second, there was a goal disallowed after review during the Edina-Stillwater game. It was pretty clear during the play that and Edina forward had interfered with the goalie, resulting in the goalie being out of position longer than he otherwise would have been. (He had went behind the goal line voluntarily initially.) While the goalie was out of position, Edina passed the puck around to the other side of the rink and a forward shot. A Stillwater defenseman made a great save, there was a rebound and Edina scored.

At no time did the on-ice officials make a call regarding the goalie interference. The review took forever and ultimately the goal was disallowed due to the interference, though it was called something else.

Here is my question: The violation occurred well before the goal, and had an indirect effect on the play. What if the infraction had occurred at the Edina end, there was a break away and a goal? How long beforehand can an un-called infraction negate a goal? Ten seconds? Thirty? A minute?
Exactly how much leeway does the replay official have?

What if an offensive penalty call is missed while advancing into the zone? Interference and tripping calls are missed frequently. If tripping is not called when it should be and the goal is reviewed to determine if the puck completely crossed the goal line, can the replay official also overturn the goal due to the tripping that was missed?

At some point, even if a call is missed, the just needs to continue on.

BogeyMan

Post by BogeyMan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:33 pm

Lots of empty seats at this years tourney. I saw lots of empty seats in the upper deck of last nights Championship game. During the 3rd period of the Eagan-DE game Thursday night if there were 3000 fans remaining in the building I would be shocked.

Interest level in one of Minnesota's HS sporting treasures continues to diminish IMO - despite what the media will report about the attendance numbers and records. They are trying to tell us that all is well when it really is not.

Is it true this is the first year that the MSHSL did not compensate any of the 16 participating teams for hotels, food, buses, etc? If so, that should tell you something right there.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:53 pm

BogeyMan wrote:Lots of empty seats at this years tourney. I saw lots of empty seats in the upper deck of last nights Championship game. During the 3rd period of the Eagan-DE game Thursday night if there were 3000 fans remaining in the building I would be shocked.

Interest level in one of Minnesota's HS sporting treasures continues to diminish IMO - despite what the media will report about the attendance numbers and records. They are trying to tell us that all is well when it really is not.

Is it true this is the first year that the MSHSL did not compensate any of the 16 participating teams for hotels, food, buses, etc? If so, that should tell you something right there.
One of the potential reasons for empty upper deck seats last night was the fact that Eagan's student section didn't abandon the team after the Edina loss, and showed up in numbers for the earlier third place game. =D>

Students, as a general rule, don't stay for the late game after their team has played (whether it's a QF, Semi-final, or Final game).

clean ice

Post by clean ice » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:20 pm

How about Hermantown loosing for the 5th consecutive year. Saying it felt better loosing to a public school. Load of crap. Maybe time for a new coaching staff.

GPGT

Post by GPGT » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Did I just completely miss it or was there no video montage highlighting all the big plays like they always used to do? That was one of my favorite parts of the tourney, seeing all the great highlights, rolled into a little music video..

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:11 pm

GPGT wrote:Did I just completely miss it or was there no video montage highlighting all the big plays like they always used to do? That was one of my favorite parts of the tourney, seeing all the great highlights, rolled into a little music video..
They played it just before going off the air last night. Hope they make it available because it was excellent.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:13 pm

GPGT wrote:Did I just completely miss it or was there no video montage highlighting all the big plays like they always used to do? That was one of my favorite parts of the tourney, seeing all the great highlights, rolled into a little music video..
You completely missed it. :(

But lucky for you, they've now posted it on youtube. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0KjDIR ... e=youtu.be

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:05 pm

gorilla1 wrote:Hornets fan, if you have to ask, then you just don't get it.
In my many years of experience whenever I've heard that answer, it's come from someone who really has no answer. :P

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:13 am

C-dad wrote:
gorilla1 wrote:Hornets fan, if you have to ask, then you just don't get it.
In my many years of experience whenever I've heard that answer, it's come from someone who really has no answer. :P
Still waiting, gorilla....