Malmquist

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nostalgic Nerd

Malmquist

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Feel free to chime in. The thing I remember about Malmquist during last year's tourney is that he could get knocked off his skates and seem to be kinda weak in that regard, but he'd get back up and make checks. He had a lot of fight. Hurley had the best first game, but the last two it was Malmquist IMO.

Also, who is the best skater on Edina, Malmquist, Munson?
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Sats81

Re: Malmquist

Post by Sats81 »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:Feel free to chime in. The thing I remember about Malmquist during last year's tourney is that he could get knocked off his skates and seem to be kinda weak in that regard, but he'd get back up and make checks. He had a lot of fight. Hurley had the best first game, but the last two it was Malmquist IMO.

Also, who is the best skater on Edina, Malmquist, Munson?
Neither. Bellows.
57special

Post by 57special »

Bellows is a beast, but skating is his weak point, if he has one.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

57special wrote:Bellows is a beast, but skating is his weak point, if he has one.
Guess I didn't read clearly. Thought when he said best "skater" he meant best "player", who in my opinion is Bellows.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

It's clear Sats spent the morning at Tommy Rieds for bloody marys and the afternoon at McGoverns. Nanne, Malmquist, Fidler and Munson best players. Best skater is Nanne without any doubt.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:It's clear Sats spent the morning at Tommy Rieds for bloody marys and the afternoon at McGoverns. Nanne, Malmquist, Fidler and Munson best players. Best skater is Nanne without any doubt.
Nanne is a good skater, but Masterman is as fast, if not faster. Fidler is not a good skater, but could be their best player. Bellows is neither.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Bellows will end up being the best hockey player out of anyone on that team. Mark this post. Anyone who has watched this team more than 2 times and knows anything about the game would agree.
green4

Post by green4 »

Sats81 wrote:Bellows will end up being the best hockey player out of anyone on that team. Mark this post. Anyone who has watched this team more than 2 times and knows anything about the game would agree.
Bellows could very become the best of any of these players because he has the size and shot but he needs to work on skating. Wait and Zuhlsdorf are some other sophomores that could be very good in upcoming years.

to answer the original post I think the Best player this year was Fidler. The best skater is Malmquist or Nanne. The best player Edina has is Malmquist in my opinion.
ER17

Nanne

Post by ER17 »

Does anyone else see a lot of similarities between Nanne and Ness? Both great skaters, handle the puck well, lacking in size.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Bellows will be a first round pick in two years.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

old goalie85 wrote:Bellows will be a first round pick in two years.
Unless you're talking junior drafts, he won't be old enough in 2 years. He's young enough to be a freshman, in 3 though, I agree. Great vision and hands, quick hard shot, strong and an edge to him. He does need to keep working on his skating, though he looked pretty fast last night.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

In my opinion Malmquist took one for the team this year. He spent the first half of the season on the second line, skating on his off wing with two sophomores. About a dozen games ago they moved Malmquist to center and moved another speedier sophomore up to right wing and Edina has been undefeated since then. He also may be the most dangerous penalty killer I have ever seen (Henry Boucha aside). He gets my vote as Edina's best talent.
Sartellcelly

hornets

Post by Sartellcelly »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:In my opinion Malmquist took one for the team this year. He spent the first half of the season on the second line, skating on his off wing with two sophomores. About a dozen games ago they moved Malmquist to center and moved another speedier sophomore up to right wing and Edina has been undefeated since then. He also may be the most dangerous penalty killer I have ever seen (Henry Boucha aside). He gets my vote as Edina's best talent.
Given this string started with "who is," I will focus on that:

It's a coin toss for best player: Fidler or Malmquist.
Nanne is the best skater. Malmquist close behind. Each are excellent for what their positions require.
Malmquist was Edina's best player vs. Stillwater. He did it all, and did it all game long.
Bellows is filled with potential.
puckbreath

Re: Nanne

Post by puckbreath »

ER17 wrote:Does anyone else see a lot of similarities between Nanne and Ness? Both great skaters, handle the puck well, lacking in size.
Considering Ness had several times more points, never had grandpa get him a spot - twice if I'm not mistaken - at the US camp, no :P
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

puckbreath wrote:
ER17 wrote:Does anyone else see a lot of similarities between Nanne and Ness? Both great skaters, handle the puck well, lacking in size.
Considering Ness had several times more points, never had grandpa get him a spot - twice if I'm not mistaken - at the US camp, no :P

Ahh. The hating on Nanne continues. I will say I don't think older brother Louie had no business whatsoever being drafted and no business even playing D1, i do think Tyler is more than deserving of all the accolades he has received. Kids a player. Anyone who denies that is insane.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:Kids a player. Anyone who denies that is insane.
He consistently makes very good decisions, very smart, rarely turns it over, and makes great passes.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Sats81 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:

Ahh. The hating on Nanne continues. I will say I don't think older brother Louie had no business whatsoever being drafted and no business even playing D1, i do think Tyler is more than deserving of all the accolades he has received. Kids a player. Anyone who denies that is insane.
Ah, the hating of the truth continues.

Definitely a good player.

Of course, anyone who denies he got some very nice perks along the way, is also insane. :wink:
50cent

Post by 50cent »

puckbreath wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
puckbreath wrote: Considering Ness had several times more points, never had grandpa get him a spot - twice if I'm not mistaken - at the US camp, no :P

Ah, the hating of the truth continues.

Definitely a good player.

Of course, anyone who denies he got some very nice perks along the way, is also insane. :wink:
Hands down Nanne was and the best in the State tourny FOR the Hornets. Kid sk8ed the puck out when the opposing team tryed to 4check or he would make a great heads up pass. Kid can hit when he wants. He set up or was involed in lots of the scoring. Hey someone should rename this a Nanne tread...
nobama

Post by nobama »

a nhl gm said it was Ben Foley :roll:
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

nobama wrote:a nhl gm said it was Ben Foley :roll:
Wow. I thought Foley was solid (frankly he was better than I expected) but certainly not on a level with Nanne.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

I'm still waiting for the punch line on the NHL GM statement. No defenseman was close to Nanne for Edina.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

nobama wrote:a nhl gm said it was Ben Foley :roll:
Might he have been thinking NHL potential?
nobama

Post by nobama »

nuts and bolts nanne wasn't playing defense foley was.. :idea:
50cent

Post by 50cent »

nobama wrote:nuts and bolts nanne wasn't playing defense foley was.. :idea:
??? Nanne wasn't playing Defense? You must be joking right? Like I said Naane was hands down the best player for Edina in the tournament. He was also the best Defenseman it the tournament class A and AA. I will even go farther and say he was the best player on the ice through out the state tournament.

Or who else would you put infront of Nanne?